Start by marking “Slawter (The Demonata, #3)” as Want to Read:
Slawter (The Demonata, #3)

Slawter

(The Demonata #3)

Lights. Camera. Slawter!

Grubbs Grady and his half-brother Bill-E are thrilled to join their uncle Dervish as onset consultants for the newest movie by cult horror producer David A Hayms. Shot in a deserted town renamed Slawter, the demon-themed movie is to be Hayms's masterpiece. But as strange incidents disrupt the set, Grubbs begins to wonder whether more than filming is
Published August 1st 2008 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Slawter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slawter

Start your review of Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Slawter (The Demonata #30), Darren Shan
The book is set about a year after Lord Loss takes place. When the story takes place Dervish, who has just returned from his battle with Lord Loss, a horror movie producer named Davida Haym offers Dervish a chance to work on the set of her new movie, "Slawter". He wakes up and finds himself in a small room in one of buildings that make up the town Slawter. Dervish and Bill-E are also in the room with him and he uses special magic to wake them up. The three
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

It's hard for me when a book jumps between perspectives of characters from book to book. The first book had Grubbs, the second was back in time and introducing Kernel, then the third book is back to Grubbs again - and previewing the fourth, they're introducing a new character entirely. The same villain is present and all these characters will tie together with the Disciples fighting the Demonata.

This may be the weakest of the first three. I was pleased to return to Grubbs because I like the char
Nərmin
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans
Recommended to Nərmin by: Pouya KHD
Darren Shan books are full of horror, mystery and chills. This books also delivered what was expected. Sometimes it made me cringe and sent chills down my spine. Recommended for horror fans.
Jamie Rose
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Grubs has been taking care of Dervish since their battle with Lord Loss left his uncle a bit worse for wear. Bill-E has almost no idea of what Grubs and Dervish went through to save him.

Unexpectedly, a celebrated horror movie director gets in touch, wanting Dervish to act as a consultant on an epic horror movie about demons. After some persuasion, Dervish agrees and takes Grubs and Bill- E to the set with him.

It doesn't take long for Lord Loss and his hell babies to show up and make things diffi
Chappy
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God I was a lazy so and so back in the day, good thing I'm rereading this series and doing reviews along the way, how else would people know my various opinions about this brilliant series...tut tut

This is the point of the story in which I thought shit has really begun to hit the fan, in the last two books there have been several instances of demonata appearances and destruction on earth, but these have usually been isolated and contained to a few murders without any follow up, slawter however I
Jason
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
3.5 Stars

Slawter book 3 of Darren Shan's Demonata is a good fast read. The third time out is not exactly a charm. This is the shallowest scoped and weakest of the first three novels. Reading this immediately after reading my favorite book two Demon Thief only made this one seem even smaller.

The plot in this one narrows down our adventure to one little town and the filming of a movie called Slawter. As a result the situations that arise are small in comparison to the previous books. Top this off
I'mogén
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so glad to come back to the original characters of the Grady's, from Lord Loss!
I felt like everything not necessarily fell into place (cause it didn't need that), but gave some background and perspective into the life of Dervish and with that newfound knowledge I was able to appreciate him more as a character and understand subtleties I wouldn't have been able to without the information the second book gave me... But we aren't here to talk about book two!

This book was awesome! I loved it w
Max
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quarter-1
This book the 3rd one is continuing the story off book one. A really famous movie maker is inviting Uncle Dervish to help her make one craz horror movie called SLAWTER. Grubbs suspect there is something fishy with the movie maker because from the prototypes on dvd they look kind of real like the demons Grubb have faced in book one. Once they are on the scene Grubbs couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a demon tear apart his friend away when it's actual real but everyone thought it was fake sinc ...more
Clare
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5 stars.

This book was brilliant fun.
As warped as it's going to sound, I really enjoyed it - in all it's cheesy, gorey madness.

The way that the series is developing is something I hoped for from the moment I picked up the first book, and seeing these characters progress and become better versions of themselves it awesome.

The writing still got to me a little at points. Where it felt more of a list than the telling of a story, but it was so much better than the first two books.

I can'
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking place after Lord Loss, this book brings us back to the story of Grubbs.

There is much character development for Grubbs, along with a lot more being found out about the magic in the universe. Fast paced and filled with action, this book is enjoyable leaving you on the edge of your seat throughout and more than willing to continue on with the series at the next chance you get to find out what comes next.
Charles
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ricardo
Slawter is an extremely well written book in which the atmosphere is incredibly tense, the plot was as always good and filled you with one thing: despair. You are never satisfied sometimes you can feel that the characters that you are rooting for didn´t win at all. The book is filled with lots of despair and horror. The description is always gory so it never misses the details. I will read it again for fun.
Tyler Grossman
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme is believe even if no one believes you. Because there in a town called Slawter for a movie production about demons and Grubbs realizes that there is real demons not fake demons wearing costumes. But no one believes him when he trys to tell everyone.
Γιώργος Μπελαούρης
back to meh
even the fact that the main hero unlocks his magic didnt amaze me :(
also the ''cursed studio'' tingy i think it waz in the third dresden files too bt there it waz awesome
i liked some of the humor, to be fair, and -as always- dervish
Dominic Kennedy Snodgrass
It was a good,scary, and weird book all at the same time
Ninth
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love a Massacre
Recommended to Ninth by: NUMEY!!!
4 stars for the grand Slawter!

More gore. More Guts. More demons.

"LIGHTS. CAMERA. SLAWTER!"

Warning: Do not read the book if you hate reading about people getting butchered, old and young alike.

So... Here we are again. Roughly 25 years after the events of Demon thief(and 1 year after Lord Loss)

Those of you who haven't read the 1st book will find the first two chapters interesting as the protagonist gives a quick recap. For others, it may seem irritating(like how I felt)

Anyway..
Grubbs Grady is
Kenny Bellew
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This is book 3 in the series. It was okay, but I'll probably not read #4. It's just too juvenile at times for my preference. ...more
Holly
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ah yes, the book that I don't know if I enjoy it or if I actually hate it. Apparently my feelings regarding this book haven't changed much since I was a teen. I think it's a really necessary book for the rest of the series, but it also makes me miserable and not quite in the same way the rest of these depressing books do. I just love to torture myself I guess. I wanted to punch everyone, Grubs, Dervish, Bill-e (though actually not as much as the rest of them). Basically everyone in this book is ...more
Celine
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
My literature teacher said to class once: a writer that writes countless books, writes the same story over and over again. And I think there is a core of truth in this.

Darren Shan writes an insane amount of books in such a short time period. He publishes two books every single year. And what most people forget is that he actually is still fairly young; according to his Goodreads page he isn't even forty yet. By the time he's too old to write he will have written enough for the library to dedicat
Lauren
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: old
The Demonata series is pretty great for teen horror fiction, but so much of what I don't like about the author's style seeped into this one, making it my least favourite of the series.

This book is just as fast-paced and fun as the previous two, but it lacks their depth. Lord Loss is barely in this one, and most of the story is devoted to a painfully slow realization that isn't nearly as clever as the ending to Demon Thief. It is briefly interesting to get to see the motivations of the Demonata's
Gui
I liked Slawter. I'm rating it 3 stars because Demon Thief, book #2, was really good and it set my expectations too high I guess.

Grubbs, Bill-E, and Dervish are back and raising hell again. This time in a town named Slawter, where a horror movie is being made.

In this book, Grubbs learns more about the Demonata while facing old enemies and about himself in regards to his magical powers.

Again, I listened to the audiobook which was really good. Congratulations are in order for voice actor Rupert De
Max
Oct 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who read the first Demonata book.
Shelves: advisory
This book was about Grubs Grady and how he managed to live as an uncle-adopted orphan. His parents and sister got killed because his parents lost a deal to heal Lycanthropy (a term for werewolf transformation). The deal was with a demon who has no heart, no feelings, and feeds on sorrow (or what idiots call: Emo). This book tells how a boy takes care of his cousin, and becomes a movie star, only to see several genuine murders take place.
I really liked this book because it explains the personali
Glenn Johnson
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Very happy with the fact that I finished this in a day! So now for my thoughts: for me, this book is when the series starts to feel like a series. The first book feels like it could be a stand alone book, since it definitively ends in a way. The second develops the story a bit more, gives us some more questions but in the end the story doesn't necessarily feel like it's part of a series, perhaps just backstory for characters if not for a few elements. But this book really gives that series feel, ...more
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves gore, action and laughs all rolled into one!
Recommended to Liberty by: My son
The Demonata series continues--this time we jump back to the characters from Book 1, Grubbs, Dervish and Bill-E. In this book they are called in to be expert consultants on a movie called Slawter. The movie is all about demons.
I don't want to go any futher into describing the book as it would be impossible to avoid spoilers, but I can say this was a fantastic book!
Full of gore, action, and believe it or not some laugh out loud moments, Darran Shan once again delivers a 5 star book! I can't wait
Shanon
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Grubs is off to Hollywood! Okay, maybe not Hollywood - but along with his uncle he does get involved in making a movie. Scary!

This series isn't the deepest or most thought provoking series around but I enjoy it just the same. The world is unique and the action is pretty much non-stop. In Slawter we go back to the story of Grubbs (in book #1) and his uncle. Some of the Disciples from book #2 make a reappearance. Grubbs is an impressive little boy - he's brave, magical and witty. While some of his
Selina Ma
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 8th-grade
Siobhan Johnson
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A reread of an old favourite.

Lord Loss goes to the movies! This entire book would be worth it for the scene where Lord Loss decides to briefly become a film star alone, but to be honest absolutely all of it is great. I absolutely adore the setting, the characters get a lot of really interesting stuff to do (JUNI! BO! GRUBBSSSSS!) and it just feels really well put together. Another wonderful entry in probably my favourite book series.
Carien
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
I had a bit of a rocky start with this series, but it's getting better each book.

Shan even managed to surprise me in this book. In the Cirque du Freak books I could see things coming from miles away, but here I actually was wrong about a few things that happened.

This is a fun, action-packed romp with misdirections, mayhem and demons.

I'll be picking up the next book soon.
Luke Markham
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Younger teens
Shelves: fiction-owned
The third book in the Demonata series, this story lacked a lot of the excitement of the previous two. I found most of it to be a bit of a slog to read and overall the story was not particularly engaging until the very end.
Holly
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
As for Shan's writing, all I can say is, at least he tried... ...more
Why is the main character so strong? 3 24 May 10, 2014 03:12AM

• Nightrise (Power of Five, #3)
  • Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl #6)
  • Lachen aus dem Dunkel / Ein Schatten fällt auf Erlengrund
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • از طرف آبری با عشق
  • خیزش خاک (پادشاهی جهان، #1)
  • Another [アナザー] 2nd period
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • The Night Parade
  • 食戟のソーマ 5 [Shokugeki no Souma 5] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #5)
  • City of Stars (Stravaganza, #2)
  • من او
  • لیلی نام تمام دختران زمین است
  • The Ethan I Was Before
  • یادت باشد
  • جوانمرد نام ديگر تو
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

The Demonata (10 books)
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)
  • Bec (The Demonata, #4)
  • Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)
  • Demon Apocalypse (The Demonata, #6)
  • Death's Shadow (The Demonata, #7)
  • Wolf Island (The Demonata, #8)
  • Dark Calling (The Demonata, #9)
  • Hell's Heroes (The Demonata, #10)