Start by marking “The Little Book of Trading: Trend Following Strategy for Big Winnings” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Little Book of Tra...

Michael W. Covel

The Little Book of Trading: Trend Following Strategy for Big Winnings

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
How to get past the crisis and make the market work for you again The last decade has left people terrified of even the safest investment opportunities. This fear is not helping would-be investors who could be making money if they had a solid plan. The Little Book of Trading teaches the average person rules and philosophies that winners use to beat the market, regardless o ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Trading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Trading

Russ
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book offers vignettes of various trend following traders. It is breezy and entertaining - perfect for the beach or a rainy summer day. You won't learn how to trade or how to build a trading system. but you may learn more about trading psychology and the attitudes necessary to be successful in stock trading.
Franklin Aquino
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Inspiring for Unorthodox Traders

Mr. Covel does a wonderful job explaining the intuition behind a trend following approach. He expertly weaves in stories and anecdotes from successful trend followers to paint a picture of success for the reader.
Kylie Young
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds like he just wanted to be different for the sake of being different, so that he can reveal a traders 'secret to success'. I'll put it with the conspiracy theory books
Frederic Bontemps
This short book offers some titbits on trading and the trader's mindset. Emotions are the enemy of the successful trader. If you have a probability of losing it all on a trade, you will not succeed longterm.

My takeaway is the basic advice of following a system and quantifying your results monthly and/or yearly based on prices alone. The best way to come up with and execute a trading system is study the some of the successful traders mentioned. The enemy of successful trading is seeking "perfect
David Ingvarsson
The author is annoyingly ignorant about other styles of trading/investing then the one he believes in (trend following). Hard to say if the author really lacks understanding of, for example, fundamental investing or just Wants to sell his books by pretending trend following is the only way to go. Also annoying that he never present any proven system, just talk about things like "let your winnings run, cut your losses short". Still think book contains some value for people completely new to trend ...more
Helen Mary Labao Barrameda
A refreshing read. Covel has a way with words which makes even the seemingly dry and mechanical world of trading bustle with life. It’s not the one with the charts. If you’re after a reference with charts, this is not the trading book to pick from your shelf. But it would be similar to positive mind setting that Joe Ross is also known for.
Brett Kronewitter
Superficial view of the trend following concept. No discussion of actual models or examples.
Williamprasetyo
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its quite good , But too much story in it
Darius
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though I'm dubious about full-fledged "technical" traders, someone recommended Covel's larger book and I settled on the "little book" as a compromise. The book has left me unconvinced. I think some ideas from technical analysis should be incorporated into an investor's toolkit, but not a full-blown approach.

However, even for someone who finds technical analysis more plausible that I do, this book falls short. Much of it is very general, modern-pulpit, motivational-style life advice: get over irr
JC
Sep 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-firsttime, 2013
A friend handed this book to me to read after I mentioned that I was interested in investing in the stock market. I really like the ideas presented here, but I'm a huge beginner in the stock market so I didn't understand a lot of the terms and things that were being thrown around here (for example, I had to ask how you short a stock). The idea is awesome, but I have no idea where to start. I'd need a lot more training I feel to really come up with a solid strategy for trend trading. Definitely i ...more
JP
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is distinct from his others because it's oriented around several lasting, experienced traders. Instead of sharing dozens of strategies, Covel looks more deeply at how each of them got started and how they have prevailed over time. Key points include that trading strategies should work in a variety of product markets, that risk management is key, and that successful traders tend to buck normal psychology, such as by riding their gains.
Viraj
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance-etc
Audiobook.
I don't believe in trading. But psychology is important. humans as a group continue to behave similarly over time. That's why trading could work. Trailing stop loss is interesting. I don't think that there's much point to trade outside of roth due to tax consequences.
I want to review the successful traders' strategies. The author should have had all names in index etc listed.
Vikas Suresh
I was expecting more details and technical stuff but what it really is a distilled version of interviews. I would suggest read/re-read the little book of market wizards than picking up this one. I just couldn't go to the end as I did not see any benefit from reading it.
Sundaram Shanmugam
Best book I found

It is all about trend following. It is a short read but was very helpful to understand trend trading and how traders who are trend followers have performed.
Osaigbovo Uka
this is a great book for people that keep full time jobs. it shows explains money management skills
Chris Henthorn
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strategy is necessary whether it's swing, or trend... develop a plan and trade your plan.
Saud
Feb 11, 2015
Schneider Heim
Jun 08, 2015
Ben B
rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2017