Start by marking “Balkan Magic” as Want to Read:
Balkan Magic

Balkan Magic

(Annika Brisby #1)

"Don't do it, Annika," he taunted. His eyes were no longer bright and charming but dark and intense, yet they still twinkled. He was tempting, but was he harmful?

Aspiring rock star Annika Brisby thinks she knows where her life is going until she steps through a broken portal that leaves her stranded in a realm of fairies, vampires, and other mythical beings. Unable to retu
Paperback
Published by CreateSpace (first published November 25th 2008)

The Glassed And The Furious
I am definitely a minority here but I didn't like this book.A writer, in my opinion, shouldn't start out a story by throwing shade at one type (not even a character but a type) and make the protagonist look like a perfect victim at the same time. This is exactly what happened here. The only thing we learn about Annika in the first chapter is that she left her fiance. The author tries to shed some light on this relationship that was doomed from the start but in reality it's just a "take Annika's ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
'The Flame and the Arrow' by Emigh Cannaday is the story of Annika and Talvi. This is book one in "The Annika Brisby' Series. This book is about 418 pages that does have a cliffhanging end that is setting you up for the continues story of Annika and Talvi.
I was really surprised by how much I liked this story and how it drew me in. It has really good secondary characters
Annika is going to visit family to take a break after going through a relationship break. There she meets Talvi in a book stor
Mary
"Because you're a stupid blonde airhead."

It's fine to have a MC with flaws but if she thinks she's da BOMB and nothing bad happens to her unless it's to give the love interest points GOOD. BYE.

Annika's been dating Danny, a rich man who she speaks nothing but ill of. Naturally, because she and her friend call him a pig and etc he must be so! After all, just because she's been living with Danny for months, had to endure a proposal with a stable future ahead of her, and had to *le gasp* broaden her
Mimi
May 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: Vaginal Fantasy group read
The fuck did I just read.

This book is offered for free on kindle, and the only good thing I can say about it is at least I didn't buy it, but I am paying for it one way or another...

The blame for this book and others like it lie at the feet of Stephenie Mayer. She inspired a whole generation of people who can't write to think they can write, and the rise of Amazon and the self-publishing industry made it possible for all these people to crank out these ridiculous Stockholm-syndrome-esque paranor
♛ Garima ♛
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
I'm bored to death. DNF at around 24%

Quirkyreader
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that the "Flame And The Arrow" was a good adventure story with a romantic story line thrown in. "Lord Of The Rings" fans will greatly enjoy this story.

The premise takes off with what happens to a human who gets trapped in a land with the fair folk, elves, nymphs, and other beings. Does she sink or swim?

With the new Toliken book coming out soon, this would be a good companion volume.
Shayay
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Flame and the Arrow, Annika is an American, who visit her Uncle overseas, and meets some interesting, unique people at a bookstore, one of which, is the very handsome and alluring Talvi, but Annika is unsure of them, so she runs from them. Annika thinks of Talvi, but tries to move on with a hike before she heads back home, but she ends up getting pulled through a portal to a land of mythical beings, and ends up being trapped there. Annika needs to find a way home, but she also finds out s ...more
Megan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story... buuuuut I did not like Talvi... at all. He was a terrible love interest. I wanted her to end up with the druid guy. Nicholas (SP?). He was cool and he had badass powers. But no, Annika had to be a stupid girl and pick the guy that didn't treat her well. Sigh. I want to know what happens next but I do not want to see how their relationship progresses.
Brandi
This book started out okay for the first quarter. Then it took a steady, steep decline. Annika and Talvi are annoying in their flip-flopping all-encompassing love (lust) and jealous hatred of each other.
A few of the side characters are good, but even these ones fall into the same irritating and useless actions and dialogue.
I would not have finished this book if it wasn't the Vaginal Fantasy main pick for this month. Thank goodness it was free on Kindle!
⋆☆☽ Kriss ☾☆⋆
My mind was pretty made up about this book before the halfway mark, but I was able to make it to the end. Before we go on, I highly doubt I’ll be reading the next books. That said, I won’t call this a terrible book, I'm sure in some hands it is likeable as proven by the many 4 and 5 stars reviews, but I honestly took no joy in reading it. Yet again, a kindle freebie tricked me. At least I don’t have to worry about getting a refund; I can just delete it and forget about it.

From the way the book w
Nicole Dunton
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annika is devastated and confused not knowing where her life is heading. She decides to take time away from her life to spend at her uncle's for a brief time away. While there, she meets a mysterious man who intrigues her attention. The circumstances that follow them meeting gets her trapped in another realm with types of people she didn't even know existed.

This book is so creative and imaginative! I just couldn't get enough of it! I loved it! I listened to it in an audio book, but I will find a
Marianne
Hours and hours of mundanity. Strange thing to say about a book set in alternate word, I know, but nothing interesting really happened.

Oh yes and the male love interest told his soul mate that she smelled like a whore. Cute, right?

Patrice
I received an e-book copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book. This is the first book in the Annika Brisby series. It has many elements to it and labeled as Dark Fantasy Paranormal Romance. There are fairies, elves, samodivi, vampires, humans, trolls, etc. The story itself flows well and I found it to be well written with a few places where it seemed as if the author had different choices of words to be used in one place and wasn't sure about the ones to be use ...more
Melani
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 15%. Badly, badly in need of an editor
Alicia Huxtable
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I found this story to be a really good one. The characters, storyline etc, all fit so well and just worked so well together that three was no way I couldn't like it
Yelena Lugin
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO I started out feeling a little uncertain about this book... I likes aspects about it and didn't like other things.
Some of the scenes and lines felt awkward to me. The romance was at times awkward.
The thing I had a biggest problem with was how unrealistic some of the events were. And not in the fantasy unrealistic way but in the natural way. Like, boy tells you he can read your mind... The appropriate reaction is to at least give this information some thought... some acknowledgement that it's
Brittany (Verge of Wisteria)
I'm not sure where to start on this one.

The story itself was decent, but I felt like the author had a list of events she wanted to take place and when and she meant they were going to happen. It felt forced and rushed in a lot of places. It had potential though. I'm going to read the second book in hopes that Cannaday gained more experience after this book and can let it flow a little more organically.

Let's talk about sex scenes, though, because it was my biggest pet peeve in this. Don't black
Charles Ray
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annika Brisby is an aspiring rock star. When she breaks up with her boyfriend, she’s unsure where her life is heading, so she accepts an invitation from her uncle, Vince, to join him in Bulgaria. While there, she encounters a strange young man and two young women in a book store. Later, when she meets them again in the forest, she follows and is pulled through a portal into a world that she could never have imagined; a world where she learns her heritage.
The Flame and the Arrow by Emigh Cannaday
Randy Harmelink
Jun 10, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
No rating, as I didn't finish the book and only made it to the 17% mark.

The paranormal romance genre is tough for me. I've found some I really enjoy. But I also find a number of well-written books in the genre that just aren't my cup of tea. This is one of those.

When 60% of the story is the female lead gushing her feelings about the male lead, I just can't take it. It just seems like the book is constantly trying to find another way to say, at length, over and over and over again, repeatedly, a
Summer
I really wanted to like this as it was the Vaginal Fantasy pick for this month and it had several good reviews. But it was extremely insta-love to me and felt very flat. There's also the matter that around a third of the way into the book he's referring to her "hot little honeycomb" and how it's "spilling over with nectar." I mean..... SERIOUSLY. WTF.
Minx
This review is based on a complimentary digital copy that I received. It is an honest review and the complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

The Flame and the Arrow took me by surprise and kept me in a state of delight all the way to the wonderful end! I have repeatedly stated that I do indeed have a weakness for books with lovely cover art, so when I was contacted about this book, big thank you to author Emigh Cannaday , I was hooked on sight! Is that cover not jus
Andrea Luhman
Three chapters in and I’m done. The protagonist is immature and I feel no connection or care to what will happen to her.
Nat  ☽
even though I enjoyed it Very much I can only give it 3 stars because the excitement was down to almost zero at times. However the sequel and the final got better ratings so I'm going to be brave here and urge you to read this book nonetheless.
Shannon White
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa

Man what a vivid and beautifully written story. I can actually picture her discription of different things in the book. I really can't wait to read the rest!!
Lexie
...DNF'ed at 30%

Why? I don't like where its headed. I'm not fond of books that jump love interests around and I'd bet my collection Annika is gonna tryst with Talvi while daydreaming about Finn, his brother.

Nah brah got better things to read. I do love the covers tho.
Nina DuBois
I was contacted by the author to read and review this book. I purchased this book and all opinions are my own.

I absolutely loved this book. I looked forward to every second I could get away and pick up where I left off because the world building was so complex and clearly written that I didn't even have to use my imagination. Emigh Cannaday is one hell of a writer and seriously wished this world she created existed. A world where just about supernatural being you can think of exists; elves, wood
Kelly Truelove
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emigh Cannaday Hits the Bullseye with The Flame and the Arrow:

Overall, I was very impressed with the first installment of this series and will be continuing with the second book immediately. My attention was grabbed within the first few pages and held firmly throughout the book. That's really a rarity, so when I find a book that grabs on that tight and maintains that grip consistently enough to keep me eagerly turning the pages, I feel that's an accomplishment worthy of sharing.

Central European/
Jennifer G
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am torn writing this review. Emigh Cannaday is a really good author. She created a parallel world with vivid descriptions and well developed characters. The storyline was entertaining, well thought-out, and well-paced. It also delivered a message without being heavy handed.

My problem with the story centered on the two main characters Annika and Talvi. They seemed to flip flop back and forth from being deeply in love to being truly mean to one another. Annika had a habit of saying hurtful thin
Lynndell
Thank you to Emigh Cannaday for the opportunity to read and review her book, The Flame and the Arrow! This new adult book begins with Annika, a musician who has recently broken up with her fiance and she is talking to her best friend, James, about the events in her life. Annika travels to her Uncle Vince's home in Bulgaria for a well-deserved respite and to recover from the breakup. She goes for a hike in the wilderness and loses her way back to Uncle Vince's home. She eventually sees a person a ...more
Dana
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had some conflicting thoughts about this book. Overall, I enjoyed it and I look forward to continuing the series.

One thing I would have really liked more of was the beginning. I would like to know Danny’s side of the story because I have no clue who he is as a character. Since the book ends with her being back on Earth, I hope to explore more of her old life.

Some of the characters I absolutely loved. Finn is by far my favorite. I found their journey to be completely entertaining, and I loved
Vaginal Fantasy B...: Main Discussion: Flame and Arrow *SPOILERS ALLOWED* 82 343 Jan 10, 2017 03:25AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Questions for 12/1 hangout! 23 204 Dec 01, 2016 02:21PM

• In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)
  • Celtic Skies (Celtic Steel, #3)
  • Born In Blood (Born Hunter, #1)
  • Sylvan Mist (MacLomain, #3)
  • North Wolf
  • Finding Faerie (Pixie Dust Chronicles, #3)
  • Girl, Forsaken (Girl, Vampire #2)
  • Savage Interlude
  • Primal Legacy (Spellbound Tales, #1)
  • Blackmail
  • Realm of Darkness (Infernal Three, #1)
  • Pets in Space: Cats, Dogs, and Other Worldly Creatures (Pets in Space Anthologies, #1)
  • SHIFT (Mackenzie Grey: Origins, #1)
  • Random Psychic (A Shade of Mind, #1)
  • Unclaimed (The Master and His Soul Seer Pet, #3)
  • Into the Void (The Godhunter, #10)
  • Paladin's Prize (Age of Heroes, #1)
  • Here There Be Monsters (Iron Seas, #0.5)
After bouncing around from Paris to Portland, Emigh Cannaday now lives in Wisconsin with her husband and a pack of Welsh Corgis. She grew up drawing, painting, and writing down her elaborate daydreams that focus on nature, intuition, and a bit of magic. She spends her free time testing out new recipes in the kitchen and playing with houseplants and horses.

She also co-hosts the Wine Wars podcast, a

Annika Brisby (4 books)
  • The Silver Thread (Annika Brisby, #2)
  • The Scarlet Tanager (Annika Brisby, #3)
  • The Darkest of Dreams (Annika Brisby, #4)
“No one walks through life unscathed, and it’s how we react to being tested that becomes our legacy.” 2 likes
“When I was growing up, I never understood why other kids never liked to climb trees or explore the woods,” 1 likes