Start by marking “The Art And Science Of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework For Effective Instruction” as Want to Read:

Though classroom instructional strategies should clearly be based on sound science and research, knowing when to use them and with whom is more of an art. In The Art and Science of Teaching: A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction, author Robert J. Marzano presents a model for ensuring quality teaching that balances the necessity of research-based data with the ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2007 by Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development

To ask other readers questions about The Art And Science Of Teaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art And Science Of Teaching

Matt
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
While this book is heavy on "impressive" statistics that are supposed to wow the reader, the ideas and framework questions Marzano presents in this professional development book are not very new ideas. I would recommend this to new teachers and veteran teachers who are burned out and need a fresh perspective to help their students learn effectively.
Fred Gorrell
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teaching, profdev
The way statistics are used in this book, and the way the author has chosen to lump together studies with disparate methodologies, will be disconcerting for many readers with backgrounds in research. My first bias is to forgive that, both because the author fully discloses the limitations inherent in meta-analysis and because the validity of the statistical approach isn't really so important if there is a good suggestion shared that leads to more learning. In any case, I'm less likely to be sway ...more
Kristina
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
If I were an administrator who never taught, this would be incredibly helpful; if I were a first or second year teacher, it would be incredibly helpful. However, really all I got out of it were a couple of reminders. Not altogether bad. I'm just not in a place in my career where this was useful. Definitely useful for the aforementioned professionals.
Josh Aronovitch
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not impressed. Most of the points made are common sense dressed up in the jargon of the day. I am skeptical of a book that relies on research linking various differences in teaching to "student achievement" without digging deeper into how we measure student achievement. All these correlations depend on the reliability of our measurements of student achievement, and I don't think we are good enough at testing what really matters to unquestioningly assume these measures are valid. Overall, disappo ...more
Wendi Klaiber
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I've read two other books written by Marzano, and this book blends the research of many studies with practical application very well. I've been teaching for more than 20 years, and I found this book challenging me to switch up a few things. I highly recommend it to any teacher. In fact, I'm thinking of having the Algebra 1 teacher cohort in my department read it together and discuss at monthly meetings.
Kendall
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: education-books
The information's good....but what gets me is that it is other places and has been all along. I prefer Harry Wong's The First Days of School....which gets it right AND trusts that the teacher knows best. Sigh....those were the good days. Marzano's sudden popularity seems like one more stripe in the road to a national curriculum and merit pay.
Michael Loveless
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: education
The Art and Science of Teaching is not a page turner; the subtitle, "A Comprehensive Framework for Effective Instruction" should have given that away. The book is intended to be a meta-analysis of factors that make up good teaching. It is factual, comprehensive, and filled with citations of educational research. However the style of writing is dry. Also, in many cases the book says things that are obvious to the point that they don't need to be said. For instance few teachers need to be told tha ...more
Pete Jurchen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic synthesis of the best of Marzano's other research works. I plan on keeping this handy as a reference for best practice in curriculum design. Highest recommendation.
Vance J.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heavily sourced, I thought this a good primer on teaching. Reminded me of several things to check on in my own practice this upcoming school year.
Cristina
Simply a collection of educational best practices.
Steve
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Overall, I think this book is helpful, but I did have a couple problems with Marzano's The Art and Science of Teaching. First, as I read through the various strategies, and especially the forced sample student-teacher conversations that went along with them, I got the impression that the book was directed towards teachers within more prestigious school districts. Some of the strategies are universal, but I question the effectiveness of other strategies in a district with real problems. Second, I ...more
Claudia
Nov 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Claudia by: Shirley Simmons
Marzano does a good job here, as he has before, of synthesizing the research and making it understandable and applicable. I read this with an inward eye, assessing my own classroom behaviors and procedures. I would like to spend time talking to colleagues about these questions and how they play out in our practice.I was interested to see him spend time and space discussing the importance of establishing and maintaining relationships. Not necessarily close 'friendly' relationships, but positive, ...more
Andrea Huelsenbeck
Aug 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book about teaching. But, you know what? There are millions of good books about teaching. I read this book because in our school district we teachers are being evaluated on the basis of how well we follow this particular recipe for teaching. I find it frustrating, because I know in a few years we will be required to change the way we teach again to fit whatever new fashion our legislators and administrators become enthralled with. I wish teachers were allowed to self-correct based ...more
Heather Obartuck
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
The county I teach in evaluates instructional coaches and teachers with standards based on Marzano's books. I must admit, when I first read his book, I found myself having to refocus and reread constantly - it just did not hold my interest! After rereading and discussing with my PLC, I began to take more of an interest, especially the chapters on creating effective rubrics and rethinking how homework is assigned and graded. Overall, I would recommend this as a book study for any school looking f ...more
J & J
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
It has been some time now since I read this book (as well as a second Marzano book) and what I've found is that much of what's stated and/or demonstrated in these books is very much based upon the reader or evaluator's interpretation, not necessarily Marzano's intended outcome. In addition, I am yet to find any worthiness in most of his evaluation premises, although, I do find his data compelling and logical. It's unfortunate that in some schools, his general/basic ideals are twisted and then us ...more
Mary
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers
Recommended to Mary by: Other teachers
Shelves: education
This books is a great read for teachers especially those who reside in an area in which teachers are to be evaluated using the Marzano Domains. I found this book to be quite informative even though I do believe most teachers do implement some of these strategies into their own classroom. The book is also beneficial to read especially if you are a beginning teacher like I am. Knowing the lingo will really put a feather in your cap when speaking to other teachers and of course administration.
Karen
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent chapter in here about homework. Every teacher should read and reassess homework.

This is the text Palm Beach County gave the principals and sent them to a workshop. Teachers' evaluations will be based on his research.

I read it, not chapter by chapter, it is kinda dry. I was able to compare what I was doing that was effective. Definitely the chapter on homework is worth reading and sharing with school. I photocopied it.
Amy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is full of research results that support many things I do in the classroom. I also now have a new bucket of tools to incorporate into my lessons. Sometimes I do things and didn't really now why or have a purpose, this text helped me by giving great daily reflection questions to make each part of my lessons meaningful/purposeful. I like the idea of giving parents guidelines for homework. I want to try interactive homework this year!
Gretchen Mary
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book would probably be good for a more seasoned teacher than I am. I read this as a first year teacher but I was still trying to get my classroom management under control before I was ready to delve into the logistics of comprehensive effective instruction. I think that once you are comfortable in the classroom you can perfect your art of teaching but with the first year you are trying to float instead of sink.
Debra
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The ideas in this book are the ones I have heard for years, since I have been teaching for 20+ years. Unfortunately, I now teach virtually and half this book or more deals with the classroom.

Hopefully when we have a speaker next week for our back to school meetings they will focus more on virtual education.
Jennifer Duda
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
Good research-especially on the usefulness of homework and its impact on younger vs. older kids and the use of cooperative groups. Some great ideas too for teachers to use more student self-monitoring to measure progress. I took off one star because the math involved with the graphs was not very user friendly or understandable. I know I'm an English teacher but gee-whiz!
Michelle Nass
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm trying to grow up and read more professional books. Marzano is a name that gets thrown around quite a bit at my school, and I saw this book at Borders, so I thought, why not? What else am I doing? It was a good read--a reminder of a lot of the basic tenants we are taught in undergrad. There were a few gems that I pulled out and hope to be cognizant of when the students come back!
Marissa
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I find the title of this book misleading as the "art" of teaching is not chapters upon chapters of nonsense statistical data. You can have all of the data in the world about your students and still not be an effective teacher. I guess I am "old school" in a way of thinking do what's right for kids. I don't need a book to tell me that.
Tracey
Well, this book is definitely for a new teacher or a teacher who has not read any research in the last 20 years and needs to recharge and get into the 21st century mode of teaching. The book is good, it is not for experienced teachers who read current educational books and journals. I see this as a college text, possibly.
Candace Wegner
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in chunks as needed and view it more as a resource tool. I strongly recommend, too, taking the class with Robert Marzano. He really helped clarify everything and gave suggestions on how one might adapt it to a specific school. I walked away feeling empowered to design an instructional model for our school. Highly recommend this resource.
Brien
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching
We are currently reading this book as a teaching team at work. So far, the strategies are solid, but bring a big glass of water or iced tea, because this book is very DRY. Bone dry. Lost in the Gobi desert dry.
I like the data that was compiled to prove that the strategies work in the classrooms, but holy cow...dry.
Ross
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought Marzano had a lot of practical ideas for both classroom management and instruction. Sometimes this book was dry and heavily statistic driven but supported the information they were presenting. This book is great for educators.
S
Aug 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This book covered a little bit of everything. As someone who isn't familiar with being an educator, I found it useful as an overview. It doesn't go super-in-depth with anything, but it does cover a little bit of everything. 3.3*
Mrs. Rosenberg
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked the emphasis on what research tells us about what works and the practical suggestions for structuring lessons and engaging students. I thought the author had realistic ideas for planning instruction that works for all students.
Spacek Kim
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book explains the Marzano Instructional Framework. Research is boiled down to an easy to read format that can help anyone understand how to apply it to practice. The book would be a good book study to start discussion on what good teaching may look like.
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Never Work Harder Than Your Students & Other Principles of Great Teaching
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Total Participation Techniques: Making Every Student an Active Learner
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing  Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • Craft Lessons
  • The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction
“No amount of further research will provide an airtight model of instruction. There are simply too many variations in the situations, types of content, and types of students encountered across the K–12 continuum.” 1 likes
“Educational research is not a blunt instrument that shatters all doubt about best practice. Rather it provides general direction that must be interpreted by individual districts, schools, and teachers in terms of their unique circumstances. In short, research will never be able to identify instructional strategies that work with every student in every class. The best research can do is tell us which strategies have a good chance (i.e., high probability) of working well with students. Individual classroom teachers must determine which strategies to employ with the right students at the right time. In effect, a good part of effective teaching is an art—hence the title, The Art and Science of Teaching.” 1 likes