Start by marking “V-Virus (Peeps, #1)” as Want to Read:
V-Virus (Peeps, #1)

V-Virus

(Peeps #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  23,303 ratings  ·  1,975 reviews
Avant de rencontrer Morgane, Cal était un étudiant new-yorkais tout à fait ordinaire. Il aimait la fête et les bars, la vie insouciante du campus. Il aura suffi d'une seule nuit d'amour, la première, pour que sa vie bascule. Désormais, Cal est porteur sain d'une étrange maladie. Ceux qui en sont atteints ne supportent plus la lumière du jour, fuient ceux qu'ils ont aimés e ...more
Published February 22nd 2007 by Milan (first published 2005)

★ Jess
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 'Uglies' fans, those looking for a fresh vampire story
Dont have sex, because you will turn into a vampire, and die.
Thats the message I picked up on in 'Peeps'. Funny, because Westerfelds other book, Uglies, the message was dont pollute the environment. A bit of a difference in moral there...

Anyway, I really enjoyed this book. It wins the 'Weirdest Book I Have Ever Read In My Life' award. Scott Westerfeld has created a fantastic urban-fantasy, set in modern day New York. It is weird and strange, but utterly creative and highly unique.
Basically, v
Denise
This is a young adult book? It might be marketed for the teenage crowd, but I'd say it's more adult, less young.

Things that should not be in YA fiction: four-letter words (including the worst one), a casual attitude toward promiscuity and uncommitted sex, visits to a gay bar, and a not-very-subtle contempt for religious beliefs, expressed with a condescending and scornful voice.

Things in this book: all of the above.

If you can get past that, it's actually a pretty good book. It's easy to read, w
Emma (Miss Print)
Aug 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of vampire novels/sf/urban fantasy type novels
I was going to say this is one of Scott Westerfeld's earlier novels, but they all seem to have come onto the scene around 2005. Instead I'll say this, it's one that's set in New York City.

So, here's a reason to advocate abstinence only sex education: You can turn into a vampire if you exchange saliva with the wrong person. Cal, unfortunately, misses out on this lesson--so after a drunken one night stand he ends up as a vampire. As you might have guessed, these are not your grandmother's vampires
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of FEED
I loved this tight, scientific vampire book. It's a sparsely written, fast-paced novel about a disease that mimics vampirism and the end of the world.

Kim
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science geeks, those looking for innovative vampire tales
Shelves: ya
This review will include two sentences I never expected to write in a review, namely:
1. "This book does not contain any sickly sweet marshmallow candy"* and
2. "Ew, ew, ew!"
Does that make you want to keep reading? I hope so, because Scott Westerfeld, who for my money is among the best YA authors writing these days, has created a believable and realistic take on the vampire legend which I don't recommend for the squeamish, and probably not for the romantic, either. There are no spooky castles here
Julie
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
"I lost my virginity to the apocalypse!"

Scott Westerfeld's Peeps is another great off the wall vampire novel. A far cry from Anne Rice's sultry, albeit long, stories about vampires, Westerfeld takes the classic vampire and pretty much rips it apart. In Peeps vampires are more like people with a nasty case of syphilis than sexy indestructible gods. Being a vampire means being infected with a parasite that craves circulation above all else. Drinking blood is kind of a... side effect of the paras
Jim
The basis of the horror in this novel isn't occult, but scientific. Parasites make their hosts do things. True horror & there are a lot of examples. I asked some friends who knew more & garnered a few interesting links on it. When I finished the book, I found that the author said they were all real parasites & even has a bibliography. I recognized at least one of the books he lists as being in the more reading section of one of the articles below.

Parasite "Brainwashes" Rats Into Crav
Kevin Fanning
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interest premise, fun ride. Loved that the female protagonist wasn't all helpless and actually was smarter/funnier/more interesting than the lead male. HOWEVER I could not wrap my head around the rhythm of her voice. The author had her doing weird things like saying "Dude" at the end of EVERY sentence, which made no sense and got irritating very quickly. But that's the only complaint, awesome book.
Trin
Jun 04, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, american-lit
Faith (BookSelf ~ You Are What You Read)
This is sort of hard to review.

On one hand, I read it in basically one sitting, but it is fairly short so that doesn't mean much. I liked the mystery element, but found the actual ending to be... stupid? Like, Extras ending level of stupid ~it was all just a misunderstanding!~ kind of stupid that frankly pisses me off.

The world was pretty cool (until the literal big reveal) and idk something about Cal just screamed "I'M A SELF INSERT CHARACTER FOR SCOTT WESTERFELD" I mean, they're both Texans in
Colleen Houck
This is perhaps the weirdest, most unique take on vampires ever. I will be thinking about that twisting on a stick worm in the leg thing for a long time. I've got the creepy crawlies right now.
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is entirely appropriate for teens. It does have a little swearing in the novel, but what teen has not heard swear words by the age of 10? The novel does not condone casual sex---in fact casual sexual encounters have horrible consequences in this novel. The main character goes into a gay bar once, with no sexual activity whatsoever.
Coddling teens is something I abhor and being ignorant of the world is not to be aspired to. This book is far more appropriate than the popular Twilight ser
Wealhtheow
Jun 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, sci-fi, ya
Woah. This book is creepy. Giant rats, vampires, and lots and lots of SCIENCE (very readable—no bio background required). Oh tales of epidemics, I love you so. Check this one out for sure!
Greta is Erikasbuddy
WOW!! This was definately a different take on our sexy blood suckers. Really neat!! I loved how they linked everything up with parasites and even the side chapters that gave us a brief edumacation about the little ankle biters. Tre' cool!!

The author warned us about the GRAPHIC GRODY Detail in the book but not once did it turn my stomach. I guess the girlies who don't like icky things might not dig the chapters about hookworms and meatworms and stuff like that. It was all very interesting, though
AH
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peeps is the story of Cal, a young man who is a carrier of a parasite that causes vampirism. This parasite is spread through sexual contact and saliva. Cal works for the Night Watch, a centuries-old institute that hunts down out of control peeps.

Peeps stands for parasite-positive, people who have been infected with the parasite that causes vampirism. Scott Westerfeld creates a vampire lore that is based on parasitic infection. Every even numbered chapter has a description of a parasite, it's lif
Rachel Neumeier
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this YA vampire novel quite a bit, even though I ordinarily prefer supernatural monsters and vampires to pseudoscientific ones. In this case, vampirism is definitely pseudoscientific. It’s caused by a type of parasite, and the chapters focusing on the main story are interspersed with chapters about different real-world parasites, such as snail flukes and Toxoplasma and so on.

After a year of hunting, I finally caught up with Sarah. It turned out she’d been hiding in New Jersey, which br
travelmel
DURING READING: So far it's not holding me in. It's been a fairly uninteresting biology lesson.

AFTER READING: OH MY that was horrible. Just horrible. I hate myself for having finished it.

It's about a boring parasite living under the streets of NY who finally makes his appearance and is slightly defeated. OH MY GOD It's lame.

The entire book is spent discussing PARASITES... not just like.. hey they are what they are.. no, a long, detailed DISTURBING look at specific, real-life parasites (like a
Kate
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
A great vampire story. But, the best part of this book is the chapters that detail the disgusting lives of parasites. Want to gross someone out, just read one of those chapters. Truly, they make this book.
Jami
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This Westerfeld book was a pleasant surprise after my disappointment in the Uglies series. The plot is an interesting and entertaining premise of a fictional parasite spread in humans that basically turns them into cannibals (don't worry, there are no details or scenes of the actual cannabalism). Humans who have the parasite, but not the symptoms, are carriers who track down the "Parasite-positives," or "peeps" and get them contained and medical help.

What was particularly fascinating, though, wa
ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱
This is the tenth book by Scott Westerefeld that I've read. He is one of my favorite authors, and this book was not a disappointment. It's funny, intriguing, gross, original and fun.
Here's why.
Cal, who is an awesome narrator talks to the reader in a personable way, even mentioning pages and reading, etc. He is often funny and endearing and quite likable. (A little too much, perhaps?)
All other Scott Westerfeld books I've read are in third person, but this is in first (which made it better)
It's i
Kaethe
January 19, 2009

Parasitology, vampires, cats, this book couldn't be any more appealing to me if it had zombie penguins. Kat Warren, this book is calling you.

January 12, 2015

As with so many other of my recent rereads, I liked this even better this time around. I wonder if that should be credited to nostalgia, or more to this time I picked it up knowing exactly what sort of reading experience it would be, and that's why I chose it now? Another thing that fascinates me is that I so often decide to
Brigid ✩ Cool Ninja Sharpshooter ✩
This is probably one of Scott Westerfeld's weirdest and creepiest books, which takes place in a futuristic world where everyone is turning into vampire/zombie creatures. Although a little gross and bizarre at some points, it is overall a good story. If you like Scott Westerfeld, this book will not be a disappointment.
Rebecca McNutt
Peeps wasn't bad but I really didn't care much for the main characters or the unoriginality of the plot. It's all been done before in similar ways, so this book was nothing new or special.
Seth
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
I enjoyed this book very much, and didn't get why everyone said it was so creepy
Tabea Vanessa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This too was surprisingly good. I‘m in good graces with the 1€ store gods!
Was debating between 3,5 and 4 stars but I‘m in a good mood so I‘m rounding up. ;)
Cassy
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Tiffany
Amelie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stand: 2010

Worum geht es also? Na, habt ihrs erraten? Richtig: Vampire. Allerdings kann man das Buch trotzdem nicht wirklich als Fantasybuch bezeichnen, da ausnahmsweise mal alles komplett logisch ist. Auch wenn ich immer dachte Vampire und logische Erklärungen passen nicht zusammen, so ist es aber! Der Vampirismus ist in diesem Buch keine mystische Verwandlung, sondern ganz einfach: Ein Parasit. Eine Krankheit sozusagen.
Zum Glück gibt es aber Menschen, die gegen diese Krankheit immun sind. Spri
Rick Sanchez
Peeps is AWESOME with a capital A. Having it set in NY was good enough, but teen vampires? My first time reading a vampire book and I want to sink my teeth into another!
Tessa Gratton
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In PEEPS, Scott Westerfeld takes the vampirism-as-disease trope to a whole new level.

Cal came to New York for college and adventure. What he got was a parasite that slowly took over his body. Fortunately, Cal's just a carrier: he gets night-vision, strength, speed, and a taste for red meat (or maybe that's just the Texan in him). His job is to track down the girlfriends he passed the parasite on to before realizing he was infected. They aren't so lucky - they've got the full-blown disease and ha
Would you want to be a carrier peep like Cal? 2 25 Apr 29, 2015 03:54PM
Peeps 1 8 Sep 24, 2013 03:23PM
What's the Name o...: YA fiction novel about a mysterious disease [s] 9 112 Mar 09, 2013 06:12AM
moral/important idea 1 20 Mar 31, 2010 04:59PM
is this or so yesterday the first in the series??? 4 104 Sep 14, 2008 10:16AM
  • Night Road
  • Devilish
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • Prom Dates from Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #1)
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Double Helix
  • Zombies Vs. Unicorns
  • Companions of the Night
  • Demon in My View (Den of Shadows, #2)
  • The Road of the Dead
  • Sweetblood
  • The Tear Collector
  • Soul Enchilada
  • The Good Ghouls' Guide to Getting Even (Beth Frasier #1)
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • Blood and Chocolate
  • Life Sucks
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best known for the Uglies and Leviathan series. His next book, IMPOSTORS, returns to the world of Uglies. It comes out September 11, 2018.

Peeps (2 books)
  • The Last Days (Peeps, #2)
“Haven't you ever known someone rejected by a lover, who, consumed by rage and jealousy, never lets go? They look on from a distance, unseen but boiling inside. The emotion never seems to tire, this hatred mixed with intense obsession, even with a kind of twisted love.” 239 likes
“It's amazing how quickly nature consumes human places after we turn our backs on them. Life is a hungry thing.” 160 likes