Start by marking “So Yesterday” as Want to Read:
So Yesterday

So Yesterday

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  10,505 Ratings  ·  879 Reviews
"We are all around you.
You don't think about us much, because we are invisible. Well, not exactly invisible. A lot of us have hair dyed in four colors, or wear five-inch platform sneakers, or carry enough metal in our skin that it's a hassle getting on an airplane. Quite visible, actually, come to think of it.
But we don't wear signs saying what we are. After all, if you kn
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published February 14th 2006 by Listening Library (first published January 1st 2004)

Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is my favorite book of all time. Seventeen year old Hunter Braque works for a company in New York that specializes in 'cool tasting'. They watch advertisements for shoe companies and decide if it's cool or not.

He meets a girl named Jen, an Innovator (explained in the book), and she has some pretty cool lace designs on her shoes. He brings her to the tasting, and she speaks up on the commercial.

His boss, Mandy, and everyone else liked what she said. Mandy calls Hunter to schedule a meeting i
I enjoyed Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series so I was curious to see how I'd like one of his books that was set in the real world. I thought he did a great job with the characters of Hunters and Jen. They were unique, likable, and memorable. I also loved the historical facts that Westerfeld put in the story.

And like the Uglies series, So Yesterday makes you think about how things work in our society--specifically, how we decide what is cool and what isn't. It seems like such a silly topic, but as
Dec 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh sweet painful hell! I give up on this book. So Yesterday is my first novel by Scott Westerfeld, and I heard such great things about him. But if the best he can do is slap me in the face with constant simple sentences and a mildly creative concept wrapped around a lackluster plot, no thanks.

It started off somewhat okay, the concept was as I said creative, but that’s where it ends. The main character Hunter Braque, a trendsetter, comes across dumber than dirt and this girl Jen James, an innovat
Michelle. D.
This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This book was OK.This bo ...more
Dec 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite Scott Westerfeld book. I enjoyed Uglies, Pretties, etc. but lost interest in the series about half way through. I really liked Westerfeld's unique take on vampires in Peeps. But this. This is Westerfeld taking on Culture Jammers, Fad, Fashion, Trends, Conformity, and Modern Consumerism. It's an romance/mystery/social commentary/adventure set on the streets of Manhattan, following one weekend in the life of a "cool-hunter" - a teen who earns money spotting new "cool stuff" ...more
This is one of Westerfeld's earlier YA novels. That shows in the writing. So Yesterday lacks the fast pace, engaging characters and tight plot typical of the author's later YA books.

The too aptly named Hunter is a self-professed "cool hunter" - someone who seeks out the latest trends before they're trends. Hunter is employed by large corporations to pass on his finds and take part in focus groups so that those expensive marketing campaigns that keep the mega-corporations afloat don't fizzle. Hu
Jackie "the Librarian"
My first thought on reading this was: this is a novelization of The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell, with cool teen characters, and an over-the-top mystery involving super cool shoes and purple-dye sabotage!
Hunter is on the hunt for coolness and innovations, so when he sees Jen, with her skater style and her shoelaces woven in a way he's never seen before, he knows he's got an Innovator in his sites.
Hunter works for an agency that advises advertisers and companies on trends, recognizing them,
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of years ago, I was in a book club, and we read some of Scott Westerfeld's books such as "Pretties", "Uglies", "Specials" and "Extra's." In looking at some of the books that were out there I came across "So Yesterday. I had no idea what this book was about. I like to take gambles occasionally and be surprised. Seventeen year old Hunter Braque works for a company in New York that specializes in 'cool tasting'. They watch advertisements for shoe companies and decide if it's cool or not.

He me
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-york, ya
Let's talk about the cool pyramid.

At the zenith, we have the Innovators. These are the first ones to do something new - rock a backwards baseball cap, get two piercings in one ear, wear boots on the outside of their pants. "When you meet them, most Innovators don't look that cool, not in the sense of fashionable, anyway. There's always something off about them. Like they're uncomfortable with the world."

At the next level reside the Trendsetters. They are the second in line to follow a new trend.
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, mystery, new-york
Why did it have to be about shoes? Really, the whole shoe thing is just not one I ever understood (not that I understand much about trends and fashion). But this is a great book that creates an interesting (and probably fairly accurate) scenario about how trends get started, how they spread, and why they seem to come and go so quickly.

But what if there's a group that's trying to undo the work of all the marketers and trendsetters (these would clearly be my people)? Are they the anti-cool? What i
★ Jess
This was really, really good. Infact, I was considering this as maybe one of my favorites...maybe this is one of Scott Westerfelds best books?
That was until the last 50 pages or so...then it went downhill. The final twist, the gripping conclusion to the mystery...was dumb. And confusing! It was totally ridiculous, and ruined the book for me.
Also, the characters seemed pretty flat...not greatly developed, at all.
And the writing! You can tell this is Scott Westerfeld just learning his chops in
Amy Bailey
I really don't get what people think is so great about this book. Yes, the plot was unique, but it was also just rather odd. I didn't get what was so important about it and I didn't like the characters all that much. It seemed sort of superficial. I guess I just don't give a crap about shoes.
Dana Schmidt
Not one of his better books. However it does shed a seriously sad light on what the future of our world will most likely look like. Especially if the next generation is in charge.
McNeil Inksmudge
I listened to this on audiobook, and I'll rate that the reader was decent. Nothing bad but nothing truly exciting either. Made me wish books words made into radio serials with multiple actors.
The book itself was decent. It was funny in most places. And had the sarcasm and jeering that a teen would have. I didn't expect it to be a mystery (I admit I chose it without knowing what it was about, but simply because it was an audiobook and was easily available to borrow) so that was interesting. Teen
Julia O'Connell
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this story was a little ridiculous, but with Scott Westerfeld behind it it was well executed.

17-year-old Hunter is a professional "cool-hunter" (only now, am I noticing the humor of his name). Companies pay him and give him free products in return for his participation in focus groups where he gives them feedback on their advertising. He spends his summer days out on the New York City streets searching for the next coolest things and sending pictures of street fashion to his boss,
Amy Holiday
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book that has an escapade is a good book as far as I'm concerned, so of course I liked this one. Hunter the Cool Hunter (yes really, meh) is near the top of the trendy social pyramid. He's paid to find the newest trends, and bring them back to a marketing company who evaluates them, then sends them down to the next level of "cool" (the trendsetters). Hunter spots an innovative way to lace a pair of sneakers, and makes friends with the shoes' owner, Jen. When Hunter brings Jen to a focus grou ...more
Jessica Lewis
Ok so what can I say. This book was a combination of a mystery and a love story with a teenage twist. I enjoyed parts of the book mainly when the chapter was left at a cliffhanger but some of it was vey poorly written or thought through I feel. The fact that the author wrote about certain product without using its name directly although we all knew was he was talking about was very irritating.

The scene at the party where the underage characters got drunk I found a bit hard to read through it's
Update: After a rereading and think of this novel non-stop I've change it from a 4 star to a 5 star. Yep, that happened! ;)

I loved this novel!!! Witty, fast-paced, and unique it had me hooked the whole time, I just couldn't put it down, nor could I figure it out.

Seventeen year old Hunter is a Trendsetter a person who looks for Innovators and their latest new-to-the-world never-been-done-before fashions. He meets Jen (an Innovator & Logo Exile ) and finds himself compelled to invite her to a
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Wickelhaus
Genre: Mystery
So Yesterday follows Hunter Braque, a trendsetter whose job it is to find the newest and coolest things to start a trend in the retail market. But then his boss goes missing and he and his crush Jen are thrown together in a hunt for answers. The premise is an interesting one, Hunter and Jen must find their way alongside a shady group whose aim is to force the downfall of consumerism. However, the conveyance is somewhat lacking. The most annoying and at the same ti
Jun 04, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, american-lit
Huh. This book has almost exactly the same plot as PopCo, which is odd, because I didn’t pick up either book because I was interested in the subject—secret societies banding together to sabotage large corporations and dilute the evil brainwashing of marketing campaigns—I was curious about the authors. Anyway, So Yesterday focuses on teenagers in New York as opposed to twentysomethings in England, and it’s about shoes (specifically Nike, although it’s always referred to as ‘The Client’) rather ...more
Colleen Venable
It's not really about "cool". It's about art and knowing that anyone who says "it's all been done" is just too scared or, more likely, too lazy to try. Found myself crying like a big sap when reading the nonfiction "list of innovators" at the end. Probably the least popular of all of Westerfeld's novels but still has the great nonfiction bits hidden inside like PEEPS and the conspiracy theory mystery elements of the UGLIES trilogy. Devoured it in two sittings. Totally underrated and if you are i ...more
Dec 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ario
This is the YA version of Pattern Recognition, basicly. Where Gibson went a little too esoteric, Westerfeld stays sane and keeps to the action. Some major plot points regarding tech were a little too glaringly wrong for me to take seriously in some points, but overall, I think Westerfeld nails the allure and fun of coolhunting, and offers great use of lingo and philosophy. This book is much more fresh and youthful than PR, yet lacks the depth that made PR so eerie and futuristic.

While this may s
Jun 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Westerfeld's writing here is simply amazing: I couldn't put the book down until I'd read the entire thing in one sitting. Loved the integration of fashion as a means of influencing/categorizing people, and his usual theme of an underground element trying to upset the reigning authority comes to play nicely. I also loved the unexpected splashes of humor: several times his dialogue made me laugh out loud with delight.

Like a good action movie, I found the ending to have some loose ties that didn't
June 30, 2009

Westerfeld is so fun to read.

This is my at-work book for the week.

Well, that didn't take long. It shares elements with a William Gibsonovel I enjoyed. Here's something I love about Westerfeld: even when the story is told by a guy, the chicks are the ones making decisions and taking risks.

January 22, 2015

Two Manhattan teens on the cutting edge of everything turn their clever eyes to solving a mystery that no one else seems concerned by. Complications ensue, as do interesting hair
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, when I first started this book, I thought it was promising. The story seemed a lot like his other ones, but at least socially metaphorical. But then I lost interest... I didn't ever see they point. I didn't understand the big deal. In short, I think it was pretty dumb. Unoriginal compared to all of Scott Westerfeld's other books, and a bit shallow actually.

However, I do really like Westerfeld's writing style... he's a very realistic writer with realistic characters. That was all I really l
Westerfeld uniquely and cleverly explores the superficiality our society promotes in yet another novel but in a realistic light rather than the sci-fi, dystopian fashion of the Uglies series. I loved the techy character's push to at least use proper notation for proper nouns. A very fitting novel for the times. Hopefully readers will reflect and avoid falling victim to pop culture.
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 2004 it really underlines how much technology and the internet has changed since then. The main character calls up the New York public library to find out how to tie a bow tie. Life before YouTube!
Cool-hunting and advertising might not be so very different though ;)
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fiction
So I really liked this concept. There are people out there that create trends, and those that know it when they see it and tip off the big name companies. I liked the writing and the story was easy enough to follow, but it just bugs me to no end that the "antidote" was never really revealed.
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: interpersonal, absurd
Kinda scrambled and the plot kind of fell apart at the end, but lots of fun. Westerfeld's really a lot like Neal Stephenson with the here's-some-random-facts-let-me-digress all over the place.
  • Devilish
  • Magic or Madness (Magic or Madness, #1)
  • Bucking the Sarge
  • The Gospel According to Larry (Gospel According to Larry, #1)
  • Double Helix
  • Acceleration
  • Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls
  • The Night My Sister Went Missing
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Fake ID (Hunted, #1)
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • Angels on Sunset Boulevard (Angels on Sunset Boulevard, #1)
  • Never Mind The Goldbergs
  • Stoner & Spaz (Stoner & Spaz, #1)
  • Blood Brothers
  • Son of the Mob (Son of the Mob, #1)
  • Reality Check
  • Storm Thief
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“Sometimes the facts in my head get bored and decide to take a walk in my mouth. Frequently this is a bad thing.” 475 likes
“Never give us what we really want. Cut the dream into pieces and scatter them like ashes. Dole out the empty promises. Package our aspirations and sell them to us, cheaply made enough to fall apart.” 180 likes