Jump to ratings and reviews

Fairfax #1

Unravel

One month ago, I was admitted into a psych ward.

Yesterday, Lachlan visited me. Kissed me. And told me that I’m starting to lose my mind.

Hours later, Max haunted my thoughts, reminding me I’m not crazy and that he needs my help.

A few minutes ago, I drifted further from reality, trying to unravel the past.

And now...everyone thinks I’m insane. But, I know he's real, and I know he needs me.

324 pages, Paperback

First published February 15, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Calia Read

20 books2,830 followers
Calia Read lives in Texas with her husband and their five kids.

You can find her constantly on Facebook and Instagram:

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ailacread/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
788 (6%)
1 star
302 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,921 reviews
Profile Image for Emily May.
1,921 reviews290k followers
August 27, 2016

Oh, little crazy book, you were one HUGE unexpected surprise. I mean, surely the chances of enjoying two New Adult books in the space of just a couple of days is about 10 million to one? Two New Adult books that are insanely different, themes and worlds apart from one another, and yet both good? Impossible, one might think! But I was utterly mesmerised by this book that was part love story and part - and this is the bit that fascinated me - psychological thriller. Just before I get onto the good stuff, I feel like I should warn everyone straight away that there is a particularly graphic and disturbing rape scene that some of you may want to avoid. But if you can stomach the horrors, read onward.

At the beginning of this book, we immediately meet our protagonist, Naomi Carradine, who is in a mental institution. Naomi is adamant that she knows the truth: she is in love with Max - the man who haunts her every thought and whom she misses dearly. But no one else will believe her story. The doctors seem to think that Max isn't real, that he only exists inside Naomi's mind. Telling a story that alternates between her present life in the mental hospital and the past as she retells it to her psychiatrist, Naomi weaves a picture of her life. Who is Max? Is he real, as Naomi claims him to be? Will the doctors ever believe her story? And, even more importantly, will you?

I won't claim to be the most astute reader, but I don't think I'm bad at working things out, and this book kept me guessing right up until the end. I had several theories as to what was going on and I didn't come near to the truth until the ending was just around the corner. I love psychological stories that explore the dark aspects of the human mind and keep the reader wondering where the line between fiction and reality is drawn.

There's some sexy bits in this novel, as seems to be a requirement in New Adult, which was all well and good. I have to admit that any romancing and sexy times got side-swept for me by the far more interesting psychological side to the story. While the book is quite heavy on the romance/sex, at its heart it's really about something else entirely. Which is perhaps what makes it stand out. But both Max and Lachlan were sexy, sweet and completely free of douchebagitis so I liked the hot lovin' parts of the book well enough.

"I can dream. I can imagine and hope, but it will never change a thing. And the most terrifying thing is that I know, I know there’s more to the story. There’s another train coming straight at me, at full speed. Yet I can’t see it. I can only hear the ground slightly tremble. The tracks rattling beneath my feet. I can hear the sound of a whistle blaring. But I can’t move. All I can do is hope that when it does hit, I die in seconds."

My first feeling as I put this book (well, my kindle) down was that I wanted to start again from the beginning and see how everything looked from the perspective of someone who knows the truth. I love books that can do that. That surprise you. I only hope the rest of you find this as engrossing as I did.

“I’m not crazy,” I repeat. “I’m not crazy. I’m not crazy…” - do you believe her?

Blog | Leafmarks | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr
Profile Image for Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads.
686 reviews13.5k followers
August 14, 2016
Stringing words together to form coherent sentences after reading this is almost impossible. I keep saying this, but I have to say it again. I lost my heart somewhere in this book and it hasn't been returned to me.

It stole it.
It owned it.
It broke it.
It unraveled it.
It moved it.

The last year I've been struggling with reading. Books have been boring me. I've stopped a ridiculous amount of them at 30% and just moved on. I've sucked at reviewing. It's gotten to the point it's pathetic. I've become a blogger that rarely reviews. It's hard to find a book that makes me want to scream it from the rooftops and I refuse to pour my heart into a review that didn't make me want to sing, dance and feel alive. I was becoming despondent, desperate for something to steal the breath from my lungs. To wrap its warm arms around me and bury itself into my deepest recesses. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this one.

I'm a romance reader.

This is not your typical romance. It's a physiological thriller with romance in it.

I didn't think it would be something I would go crazy for. I honest to God didn't.

I was wrong!

WRONG.

I'm trying desperately, searching for words to explain myself. To explain to you why you need to read this book.

God, please, please read this book.

It took me, swept me into its current and kept tossing me around. It burned its way into my brain, scarring it in a way that makes it deliciously unforgettable.

The plot, well I figured it out early. About a quarter way into the book. The clues were there, blazing and bright. I don't know if the author did this on purpose. If she did, I think it was brilliant.

PURE F*CKING BRILLIANCE.

Let me explain why...

You see, knowing what was going on made the pain in this story all the more real. It permeated my heart, surrounded me and choked the feelings from my soul. It shook me, made me bleed.

I couldn't stop reading.

I haven't had that feeling in so long I forgot what it actually felt like. It's euphoric, blissful, a drug which flows so thickly through your system you're in a cloudy haze that is only Lach, Lana, Naomi and Max.

The pain ... jeeeezzzzzzz.

I had to rub my chest, put my head between my legs to gather my breath. I had to read through eyes flowing with tears. Cheeks stained red from rubbing my face.

I felt this book.

I FELT IT, FELT EVERY OUNCE OF MENTAL ANGUISH. Every part of her trauma. The pull and push of her mind.

I saw the unraveling of her secrets. I wanted to reach into the book and hold her to me. Comfort her and love her. I wanted to scream, fight, kick, and bleed with her. I wanted to be the balm to her ache. I wanted to save her, help her.

This is deep.

DEEP.

The characters are brilliantly shown, not told. The story unfolds like a puzzle, pulling you into its grips. It's tantalizing. It's heart wrenching. It's interesting. It's intriguing.

IT'S EVERYTHING.

A perfectly and intricately crafted web of anguish.

Lana, the broken girl, scared, hurt, troubled, wanting to be loved. But not knowing anything, but pain.

Naomi, the strong, confident glue that holds Lana together. The beat of Lana's heart. She keeps her sane in a way. AHHHHHH! My lord.

Max, the sexy, unf*ckingbelievably hot Alpha that sweeps you off your feet, that takes your heart between his palms and SLAYS IT from the first look, to the last.

Lach ... Sweet Jesus, Lach. The strong, confident childhood friend that grows into the love of your life. The backbone, the healer, the man that takes you and saves you! The everything. EVERYTHING. #teamlach

Mother of all that is good and holy...

WHAT CAN I SAY? There's nothing. No words that can do it justice. No words that can describe what it did to my heart, soul and mind.

This author did what the title implies.

SHE UNRAVELED ME.
SHE STOLE MY REALITY.
SHE CLIMBED INTO MY HEART.
SHE EMBEDDED HERSELF IN MY PORES.

I'm blown away.

You don't need to know anything more than this. It'll be a spoiler. Just read it. Feel it. LOOK CLOSELY. See the story behind the story. Feel the anguish. Let it take you. Let the words grip your soul. Find the healing behind the pain.

This is more than a book.

THIS IS WHY WE READ!

Unravel is the best book of 2014 by a mile wide. To be truthful it's one of the best books I've EVER read!

Wow, just WOW! No star rating could EVER be enough.

AMAZON LINK: http://amzn.to/1dzUdcC

PS: Please be advised that this book contains rape. It is for adults only (IMO) and touches on several elements that should not be taken lightly.

♥♥♥ FAVORITE QUOTES ♥♥♥

"F*ck the truth. It was the heart that was my worst enemy. It was the one that was going to cut me. Bleed me. It would be the one that would kill me." <<--- My soul felt this.

"Remember that even the purest of souls have darkness in them. It might be hard to spot. Perhaps they've perfect the art of covering it from the world. Or maybe it's hidden in a dark corner of their mind. But it's there. No one in this world is scar free." <<----WHAT A QUOTE!

"Tell me what you're fighting and I'll fight with you," he whispers into my hair." <<<------- MELT ME, F*CK ME, TAKE ME. I can't even. *lets out a labored breath*

"When I touch you I want you to always remember it comes from me and no one else." His fingers drift over my hips, across my inner thigh. "I want you to never forget me." <<--- OWN ME, IMPRINT YOURSELF INTO ME, LOVE ME! Whewwwwwwww **licks lips*

"I've decided that love is a sickness. But not at first. At first it's delicious. Just like a dessert. Nothing compares to that first bite. And you don't savor, but you become ravenous. You know this could be the best thing you've ever had, so you keep tasting, you keep taking. Your greed clouds reason and by the time you realize you've gone too far, it's too late. The love is gone and you're left with nothing, but pain." <<<----- THIS MADE ME SOB. Truth, truth, truth!

"Sex. Love. Fucking. Call it what you want but they are all the same. Each one requires you to give a piece of yourself that you can never get back. But with the right person, everything will align perfectly. The world stops turning on it's axis, time slows and you realize that while you're losing a piece of yourself, you're also gaining something in return." <<<------ SHIVERS. FULL BODY SHIVERS!
Profile Image for Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog.
1,260 reviews9,900 followers
Read
January 15, 2016
DNF

I'm sorry.
I have been trying for three days to get through this book.
I went into it blind.
There's a lot of love for this book on GR and my interest was piqued.

I can read a dark book from time to time but this is not my preferred genre.
This had something in it that I seriously have an aversion to .
I'm not a fan of that and so I must DNF, which I RARELY do.

But I can't take another night of this!

photo bunny-falls-asleep-at-desk_zpscf459b35.gif

That has been me, every single night.

I wouldn't say this is a bad book, it's just not my cuppa.
Please don't let my thoughts stop you from reading this book because there are plenty out there who really LOVED this one. :)

Profile Image for destini.
239 reviews504 followers
February 21, 2014

“God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose. Take which you please– you can never have both.”

Brilliant. This book... I'm still not sure what it's done to me. I was mesmerized by Unravel. I was consumed by the need to know what was going on and it was unputdownable!

“Most people believe the truth is a delicate little bird. They think it's harmless. But I know something they don't.”

♦︎ The Story ♦︎

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to use the Goodreads blurb. If I made my own recap I probably would have said too much.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was one hell of a ride. From start to finish, I couldn't tear my eyes away. I had to suffer the whole day feeling like sh*t warmed over because I used the 'just one more chapter' line. One chapter was most definitely not enough.

I was constantly thinking up new theories, trying to get a grasp of what was going on... the unpredictability of Unravel kept me on my toes.

I wish I could say that I savored every page, every word and took my absolute time reading but I just couldn't. I'm nosy curious by nature so being emerged in this wtf story... there was no way I could survive long without knowing everything.
“I’ve decided that love is a sickness. But not a first.”

♦︎ Characters ♦︎

____________________________________________
“I think we’re all trying to be a winner in a losing game.”

I'll have to be really vague about the characters, as to not give anything away...
Each character was shrouded in mystery. Especially Naomi. I had so many thoughts running through my head– could I trust her and/or anything she's telling me, is what she's saying even true, is she crazy, or the even bigger question, is she sane ...?

♦︎ Overall ♦︎

____________________________________________

What really solidified the five stars for me was that, while Unravel dealt with some weighty subjects, it didn't suffocate me. I didn't feel like I was drowning in everything. I never felt like it was too much.
And despite all the uncertainty and pain, this was also a story about love and healing.

If you're looking for a atypical story with mystery and a good dose of some steamy scenes then look no further!
“Tell me what you’re fighting and I’ll fight with you,” he whispers into my hair.

Profile Image for Aestas Book Blog.
1,059 reviews74.8k followers
February 21, 2014

*** SPOILER FREE REVIEW *** 4.5 stars

"…everyone thinks I’m insane. But, I know he’s real, and I know he needs me. Do you believe me?"

Wow -- my mind is spinning!!

Unravel hooked me right from the start, kept me guessing the whole way through, and both shocked and impressed me with the way all the intricately woven layers came together at the end.

I honestly feel like this is one of those books where the less you know about it, the more you'll enjoy it. Also, literally anything I say about the storyline will either give something away or be misleading so I'm actually not going to talk about the plot at all in this review. The only thing I'll share is the book's blurb (which was all I knew going into the story too)....

Do you believe me?

Like I said, I was hooked from the first chapter and was instantly drawn into the story. By the end of the second chapter, I just got these chills and there was just no turning back.

Here we have the story of a girl whose world was collapsing around her -- she'd been involuntarily committed to a mental health institute, the guy she counted on left her, her memories of another guy haunted her, and no one believed her. This was her story. It was told in pieces -- bits in the past, bits in the present.... some parts in her mind, some parts in reality... and it was up to you to try and figure out what was real.

"Each time I see him, I become convinced that it will be different, that he won't disappear on me."

From the beginning, the biggest questions I had were -- Was this girl crazy or sane? How much of what I was reading was real? Were these memories real? Was the present day real? Was it all in her head or was it really happening? I loved that feeling of just not knowing what to think... where literally anything was a possibility.

"Every day is unknown for me. Every day I wake up feeling like I'm surrounded by a heavy fog and I know I'm missing a piece of myself, and I don't know where it is."

I'm getting a lot of readers asking me if there is a romance and the answer is -- yes!! The romance is an integral part of the story. It's not the only part, but it's definitely a strong, central element.

"My heart is stuck in my throat, as I look him over. I love him so much. I love him too much to be considered healthy. I know that."

"Someday, you're gonna get out of here." He utters the last of his words slowly. "And everything's going to be okay."

"Tell me what you're fighting and I'll fight with you."

My head was just spinning for the first half of the book. I didn't know what to think. And, I'll admit though that while I did enjoy the book the whole way through, there was a point where I was just like -- where is this going?? Is there even a way it can come together?? But then it did. It totally did.

I think what makes or breaks this kind of story is whether or not the explanation at the end makes sense and genuinely answers all the questions and fills in all the blanks. And this one did make sense.

The build-up was quiet but powerful. I read this book in one sitting and the closer I got to the end, the faster I flipped the pages. I was desperate for answers. I had chills and was just holding my breath!!

In all honesty, when I finished the book, my first thought was just WOAH. Then my second thought was along the lines of -- "No way. No way that actually worked." But then... I went back over the story scene by scene, moment by moment and if you look at it, it all works. It really all makes sense.

I will say though that even though the ending was fully resolved, I maybe would have wanted more details given to me. In this case, I was basically told the answer but left to go back and figure out how all the pieces fit together for myself. On the flip side, it was kind of fun to go back and look at each scene from a different light after knowing the twist. When I was finished the book, I literally just sat there re-reading scenes as I figured out what was really happening in each one. It was very complex and while a part of me did kind of wish the book had kind of walked me through it a little more, the bottom line is that the book does have a fully resolved ending. It's crazy the way it all works out but it does.

By the way, this is not a 'dark' romance, nor is it disturbing. It's the story of a girl and the mystery of unraveling the layers of her memories. Again, the love story is a strong element in the story and a huge part of her life. The whole plot is just very complex and makes you question everything you read.

I really love it when a book is able to genuinely take me by surprise and keep me guessing like this one did. The more I think about all the layers, the more impressed I am with the way it all came together. I loved that the book leaves you thinking. I'm still running sections of it over and over in my mind processing it from all the different angles. It's really very well done!

If you're looking for a really different read that'll mess with your mind and take you on a crazy ride, try this one out! It was SO good!

"He holds me and I know I'm safe."

Rating: 4.5 stars. This is a standalone.

****************************

For more of my reviews, book news and updates:
Main blog: Aestas Book Blog
Facebook Blog Page
Twitter

Profile Image for Pavlina Read more sleep less blog  .
2,434 reviews4,555 followers
October 13, 2014
5 CRAZY STARS

This book was even better the second time!! I devoured it!!

description

Wow what a crazy ride!!It will blow your mind!From the first chapter, I was hooked!!It had me confused and guessing all the way through the end!There where moments I thought I had figured out what happened and then I was like no it can't be this!This book is really unique!!It will captivate you!!

At the beginning I didn't know exactly what to expect with this one.I had read the synopsis and the only thing I was thinking it was "Wow I need to read this book immediately!!"

The story of Naomi is confusing in the beginning..

Naomi is in a psychiatric hospital and she tells her story with flashback.The story revolved around her best friend Lana and Lachlan and Max the two men who was inportant in Naomi life's.From the first moment until close to the end I couldn't stop wondering
what really happened??

description

Lana and Naomi where opposites but perfect for each other.Lana was shy and Naomi was loud.Naomi was protective and care about Lana.She was a good friend and she was there whenever Lana need her!
I feel awfull for Lana's condition :// poor girl!I was intrigued by both men..While Max was hot and charming,Lachlan with one word he was perfect!!!I fell in love with him from the beginning!!He really cares about Naomi and he was there for her!!

description

This book takes you through so many emotions. ..Slowly the secrets and truths of what really happen..will unravel and the end will leave you speechless!!

It's my first book from Calia and I would like to say she did an amazing job!!!
I can't wait to read more from her!!

If you are looking for a mind trip which will blow your mind this is what you need!!I highly recommend it!!
Profile Image for Christy.
3,714 reviews31.6k followers
October 30, 2017
3.5 stars!

Unravel has one of the most gorgeous covers and an intriguing blurb. I've wanted to read this book for so long, but for some reason or another, I put it off. When I started reading, I was hooked. For some reason though, as the story went on, I got distracted. I'm not sure if it was the narration of the audiobook, or my mind set, but I never got fully invested in it. There were two big twists, and although one I guessed early one, one surprised me- although due to what I may have missed zoning out, I didn't quite understand it. Either way, this is one of those books I wished I would have READ instead of listened to.
Profile Image for ~ Becs ~.
709 reviews2,101 followers
October 29, 2014
 photo Unravelquotey_zps43fe3ecd.jpg

Wow! This was such an incredible read! Never have I been more entranced by a book when I really didn’t have a clear picture of what was actually going on. This is one of those books that’s really hard to review – there’s so much I want to say but, more than anything, I absolutely don’t want to spoil this one for anyone. The mysterious blurb really isn’t giving much away and I went into this blind, not knowing what to expect and I sincerely believe that is how to get the very most out of this book and that’s how I want you all to go in. I want you to all get the WOW factor when you read it. I promise that this is a spoiler-free review.
 photo unravelquote_zps591c9a44.jpg

As the blurb says we know Naomi has been admitted to a pscyh ward and we know there are two important men in her life – Lachlan and Max. Naomi is tortured by visions, memories and the past and her story is slowly revealed throughout the book, mostly as her recollections to her new shrink. It’s all smoke and mirrors and the truth is shrouded in mist that only very slowly clears. I thought I had it figured out a couple of times but I was wrong and even when I did guess the secret at the heart of the story, and that was at about 90%, I still didn’t work out the whole of it.

But I know something they don’t.

If they dare to move their hands away from their body, they’ll discover that the little bird is gone. It’s torn their skin apart, traveled to the core of their souls, right where it hurts the most.

And that’s why I’m here and they aren’t.

This was so beautifully written, such a well-crafted and meticulously thought out plot that I found myself turning the pages long into the wee small hours. I just had to know where it was all leading. Naomi has significant people in her life but you’re never sure as you read the book what is actually real and what is actually a fabrication of Naomi’s disturbed mind. The people that have surrounded Naomi are, for the most part, characters that I really learnt to love and I so wanted them all to be real but their stories just don’t ‘fit’ and I struggled for the longest time to make sense of what was really happening but I was utterly compelled and so incredibly intrigued.

I actually found some scenes really quite frightening. Despite being surrounded by people who want to help her, I got very strongly a deep sense of loneliness and isolation from Naomi. People want to reach out and help her but she’s got to really ‘see’ things first for that mist to clear for her to become well and to accept their help. There is, of course, a villain and when Naomi’s tortured mind conjures him up when she’s alone in her room at the psych hospital, I felt and overwhelming sense of malevolence and keenly felt her terror.

I hear his voice. It’s gritty. It’s harsh. It makes my blood freeze in my veins.

“Are you afraid of me?” he asks

Sweat beads on my upper lip as I stare down at my legs.

Don’t you speak to him. Don’t you dare, I tell myself.

I look up.

He crouches down. I hear his joints pop from the movement. It sounds like thunder. It ricochets in my skull until I grip the sides of my head in pain to make it stop.

He’s the one that speaks to me. He’s the one that terrifies me. He’s the very core of my nightmares.

This was so powerfully delivered that it built up to such an incredible crescendo and I was truly taken aback when, eventually, everything became clear. As a blogger, I read a lot of books and very few have the power to truly surprise me but this one definitely did. It’s a genuinely different read, one that’s very difficult to put down. It’s a very much a romance but I was so conflicted as I read it – both men in her life are just wonderful, the genuine love, affection and chemistry that they share really does leap off the page but you’re never sure what’s real and what isn’t.

When you finish the book, you will realise that all the clues are there and it’s the kind of ending that will make want to turn straight back to page one and read again, with full disclosure, knowing everything and really look at the story one more time.

I think this has just about everything – romance, intrigue, suspense, sex and a fair sized serving of despair. It’s a book that’s going to stay with me for a very long time, it’s really quite unforgettable. It’s at once disturbing and hopeful and I can highly recommend it. There’s very little I can say about the plot without giving too much away and I so don’t want to do that so all I can say is – this isn’t a book that you just read, this is a book that you experience. You just have to go with the confusing flow and let the story slowly unravel in front of you right through to the stunning reveal at the end.

5 stunning stars

5 stars
Profile Image for Jennifer Kyle.
2,341 reviews4,597 followers
August 10, 2016
4.5 Stars

[image error]

This story brings a reader on a journey into Naomi Carradine’s mind. Naomi is a patient at FairFax Mental Institution for the past two months. She starts to open up to her new doctor and so her story begins...

”Listen closely. Hang onto every word. But most of all, please believe me.”

Naomi takes a reader through her past, while her new doctor tries to help her find out the truth without destroying her.

There is a great cast of characters, Lachlan, Max and Lana who all hold a piece to Naomi’s sanity as well as a keys to her freedom.

”Remember me. I’m real.”

”Tell me what your fighting and I’ll fight with you,” he whispered into my hair.”

I loved the writing and although most readers could predict the course of events, (the author was very generous with clues, perhaps too generous) it still was one hell of a journey. I had a lot of fun drawing my conclusions while approaching Naomi’s reality and would definitely recommend this book.

”God offers to every mind it’s choice between truth and repose. Take which you please – you can never have both.”
November 17, 2019

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I was watching a YouTube video recently about a psychiatrist talking about the portrayal of mental illness in films, and while talking about schizophrenia, he went on this side tangent about how he knew a couple patients who suffered from visual hallucinations and part of how they dealt with that was with their pets. If their cat or dog didn't react to the hallucination, then no matter how real it seemed, they knew it wasn't real.

I remembered that video while reading Calia Read's UNRAVEL. I thought to myself, "Oh, man, what Naomi needs is a dog."

UNRAVEL is an interesting new adult book. Read's style, in how she combines mind-fucks and psychology, reminds me a lot of Tarryn Fisher's. Our heroine, Naomi, is in a mental hospital. We don't know why she's there, and neither does she. All she knows is that something horrible must have happened and that she needs to get out to save her two friends, Max and Lana.

This is one of those books where saying too much about it will ruin the entire story, but it has some pretty dark themes - mental illness, obviously; abuse; rape; self-harm; suicide; and so much more. The themes fit the story, though, and don't feel like they're thrown in there for shock value. The reveal, when it comes, is chilling. I saw it coming, but I have a degree in psychology and have read about some cases that were similar to this. That's all I'm going to say.

If you're tired of the typical instalove new adult formula, UNRAVEL is a great way to break the mold. It's dark AF, and a little slow in the beginning, but I feel like it's worth the ride - especially if you enjoy Tarryn Fisher's MUD VEIN.

3 to 3.5 stars
Profile Image for warhawke.
1,273 reviews1,911 followers
February 5, 2016
Genre: Psychological Thriller/Romantic Suspense
Type: Standalone Book 1 of Fairfax series
POV: First Person - Female
Rating:

Naomi Carradine was a college student from a respectable family. While on summer break with her best friend Lana, a life-changing event led to her stay at Fairfax Mental Health Institute. Confused and alone, she was determined to find her way out back into her world with only one person who always had her back.

The human mind is such a fascinating thing and that’s why I’ve always been attracted to stories related to it. I’m happy that this book certainly met my needs.

I can dream. I can imagine and hope, but it will never change a thing.

I love taking the journey with Naomi through her ups and downs, and her confusion and revelation. I also love seeing her interaction with the people around her at the institution.

My opinion matters to him. And even as a kid it had mattered. That’s what makes Lachlan my safety net—I will always matter to him.

Lachlan was a highly likeable character. His unwavering support gave Naomi the strength to move on. I love seeing how their relationship evolved from the first time they met.

Lana and Max were another two closest people in her life. Both of them came into her circle at the right moment in her life. Each of them had individual strengths and weaknesses that helped her navigate through life.

Even though I managed to figure things out before the revelation it didn’t distract me from enjoying the overall story. However, I do wish I could feel more of her distress.

Unravel is a story of a woman’s struggle in unraveling the truth from the depth of her mind. It’s a good choice if you’re looking for something that touches the complexity of human minds.

Note:
The book is not dark but there were scenes that might be disturbing to some.

Books in the series:
Unravel (Fairfax, #1) by Calia Read Unhinge (Fairfax, #2) by Calia Read Untitled (Fairfax, #3) by Calia Read

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:

Profile Image for JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust.
345 reviews576 followers
August 6, 2016
***3 "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED" STARS**

"Well, that's a whole other twist that baffled Dr. Ruthledge and the rest of the doctors."........AND ME!!!!

If your an avid Mindfuck/ Dark reader Unravel will most likely be fairly predictable.. I guessed the majority of the plot twist early on (as did most readers, so don't be too impressed by me). I was wrong about one thing ( Oh' well, I never said I was perfect).

I liked Naomi, Lana, Max and LOVED-LOVED-LOVED Lachlan( he can light my match ANY DAY!). Unfortunately the ending killed the story for me. I was left with too many questions... BUT this book has numerous 5 stars reviews. Maybe I just need further clarification..

Said questions.. DO NOT OPEN UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE BOOK.

....Can someone help me PLEASE??

Please do not let me deter you from reading Unravel...In fact, PLEASE read it and answer my laundry list of questions... MUAH!
For more reviews, Free E-books and Giveaways, please visit..
Profile Image for Nazanin.
1,039 reviews587 followers
March 22, 2017
5 Stars

"F*ck the truth. It was the heart that was my worst enemy. It was the one that was going to cut me. Bleed me. It would be the one to kill me."

I’d like to thank my dear friend Karla to recommend this incredible book to me! So, thank you so much my friend! I really enjoyed it and I loved it. It was fantastic. The story was well-paced; all the characters were perfect. The story was so exciting. I suggest if you want to read this book, go through it blind and don’t read any reviews!

Naomi had been involuntarily admitted to Fairfax mental health institution for thirty days. She is there because she fell apart.

"Every day is an unknown for me. Every day I wake up feeling like I’m surrounded by a heavy fog and I know I’m missing a piece of myself, and I don’t know where it is."

Naomi thinks she knows the truth but doctors have another idea. The story alternates between her past and her present life at institute. She speaks about her life in the past with a psychiatrist about Max who she is in love with him. Other than Max there is another guy, Lachlan, who was in her childhood and is in her present. He is the only source of her support.

"Even when you’re angry, love tugs at your soul in the most beautiful way. It makes you care-makes you feel-when that’s the last thing you want."

Other than Max and Lachlan, there is Lana. She is her best friend. They have grown up with each other. life for Lana is like torture. And Naomi will do every thing to help her.

Okay, I read these books and I always had guesses that were right or wrong. But in this case I couldn’t even guess because everything was so real and actually I didn’t feel some thing is wrong. I constantly questioned myself about all the characters!

"Am I really here? Sure, in the physical sense I am, but that means nothing. It’s my soul, the very core of me that feels split up. And Max, Lachlan, and Lana hold those pieces."

Well, when I finished nearly half of the book I took my chance and stuck to a possibility and guess what? I was 50% right! And I am proud of myself! I said all of these to say Ms. Read’s writing is so perfect, so interesting, so mysterious, so… .
Profile Image for Debra.
474 reviews2,409 followers
March 28, 2014

★★★★ 4 stars!

"Just remember that even the purest of souls have darkness in them."

Okay, I'm not going to say much about the synopsis of the book. I think the blurb says it all and saying much more might spoil the story for those who haven't read this book yet. So, here it goes:

Do you believe me?

The blurb immediately caught my attention and made me very curious to find out what the story was all about. Unravel was an intense, emotional, passionate, heartbreaking, powerful journey told from the point of view of a girl who's desperate to tell her story and find out what really happened to her. It took me a long time to figure out what was real and what wasn't but in the end everything came together and it all made perfect sense.

The writing style was very fluent and easy to read and it kept me hooked from the very first page until the very last one. The setting of this story, being that a lot of the scenes took place in a mental hospital, reminded me a bit of the one in Insanity by Lauren Hammond but I thought that Unravel was less dark, less confusing and with a much clearer ending. Not only is this a story about self-discovery and about a girl haunted by her past, but it is also a love story and the combination of both turned out to be a perfect, thrilling mix that made me desperate to find out the truth and hope for a happy ending for Naomi Carradine, this tortured girl whose only wish is for someone to believe her...

Highly recommend read!

"I'm not crazy," I repeat. "I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy..."

"Tell me what you're fighting and I'll fight it with you."

Profile Image for Brandi.
633 reviews1,276 followers
August 27, 2014
4.5 Stars

"Tomorrow, I'll accept that in order to unravel my story, I'll be destroyed first."

Unravel was one of my most highly anticipated reads of 2014. Gorgeous cover, intriguing blub - I could not wait to get my hands on this book, and I wasn't disappointed. I did enjoy it.

description

I was riveted - Heart pounding, mind racing, stomach in knots - completely captivated by Naomi's story. This is a beautifully complex story, and for this reason, I can't/won't dive into the details - I don't want to be responsible for spoiling the experience. There is romance and steam, but this story is so much more. It is amazing, and although Naomi's story is unraveling, in the end it all comes together perfectly. So, just dive in :)

description
Profile Image for Chelsea (chelseadolling reads).
1,472 reviews19.1k followers
February 15, 2018
Contemporary-A-Thon challenge #3: read a dark contemporary - COMPLETE!

This just was NOT my taste. I predicted the ending pretty much immediately and I couldn’t connect to the story after that.
Profile Image for Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~.
797 reviews745 followers
August 11, 2016
2.5 Disappointing Stars

I kinda felt this book was
 photo tumblr_lv88crPmYc1qdm61io1_500_zps3a941e3c.gif

Everyone else seems to love this and says it’s a mindfuck but I’m sorry I’m just not seeing it. It didn’t feel dark; it didn’t feel disturbing as compared to some other books I have read. I do understand that you were to be given only certain pieces of the story and everything started coming together in the end but it still could have been done in an easier or better way, in my opinion, but you know I’m not an author, I just get to bitch and complain about books, and of course this isn’t my book. Let me precede this with I am also in no way making fun or complaining about the situation that occurred in the book.

it is what it is photo tumblr_mmke3yeWZh1s28sxlo1_500_zpsfbef683d.gif

This is a book about Naomi….(sorry I knew I had this gif and it’s the only thing I could think about when I saw what the character’s name was)

photo i-moan-moan-naomi-text-Favimcom-232091_zpsc56d8da8.gif

Naomi is hanging out at the crazy house for a little bit.

photo tumblr_n13vsaaDA11trh6n1o1_500_zps584dfc93.gif

She is seeing people and hearing things and they are trying to understand what is wrong with her and what happened to put her in the looney bin.

photo tumblr_n0vf50mWId1qan0hfo1_250_zps1568fc9b.gif

The book goes through her relationship with childhood friend/love, Lachlan, her best friend Lana, and her current love interest, Max. Some bad things happen and she tries to help. It has a cause and effect of setting other things into motion which leads her to eventually wind up in the psychiatric ward.

Lachlan wants her better, Lana hasn’t talked to her, and Max needs her help. But she has to get un-crazy to get out and help save Max. And the only way she can do this is by figuring out the truth behind what happened. She tries to go over her story with her new doctor, Dr. Rutledge.

”Fuck the truth. It was the heart that was my worst enemy. It was the one that was going to cut me. Bleed me. It would be the one to kill me.”

photo tumblr_m46txvBPkn1rpibtso1_500_zps910ba5a2.gif

OK SPOILER TIME! Do not click on link unless you want to know what happens in this book! I REPEAT! DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW! IF YOU CLICK AND GET MAD WELL IT’S YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT! K. Thanks

what photo tumblr_mcxyb2tISz1qebseoo2_250_zps076c7d10.gif

I don’t want to totally spoil this for those who still plan on reading it but some of my gripes were:

-How many twenty year olds actually read a physical newspaper nowadays? ANYONE? ANYONE? That��s how she found out that??? Put that shit in the online newspaper…

-Really what purpose did Dr. Rutledge play, I mean even at the end? I feel since Dr. Woods was involved how Dr. Rutledge was even assigned to care for Naomi.

- The weekend pass. What was the point…..I just don’t get it….

-Why was she put there

-Also

done photo tumblr_lm7dl3ZRzK1qii6tmo1_400_zps75c8adc9.gif
Profile Image for Bilhan.
115 reviews
June 30, 2016
''İyi dinle. Her kelimesine dikkat et. Ama en önemlisi, lütfen bana inan.''

*Ön Söz*

Normalde bu tür kitapların, neler olduğunu ve neyin içinde olduğumuzu bilmediğimiz için şaşkınlığımızı kullanarak düşüncelerimize virüs gibi yayılan kitapların, yorumunu yaparken bir doz daha fazla tedbir ile seçerim kelimelerimi. Çünkü bir gizem mevcuttur bunlarda ve onun çözülmesini sağlayacak en önemli, aynı zamanda da eksik parçası kimi zaman tahmin ettiğiniz kimi zaman da sizi tamamıyla hazırlıksız yakalayan bir durum olur. Sırf büyünün gerçekleşmesini görmek için o eksik parçayı yakalayıp, resmin eksik olduğu yere koymak istediğiniz için de soluksuz okursunuz.

Bu yüzden bir şey ele verilir de okuma hevesim söner diye o tarzda olduğunu bildiğim kitapları okumadan önce, hiçbirinin yorumuna bakmam. Soracak olursanız niye sende yorumunu yapıyorsun o zaman diye; borçlu hissettim bunu kitaba. Beni hazırlıksız yakalayan kitaplar nadir olur; bu yüzden denk geldiğimde iki hafta aralıksız konuşurum, gündelik hayatımdaki spot ışığının ufak zamanlı kullanıcısı olur. Hiçbir spoiler vermeden yazılacak bu yorum, temenni ediyorum bunu sizlere. Zaten bunu yaparken de konuşabileceğim alanlar kısıtlı, bu yüzden fazla uzun sürecek bir yorum olmayacak.

[Karakter analizi, ayrıntılı kitap yorumu ve alıntılar; kısaca daha fazlası için blog'uma göz atabilirsiniz. ----> *tık tık*]

*Yorum*

Kitaba okuyacak olanlara bir tavsiyem var, kitabın başlarını biraz durağan bulup da, hiç ilerlemeyecek kadar yerinde sayan bir kitap olduğuna dair herhangi bir fikre kapılırsanız; kitabı okumayı bırakmayın. Normalde bu düşünceye aldanıp kitabı bırakmasaydım bir sene önce okumuş olacaktım bu kitabı; gerçi o zaman okusam da pek fazla bir şey değişmezdi belki, ama yinede bırakmayın derim. Kimi zaman bu akışın yavaşlayacağı olaylar okuyacaksınız, kimi zaman neler olduğunu anlamayacaksınız ve aklınız karışacak bu yüzden. Bundan çok uzun olmayan bir süre önce bir kitap okumuştum; kitapta bir adam, karmaşık gözüken ve onun için hiçbir anlam yaratmayan bir resme bakıyor; bu yüzden etrafındaki insanların, bu tabloya, hayatı boyunca gördükleri en anlamlı tabloymuş gibi bakmalarına anlam veremiyor bir türlü ve kafası karışıyor. Ancak garip bir şekilde, insanlar bu tabloya kafalarını eğerek aşağıdan yukarıya bakıyorlar. Yanında bulunan ve tablodan etkilenmiş gibi gözüken bir kadına bütün bunların nedenini soruyor, kadın da tabloyu tersten çevirip, adamın beyninde karmaşık olarak paketlenen tüm resmin çözülmesini sağlıyor ve karmaşık olarak gördüğü resim bir anlam kazanıyor. Kitap genel olarak bu tabloydu arkadaşlar; sonu da, bu tabloyu çevirip bir anlam yaratmasını sağlayan dokunuş. Bu yüzden sabredin diyorum ben.

Kurguyu eline yüzüne bulaştırmaya en büyük aday olan kitaplardan biriydi; çünkü insan psikolojisini, insandan daha ayrı bir şey olarak kabul edip bu yargıya göre inceleyen türden bir kitaptı ve bunlar da farklı düşüncelerle eleştirilmeye çok yatkın. Hataları yok değildi; ama korktuğum gibi bir durum yaşatmadı bana, öneriyorum bu kitabı okumanızı bu yüzden. İyi okumalar şimdiden! :)

Profile Image for Penny.
717 reviews207 followers
May 14, 2018
It's ok, but predictable.

After reading so many fantastic reviews about Unravel, I was expecting something great, yet, I found the book quite disappointing.

I do see what the book wants to accomplish, but it it didn’t do it for me.
I realized what was going on pretty much since right after the beginning. It was way too obvious, so the story turned out to be a bit long and tedios for me, there was nothing surprising or unexpected.

However, if you don’t figure out what is actually going on, I can see that the resolution of the story could have some impact, and the story along the way could be more interesting. This way is the only real option I see for the book achieving so many stars. Nevertheless, there were too many things that made me see it early on, so the plot lost all its appeal for me, and I lost interest in the story. There are clues nonstop along the story, so it is hard to be blind to what is the deal. Too many hints.

I will not continue reading this series.

P.S.: Nice cover.
Profile Image for ❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books.
2,114 reviews7,136 followers
September 15, 2021
This pulled me in straight away but somewhere along the way I found my mind wandering, but keep in mind we're in a lockdown period so my concentration is shot to shit. I was invested to get it read and I'm glad I pushed through.
Naomi is in a psychiatric hospital, but she'll tell you she's not crazy, she tells her story through flashbacks and it's up to us to put the pieces together as she goes, at one point I thought I'd solved it only to realise I how off course I was with my assumptions.
Profile Image for Glass.
643 reviews4 followers
March 30, 2014
Such a weird book. I have no idea how to write this review and not spoil it for you, that is why this will be a mini review. Unravel is one of those stories that is best to pick up and read. Skip book summary and other people thoughts about it. That was just what I had done.

Actually, you can read a book summary. It won't tell you anything - perfect example how to write synopsis. I did have certain expectations, but this turned out to be so much more. If you want to read just another new adult romance novel, this is not it. But if you are sick of predictable stories with good girls gone bad and alpha bad boys, if you need something that will keep you on the edge until the very end, Unravel by Calia Read is perfect choice for you.

Twisted and dark - you would feel as you're losing your mind along with main character, Naomi. Even when you think that you know what comes next, you would still be unsure of your own judgement. Main focus is not on the love story, but there are two men that will drive you crazy. And than there is that other... person.

I will finish here before I start telling you everything, but please, just read it. I promise you that Unravel is something different.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti?
Profile Image for Denisse.
489 reviews290 followers
June 2, 2015
Buddy-Read at the Emma's Tea Party. Crazy group, full of BR, we can't deal with all of them. But we kick ass too ;)

Read for the 2015 Reading Challenge: #34 A book with a love triangle. And for my 2015 Reading Resolutions: 3 New Adult (3/3) completed!

4.5 Color me surprised. I really liked Unravel. I was this close to accept that I was never going to like the NA genre, and it might be true, but, this book made me realize there are some pearls out there worth reading. Interesting, emotional and sexy with some brushstrokes of basic dark novel/psycho thriller now and then, while remaining NA and Contemporary in essence. So, if you’re in search of something good in that genre. This is the book.

”Pay attention, I say with my eyes. Listen closely. Hang onto every word. But most of all, please believe me.”

Después de Mud Vein y After, dos polos opuestos en el género NA, la verdad, había perdido todas mis esperanzas. Y muy probablemente termino gustándome mucho Unravel gracias a que no solo es NA si no que tiene cierto misterio psicológico bastante agradable e incluso cierto nivel de novela negra, en un formato bastante básico, pero que eleva el libro.

”Wouldn’t it be lovely if everything in our imagination were real?”

Naomi, esta en un hospital mental y quiere salir, y para eso deberá contar la historia completa de lo que paso en su último verano, sacando a la luz la verdad que la encerró ahí en primer lugar.

Ya que este libro se mueve alrededor de un misterio bastante estándar (aunque muy bien manejado), no quiero dar a explicar muchas cosas, ya que podría spoilear algo y creo que el libro se disfruta solo si no sabes lo que va a pasar.

Obviamente Read no es una escritora de misterio así que les recomiendo no darle muchas vueltas al libro mientras lo estén leyendo. No es mal misterio pero tampoco es la excelencia en inteligencia. Lo que si me atrevo a decir, es que es una buena escritora NA, los típicos temas del genero estuvieron bien manejados y la psicología detrás de algunos de ellos (sobretodo del principal con Lana) se desarrollaron muy bien.

Calia Read sabe cambiar de aires muy bien, podría saltar de una escena bastante intima y sexy a algo muy creepy y emocional con una destreza increíble. Y eso ha hecho que el libro se sienta mas fluido.

Hay algo que llamare el “triangulo amoroso perfecto” en primera porque creo que se describe muy bien esos dos tipos de enamoramiento. El típico me enamoro de mi amigo de la infancia y el otro típico puro físico if you know what I mean *alza una ceja*, además que tuvo un final bastante interesante. Así que lo apruebo, aunque disfrute más las escenas con Max que con Lachlan (Dios!, que nombre tan feo).

A mitad del libro la historia se estanca un poquito pero aun así se disfruta. Después toma fuerza con el final que es lo mejor de todo el libro. Recomendado si eres fan del genero pero sobretodo si no lo eres. Una gran historia, ágil, que no pretende sentirse superior y por consiguiente se disfruta mucho, con personajes variados y bien parados, con un tema principal delicado pero bien desarrollado y un final digno aunque algo rosa para mi gusto.

Ciento que la autora quería escribir un NA pero no quería que fuera el típico libro así que le agrego ciertos toques psicológicos y dramáticos que mezclados que sus escenas pasaditas de tono se convierte en una lectura fascinante.

Profile Image for Claire Contreras.
Author 54 books14.8k followers
February 12, 2014
I am more picky with books like this than I am with most subjects that I read. What subject is that, you ask? I cannot say, you'll have to read it and find out. Anyway, I'm picky for a reason, so when I got this one I thought I figured out what was happening pretty early on...and I did (for a reason). Even though I sort of knew what was happening, I loved it. That doesn't happen often. Normally, once I think I know where a story is going, I either get bored, or don't end up "loving it". I haven't read Calia's other books, but I'm going to say it anyway: this is her best work yet. I'm so glad I made her send it to me. I'm so glad I read it and I will definitely be reading it again.

*note: this review is as cryptic as the book itself. Because I'm being mysterious about it, I'll describe it in a few words:

bold
sexy
beautiful
mind fuckery
Profile Image for  Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕.
953 reviews1,050 followers
August 29, 2015
HOLY SH*T!!!

5 Out of this world stars****

There are books,Then there are BOOKS.The first thing that I said to myself while reading this was WHY DIDNT I READ THIS SOONER!!

The story starts off with a young woman name Naomi who is in a mental facility & you wonder why she's there.I have to stop right there because its like a puzzle, I dont want to give out the pieces but just know that you are in for one heck of a journey & you wont be dissapointed.I read this in 6 hours & I loved every second of it.I escaped my reality & I was placed in someonelse's.

I felt EVERY emotion with this book.Pain, loss, joy, love, anger, betrayel You name it was there.I was in that facility with Naomi, I wanted to hold her hand & tell her Do.not.give.up.

At the 80%percent mark I started questioning my own freaking sanity & thinking that I Need to be in a padded cell!! Yes I did & you will understand what I'm talking about once you read it. I guarentee that you will never forget this book.
Profile Image for TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover.
362 reviews862 followers
December 30, 2015
description

Calia Read you evil little genius, you. You've messed with my emotions and I don't know how I feel about this.

I'm lying. I do know how I feel. I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. I am still sitting here thinking about every detail even though I finished this yesterday. Still thinking about Naomi, and Lana, and Lachlan, and Max. And in my world, THAT is how you know you just read a fantastic book. When everything that happened plagues your thoughts and you just can't get it out of your head. When you keep replaying scenes and rethinking all the amazing lines you read.

description

I will not go into any details on the plot because this is something you most definitely need to go in to blind. Just know that nothing is what it seems, and the whole time you will be wondering is Naomi really crazy? Am I crazy?! How is this all going to fit together?!?

description

Was it a tad predictable? To me, yes. But in all fairness I tend to accurately guess what's going to happen in a lot of books. And rest assured, many people I know who have read this didn't see anything coming. I thoroughly enjoyed it regardless and Calia drew me in and kept me there.

description

I still have about 10348 questions, which I assume will be answered in Lachlan's book (for the love of everything holy please tell me that book will be here soon. I NEED IT I NEED I NEED IT.) I love that man with something fierce.

The story was well written, intricate, at times pretty dark, but so so so beautiful. I am looking forward to more from Calia and cannot wait to get my hands on her next books!

more on---> https://thecrazyworldofabooklover.wor...
Profile Image for Savina M..
57 reviews
March 10, 2014
How to write an Unravel: A Recipe

Ingredients:

1. Chapters-long flashbacks
The first thing you'll need to write Unravel Me is not the actual madness of the protagonist. No—you'll need loads of confusing flashbacks that doesn't at all connect with your present protagonist. Therefore, readers won't have a sense of time reading. Make sure it's as confusing as possible!

2. A heroine who's 25, but acts 16
Want your heroine to have loads of hot sex but also want her to connect with younger readers? No worries, just state your heroine's age clearly, but make sure she sounds 16!

3. Weird sex
Everyone knows New Adult has to contain sex. But how do you make yours stand out? Easy! Just change the setting of where your characters make love! Make them do it on the stairs! Against a tree! Of course, you still need the traditional on-the-bed.

4. 17 times of lip sucking/biting/licking
Who doesn't love lip sucking? I don't! Make sure to add in lip sucking/biting/licking every time your characters make out, to totally not gross out your readers!

5. 44 times of heart fluttering/doing flips/dancing/speeding up/thundering/racing/beating/pounding
Of course, your heroine's heart has to beat all the time because of all the hot sex. But you can't use "beat" all the time, because that would be repetitive. No worries, though, there's a perfect solution. Just search for all the synonyms for "beat", and your sentences can sound original as your heroine's heart pounds in her chest.

6. Weird metaphors
It is most important that you paint a good picture for readers to imagine. You must shove in a metaphor every two sentences, even if the metaphor doesn't make sense.
His lips were so close. It was like torture. Like dangling forbidden fruit in front of my face—I just wanted a single bite.

7. Hot guy who only serves as a rich, fuck buddy for the heroine and to make a love triangle
A guy can only provide so much sex for the heroine. Therefore, you must have two heros in your story. Double the love-making!

You've got all your ingredients? Good!

Cooking method

Step 1: Mix all your ingredients together so they're all over the fucking place. Never mind if the readers don't get it. Because who cares about the timeline, right?

Step 2: Add in an ounce of inconsistency of tenses.
I'm not talking about the switch of tenses between flashbacks and reality, I'm talking about the accidental change of tenses in one of the later chapters.

Tears fell from my face and onto the leather of the seat. Lachlan didn't brush them away and I didn't want him to brush them away.
I dry my face with the back of my hand and sniffle. I look over at Fairfax with dread.

Step 3: Add a sudden change of POV
Throughout your entire book, there should only be Naomi (the protagonist)'s point of view, but shove in
another POV at 91%. Why not? Remember, your goal is to confuse the fuck out of readers.

Step 4: Add in one single redeeming line, which is the only reason why the reader doesn't want to give it a one-star!
"I love you too... But love doesn't solve everything."

That folks, is how to fucking write an Unravel.

Maybe I'm too stupid to get it. I don't know. I just wanted the book to end, so I didn't put much effort into reading the second half. Till now, I don't get why Naomi's the one who's crazy. By the end of the book I'm still left with a buttload of questions and that drives me crazy. I have a need for closure.

I don't read a lot of contemporary, and I certainly don't read New Adult, which is probably why I don't like Unravel. Either way, Unravel has made sure I never touch New Adult again. And the sex scenes also made me want to stay a virgin forever.
Profile Image for ❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃.
810 reviews593 followers
December 30, 2015
RE-READ

'I know I’m missing a piece of myself, and I don't know where it is.'

description

First of all, let me just say.... WOAH! I haven't stopped reading this all day and now I'm am totally WOAH-ing.

How much can a say about this one? Well not much at all, the whole book is a Mystery, so I’m keeping this short and not spoiling any of it for you. You need to read 'Unravel'.

'I can dream. I can imagine and hope, but it will never change a thing. And the most terrifying thing is that I know, I know there's more to the story. There's another train coming straight at me, at full speed. Yet I can't see it. I can only hear the ground slightly tremble. The tracks rattling beneath my feet. I can hear the sound of a whistle blaring. But I can't move. All I can do is hope that when it does hit, I die in seconds.'

Naomi is currently being held in a mental institution. Why? She doesn't really know.

'There are so many minds around me that are wasting away. But I have someone that keeps me coasting above insanity.'

When Lachlan kisses her, walks away from her, she turns to her fantasies, her doctor and starts to unravel herself through imaginations, flashbacks and therapy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unravel is quite sexy, very alluring, surprising, amazingly shocking, sometimes disturbing, captivating and incredibly romantic. The writing is superb, written beautifully and very romanticized.

I have to say, this book is pretty amazing. Be prepared for a mind whirling ride inside Naomi's brain where everything leaves you second guessing and you're left hanging for answers until the very end.

Total must read!
INSANELY BEAUTIFUL.

description
Profile Image for Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘.
828 reviews3,680 followers
Read
May 24, 2015
Here's my penance review because I feel bad - everybody seems to love this book, I wanted to join the club! Dammit!

I'm going to be blunt : I loved Lachlan, but although I wanted to learn more about him, I don't have in me to go on today. Sadly, there wasn't enough to hold my interest.

Why, you're asking?

➊ I'm pretty sure I found out some parts of what really happened, and as a result, I'm fucking bored. Please tell me if I'm right :

➋ I am actually happy if I'm right because what-the-hell-of-an-instalove if I'm wrong.

➌ Stop licking and sucking lips. Enough said.

➍ Oh, come on, am I supposed to drool at that?

"So I'm going to fuck you. And I'm going to watch your face as you scream my name."
(...)
He bent closer and said against my lips, "And you're going to scream, love."

Just give me a break.

➎ Maybe the most important of all : I genuinely think that this book isn't for me, and I'm going to end on a rant, and today is the first day of my vacations and you know what? I only want to enjoy what I read and not ranting about a book so many love. Actually, I don't think it's a bad book by any means, especially if I compare to the big fuckery that was Nocte (yes, I know, it has many many many great reviews) - Let's say I don't get it. There. ← Is that nice?

Therefore here I am, bailing. Oh, well. That happens. Onto the next.
Profile Image for Melissa.
647 reviews28.6k followers
January 20, 2016
“Most people believe the truth is a delicate little bird. They think it’s harmless.”

You know you’re reading a great book when you continuously ask yourself - what’s taken me so long to read this?! It’s confusing and frustrating, but the ending is so worth it.

Noami wakes up in a mental hospital and has no idea how she got there. Through a series of flashbacks, memories and even hallucinations, she starts to untangle the mess her life has become. Further confusing things are her feelings for two guys - Max and her childhood love, Lachlan. I'm gonna stop there because the less you know the better.

This book had me questioning every single thing! Naomi’s thoughts were incoherent half of the time, but it added a great element to the storyline. Even when I thought I had it all figured out, there were little things that nagged me and made me want to abandon my theory, but in the end I was partially right. I really, really liked how everything came together in the end.

They only thing I wish was that the author had gone back and sort of fit everything together neatly - showed us how it all made sense. Instead, she left it up to the reader to do so. Overall, I thought this was a clever story.
Profile Image for Didi.
865 reviews289 followers
February 19, 2014
4 STARS OR 8/10

WOW. This was crazy. Seriously crazy.

Unravel is one of those books that will probably haunt me for a long time. It was gutting and raw. It dealt with issues that we don't like hearing about. Because hearing about these things only reflects the basest, most hideous members of society, and knowing its hard to stop this is painful. I sound cryptic don't I?
Saying more would be an injustice to this book and to the content within. It's best to read this with an almost blank slate.

While at first I was confused and conflicted, deciding whether I found Naomi, our heroine, sane or not, it quickly became apparent that this was a very complicated story. There were a few pivotal scenes that helped me figure things out early on, but this did nothing to lessen the shock of the climax. I was still left appalled and shattered. Everything came together beautifully at a point where I felt it couldn't possibly be resolved. But it was and of course everything made sense. The only thing that didn't was leaving a certain plot twist unresolved. It left me wondering about things that were never explained.

Our hero, Lachlan was there for Naomi when everyone else wasn't. He endured the pain right along with her and by the end I couldn't picture a better man. Other characters were incredible, mainly ones dealing with Naomi's care, but to elaborate would spoil everything. This isn't a dark romance or a suspenseful one either. It's a romance that delves into rarely talked about waters. It's a romance where tragedy could have festered, but didn't. Only with hope and the perseverance of 2 special people could Naomi break free.

This isn't a long book but one that packs quite the punch. It left me feeling so many conflicting emotions that I finally breathed when it was all over. And you WILL breathe when it's all over because this will make you smile as much as it makes you shatter. Fantastic.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,921 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.