Start by marking “The Killer Within: In the Company of Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Killer Within: In the Company of Monsters

The Killer Within: In the Company of Monsters

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
He has been able to forge trusting relationships with his subjects, enabling him to extract the facts behind their infamous acts and identify what motivated them to commit their horrific crimes.

Carlo's investigative achievements are remarkable, but what wasn't known to his readers is that, while working on The Ice Man, he learned he had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS),
Published January 6th 2011 by The Overlook Press (first published August 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Killer Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killer Within

Eric Stone
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The Killer Within refers to the author's battle with ALS - Lou Gehrig Disease - as well as his writing of books about serial killers and mafia hitment. It seems quite ambitious to attempt to blend the two subjects - approaching ALS as if it were another serial killer that he was writing about. And I certainly feel for the author, his struggles against the disease and live as full a life as possible in defiance of it are quite remarkable. But it j ...more
Jan
Jul 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the writing a bit narcissitic but it is a biography. A good insight for someone battling ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease.
Xanthi
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a very strange book, in that it is mostly autobiographical and partly about true crime, mixed in with how the author copes with ALS - a degenerative, untreatable, fatal disease involving motor neurons. I didn't quite find the book gelled all that well.
The autobiographical part was interesting, in that the author came from a very rough upbringing in a tough neighbourhood, with some truly awful things happening to him, and some very shady characters surrounding him.

The part about his car
Alyssa
"The Killer Within" is supposed to be about the Carlo's ALS, and at times it is. The best parts of it were things such as when Carlo was talking about how going to the store is a big win for him, or how he has to breathe with a tube, and other people have to feed him. However, this seems like a small fraction of the book. Instead it is really bogged down with a lot of repetitive and pointless information. The author, while somewhat sympathetic as he has had some hard things happen to him in his ...more
Georgiacyn
Overall this was a good book. It was a bit on the busy side because it addresses Philip Carlo's experiences as a person childhood through adulthood, his development and accomplishments as an author, and his struggles with ALS. The chronology is anything but linear; it jumps around quite a bit. Inevitably, this leads to some repetition. Overall, Philip Carlo had a life that is very interesting to read about and this book, the first I've read by him, has inspired me to read some of his other books ...more
SenoraG
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all know that I am a huge true crime fan and Philip Carlo in my opinion is one of the best true crime writers. I am also a big supporter of finding a cure for neuromuscular diseases. Philip Carlo in this book brings us again face to face with some of the worst human killers on this earth but what he also does is takes us into his world, the world of ALS which is the worst neuromuscular disease there is......

Dustin Mullen
I read this out of respect to the author, but it is extremely repetitive. The only information that was worth reading is that, Mickey Rourke is tentatively attached to play Richard Kuklinski in a movie about "The Iceman".
Timothy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read everything Philip Carlo has written and am a huge fan. Knowing of his passing in 2010, from ALS,made it depressing to read about how much pain and moral defeat he suffered at the hands of this awful disease.
Nancy
Dec 24, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just won this book - but I'm not sure who from. It sounds very interesting - nonfiction - so I'm excited to read it.
Michelle Dancer
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. A interesting and heart felt story. I now have to read all of Philip Carlo's books! RIP Dear Sir!
Kim Taras
Philip Carlo was an amazing writer who wrote about a topic I love - serial killers. His book about the Night Stalker was so detailed and well written that I have friends who do not even normally read say how good it was.

This book dragged at times however it also was very insightful to a very serious disease, ALS. I did not know too much about it and I thought it was awfully brave for Philip to put down some embarrassing moments he had just to show how serious a disease it is. Imagine not being
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Carlo's title "The Killer Within", is actually a homonym. Not only has Mr.Carlos spent his life studying and writing about societies monsters, he was suffering from ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease", a cruel and horrific disease.

Mr. Carlos's candid and unguarded way of writing makes this a difficult book to read in many ways. The "Monsters" that he wrights about and their methods of killing is very disturbing. It isn't that I didn't know and realize tha
Jacqueline
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not at all what I thought it was going to be, but nonetheless I love this book for its brutal honesty. RIP Philip Carlo!
Rosie Pudsey
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book.It was interesting hearing about the authors life.Ive read all his books so it was good to hear the story behind the author and what he had to endure during his life.Very well written.
Julianne Angel
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writer but sad inevitable ending. I love the way he lived his life the way he wanted even though he couldn’t do all he wanted physically at least he was able to enjoy what he loved. Writing, the ocean and New York. What an amazing man for the things he wrote about could not have been easy.
Liz
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, crime
3scoremiles10
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Narcissitic, repetative, self indulgent. Carlo namedrops his way through his back copies, big-noting and rapsodising about his "process" as if it were some mystical gift. Not recommended.
Wglidden21yahoo.com
Brutal account of a struggle with ALS interestingly coupled with a life spent studying sadistic serial killers. Simply written heavy read.
CC
  • WikiLeaks: Inside Julian Assange's War on Secrecy
  • The Most Evil Dictators in History
  • Cannibal: The True Story Behind the Maneater of Rotenburg
  • Essential Vonnegut Interviews
  • In the Garden of Sin (Hidden Grotto #4)
  • Verdun: The Lost History of the Most Important Battle of World War I, 1914-1918
  • Extensions