Start by marking “The Devil I Know: My Haunting Journey with Ronnie Defeo and the True Story Ofthe Amityville Murders” as Want to Read:

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In November 1974, 23-year-old Ronnie DeFeo was convicted of murdering his entire family. Decades later, he was haunted by a terrifying demon from his past. But no one wanted to listen.
Except one woman.
For years, as the legend of the Amityville Horror murders were retold in print and film, DeFeo withdrew, growing more bitter as his twisted celebrity status increased.
Then
Published August 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil I Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil I Know

Doris
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sub-heading of this book really sums up what it is all about. But, just to clarify, Ronnie (Butch) DeFeo was accused and convicted of killing his parents and four younger siblings in the early 70's with no explanation given, ever. Until now that is. And the person he told his story to and who wrote the book is a medium and voodoo princess. Hmmm ... interesting, I hear you say. Or are you about to stop reading this review? Please don't! It is actually not as bad as it sounds. Let me explain.
E
Christine
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Devil I May Know is about the infamous home 112 Ocean Avenue and the people who dealt with the evil that was manifested there. Jackie went into this journey to understand what happened there and to help Ronnie DeFeo understand what he was going though. I have heard the stories over the years and I figured some of the events as what Jackie did. This is not only the true story of the events but also the terror that Jackie and her family faced and are still facing as a result of searching for t ...more
Breanne
Nov 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me say that this is one of the worst books I've ever read in my life. And that's saying something because I read A LOT, and I least like most books that I've read.
Most of this book has absolutely nothing to do with Ronnie DeFeo or the Amityville Murders. It is a bizzare and fantastical autobiography of Jackie Barrett. If even half the stuff she describes actually happened to her, I'll sell my firstborn. I'm really confused about why so much of this book is about her considering the subtitle
Regina
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fascinated with Barrett's account of her experience with Ronnie DeFoe of the famed Amityville murders. I've always been intrigued by this story, and for the longest time believed in--and was creeped out by--the now debunked Amityville Horror written by Jay Anson. Not only did she help bring forth DeFoe's story, she helped him conquer the evil presence surrounding him and attain a measure of peace though at a great expense to her and her family. Barnett's detailed descriptions of her occult ...more
Salem
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and aware of every bump in the night!
Kelly Hager
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my rare forays into nonfiction. Jackie Barrett is a psychic medium. (By which I mean that not only does she know things that most people wouldn't be able to know, but she can also communicate with the dead.) In this book, she discusses her relationship with Ronnie DeFeo and reveals what really happened the night his entire family was murdered.

In case you aren't either (a) a horror movie fan or (b) a true crime junkie, Ronnie DeFeo lived in a house on Ocean Avenue in a little town
Keith Chawgo
Although I am open to interpretations when dealing with evil and "Lucifer", this book tends to push the boundaries.

The Ronald DeFeo sections bounce back and forth with Me Barrett's life story which brings a bit of predictability to the proceedings. Jackie Barrett's story within itself is fascinating and sets itself apart from the mess that is the DeFeo sections.

Ronald DeRek's illusions of grandeur seems to feed itself between his flights of fancy and slight moments of reality. It almost feels as
Sae-chan
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I still couldn't believe Ronnie's latest account. I also couldn't make myself buy all Jackie's story. But there were many things I learned from her.

The bible says that the devil is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. But I think Jackie's portrait was even more compelling. The devil is like a flu bug seeking a new host. He crept slowly and caught anyone by surprise. Many didn't even know (or chose to ignore the fact) they had been infected. The most important step was to acknowledge
Hayley
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this book and have been left very disappointed. Although there were really fascinating parts, there were many more parts that were in my opinion, not necessary or even connected to the Ronnie Defeo story. I found it very difficult to believe that a lot of this actually happened as was so far fetched. The author should have put her life story in a completely seperate book.
Wholayo Angel
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I started reading and I could not put down! I would love to see the movie. Jackie Barrett delves deep into the mind's of the criminal insane.
Steve Parcell
Fascinating insight in to the author's psychic gift and the troubled mind of DeFeo. Also looks at the validity of Amityville. If you have read that then this is a must. Good
Lea Schroeder
May 07, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Seems so far really good!! Enjoying it!!
Emily
Mar 14, 2017
Mia Harris
rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2016
  • Missing Mom: A True Crime, True Family Story
  • Drug Lord: The Life and Death of a Mexican Kingpin
  • Standing Strong: An Unlikely Sisterhood and the Court Case That Made History
  • Pain and Gain - The Untold True Story
  • Murder myself, Murder I am.
  • Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice
  • The Chupacabra: A Borderline Crazy Tale of Coyotes, Cash & Cartels
  • A Taste For Murder
  • Body of Proof: Tainted Evidence In The Murder Of Jessica O'Grady?
  • The Trail of Ted Bundy: Digging Up The Untold Stories
  • Almost the Perfect Murder: The Killing of Elaine O'Hara, the Extraordinary Garda Investigation and the Trial That Stunned the Nation: The Only Complete Inside Account
  • The FBI Killer
  • Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee
  • My Husband, My Friend: A Memoir
  • Stepdog
  • Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka: The True Story of the Ken and Barbie Killers (Crimes Canada: True Crimes That Shocked The Nation, # 3)
  • Better Dead Than Divorced: The Trials of Panayota
  • Stolen in the Night: The True Story of a Family's Murder, a Kidnapping and the Child Who Survived
For over Twenty - five years Jackie has been using her unique gift as a psychic medium to help those of all walks of life . Her assistance with NYPD cold case has earned her an honorary badge . Jackie has been featured on tv shows, news papers and radio across the world. June me live every Saturday from 10pm-11pm on my new radio show Beyond The Door .
More about Jackie Barrett...