Start by marking “Too Narrow to Swing a Cat: Going Nowhere in Particular on the English Waterways” as Want to Read:
Too Narrow to Swing a Cat: Going Nowhere in Particular on the English Waterways

Too Narrow to Swing a Cat: Going Nowhere in Particular on the English Waterways

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
One man and his cat travel the canals of England Steve Haywood has a new member of crew aboard his narrowboat, Justice--but maybe not the kind he'd have wanted if he'd known the trouble she'd cause. Kit, an untidy bundle of fur with all the attitude you would expect from a "sarf Lunnun" cat, joins Steve as he cruises the waterways on a mission to discover lost parts of Eng ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Summersdale (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Too Narrow to Swing a Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Narrow to Swing a Cat

Paul
Haywood is a well know character in the narrow boat and canal scene, and i picked this up as I am trying to read the entire Summersdale travel book collection.

This was written over a summer when he decides that he want to spend a summer visiting all the canal and boat festivals going on and catching up with old friends and making new ones. He spends several months on his boat, and this time has company in the form of a black and white cat, as well as regular visits from his long suffering partne
Steven D
An okay travel book. I got the feeling it was a series of articles for a magazine that were turned into a book some how. However it was still an entertaining commuting read.

I did like how he was trying to explain the feeling of narrow boating, only ever tried it once I will say he did that well and made me consider trying it again.
Malachi Jones
Well written but more of a travel book. One mans thoughts and observations as he cruises the UK canals. There is an underlying thread of a cat and a twisted ankle, but nothing much happens and there is no real plot as such.
Danika
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, oxford
Enjoyed this well enough. The book is much like a pottering cruise on the canals, slow and meandering and full of side tracks. I wouldn't race out to pick up another of Haywood's books, but I would read another if I were in the mood for a literary cruise on the canals.
Bec
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bec by: Picked it up in library
I spent a week on narrowboat years ago and this book made me want to get out on one again. The cat is the real star of the show however, and the end was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster.
David Gill
Easy reading. Funny in parts.
Clio
Feb 20, 2015 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Narrow boats and canals- things I know a lot more about now then I did before. Good book if you like or want to like either of those topics.
Pål-otto Mikkelsen
Quite funny and informative about canals and their history.
Robert A Smith
Judith
Mar 16, 2017
Paula
Apr 27, 2016
Steve Haywood is an award-winning TV producer and has worked on programmes such as Newsnight, Panorama and Rough Justice. Based in London, he writes a lively, provocative column for Canal Boat magazine.
More about Steve Haywood...