Start by marking “Biggles Flies North” as Want to Read:
Biggles Flies North

Biggles Flies North

(Biggles #18)

Answering a call for help by letter from an old friend, Biggles, Algy, Ginger and Smyth fly to Fort Beaver in Canada. Here they intend to meet up with Wilks, or Captain Wilkinson of 187 Squadron as he used to be known. Wilks has started a small airline business called 'Arctic Airways' but is now having problems with a man named 'Brindle' Jake McBain and his cronies. On ...more
Published (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles Flies North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles Flies North

Start your review of Biggles Flies North
Katka
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the classic Bs. There's flying, shooting, gold, villains, desperate situations, grave danger, and corned beef. What more could you want? :)
Tommy Verhaegen
David Evans
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: boy-s-adventure
Excellent stuff. Probably not the most politically correct author of all time but if downing your rivals' aeroplane by dropping a crate of tinned food on it and shooting polar bears is your thing then this is a real page turner. One slight irritation that still niggles me after 40 years is whether Ginger would really fail to close the door of his 'plane while he goes for a stroll in the arctic - remarkably prescient considering a pack of wolves takes an unhealthy interest in him. Also, I liked ...more
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

Biggles is effortlessly heroic and cool under pressure (if not always quick on the uptake). His mission of mercy to Canadas Fort Beaver leaves no doubt as to the good and bad guys. Michael Palin captures the Boys Own spirit of adventure.
Matt Kelland
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd forgotten how much fun these were. Simplistic, dated, but great pulpy adventure.
Vass
Aug 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Biggles in a Canadian shack. What more could you want?
Hans
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
It was 24 Years ago, that I read it (currently reread them all in chronological order)
Never before the author managed to irritate me for his attitude towards others.
Indigenous people are either according to "Western civilisation"childish simple, or mean and evil,
like the indian in this book, or in "flies South".
Clearly WEJ was in a rush ending this book; so much missed opportunities.
Olof
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too short. No character building. Very formulaic. But then, I really didn't expect anything different... Would have wanted to experience a lot more of the northern environment described in the book, it felt intriguing and engaging.
David
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I consumed the audio version read by Michael Palin. I think he should record as many as he can. I can't think of a better narrator. The story is over done, and has a lot of needless drama, but that's the whole point isn't it? Smashing good fun!
Tom Caswell
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great story from WE Johns. Couldnt put it down! ...more
Ceejay
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This 1939 British Young Adult novel was a fun read. Acoording to what I found, the Biggles stories were the most popular 20th Century British kids books. I can see why. It seems there were about 150 of them published. They were written by a retired British pilot from WWI. Biggles and his two side kicks take off for Canada in this particular book. They cross the Atlantic on a steamer, and once they hit Canada, all the air adventures begin! It is dated.There's a lot of smoking going on, and there ...more
Daniel Bratell
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Many plot holes, but let us focus on the big question, what is a Bluewing 'Jupiter'? My guess is that Bluewing is "Boeing". They sound kind of similar after all.

Story is that a friend of Biggles' sends a letter telling him about some roughs trying to muscle him out of his business in northern Canada. Biggles to the rescue.
Edwin
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeugd, 2016
Biggles krijgt een brief van zijn vriend Wilkinson. Deze schrijft dat hij in flinke problemen zit. Daarop brallen Biggles, Ginger en Algy te vertrekken naar Canada, waar ze al snel te horen krijgen dat Wilkinson vermist wordt.
Bettie
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC7 listeners
Sem
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ripping-yarns
I'll have to give this 4 stars in spite of - or perhaps because of - the ridiculous plot. Johns' version of Canada between the wars is truly bizarre. Scalping, lynching... I had no idea.
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Answering an old chum's call for help, the hero pilot flies to Fort Beaver. Michael Palin reads Captain WE Johns' adventure.

Salome
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely captivated by this adventure. Prospecters with bags of gold, bad guys manipulating an angry mob and planes, planes, planes and a lot of action!
Medhansu
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Good fun, a blast of nostalgia.
Shujaath
Aug 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Alien III
  • A History of Britain in Thirty-six Postage Stamps
  • Duty and Honor (Jack Ryan Universe, #21)
  • The British Empire: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Second World War
  • Farewell The Trumpets: An Imperial Retreat
  • Heaven's Command: An Imperial Progress (The Pax Britannica Trilogy, #1)
  • Condition Black
  • An Inspector Calls
  • The Minority Report
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
  • The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
  • Scoop
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming