Start by marking “History of Modern Art” as Want to Read:
History of Modern Art

History of Modern Art

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  6,952 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
For undergraduate course in Modern Art, Origins of Modernism, Art Since 1945, Contemporary Art and other course focusing on art in the 20th century.Long considered the survey of modern art, this engrossing and liberally illustrated text traces the development of trends and influences in painting, sculpture, photography and architecture from the mid-nineteenth century to th ...more
Published December 12th 1931 by Prentice Hall

To ask other readers questions about History of Modern Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Modern Art

William
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exceptional book, which I studied at MIT for a course in the Humanities in about 1972-73. Wonderful.
Loliskulls
Read this for my modern art class... for it being so expensive I wouldn't have expected so many black and white photgraphs...The text for this book is mediocre but it covers so much time that I guess its hard to get into any real detail... text mostly focusing loosely on the style of the paintings depicted in the book but gives a small amount of general background info on artists...The book also comes off as pretentious and opinionated in places, which lost it major brownie points with me… so I ...more
Café
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're an art major trying to go through your art history class or just an aficionado, or someone looking for general knowledge, this could be a good starting point.

If you're serious about art criticism and theory you should check "Art since 1900" by Foster et al. That's an excellent starting point.
Christopher
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
After this book sitting around for years, I decided to actually read it from cover to cover. Not much depth... but, what can you expect in a book about THE HISTORY OF MODERN ART. Not much depth is what you can expect.

Perhaps this book is used for classes. Hopefully with supplemental texts.

Hazar Bayindir
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I believe it is kind of impossible to read it all. But I am always reading that book, and I will keep reading for long years.
Maria
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fine-art
Amazing book specially if you want to prepare a unique graduation project.
Gordana
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amir Shadkam
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
پاریسِ دهۀ بیست، شاهد بزرگترین نوآوری های عرصۀ هنر و ادبیات
Erin J. Mullikin
While Arnason's text is informative, this reads more like a piece of survey literature than a detailed account of the history of modern art. I highly suggest a supplemental text, such as _Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings_ (Kristine Stiles and Peter Selz) for a more complete experience.
Kent
Dec 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artfags
Friends, at 832 pages this monumental text is a serious commitment (Okay yes there ARE lots of pictures!). It'll take me a while, but these eyes are on the prize. Next stop: the rise of the Impressionists and the Avante Garde. Gentlemen, and lady, please line up when I call your name: Manet, Monet, Degas, Renoir, Cassat...
Kasper
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, although it could be a bit deeper in some places, although there is a very even distribution of information among the works covered by this book. Useful in classes and it came to a very good use by me.
Rebecca
Copyright 1998. I still don't know enough about contemporary art, and I remember absorbing very little when this was my textbook. Many of the photos are B & W. Something to add to the "subjects to study further" list, with a newer book.
Noelle
I read this for class. The first semester of 20th Century Art History at UW. I've read the first part about twice and am about to do my final for that. In a year i'll take the second half but i'm taking the book off the list for now. I'm though P438 and have learned so much
Lailai
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An expensive textbook for my art history class. To be honest, I don't like the writing style of the author because when you have to memorize something, you'll find you need to rewrite almost everything....

However, if you want to understand thoroughly about modern art, the book is a good choice.
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read!
Zak
this bbok was ok because the paintings were cool but the description was not that great.
Maria
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my art hist text
Andrew Volpe
20th Century Art history course textbook, Westfield State College, 1999/2000.
Reuel
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
As I previously knew very little about art after WWI, I learned a lot from this book. It will help me to appreciate modern art more than I did before.
yao
Mar 06, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: art history buffs
beautiful picture book, heavy enough to break your foot twice
Siri Alemany
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good text book, but a beastly read.
Bethany
ah, art school. i actually read all of my art school text books, still have them, and still use them.
Zahrayado
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اطلاعات دقیق همراه با تفسیر از اثرهای هنری موثر در سبک های هنری در معماری نقاشی و پیکرتراشی
Skye Williams
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book high lighting major point, and keeping away from tedious information. Quality reproductions inside and a good addition to any art historian/artist library.
Han Brmnd
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boothe Family
Profoundly changed my life. ~ Steven
Corrine
I read parts of this book for a class.
Diana
  • 30,000 Years of Art: The Story of Human Creativity across Time and Space
  • Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
  • Art in Renaissance Italy
  • After Modern Art, 1945-2000
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • Greek Art and Archaeology
  • The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History from Prehistoric to Post-Modern
  • The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution
  • Women, Art, and Society (World of Art)
  • Art Fundamentals: Theory and Practice
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • Goya
  • Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
  • Modern Art: painting, sculpture, architecture, photography
American art historian and administrator. He was born in Winnipeg, Canada, and studied there at the University of Manitoba, and subsequently at Northwestern and Princeton Universities. From 1947to1960 he was professor of art history at the University of Minnesota, from 1951 concurrently holding the post of director of the Walker Art Centre, Minneapolis. He is best known by a wider public for his m ...more
More about H. Harvard Arnason

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division