Start by marking “Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)

Forever Odd

(Odd Thomas #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  64,796 ratings  ·  2,607 reviews
I see dead people. But then, by God, I do something about it.

Odd Thomas never asked for his special ability. He's just an ordinary guy trying to live a quiet life in the small desert town of Pico Mundo. Yet he feels an obligation to do right by his otherworldly confidants, and that's why he's won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death. But when a childho
Published October 31st 2006 by Bantam Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Odd, please sign up.

·  64,796 ratings  ·  2,607 reviews

Matthew
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen a lot of negative reviews for this book, and after reading it, I can see where people might feel that way. However, I thought it was very enjoyable. Sure it was weird and outlandish - with bizarre characters and haphazard dialogue, but I found it very entertaining.

The plot is basic good vs evil. The baddies are very spooky and cartoony. The leader is very focused and unreasonable in her goals - a one track mind of questionable motivation that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Odd ma
William Dalphin
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People I want to discourage from ever reading again
Aj the Ravenous Reader
The title kind of suits this book because well, the main character's name is Odd, the story is also odd and even the genre is odd. You couldn't tell if it's horror or comedy. So, in short, Forever Odd is one odd book. Is it odd that I enjoyed reading this? :)
Carolyn
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, paranormal, thriller
As we discovered in Odd Thomas, Odd is able to see and speak to the ghosts of newly dead people and those who don't move on. Although they can't speak back they can guide and show him things. This makes life for Odd very difficult as the dead (including the ghost of Elvis) are all around him and he chooses to live in the small town of Pico Mundo in Southern California where life is quiet and few people know about his unusual gift. Odd recently lost the love of his life Stormy (Bromwen) Llewellyn ...more
Ian
Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Kevin
Shelves: suspense
While this Odd Thomas book was a good and entertaining read, I say so resignedly.

Everything is here to make this as solid a book as the first; interesting plot, great supporting characters, etc. Additionally Odd's wit in Forever Odd seemed a bit more refined than the first book, and I enjoyed it a bit more because of it.

What I found unfortunate was that Forever Odd seemed stitched on to the first book in what I felt was a forced way. I couldn't escape the feeling that Odd Thomas was intended to
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my least favorite of this series and because of that I was remembering this as a much weaker book than it actually is. The way that I remember it the woman serving as the bad guy, the woman a character describes as "crazier than a syphilitic suicide bomber with mad-cow disease," is really too evil to be believable. My memory says that she is the focal point of the whole book. This is why I should never rate by memory. She is indeed the main bad guy but her actual on camera pages are rela ...more
Michael
Odd Thomas has never had things easy. Still reeling from the loss of the love of his life, Stormy, he will soon find himself thrust into something truly sinister. When one of Odd's best friends from his childhood goes missing there is universal concern. Danny suffers from a condition that makes his bones brittle and with the thought that his psychopath biological father has abducted him, it is vital that he is found soon. When Odd, with his unique powers for finding individuals, sets out he will ...more
Amber
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
When Odd Thomas's friend is kidnapped by a crazy psycho woman, Odd must find and rescue him before he is killed. Will he succeed in his mission? Read on and find out for yourself.

This book is pretty good and sets the tone for the rest of this series. Definitely check this book out with the rest of the series at your local library and wherever books are sold.
Kathy Davie
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Second in the Odd Thomas lightweight horror series revolving around a man who sees ghosts. Based in a tiny desert town in California---Pico Mundo.

My Take
I think Koontz uses this series to relax. He uses Odd's character to write the stories in this series and he uses the opportunity to relay his own philosophies about life. It certainly does allow Koontz to wander down some pretty odd paths and relate unrelated trivia! I did like the word association game Odd plays with Danny! Whew… Seems a bit m
Bark (Has Atrocious Taste)
Mar 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
This is the sequel to Odd Thomas, one of my favorites from Koontz. I wasn't expecting it to be as great as the first in the series but I was looking forward to it anyway.

Sadly, it lacked that emotional spark that made Odd Thomas so appealing a read. This time Odd's friend is kidnapped and he spends the book attempting a rescue and battling a crazed female psychopath who wants Odd to conjure her a ghost. I found my mind drifting away far too often as I read. Too much action, too little emotion. O
Jonathan
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Quintin Merwe
I am still amazed by the amount of times I find myself laughing out loud when reading the "Odd" books. Brilliantly done and 5 starts for the interesting storyline. I stayed up almost all night reading this book and could not put it down.
The most brilliant thing about the book is that Dean writes in a clever way (yes, some of my friends did not get some of the funny parts); the way that things said in the beginning of the book ends up being absolutely hilarious later on while the book still keep
Kelly
Uh oh, kids, it’s that time again. What time, you ask? Time for you to pull out your boots and grab your shovels because that synopsis is pure BULLSHIT!

First of all, Odd does not communicate with the dead, he sees the dead. Big difference. I mean sure, he can talk to them, but unless they whip out a pen and paper, he has no idea what they actually want.

Second of all, Datura is not an exceptionally cunning and fearsome enemy. You know what she is? Crazy. Not schizophrenic, bipolar, manic depres
Melodie
After a hiatus, I returned to the world of Odd. I enjoyed the first book meeting the eccentric, sensitive Odd Thomas and his friends and neighbors of this world and beyond. So I dove into the second book of Odd ready for a walk on the wild side again.
Odd pursues a childhood friend kidnapped by a special kind of villain. It's a race against time and the first part of the book met my expectations. But then as the pursuit wore on and on, I found myself skimming. Skimming through Dean Koontz? Noo!
Maciek
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Love love love these Odd Thomas books... On to the next one!!
Amy
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than the first book. It contained less doom n' gloom foreshadowing but kept up the creepy plot and wild characters. Still somewhat disturbing but interesting enough that I might listen to the third one. I like how philosophical Odd gets and the way he treats the ghosts.
Jaemi
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Odd Thomas was the first book I read by Dean Koontz, and when I saw Forever Odd at a local Borders and got excited because I knew it had to be another Odd Thomas book, I wasn't surprised to find out tht he'd written since people had been clamoring for more. Odd Thomas is a pretty cool guy.

Still recovering from the disastrous events that led him to write his first manuscript, Odd wakes one night to find Dr. Wilbur Jessup in his bedroom staring at him. He has a sinking feeling.

He heads out the doo
Deborah Joyner
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
If you haven't read Odd Thomas, I certainly suggest that you do - this follow-up volume finds Odd in another strange situation. Because Odd can see dead people, he knows something bad is going on when the ghost of his friend Danny's step-dad shows up at the foot of his bed. Danny has been kidnapped - and a strange woman keeps calling Odd with cryptic comments. Following the kidnappers to an abandoned casino, Odd faces down a strange set of killers. It's better than I can describe - Koontz's pros ...more
Laura Crosse
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So this was a huge improvement on the first book in my opinion. In this book I actually totally fell in love with Odd and I couldn't get enough of his weird little ways. In the first instalment I thought it was difficult to warm to his character and I didn't really 'get' his weird humor and stuff but this has all changed. I now adore this character, he's so sweet and funny and refreshingly decent it's just fantastic.

The plot was so much better in this novel as well, I thought. I was hooked after
Debbie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Odd Thomas is truly Forever Odd and thank goodness for that because it sure makes for an entertaining book.

Hooray, I’ve gotten through the second book in this series. And I liked it. And it was by Dean Koontz. So far so good. Once again the adventures of Odd Thomas had me hooked.

What do you get when you combine Odd’s 6th sense with a psychopathic wanna-be witch doctor woman and her zombie goons and put them all in an creepy abandoned casino full of dead people. You get this book! It’s great.
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

This review is based on a recent re-read:

Odd Thomas is at it again.... a great story with lot's of twists, turns and surprises.
A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some
Rachel the Book Harlot
description

Hey, Forever Odd. How ya doin'? Good? Yeah? Look, I'm just gonna come out and say it, things just aren't working out. It's not you, it's me.....

Okay, who are we kidding. It's totally you. Your plot is weak, the story feels like it's not going anywhere, and I'm bored. The magic is gone. And with only one week left of summer vacation, I wanna play the field. You know, weigh my options, read around, see if something catches my interest. I just can't be tied down.

But I really do hope we can be frie
Edward Lorn
May 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Oh my, but how the mighty have fallen. I really, really, really wanted to like this one. I read Odd Thomas some time ago and I was floored by how much I enjoyed it. With that being said, other than the sarcastic humor that made me fall in love with Odd in Koontz in the first place, I found nothing enjoyable about this second in the series. Without spoilers, let me explain why.

Odd walks... a lot. Then, he walks some more. There is, quite literally, one-hundred-twenty paperback pages of Odd simply
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Probably my least favorite of the series :-(

Favorite parts from Forever Odd:

The Tree Of Death stands across the alley and down the block from the Jessup place....

Mr. Ying enjoys lecturing on the deadly nature of the lovely brugmansia. Every part of the tree - roots, wood, bark, leaves, calyxes, flowers - is toxic.

One shred of its foliage will induce bleeding from the nose, bleeding from the ears, bleeding from the eyes, and explosive terminal diarrhea. Within a minute, your teeth will fall out,
Miranda Reads
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I adore Odd so so much - could he be any cuter?

Review to come

Audiobook Comments
Read by David Aaron Baker and he did a fab job with this one!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Danni
Jun 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
The first book was good...this was not good. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who wants to/is reading this one but there are some serious holes in this story. The biggest, being Odd's best friend who was never mentioned in the first story. The other is the ending for which I am only confused. The resolution was far-fetched, even for fiction horror.
Michelle
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Tasha
I’m getting well into Odd Thomas, he’s a cute character that sees dead people and while it’s probably more a YA series of books I’m enjoying it. Especially loving the Elvis side story. Looking forward to seeing what Odd and Elvis get up too next.
Ms. Nikki
Nothing special here, but the "voice" of Odd Thomas. I listened to the audiobook and was slightly bored with the wandering that Odd did in the story. I suppose it was due to the pacing, which was really slow.

I'll read the next, but I'm in no rush.
Wendy
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jan-15
A great addition to the Odd Thomas series!
  • The Eyes of Darkness
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Dark of the Woods/Soft Comes the Dragons
  • Black Creek Crossing
  • Crisscross (Repairman Jack, #8)
  • Dance with the Devil
  • Mystery Walk
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Invasion
  • Dragonfly
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Ransome Women; The Things They Left Behind (Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8)

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na

Odd Thomas (7 books)
  • Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
  • Brother Odd (Odd Thomas, #3)
  • Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4)
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas, #6)
  • Saint Odd (Odd Thomas, #7)
“If one's friends do not openly laugh at him, they are not in fact his friends. ” 193 likes
“The heart is an artist that paints over what profoundly disturbs it, leaving on the canvas a less dark, less sharp version of the truth.” 141 likes