Start by marking “Happenstance (A Second Chance, #1)” as Want to Read:
Happenstance (A Second Chance, #1)

Happenstance

(A Second Chance #1)

Victoria Rivera never expected to be a divorcee by the age of 25. She was supposed to spend the rest of her life with Eric, the handsome, successful lawyer who promised her the world. When the unthinkable happens, Victoria swears to herself that she will not be so easily duped again. Heartbroken and lost, she decides that she needs a fresh start, in a new city, far away fr ...more
Published February 7th 2013 by Self

To ask other readers questions about Happenstance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happenstance

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireNever Too Far by Abbi GlinesEntwined with You by Sylvia DayReckless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
2013 New Adult Releases
1,150 books — 3,114 voters
Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireAvoiding Commitment by K.A. LindeBared to You by Sylvia DayDown to You by Michelle LeightonOn Dublin Street by Samantha Young
Hot Covers
1,186 books — 1,407 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads
THIS REVIEW WAS POSTED AT ANGIE'S DREAMY READS

4 SWEET AND STEAMY STARS

Happenstance is a light, fun read about how life can bring you an unexpected chance at love. It’s got a little bit of drama and a lot of sizzle. Fun characters that are heartwarming, sexy and leave a smile on your face. I thought it was a good debut by M.J Abraham. I’m definitely looking forward to more books by this author in the future.

Victoria’s life took a turn that she never saw coming. She’s 25, divorced, moving to a n
Valerie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was a major let down, the summary seemed well enough but once I got to reading it well, lets just say the summary was better. The author described this book as a fun, short, love story but it was anything but. The whole relationship felt phony and rushed. Not to mention the ridiculous over dramatic fights, I honestly couldn't stand both characters. I can usually find some redeeming qualities in most characters but the bad outweighed the good with both of the main ones.

Victoria

Where t
Jennifer Kyle
Shelves: arcs
3 ~ 4 Lucky Stars

”Forgiveness will allow you to leave room for those that will love you.”

Happenstance is M.J. Abraham's debut novel about Victoria Rivera a sweet, sportsy, Cuban-American who has just finalized her divorce and has moved to Orlando to start over. Victoria tries the causal dating thing which doesn’t really work out well but along the way, by happenstance she meets veterinarian Dr. Jared Owens.

By learning to let go of her past and embracing her future, Victoria works through a tr
Claire Contreras
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story that has everything you want in a book: HOT sex, humor, drama, love.

The MC (Victoria) has a hard time letting her guard down (I get it). She doesn't want to get hurt (I get it). She pushes away the hot, swoon-worthy guy she meets that would do anything for her ( I get it ... lol). I found myself shaking my head at a lot of the things she did/said, but my heart hurt for her because of the things that she had to go through. I loved Jared with his funny T-shirts, huge heart and charmin
Bookhooking (Tanya Childress)
I really really enjoyed this book. The events that took place were very realistic in my opinion. It is always interesting for me when I discover new authors and see what works for some but might not work for others. Well in reading Happenstance I fell in love with the characters, Victoria, her grandmother Abu, her brother Andres, her best friend Maggie but especially Dr. Owens aka Jared.

The story begins with Victoria who never thought she would find herself divorced at the young age of 25. She d

Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
HAPPENSTANCE: the fact that something good happens because of certain circumstances although it happened coincidentally, accidentally, unintended or by chance.

Nothing at all is guaranteed. Circumstances, shit, stuffs and life happen.
Victoria is off to start over in a new place - after finding and seeing her husband cheating - for a new life. But never did she expect to run over into a puppy rush him into the vet and collide with the handsome and sexy Dr. Owens.

Happenstance is honestly an easy,
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Let me explain...

Every time I give a book less than 3~stars it hurts. I feel like I'm literally filling a pillowcase with dead batteries and hitting the author in the face....repeatedly. I know the work that goes into writing a book and I respect anyone with the courage to put their work out there, but Happenstance just wasn't for me.

My feelings about this book are neither black or white. In fact, Happenstance lives somewhere in the median. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. I didn't love it, but I
Nicole
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-favs
I enjoyed most of this book. Victoria was a great girl. She happened by fate to walk into Jared's office. He is immediately taken with her. She puts up a good fight. I mean her ex cheated on her she is standoffish. The stuff with Lisa is hilarious. I love the scene when Lisa comes out of his house acting like they're together and Victoria slaps her, epic. One thing that bugged me was how easy Victoria was able to walk away. When things happened with Lisa she walked away instead of talking it thr ...more
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I really wanted to like Happenstance, I thought the summary/blurb was interesting, the cover was cute and who doesn’t like a vet doctor… BUT at lass, it just didn’t quite work out.

Happenstance felt like it was smashing too many plots into one story… a flop in my opinion

Victoria is divorced because her ex-husband cheated on her, so she is guarded. Jared is a vet and meets Victoria whe
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Happenstance is M.J. Abraham's debut novel and she did a wonderful job with this story.

Victoria has just signed her divorce papers and is ready to move on from the man who broke her heart. She decides to pack her bags and move away from her family and leave behind the life. She has a great new apartment, a new teaching job and will be moving by her best friend. The last thing she wants is to find a man and fall in love. After being betrayed by the one man she thought she would spend her life wi
Audi Forest
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I happen to really like this book. It just touches on a lot of emotions, and definitely a lot of issues as well. Don't get me wrong, this can be a feel-good, somewhat light book and you'll feel rather giddy throughout most of it. But then again, it does bring upon *SPOILER ALERT* the issue of cheating scumbag ex's, clingy psycho ex's, and sleazy rapists. I just about wanted to jump in the book and beat the crap out of said ex gf and rip out the balls of said rapist.

But what I loved about the st
Ashley
I loved the cover! Liked the title. Loved that the hero was a DVM. That's about it.

So I bought this book for two reasons: The cover was adorable & I LOVE a man who loves animals.

That is the extent of positives I can give on this one. It's kind of like when a movie puts all the good parts it its trailer. When you see the movie you discover the trailer was the best part of the experience. For me that is the case with this book.

I did NOT care for the "heroine". I thought she was whinny, a quic
sparklyunikorn
3 stars

This is an honest review. You've been warned.

My first with this author and this book didn't reach to my expectation. Fortunately, I bummed only a bit.

What I liked
1. Easy, light read.
2. Jared and Vic met because of Lucky, a dog.
3. Some heartwarming scenes.
4. Alternative POVs although it was Vic's the most.
5. The guy's a vet. I love men who help and love animals. It was the main reason I grabbed this book.

What I disliked
1. I loved Victoria at the beginning but she became annoying as the
Pamela
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
Not to impressed with this story. In fact, I found Victoria to be quite immature at times. And there was absolutely no heat or chemistry between Victoria and Jared. There was an issue I had a problem with. For someone who's just been divorced, and has declared to never let any man into her heart, I can't understand how she can even think of dating right away. It's only been four months and Victoria is already dating looking for her possible new love. What the hell? I would think she'd want to ta ...more
Jamie
Jan 02, 2013 added it
Could'nt finish it.. had potential to be a good story.. a couple of times I felt really good about it but then it started falling flat fast and after I rolled my eyes for the 10th time by 30% I figured I'd not force myself through it any further. Plus every chapter had the month at the top.. and it was always August except for the first month.. I did not need to be reminded for 5 chapters that it was August. That annoyed me. I won't rate it since I can't give it an honest review without finishin ...more
Marim
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Hotness!!! Jared is my new book boyfriend! <3

I've read this book twice & I've fallen for him both times! I'm about to go searching for a stray & run to the nearest vet with the hope that I'll get as lucky as Victoria!!! :-)

Loved the book- it's funny & sweet. There a few moments that made me cringe & hurt my heart, but the love story (& JARED) made it all better!

I totally recommend curling up with this book- it's a story you'll totally enjoy & characters you'll
Elizabeth Salom (elistar)
You will LOVE this fun, flirty debut romance by MJ Abraham! If you're looking for a sweet love story about starting over with super hot sex (not to mention a swoon-worthy love interest), this is the book for you.
J
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
~ Love is a gamble and sometimes it hurts, but whether you win or lose being in love is a beautiful thing.~

This was good!
Really enjoyed Jared and Victoria's story.

Sarah Camargo
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute read. I wished Eric wanted her back and he got to feel hearbreak! Loved her sarcastic attitude and I hope the brother gets his own book. Jared was super sweet and so loyal.
Mandi Schreiner
DNF at 50%

Not liking the hero at all. No, no, no. He comes across as a jerk. And kind of skeevy. At least to me.
Dympna
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Circumstances shouldn’t always set your happiness, sometimes you have to look within your heart. Love Conquers All."

The story is written mainly from the point of view of Victoria, with a few chapters from Jared thrown in for good measure. I found this a nice added extra, it's not overdone. MJ Abraham uses it at some of the most poignant points in the story and it gives us a better understanding and appreciation of the relationships between the characters.

Victoria is just recently divorced,
Lauren ♥ Inked in Chapters
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can read this and other reviews at Madisonsays

Okay, okay! I’ll admit it, but you better not judge me. I totally picked Happenstance up based on the cover. *sigh* I know, I know… I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what to expect and in turn didn’t expect much. I figured it would be a quick, fun, predictable read. Boy was I wrong! M. J. Abraham packed a punch with her debut novel.

Starting over is never easy. Victoria Rivera knows this first hand. After divorcing her husband of two years because he
Fiction And Fashion Book Blog
Check out our Book Blog Tour and Book Looks on the Blog!

Brittany and Abby's review for www.fictionandfashion.com

Twenty-five is suppose to be an amazing age. For Victoria not so much. Newly divorced and on her own, she is re-learning what it's like to truly be alone. All three of us have passed our quarter life stage {Brittany is currently on quarter-life crisis #2, but she was slightly early and late to the party with both of those...haha} The thing we lik
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog

Happenstance was a quick easy story to read. However, it pains me to say that Happenstance just wasn’t for me.

It was well written and had a lot of emotion and I loved the second chance message in it.

I do not want to turn anyone off reading this story as everyone should judge for themselves, however I have to give an honest review on why this one didn’t work for me.

This story is about Victoria a 20 something newly divorced girl who is starting to re build her life after catching her hu
Beatriz
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

5 HOT AND SWEET STARS. This was an enjoyable quick read. I love Jared and Victoria's romance.

It is honestly an easy, breezy and smooth read. In its shortness, the story tackles every side that needs to be known and it’s just plainly good and great. The story has different aspects from love, family and traumatic experiences and each one
Christina Lyn
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
From Facebook review:

Its already pass 2 in the morning on the lovely Saturday and just finished 'Happenstance by MJ Abraham', I'm glad to share to ya'all that this book is so easy, breezy and beautiful to read. Of course there are moments that she really gotten on my skin due to her stubbornness. But gladly at the end she find her way back.

Victoria experienced a cheating husband that leads them to divorced at the age of 25. She moved a state to forget and start living fresh. The dog named lucky
Holly
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
After two years of marriage Victoria catches her husband cheating on her, six months later she finds herself divorced and starting over. To give herself a fresh start she moves three hours away from her family and ex husband forcing herself to stand on her own, she moves to Orlando near her best friend Maggie, where she finally begins her career as teacher (after she got married she became a stay at home wife) the last thing she was looking for was a relationship, but after meeting the very cute ...more
Yamyjessy
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book . It was cute, funny, sexy with a little drama. After reading I got a craving for rice, huevo frito and platanito. Lol. Thank you M.J. For putting a little of our Cuban culture in there. Can't wait to read more from you!
Deeana Galindo
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥
Such a great book about fate and second chances.I loved♥ Dr. Owens from the start and so happy with his and V's love story. I hope book two continues there story along with her brothers.

A must read!♡♥♡♥
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• All the Right Moves
  • Love and Truth
  • Misguided Heart (Misguided, #1)
  • Broken
  • Nepřítel mého nepřítele (Bavettovi, #2)
  • Destined to Change (Destined, #1)
  • Second Rate Chances
  • No Strings
  • Moving Forward (Timing is Everything, #1)
  • You Got Me
  • The Cirque
  • Distractions
  • In the Air (The City, #1)
  • Hard to Resist (Hard to Resist, #1)
  • Unexpected
  • Drowning in You
  • What You Do to Me (Unexpected Love, #1)
  • The Sixteenth Need (Partlow, #1)
MJ Abraham lives in central Florida with her family. When she doesn't have her head stuck in a book, you can find her on social media.

A Second Chance (2 books)
  • Resplendent (A Second Chance, #2)
“Love is a gamble and sometimes it hurts, but whether you win or lose being in love is a beautiful thing.” 16 likes
“Circumstances shouldn't always set your happiness, sometimes you have to look within your heart. Love Conquers All.” 8 likes