Start by marking “Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)

Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  7,581 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
Kylara Vatta, risk-taking, rule-breaking, can-do heroine of Trading in Danger, is back in business–the kind that’s anything but usual–in the new military science fiction adventure by ace action storyteller Elizabeth Moon.

The exciting military career she hoped for never got off the ground–but Ky Vatta ended up seeing plenty of combat when she took the helm of one of the com
Published September 28th 2004 by Del Rey

Lata
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a fast, light read, lots of action, and lots of discussions on how to provision their ship, how they'd make $, what could they trade, in amidst the fear and constant danger of attack by some unknown entity targeting the Vattas for destruction.
Nothing deep, just a fun, fast read.
JAIME
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got to tell you, I'm really enjoying this series. It's pretty serious, all planning and conspiring and technical stuff. A boatload of death. No sexy times. Not even a love interest (unless I've completely missed something) But, I likey.

My only real complaint is Ky's cousin. Who is a selfish bitch.

MORE.
Guy
Moon's weaknesses as a writer are starting to dominate in this series. While I still read this book cover to cover more or less in a single sitting, that is definitely much more a reflection of my love for space opera than the quality of the work.

The palette of "real" characters (as opposed to transparent props) has expanded a little, but the new faces don't have serious pyschological depth. Perhaps even more serious, deus ex machina is reaching ridiculous proportions: in a civilization spannin
Cathy
I was annoyed for a lot of the book about how perfect Ky was. She's a 22 year-old kid on her first real tour, didn't even finish the academy, but she's somehow way ahead of all of the experienced people because they're just traders and she's bloodthirsty. Ack, annoying. But she made some mistakes near the end that reduced my irritation. On the other hand, Rafe is a problem. That they just happen upon the one guy in the universe with that tech, history and skill set is too absurd; the author shou ...more
Ben Babcock
I couldn’t resist, guys. I liked Trading in Danger so much that I couldn’t wait any longer, so I got Marque and Reprisal when last I went to the library, and here I am reading it, almost two months to the day since I read the first book. Like I said on Twitter, Elizabeth Moon writes books that are like crack—except better, because it turns out that crack is actually very bad for you. The first book introduced us to Ky Vatta and provided an intense, compelling space opera. Marque and Reprisal f ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Oh good grief... Look, that rating is for the edition I "listened" to. I got the audio version from the library here.

Anyone who's read many of my reviews or been in a "fantasy" group where I'm a member will probably know that Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion books are some of my "all time favorite" reads. I like most everything I've read by Ms. Moon. For all I know this is a very good novel...

So, why oh why did they get one of the poorest readers I've ever heard to read the audio versions of the bo
Jim
Apr 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good (OK?) second book to the series. Major crisis & well fought by our heroine, Kylara. I was a little disappointed by the sudden surge in technology. Without spoiling the story, a crucial resource is suddenly not nearly as scarce as we'd been led to think - or the rest of the universe. It stretched my suspension of belief to the breaking point. It was an almost magical fix, something that marks less than great fiction. It was still a good story, but it lost a lot of points with me for th ...more
Liviu
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sf, read_2017
short review of the series (huge novel split into 5) under Trading in danger

Simone
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly the type of science fiction I love to read. Militaristic believability mixed with the good old space trader polish. Ky Vatta is the type of woman that I'd probably fall over myself to impress and follow to the end of the Earth, because she's good even if she's not right.

I'm not sure yet where her loyalties lie exactly, I'm sure that she's working for Vatta - as a family and as a corporation. I'll be interested in finding out where she's going, especially not with the way tha
Ron
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, rounded down because I expected better. (I'm determined to be less of a "Santa Claus" with ratings in 2014. I've been good about 5 stars, but entirely too liberal with 4.) Oh, Moon's writing was still tight and fast paced. I liked it.

But this book is more like an expanded chapter or short story, than a stand-alone novel. Ky meets new people--some of whom she befriends, some she kills--and stumbles through the remains of her disintegrating universe.

I prefer this series over even the Ho
Tasula
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A relaxing space opera, follow up to Trading in Danger, about the young, inexperienced spaceship captain who became embroiled in a battle with pirates. In the sequel, Kylara Vatta continues to make her way toward her cargoes' destinations, but has to keep foiling assassination attempts. She encounters other Vatta family members and reconnects with the mercenary organization she worked with in book 1. Moon's stories are enjoyable, but not complex or thrilling. For space opera with female leads ov ...more
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reread..
Lexxi Kitty
The second book in the Vatta’s War series sees a massive ramping up of conflict. The first book showed both a flash, a brush fire so to speak (minor conflict), and how ‘competent’ both mercenary and the interstellar communications people, ISC, can be in both intimidation and fixing stuff. Basically the first showed the universe as it was on the edge of massive change. The second book, this one here, showed that change.

The conflict in the first book really didn’t seem to require the use of the t
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Ky remains a strong favourite, and exactly what I need right now <3
Johnny
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The second in a, presumably young adult, series by Elizabeth Moon, Marque and Reprisal offers one of the most interesting zero-G combat scenes I can ever remember. Taking place in a damaged airlock, the conflict ended in the pink flakes of immediately frozen and dehydrated blood and took place within “realistic” limitations that had me almost hyperventilating for the character I most wanted to survive. That scene alone is worth reading this novel, particularly since it is a very fast novel to re ...more
James
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series could have been taken for a stand alone novel - yes there were unanswered questions but overall it felt complete (for me anyway). With this one though there is no doubt that it is a part of a series. It works through the first three quarters of the book as a way of setting up the conflict for the books to come - there is action, with plenty of assassination attempts, the attacks on Vatta and Stella, Toby and Rafe's flight but it just felt like it was the prelude to ...more
Simone
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, this was a thoroughly interesting read and it had me hooked from beginning to end. Secondly, unlike some second books in a series I didn't hate the character additions, in fact, I mostly approved of them wholeheartedly. Thirdly, Kylara Vatta remains as interesting as she was in the first book.

Kylara Vatta was another family screw-up in the first book, but she was a screw-up with all the connections of her family where it suited her to use them. The very beginning of this novel tears her
Kristin
Second book in the Vatta series. First book was Trading in Danger.

I found the second book to be as engaging as the first, if not a little slow to start as we watch the crisis unfold and Kylara stocking up with weapons and supplies. I did notice a trend that anyone in an authority position automatically assume the worst and try to add to Kylara's problems. Once or twice, I could see, but every time?

There is something about Moon's dialog that still seems "off" to me. Again the impression of an a
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
I feel about the same about this book as I did about Trading in Danger, the previous book in the series. The writing is average, but the pacing is tight and there's plenty of action to keep you turning pages to find out what happens next. The downsides are still apparent, in that character development remains somewhat surface-only and there's never really time for true emotional connections both between characters or between characters and reader.

Ky has certainly developed some and she remains a
Lorena
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Space Opera is never going to be Shakespeare, but that doesn't mean I don't stay up until one o'clock in the morning just to read another chapter (or three).

I like the questions that Moon raises, the choices she makes as an author. A woman kills in self-defense. That's justifiable. But she finds out she really kind of... likes killing. And she has a hard time justifying it to herself, let alone talk to someone about it. That's dark (but a brave choice, an interesting "flaw" to give an otherwise
Stacey
The action never stops (it took me longer to get into the first one, because the first 100 pages or so were more descriptive and lacked action).

The protagonist is a bit of an enigma. She's dealing with some self-revelations that make her even more interesting, though perhaps less likeable. However, she's also kick-butt, smart, and determined, and I can't help but root for her. There's some interesting romantic tension between her and a rogue on her crew, which I can't wait to see resolved. Addi
Neil Davies
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second book is every bit as good as the first. Fast moving, exciting and sometimes funny. Elizabeth Moon continues makes my own attempts at space opera feel inadequate. Excellent stuff. This is the kind of science fiction I love and had been finding difficult to find. Not any more.
Banshee
Kylara Vatta has joined up with her cousin Stella and Stella's friend Rafe. Ky wants to rebuild the Vatta transport company and get revenge for her murdered family. Stella is more resistant to the idea of revenge though. Together they join up with a group of mercenaries, meet an old forgotten family member and come closer to discovering the truth behind the reason the Vatta family was targeted.

The beginning of the novel was slow as business deals were discussed, characters were introduced and p
Jean Hontz
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
82. [Marque and Reprisal] - Elizabeth Moon - Vatta's War 2 - ROOT

Rating: Fun and couldn't putdownable.

'The whole trick in moving on a hull without safety lines, the instructor had said, is not to do it in the first place.' But of course Ky ended up doing just that.

Kylara Vata, thrown out of her planet's military academy, had just endured her first exposure to being a trading captain in her family's trading company. It hadn't gone that well, not entirely because of her, but it certainly had give
Maddalena
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
After the delightful discovery of this series with the first book, Trading in Danger, I did not wait too long to read the second volume in Elizabeth Moon's Vatta's War, because my curiosity about the main character's continuing journey needed to be satisfied. Sadly, Marque and Reprisal proved to be something of a disappointment, or maybe the victim of excessive expectations, because it did not meet the standards of its predecessor.

In the aftermath of the adventures in book 1, Kylara Vatta does n
Serenity
The narrative style is a bit too logistical. "Ship docks at station. Ky queries local bank to set up account. Then she queries local security providers. 3 companies come up. She calls company 1, they say no. She calls company 2, they will send someone over. Bank calls back to confirm account. She calls captain's guild to book room. Now she has 3 errands to run. She goes to run them." Etc.

Also wish the plot were a little more layered and the characters more complex. Ky is really starting to get
Sue Law
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sf
Another fast-paced, enjoyable chapter in the rollicking Vatta's War space opera series. I'll definitely be chasing up the next in the series, but I'm not sure I'll re-read it, so a 3, not a 4.
The Vatta shipping empire and ISC, the inter-stellar communications monopoly, are under attack. Ky Vatta and her elderly space ship find themselves cut off from HQ, with all company accounts frozen and under attack themselves. Ky's quick wits saves the ship, but where can they go?
Kathryn Joy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm enjoying this series

Ms Moon is an excellent, imaginative writer ... the story flow is smooth, her word choice is good, the battle sequences are well thought out and often have startling actions that show Ms Moon's in-depth knowledge of how complex war in space can be. The characters are all likable, believable, and the bad guys are really bad!
Lushr
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
more interesting characters, less action, and still some unfinished threads from the first novel like macrobertsons gifts.. apparently this is more a space opera than an adventure series. according to other reviewers. but it’s not one of those hugely complex, cliff hanger, twisted days of our lives type things. these books are keeping me reading sometimes all night. so they must be pretty good.
Mekerei
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Vatta Series. The story carried on from the first book.

Kylara Vatta is in charge of her ship and crew. The adventure continues. Powered thru this book. On to number three.

Four stars
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Flag in Exile (Honor Harrington, #5)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...

Vatta's War (5 books)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
  • Blood Music
    $15.99 $1.99
“This individual does not know where initiative ends and rocket-propelled idiocy begins.” 6 likes