Start by marking “The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time” as Want to Read:

Moscow-born Sergey Brin and Midwest-born Larry Page dropped out of graduate school at Stanford University to, in their own words, "change the world" through a powerful search engine that would organize every bit of information on the Web for free. The Google Story takes you deep inside the company's wild ride from an idea that struggled for funding in 1998 to a firm that ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Delta (first published 2005)

Start your review of The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time
Girish
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Google Story was a fascinating peek into the biggest brand and arguably the most successful technology company of all times. I remember some 8 years ago, when the book had come out everybody I met had read it already and were raving about it. I think the marketing term is reverse-bandwagon effect, I put off reading it then for the very same reason.

Writing about an organization while it is in existence is indeed tough - especially if it is written by a news reporter. The chapters are essays
Neeraj Bali
This is a remarkable story put together by someone who apparently had limited access to the mysterious labyrinths of Google. The book’s jacket clearly tells us that the book was not created, authorised or endorsed by Google, Inc.
The narrative is starry-eyed and rarely reflects on the downside of Google’s journey. No doubt, the founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin fully deserve many of the kudos that came their way. Still, I came away with a feeling that the story could have been more balanced.
Tanushree Vyas
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
New found love and admiration for this organisation, without which the world seems essentially unimaginable today.
This book is a comprehensive and lucid account of how the Google guys (Brin and Page) computer science PhD students at Stanford, thought of an idea and with their sheer resolve and cunningness built upon it and offered a revolutionary product in the world of internet that has made human life easy and simple in ways it would've been difficult to imagine otherwise.
Fostering a culture
Alanoud
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Could I be more in love with this company!!!!

Last year one of our instructors showed us a short documentary about Google workplace. I remember the first thing popped into my mind was like; Man, they've got to be kidding!! .
I mean the wacky environment and behaviors; you might find someone's walking in his pajama. Another one is doing his laundry!! And a third is getting a massage, while the fourth is playing with her puppy!! Oh, and let me add this a BARBERSHOP in your office, and of course the
Cake
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was incredibly bland. The author omitted or glossed over any negatives in the first two-thirds of the book, so when the legal issues are discussed towards the end they seem to come from nowhere. This should have been an easy read but it just didn't grab my attention at all.
Mohamed Badi3
In The Plex is away better.
Nikhil
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't think that this is a balanced take on the story, though I do understand why. It does provide a lot of information on into the origins of the company and while the eccentricities of the founders Sergey and Brin were thoroughly interesting, the rest of the workings of the organisation did not quite capture my attention as much, truth be told. The rivalry with Microsoft seemed pretty biased and I think that all the chapters after that seemed to be written to impress than instil. Google was ...more
Melissa
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: business and computing students
I have a big interest in marketing and business, and I found this book to be a very well structured and interesing narrative of how one company came up with something new and better and brought their business vision to fruition.

Especially fascinating were the details of how the leadership roles were split amongst the creators and the CEO they hired, and how they compare with some of the traditional modes of leadership in Silicon Valley business ventures.

Their work culture philosophy is also
Tim
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
description
I really liked this book and perhaps more so I loved the Google story. Are the Google guys really the goodies? I'm not sure but I need to believe that one can be financially successful without having to sell your soul or move away from your true goals and that is what I got most from this book. Guys wanting to create the best, not veering from the path despite the pressures. Not even wondering how it is going to make a dime. Simply focused on getting it right.

The Google story puts any other
Tushar Damle
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book chronicles the journey of Google from its early days in the garage of a Paolo Alto residence, to mid 2005, roughly a year after Google went public. It is extensive in scope and covers everything from the idea search using 'pagerank', which led Google's founding, the early struggles of Larry and Sergey to get capital and their subsequent effort to make Google profitable, to their other products like Gmail and AdSense, their IPO and Google's future plans.

One of the recurring themes in
Santhosh
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About: Founding, rise, and establishing of Google. The mistakes that competitors made, the philosophy behind "Do No Evil", Stanford, the simple, plain homepage, the Google business model, the 'attitude', $85, dreams, guts, confidence, Sergey Brin & Larry Page, garage, Googleplex, Charlie's, AOL-Europe contract (just like in Archer's Fourth Estate), acquisitions, Microsoft, China, Redmond, finance, Wall Street, the present, litigation, burst bubble, geeks, GLAT, Search, genetics, the ...more
Hillary
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
This is the story of Google. It exceeded my expectations. So many parts to this story from their early start to the goals of the future. And while reading it you begin to realize how Google game in and changed the world. It’s cutting edge thinking and ideas came at a most crucial time in internet history. Learn their unique plans and how they brought about this unique vision. They also touch on where they are headed and the competition. Great read if you love stories of starters.
Prateek Dwivedi
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book in 2018 is too late, was what I thought when I picked it up. The revenue model of Google is no more a mystery as it used to be way back then. Google has always been an open company, what could this book have that we all don't know? It isn't a legacy to be celebrated, we are seeing Google taking new heights in front of our eyes.

It turned out that I was wrong. No matter how much I knew about this giant, without this book I would have never learned about one trait of its cofounder
Joshua
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: stem-books
Something of a not-particularly-well-written puff piece for Google, back from the days when people still believed they could solve All Of The Problems by hurling themselves headlong at the altar of Technology. (And it's weird these tech wizards do their worship at the Burning Man Festival.)
The weakness of Google is they have all the bits in one box, and can pull out nearly any one in a split second, but can't assemble them into anything except a gargantuan company, with its own tacky, life
Alexandra
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
SO much google propoganda. Also loved it. Also profiled so many bros and just casually mentioned the many successes of Marissa Mayer? Boo.
Vishal Kale
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Google Story is a business case study, a lesson for all managers. It is a book that ought to be required reading in Management Classes everywhere. This is the story of an organisation’s growth from start-up status to world leadership. It is the story that tells the virtues of sticking to basic business principles and fundamentals, almost to the exclusion of all else. It is a story of how you can still have values, and yet do good business. And it is also the story of how, in crunch times, ...more
Bivisyani Questibrilia
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's curious about Google's history
Who doesn't know Google at this epoch in human history? It's a worldwide phenomenon by now and it's hard to come across someone in the modern era who has never heard of the brand. That being said, not many people actually know how the company was founded and what it has gone through since its establishment. I'm one of those in dark and I'm glad I read this book.

It's a pretty straight forward book, telling the story of the Google Guys and how they came to become the founder of arguably the
Micah Grant
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Interesting background on the company, but still seems to paint them as the good guys in all cases. I hope it's true, they have changed the world and have the potential to make even bigger changes.
Sean L.
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I thought about this book was that this book, The Google Story, has got to be one of the best books I ever read for a while. Every single part of the book was very interesting to read about and I learned a lot more about Google and the history about it. On Goodreads, there was a lot of positive feedback and comments from many other people that have read this book. People on Goodreads said that it was an excellent book in explaining the more in depth history of Google and its formation. I ...more
Steven Bury
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read and I learned some about Google. However, the author often comes off like an adoring fan. Brin and Page are generally painted as the most brilliant and good guys on the planet and perpetual underdogs. It goes to great length to talk about what great families they came from, how smart they are, how cool they are (going to Burning Man all the time), and how dedicated to helping the user and the world. This is generally kept at a reasonable level, but really gets crazy ...more
Nanda Wanninayaka
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read The Google Story a couple of years ago. It is meant to be the history of the Google Inc. but it looked more of a detective story as the whole book is very interesting with unbelievable incidents. The way Sergey Brin and Larry Page got together, the way they dropped out of Stanford University, their constant experimentations, expanding, meeting venture capitalists, investments pouring in and hiring a CEO are equally interesting incidents in Google’s way to success. It is amazing to read ...more
Gordon Alley
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
This is a very intriguing and interesting story of how two young guys changed the world through their search engine called Google. The story is very inspiring and motivating as I wonder what God can do through two young guys growing up in 2014 that can literally change the world through the power of the Holy Spirit and obedience to the Word of God.
Ilya
Mar 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
maybe it's the annoying guy reading the audiobook, or the gushing, insipid praise lavished through the prism of hindsight on the google founders, but this book takes an interesting story and makes it unbearable. hopefully brin and paige will write their own biographies when they are good and ready, cause no one should bother with this.
Thamrong
Jul 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An anti-thesis about business strategy....2 PhD dropouts from Standford who make it good while others stumbled.
Bjarnim
good insight into the development of google. All these google books need updating now after significant changes in recent months/years.
Stathis Kamperis
Occasionally a bit cheesy & too unbalanced in favor of Google. The first half of the book is more interesting, but so is Google's story.
Neha Jain
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!! As a reader, non-nonsense fast paced style. As a google lover, seems like I have seen it through. :)
Moses
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
audio book. not particularly scintillating.
Fatema Gandhi
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Anirudh
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
As a biography about one of the most famous companies of our time, my expectations were to learn about the early years of the company and get a few insights into the minds of the people who built it.

While the author does make an effort to deliver on those things, he seems to be suffering from the tendency to unload everything he discovered about the company, whether or not readers would find it interesting or relevant. As a result, many of the chapters were unconnected from others and dealt
How To Get Facebook Page Reviews 1 1 Sep 02, 2019 11:34AM
Suggestion For Buying Gmail Accounts 1 1 Sep 02, 2019 11:29AM
Important Information About Pinterest 1 1 Sep 02, 2019 11:28AM
Facebook Accounts For Your Business 1 1 Sep 02, 2019 11:23AM
Power bi latest updates 1 1 Aug 20, 2019 03:04AM
Online Mobile Recharge Service 1 1 Mar 07, 2018 05:10AM
Abney Associates Internet Security News: Hartford Steam Boiler Launches Cyber Attack Protection for Small Businesses 12 24 Apr 16, 2014 09:47AM

• The Facebook Effect: The Inside Story of the Company That is Connecting the World
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
  • What Would Google Do?
  • Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul
  • Inside Steve's Brain
  • Inside Apple
  • Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan to Organize Everything We Know
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It
  • Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything
  • I'm Feeling Lucky: The Confessions of Google Employee Number 59
  • Steve Jobs
  • The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary
  • Einstein: The Life of a Genius
  • The Second Coming of Steve Jobs
  • My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams
  • Insanely Simple: The Obsession That Drives Apple's Success
  • Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy
“Google is not a conventional company. We do not intend to become one.” 0 likes
“It was consumer pull, rather than business push, that would determine where ads appeared.” 0 likes