Start by marking “The Butterfly Jar” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly Jar

The Butterfly Jar

Jeff Moss, one of the original creators of the  award-winning Sesame Street, in collaboration with  illustrator Chris Demarest, has created this  "offering of upbeat poetry that includes the  serious and the silly." -- Booklist.
Published October 1st 1989 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly Jar

Rebecca Schweitzer
Apr 02, 2012 Rebecca Schweitzer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite book of Children's poetry. My favorite poems are "Hi, How Are You Today?" and "The Cuddlies" both of which I memorized as a child. An overall great book.
Sushma
Dec 16, 2014 Sushma rated it it was amazing
An endearingly silly-smart-funny book that I simply loved. One of the best books I've ever received as a gift. An instant cheerer-upper! I'm sure kids would love it too.
Henna Patel
Feb 16, 2013 Henna Patel rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-book
Summary: The Butterfly Jar is wonderful book of poems by Jeff Moss. This book has many different types of poems that are not quite related to each other. The first poem starts with The Butterfly Jar and then other poems such as Purple, Sword Swallowing and The Banana King. The book shares poems for children to simply enjoy. They are funny, cute and full of imagination.

Response: I truly enjoyed the poems in this book. They are full of wonderful different silly topics that are simply fun to read.
Nadia Gonzalez
Feb 11, 2013 Nadia Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
Summary: The Butterfly Jar is another silly but yet seriuos collection of poems by Jeff Moss. Butterfly Jar offers a variety poems that range from different types of events, people, objects, and experiences. Moss uses the collections to decribe childhood adventures and misadventures capturing the humor of children. The illustrations are cartoon like but complement each verse form page to page.

Response: Reading these poetry books are changing my views about poetry. I have always known poetry to
Nina G.
Mar 03, 2013 Nina G. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, imagination
The Butterfly Jar is a collaboration of poems that are both humorous and playful to both adults and children. Jeff Moss does an outstanding job of writing these poems from a child's perspective just as he did with the classic childrens T.V. show Sesame Street. The poems are creative, silly, and great for anyone to read at any age. The cartoons that go along with each poem are simple yet have a humorous side as well.

My response: I really enjoyed reading this book of poems. I am not really a big f
Brenda Pritchard
POETRY:
This book is a book of poems by one of the creators and head writers of Sesame Street. All the poems are funny, zany, and quirky in their own way. One of the poems titled "London Bridge" goes;

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down,
London Bridge is falling down,

If a bridge in your town was falling down, Would you make up a cute little song about it?
I hope not.

My fair lady.

That just gives an example of the humor in the poetry that kids would enjoy.

I would recommend t
Jun 15, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
These are pretty typical poems for kids -- a bit quirky, funny, and serious mixed in together. The style and illustrations remind me of Shel Silverstein's, though of course no one can touch Shel's skills as a poet.

Reading illustrated poetry for children on a Kindle might not have been the best idea ever. I suspect that the ideas and poems might flow a bit better when they are presented in print.
Michele
Nov 25, 2008 Michele rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this book! Jeff Moss, the man behind such Sesame Street classics like "Rubber Ducky", "The People in your Neighborhood" and "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon", has created a set of classic poems ranging from the silly and offbeat like hugging an octupus to the seriousness the death of parent. Each one touches children and adults as well in hilarious and touching ways. I highly recommend this for young and the young at heart.
Kassie
Apr 24, 2009 Kassie rated it it was amazing
I read the "Butterfly Jar" for my poety unit in my Kid Lit class. This book is filled with tons of poems about bugs, families, and toys. When I first got this book to read I thought that it was going to be full of stuff that would be kinda lame beacuse it was "children's poems." I actually laughed a lot while reading these poems. The book is full of peoms that are funny, cute, and friendly! I would recommended this book to children who like to read good poetry.
April Castle
Apr 25, 2011 April Castle rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
These poems are from a kids point of view. Example of one is how they see a wedding. The perception of a child is so much different then an adult. It is a funny book to read to an class. The poems are so true. I believe you could read a poem a day for a little light humor in your classroom.
Jeretta Hall-Robinson
Jan 26, 2012 Jeretta Hall-Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
The Butterfly Jar wasn't too bad. It had some really good poems in it and other poems were not so great or actually very sad. But the good outweigh the bad in this book. They are very enjoyable and remind me bit of Shel Silverstien. All in all, not too bad!
Tersa
Oct 05, 2008 Tersa rated it really liked it
This is such a cute book of poetry. Some of it is similar to Shel Silverstein, but for a younger audience. The author wrote lyrics for Sesame Street for several years. Some of those are included in this collection.
Angie
Feb 18, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
I still have this book on my shelf!
Beverly
Aug 24, 2015 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: j-poetry
Some of the poems were funny, and some were serious, and the drawings by Chris Demarest were right on target; but I think that Silverstein and Prelutsky wrote better funny poems.
Feb 28, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite poetry books. Jeff Moss has just a gentle way of seeing life. Kids will laugh out loud at the characters. Lots of life lessons in short little poems!
Reenie Peppers
Jul 18, 2014 Reenie Peppers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-childrens
Themes: humorous poetry, everyday experiences poetry
Activities: read-aloud, discuss the everyday situations, have students write a poem along the theme of a poem in the book
Carole
Apr 27, 2014 Carole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Jeff Moss has written a book full of silly, funny, sad, and any and every other subject of poetry for children, illustrated by Chris Demarest.
Rachel
Apr 28, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Reminds me of Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends!"
Madison
Sep 11, 2016 Madison rated it it was amazing
This book is my favorite set of poetry to fit a wide range of ages.
Bonnie Anderson
Dec 06, 2014 Bonnie Anderson rated it it was amazing
This book was my favorite book growing up. I loved poetry, and Jeff Moss writes SPLENDID poetry to make children happy! Highly recommended.
J
Mar 27, 2012 J rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I would expect from a Sesame Street composer...plus it has the words to I Don't Want to Live on the Moon (which I need to memorize so I can sing it to the boy).
Hiller
Hiller rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2012
Olivia E
Olivia E rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2009
Leskiddoshoffman
Leskiddoshoffman rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2008
Erica Converso
Erica Converso rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Madeline Cook
Madeline Cook rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeff Moss was a head writer and composer-lyricist on Sesame Street. Some of his best-known songs from the show include "Rubber Duckie," "I Love Trash," "The People in Your Neighborhood," "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon," and "Nasty Dan." In addition to songwriting, Moss helped create Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch, and Guy Smiley.

Moss won 15 Emmys for his work and wrote the songs for four Gram