Start by marking “Customs And Controversies: Intertestamental Jewish Backgrounds Of The New Testament” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A survey of intertestamental Judaism focusing on the customs and controversies which provide insight into the New Testament.
Paperback
Published November 1st 1995 by Baker Publishing Group (MI)

To ask other readers questions about Customs And Controversies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Customs And Controversies

Stacey
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be more difficult to read and comprehend. One of the reasons for this was probably, because I couldn't just glide through the information piece by piece. (8 week grad course) What I love about this book is there is TONS of useful info given. It is laying down the foundations needed to understand the New Testament. It gives background information on Judaism and what is referred to as Intertestamental Judaism (after Old Testament and before New Testament). It talks about the cr ...more
Brent McCulley
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nt-studies
A fantastic piece of scholarly work, J. Julius Scott Jr presents the standard text of Jewish backgrounds in light of the New Testament with his Jewish Backgrounds of the New Testament. The book is as engaging as is it comprehensive, with deep historical and theological insights capturing the eclectic and nuanced culture that helped shape the writers of our NT canon.

This material is so rich in detail and insight, careful examination of this text needs to be done insofar as one can fully absorb th
Ki Goff
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a whooping scholarly book, so come with a dictionary to make sure you know what those words mean, but it's got all the pluses of a great scholarly work; good research, interesting points, well identified sources.

And on a more personal note--the book felt like dry but interesting information, but I noticed that now as I read the Bible I feel like so much more of a part of it because I understand the nuances of some of their culture and thinking. It's so much more involving now. I'm so glad
Brian Chilton
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my textbooks for New Testament Orientation I at Liberty University. This is an excellent textbook and will open up your eyes to the culture and times of the Intertestamental period and the New Testament times. Understanding this information opens up your eyes to the New Testament. It is going from an analog black and white view of the New Testament to a color, high definition view of the New Testament. If you are a New Testament student or scholar, you will enjoy this book. One w ...more
Bob
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a valuable resource in helping one to understand the context of the life of Jesus. It is moves quickly without getting bogged down yet gives the reader a good idea about the subject matter at hand. It is basic and does not get into a lot of in depth detail but again does provide a good base so one will have a good handle on the Jewish background of both the NT and the intertestamental period; which I found very interesting and helpful.
Debbie Blane
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another teacher at the college where I will be teaching loaned me this book to help me prepare for teaching New Testament Background in January. Learning a lot so far! Continued on December 7th: The book is good, interesting, and an excellent springboard into looking further at the issues which are introduced. As I found myself being overwhelmed by detail I moved on to other books on the subject.
Joshua
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I thought it would be more dry than it was but it was actually very fascinating. Anyone who is a student of the New Testament will enjoy getting a "behind-the-scenes-look" at the time period of Jesus, the 12 and the apostle paul. Great Book!
Vance
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of valuable information here, coupled with some poor analysis. My biggest concern is that Scott mischaracterizes the role of Torah in Second Temple Judaism to retain an essentially Lutheran understanding of Paul.
Jonathan Slaughter
Not an easy read, but didn't expect it to be. This book is full of useful information and very informative since the Bible moves from the Old to New Testament without any background for what happened in the many years in between.
J. Eric
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent resource for better understanding the cultural context into which the New Testament was birthed. The Intertestamental Period is often overlooked by the community of faith as a valuable arena of study.
Matt Crawford
The book itself often repeats itself. Rather than focus on the current audience it deals with the audience before the New Testament. The apocrypha including its Jewish books is what this book is really about.
Josh Shelton
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblical-studies
Excellent study of the intertestamental period.
Conor Searl
well written, informative, a little boring.
Patti
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book in my New Testament Orientation class.
Katie
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very enlightening.
Philip
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute must-read for anyone who wants to get a sound introduction to the intertestamental period.
Sean-david
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Good insight on Intertestamental Judaism and early NT thought
Kevin
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The book gives a great look at the situations that molded the thoughts and drives of the New Testament people. It can be a slow read but the knowledge gleaned is well worth it.
Jason Bratcher
Very informative and an easy read.
Chris Cahill
Jeremiah Mustered
Aug 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The New Testament: Its Background and Message
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • The Greco-Roman World of the New Testament Era: Exploring the Background & Early Christianity
  • God Is Love: A Biblical And Systematic Theology
  • Sketches of Jewish Social Life
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament: A Decision-Maker's Guide to Shaping Your Church
  • Are Miraculous Gifts for Today?: Four Views (Counterpoints Series)
  • Five Views on Biblical Inerrancy
  • Slaves, Women, and Homosexuals: Exploring the Hermeneutics of Cultural Analysis
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The Temple and the Church's Mission: A Biblical Theology of the Dwelling Place of God
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Apocalyptic Imagination: An Introduction to Jewish Apocalyptic Literature
  • From Eden to the New Jerusalem: An Introduction to Biblical Theology
  • New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context
  • Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis
“Jerusalem was rebuilt as a Gentile city, Aelia Capitolina, and with a temple dedicated to Jupiter. Jews were forbidden to enter the city on pain of death. The Jewish state, as a political entity, was not again to emerge for over eighteen centuries.” 0 likes
“Jason’s efforts to retake the high priesthood from Menelaus, Antiochus in 168 attempted to eliminate Jewish religion, which he saw to be at the heart of resistance to Hellenism. Temple ritual was stopped, the Scriptures ordered destroyed, observance of the Sabbath, festival days, food laws, and circumcision prohibited. A new altar, dedicated to Olympian Zeus, was erected in the Jerusalem temple, and a pig offered on it.” 0 likes