Start by marking “Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)” as Want to Read:
Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)

Peril at End House

(Hercule Poirot #8)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  28,928 ratings  ·  1,520 reviews
An Alternate Cover Edition of this ISBN can be found here.

Hercule Poirot is vacationing on the Cornish coast when he meets Nick Buckly. Nick is the young and reckless mistress of End House, an imposing structure perched on the rocky cliffs of St. Loo.

Poirot has taken a particular interest in the young woman who has recently narrowly escaped a series of life-threatening acc
Published 2001 by HarperCollins (first published February 1932)

To ask other readers questions about Peril at End House, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brino Barbosa
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot #8), Agatha Christie
Peril at End House is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie first published in the US by the Dodd, Mead and Company in February 1932 and in the UK by the Collins Crime Club in March of the same year. The book features Christie's famous character Hercule Poirot, as well as Arthur Hastings and Chief Inspector Japp. Poirot and Hastings vacation in Cornwall, meeting young Magdala "Nick" Buckley and her friends. He is persuaded that some
Adrian
A comprehensive 4 (+) star book with Poirot at his enigmatic best.

More to follow in the morning

Well ok, its the afternoon here in the UK. So, yes 4.5 stars for certain, Poirot at his superior best and Hastings playing the foil to a "T". Following the denouement, I did remember it (Bloody obvious that really) but I still hadn't got it with about 15 pages to go, and that is what reading a good "murder mystery" is all about. As one of my author friends says "keep 'em guessing till the end" and she
James
Peril at End House, the eighth book in the Hercule Poirot cozy mystery series, was selected as the next book to read in the April 2018 Agatha Christie Readathon that I'm hosting on my blog at This Is My Truth Now. Four weeks of books from all her different series and lots of fun with her canon. I'm really glad this book won the poll as I hadn't read it before. And who wouldn't love a book with a title containing the words 'peril' and 'end' ?

Poirot has never been more sarcastic and witty than in
Phrynne
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
I always enjoy a nice Agatha Christie book. She can be relied upon to be entertaining and a bit tricky.

Peril at End House is normal Hercule Poirot fare. The characters are mostly English upper class, the setting is an English country house and Poirot gently mocks nearly everyone. Interestingly even he seems to be initially confused by the situation as a murder actually takes place on his watch. Of course eventually he comes to grip with the proceedings and displays the murderer to great effect
Sanjay Gautam
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked it up at random, and was wondering if I would get to read a decent mystery novel; I wasn't left disappointed. Agatha Christie can weave a mystery out of anything, I guess. She creates an atmosphere of certain mystery and unease that pulls all your attention and creates a craving to know more, thereby getting you hooked without letting you know .

This one got me hooked from the first chapter. Until I finished. The solution is ingenious, and unprecedented.

Recommended.
Carol  ꧁꧂
Some books don't stand up to rereading. This is one of them.

The characters are mostly a bit ridiculous (including Poirot's faithful sidekick, Hastings) & too many of them are very shady.

There are too many coincidences.

The crimes are too unlikely.

Lastly not (view spoiler)

Poor show Christie - dashed poor show!
Araz Goran

حتى تعرف لغز هذه الرواية عليك أن تركز في بداية الرواية، أن تستخدم خلايا دماغك الرمادية كما يقول بوارو دائماً.. القصة محيرة هنا ومتشابكة وحتى الجريمة غير مفهومة الهدف تماماً، تشويق كبير حملته هذه الرواية وكانت الشخصيات الكثيرة في الرواية هي بمثابة مصيدة لبوارو والقارئ حيث ما أن تشك في أحدهم حتى تعود إلى نقطة الصفر..
كما أنها ليست كالجرائم المعتادة التي تعتمد على مسرح وسلاح الجريمة، بل يتعلق حلها بمدى ربط الأحداث ومعرفة الهدف وراء الجريمة بالإساس..

الحمدلله منذ البداية كنت شكي واضحاً في هوية المجرم
Kirstine
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it

The best Agatha Christie novel I've read in a long time. Not simply because the mystery is so deliciously confusing and leaves Poirot 50 different shades of puzzled, not because we get to see a much more human and emotional Poirot, but very much because it has such a dazzling cast of characters, and reminded me more than anything of Paris in the 1920's.

I was reading this and I really wanted to see the adaption of it on the big screen, because I had these great images in my head. Especially our
Mahdi Lotfi
از متن کتاب:
به نظر من هیچ شهری در جنوب انگلستان در زیبایی به پای سنت لو نمی رسد. به حق آن را ملکه شهرهای ساحلی نامیده اند که آدمی را سخت به یاد ریویرا می اندازد. هر گوشه این ساحل کورنوالی به اعتقاد من جذابیتی چون سواحب جنوب فرانسه دارد.
این ها را به دوستم هرکول پوآرو هم گفتم.
- در صورت غذای رستوران قطار هم دیروز همین را نوشته بودند، دوست من. حرفهایت چندان هم تازه نیست.
- نظری غیر از این داری؟
داشت برای خودش لبخند می زد و بلافاصله جوابم را نداد. باز پرسیدم.
- خیلی باید ببخشی هستینگز. حواسم جای دیگری ب
Piyangie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is getting better and better. Agatha Christie's brilliancy in creating intriguing murder mystery plots is yet again displayed here. The final plot twist left me stunned. I didn't expect it at all!

Interestingly, here the great Hercule Poirot is a little baffled with the circumstances surrounding the mystery. For the first time Christie shows that after all Poirot is human too, though a very clever one. Nevertheless with so many tangled facts at hands, and after going a little astray,
Nikoleta
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Στην μέση του βιβλίου υποψιαζόμουν ότι τον ένοχο τον βρήκα.
Λίγο πριν το τέλος ξεφώνιζα σίγουρη ότι τον βρήκα!
Λίγο μετά, μπερδεύτηκα!
Έπετα απο λίγο ξανατσίριζα ότι τον βρήκα!
Τελικά… δεν… τον βρήκα…
Α, ρε Αγκάθα… Παίζεις με το μυαλό μου.
Vikas Singh
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A leisurely read because the story line itself moves at a leisurely pace. There are few customary murder attempts and a murder but the plot is not gripping. Unlike other Christie plots you get a good idea of who the real killer is and so it spoils the climax. There are cross references to other Poirot's exploits and hence is best read after Poirot's previous stories have been read. Overall an average read
Madeline
Oct 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Bless my library and its sporadically reliable audiobook collection. I might be in the third month of waiting for my turn to download The Glass Castle, but at least I can always count on there being at least one Agatha Christie mystery to tide me over while I wait.

I chose Peril at End House because its premise sounded the most promising: while on vacation on the coast of England, Hercule Poirot meets Magdala “Nick” Buckly, an heiress who’s had a handful of miraculous and suspicious brushes with
Nandakishore Varma
Another Christie reread. Hercule Poirot is vacationing on the Cornish coast. He has been rejoined by Captain Hastings who is temporarily back from his farm in Argentina. Poirot, even though he has stopped growing vegetable marrows(see The Murder of Roger Ackroyd), insists that he is still retired - he even refuses a government commission, much to Hastings's indignation. However, it seems murder will not leave him alone...

Magdala ("Nick") Buckley, the owner of End House, is in trouble. Somebody i
Hannah
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars - Great book

There's a reason Agatha Christie is dubbed the Queen of Mystery and this book shows readers why. I had forgotten just how good a Christie mystery can be. It's fully of intrigue and questions, intellect and even a little humor. Even if mystery isn't your genre you should give Christie a try - her books may surprise you.

I don't have too much to say about this book other than it was just wonderful. It's a classic mystery and I couldn't ask for anything more. The writing is lovel
حماس

وكلما ظننتَ أنك ذكيًا
أتت أجاثا كريستي لتتلاعب بذكائك تلاعب القط بالفأر

وقت فى البداية في فخ الترجمة المعتاد إذ تحور العنوان من "خطر فى البيت الأخير" إلى
"بيت الرعب"

ثم إذا بالرواية على غير ما يوحي العنوان تمامًا

فإذا غضينا البصر عن صدمة العنوان الأولى
فقد استمتعت بالرواية كثيرًا، وإن أصابنى الملل فى البداية
فكل الأبطال بها يثرثرون ولا شىء سوى الثرثرة ثم مزيد منها

والنهاية لا داعى لترديد نفس الجملة فى كل روايات أجاثا، فهى دائمًا مبتكرة وعلى غير ما يتوقع القارئ تمامًا

ملحوظة: فيما يلي حرق لأحداث الرواية

(v
Victoria
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I almost never rate a Christie book lower than 4 stars, because I just love her writing. I won't go as far as saying she's the best writer in the history of the world, but she's a master of her genre and I always enjoy her books. They're such wonderful comfort food, enjoyable and untaxing to read but still with interesting and compelling stories that make you want to find out whodunnit.

However I find Peril at End House is one of her less enjoyable books. I can't explain why. Maybe it's because I
Dina
Ali Alghanim
أربعة عناوين لقصص مختلفة، يحتويها الكتاب:

١_ الصواريخ.
٢- الجريمة الكاملة.
٣- لعبة الموت.
٤- صندوق الشيكولاتة.

كل منها مختلف الإسلوب و الحبكة .. أجاثا البارعة في جعلك مشدودا، حائرا ، شاكا في الجميع!
Roman Clodia
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite Poirot mysteries as even the man himself is stumped for much of the time. Christie, as usual, is scrupulous with her clues which are there in plain sight (view spoiler), and there are red herrings in the 'bright young things' cast and opportunities for Hastings to radically misjudge everything! A slick plot and final solution, too.
BrokenTune
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Peril at End House was a great mystery to follow. It did not pretended to be anything than a straight forward murder mystery. There was hardly any social commentary - and none of which I remember to be dubious (well, not as dubious as some of Dame Agatha's other ones), and I did not guess the murderer until the very end. It also had some of the delightful conversations where Poirot pokes fun at Hastings - either about his understanding of women or his admiration for the capabilities of English s ...more
imts
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."
"An admirable exercise, my friend. Continue it."

One of the best of the Poirot cases, to be honest. That ending was so not what I expected. (Is it ever any other way with Agatha Christie?)
عَـدن
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ما ان أقرأ رواية لأجاثا وأقول انها أفضل ما كتبت على الاطلاق حتى تأتيني رواية أخرى لتصدمني وتبين لي أن عبقرية هذه الروائية تعدت عقول الكثير من المفكرين, ولا أبالغ أبدا في ما قلت :).

ستقول وأنت تقرأ رواياتها أن المجرم هو أبعد الأشخاص عن الجريمة, ذالك الذي لا توجد أي اشارة تدل على أنه هو القاتل, أو أن هناك دليلا صغيرا مخفياً, هكذا ستقول لأن الروايات البوليسية غالباً ما تكون هكذا, ولكنها أغاثا يا عزيزي, حتى لو حاولت أن تفكر خارج الصندوق, فستأتي هي وتبين لك أنك ما زلت تفكر فيه!!

تتحدث الرواية عن مادج,
Cyndi
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
End House looks like a haunted house, after all an old man the kids called Satan lived there. But, now his vivacious young niece is the owner. She’s done some improving inside the money pit.
Meanwhile someone is trying to kill her. Why? Enter Poirot. He will find the answers and stop her murder. But who will be sacrificed?
A good mystery, but since I figured it out early I’m not as impressed as I usually am at Agatha Christie’s twists. How cynical is that? Hahah!
Huda Aweys
بوارو العجوز المسكين ، حين تستخدمه و تسّيره بنت (شيطانية) صغيرة ، لتحقيق هدفها الإجرامي
!
متى ؟ .. و كيف ؟ .. سينتبه بوارو إلى خدعتها ؟
كالعادة رواية مثيرة من روايات اجاثا كريستي ، و بطلها (بوارو) المحقق الخاص ، البلجيكي الأصل
...
David Schaafsma
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Evil never goes unpunished, Monsieur. But the punishment is sometimes secret.”
― Agatha Christie, Peril at End House

#8 of 39 completed!

While on holiday in Cornwall, the elderly Belgian detective who just can’t seem to retire, Hercule Poirot, meets flapper Nick Buckley, who has recently survived three near-fatal mishaps, including just narrowly being missed by a falling boulder, having her brakes fail, and having a heavy painting fall on her bed, and when they are discussing these occurrences,
Amber Tucker
I caught only vague snatches of Poirot, televised versions, during my formative years. My parents, once in a while, pulled out their dusty videotapes with David Suchet; I knew the impressively-mustached face, was familiar with the smug French accent so naturally belonging to it. Until now, unfortunately, I'd never read any of Agatha Christie's Poirot. I was loyal to Sherlock Holmes, or so I thought. I had no idea what I was missing. Make no mistake, I still adore Holmes, but I also find I'm deli ...more
Lucie
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admit that I picked this one up as my next Christie because it was set in Cornwall, I sure wasn't disappointed. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time, because of the whole "will it? won't it?" situation and I thought that the resolution was brilliant. I'm also glad I hadn't read from Hastings' point of view in a while, he can be so annoying haha. Another great mystery by Agatha Christie!
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Episode 1: Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot is on holiday in Cornwall when a bullet lands at his feet at the Majestic Hotel...

Episode 2: Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings attend Maggie Buckley's dinner party and make a startling discovery.

Episode 3: Hercule Poirot discovers the identity of the body - and then turns his attention to some old letters.

Episode 4: Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings head to London to meet up with Chief Inspector Japp.

Episode 5: He
Kavita
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, uk
This one was very enjoyable. Poirot is on holiday (poor chap - never took a holiday that didn't turn into work for him!) and he comes across a vivacious young girl who has several attempts made on her life. Poirot steps into the scene but someone gets murdered by mistake. Eventually, the truth comes to light but not before a number of red herrings. The investigation gets more confused because there is a forgery as well.

The plot was great and so were the characters. But what I really enjoyed was
  • Died in the Wool (Roderick Alleyn, #13)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #3)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Case Of The Borrowed Brunette
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)
“Poirot," I said. "I have been thinking."
"An admirable exercise my friend. Continue it.”
1077 likes