Start by marking “Selected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Selected Short Stories

Selected Short Stories

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
At the time of his death at the age of 93, P.G. Wodehouse was at work on his 97th novel. This unique writer of social comedy, with his outlandish humor and sharp caricatures of English types, was born in 1881 in Guildford, England. In novels and short stories, he created such memorable characters as Psmith and Jeeves, the archetypical Edwardian drone and his butler.

The uni

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published July 1st 1983 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Short Stories

Hande
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Love it... absolute classic. The language is so English and so old school - wonderful. The book itself is one I bought from Robert College discarded books sale. It may even be one of the original editions :)

We used to have Jeeves and Wooster TV series dubbed in Turkish when I was in my teens and TRT Radio 2 used to broadcast the original English. So i'd be sat with my family with my headphones on listening to it in English. It must have been then that I bought the book! Long-winded story, but t
J. Alfred
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I recommend other people to a certain author, with a pious understanding that I am bettering their life in some way. I recommended Wodehouse to my grandmom yesterday fully consious that I was putting her life in danger: she's an older lady, and Wodehouse had me laughing so hard I was gasping for breath. She might literally split her sides. In any case, this man is hysterical, wrote about a hundred books, and his first name is Plum. What's not to like?
Special review love for Peter, who
Castalia
Aug 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Terrific collection of Plummy stories, with a charming forward from the author himself. A good collection to have, especially for "Clustering Round Young Bingo" and "Bertie Changes His Mind", the latter being the only time Jeeves narrates the story instead of Bertie. However, I'd advise skipping the introduction by John W. Aldridge (who gets some facts wrong, despite being a fan), most certainly if you are a fan of Bertie and don't wish to see him insulted too much.
Scilla
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it
These are some of Wodehouse's earlier stories. They are unrelated and the characters are different. They all are amusing courting stories. In one a man sees a woman; follows her to her home; rents the studio upstairs; and then bangs on the floor when she is practicing her piano in order to meet her. In another, his friends arrange for a lousy golfer to win the club championship.
Soren
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
These are terrific stories to read individually, or at most two at a time. Other than that, it gets to be like a TV show marathon: the enjoyment of the cleverness wears off and is replaced by irritation at the repetitiveness.
gregory
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love these stories of jeeves
Denise Kuntz
These are very good and funny short stories that I highly recommend reading or listening to! I will surely read more by P.G. Wodehouse! I have also enjoyed My Man Jeeve's.
Eric Cartier
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jolly good fun Jeeves/Bertie Wooster stories, what?
Steph Granillo
Oct 12, 2015
Kelly
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
P.G. Wodehouse is brilliant. I loved every word of this book.
Elizabeth
Wendy
Feb 12, 2012
Brooke Snow
Jul 31, 2009
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse