Start by marking “A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)” as Want to Read:
A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)

A Boy and His Dragon

(Being(s) in Love #2)

A Being(s) in Love Story

Arthur MacArthur needs a job, and not just for the money. Before he dropped out of school to support his younger sister, he loved being a research assistant at the university. But working for a dragon, one of the rarest and least understood magical beings, has unforeseen complications. While Arthur may be the only applicant who isn’t afraid of Philb
Published January 4th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy and His Dragon, please sign up.
Nana If I'm not mistaken, it's inside The Firebird and Other Stories
(Being(s) in Love #5)…more
If I'm not mistaken, it's inside The Firebird and Other Stories
(Being(s) in Love #5)(less)

Start your review of A Boy and His Dragon (Beings in Love #2)
Icedave
Update 27.01.2013
Rating, Content&Reading / constricted settings, Further Reviews

Rating:
4.33 stars.
4.67 stars.

Genre:
Sweet, slow, and calm fantasy m-m-romance novel with endearing (main) characters.

Content Advisory:
Even if one of the main character is a shape shifting dragon:

This romance is not for readers looking for action, lot of smut, lots of shifting, lot of plot time with characters in shifted form, evil villains, main characters saving the world, instant and/or destined mates, etc.

...
Vio
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Mandy, Ice, Kitty
Just adorable, Bertie is a sweetheart, how can you not fall in love with him, the darling is a delightful scatterbrain. Arthur gets his dragon in the end and they compliment each other wonderfully. A lovely feel good story and so cute. Loved the dragon storyline and their history an interesting take on a fairytale romance. Ice's review says it all so lovingly. Recommended, a fun story.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
4.4*
Wow, I really liked this story, and I liked it better than the first in the series, but they are totally stand alone.
Dr Philbert Jones needs an assistant, desperately, the man umm..I mean dragon, might be brilliant, but he leaves notes in books, leaves those books wherever, has nothing organized and has so many valuable things he even loses them in his own house. He won't get his book done without some serious help.
Arthur MacArthur is in financial straits, so he jumps at the chance to be 'Be
M.I.A
*4 Stars*
Such a precious story *gush-worthy*

I'm in love with the alternate universe R. Cooper has created.
A world where magical beings have come out to the humans, but still remain an enigma. Where legends and misconceptions exist, leading to a lot of misunderstanding due to a lack of information being shared by many of the beings on their true nature.

Dr. Philbert Jones AKA Bertie the dragon is the most lovable character EVER. He's a little bit of everything, but for the most part he has this
Tiya Rosa
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
You know that thing where you're talking to a friend about, say, Eddie Izzard's "Do you have a flag?" bit and you're all laughing and appreciating the genius that is your imaginary boyfriend and there was a slight pause in the conversation as your friend sips her coffee or takes a breath and you keep on thinking about Izzard and his drag days and you remember your drag queen cousin is coming for the party next week and he said he's bringing his new puppy and you're worried how you're gonna keep ...more
Tanu Gill
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh.My.God!!!!!! I LOVED Arthur and Phil!! Such a sweeeeeet story it was! It is definitely going on my to be re-read shelf!! I could read it possibly 4-5 times more!!!!!! I am absolutely giddy after reading it!!! Eeeeeeeeepppp!!
ttg
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews, m-m
This started as a cute story for me, but ultimately turned into a very frustrating read.

What I liked: I like Cooper’s modern world with magic mixed in--a world like ours, but “Beings” like werewolves and fairies and dragons exist and live and work among people (and are “out” and known to the world.) It’s fun and imaginative, and it’s a nice added twist when the academic writer is an ancient dragon with treasures hidden around his house (in between all his dusty books and research notes.)

The char
Mandapanda
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
4.25 stars. I love this delicious slow-burn paranormal romance about struggling, pure-of-heart Arthur McArthur and the powerful and flirtatious dragon-shifter, Dr Philbert Jones. The attraction crackles across the pages as the two MC's navigate their misconceptions, mistrust and feverish imaginings to find out what a dragon's treasure really is. The two guys don't get together until about 80% but it's fierce and erotic when they do. I love the intense way this author writes and I think her style ...more
Emma Sea
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, shifter
Felt like a bit of a slog. Interesting idea, and I liked the last 15% of the story, but overall too much organising of books and exchanging of cryptic comments/meaningful looks.

Possibly not my book.

EDIT: Also, I'd steer you towards Tiya Rosa's review, as she has a similar opinion to mine about some aspects of the book, although overall she liked it more than I.
Heller
3.5

Bertie and Arthur are adorable. I loved them. This is definitely a slow burn romance and loaded with charm. Loved the concept and the characters. Any issues that I had have to be with Cooper's writing style. It just doesn't quite work for me in a way that I felt a bit detached from the storyline. Still, a wonderfully romantic tale about a boy and his dragon. Great title.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I’ve decided that when I read this series I need to just read and not think conventionally. I finished, wrote my review and then had a serious OMG moment. Duh. I really just read the book wrong. I think there are two ways to read this book.

I unfortunately was reading the book as a romance. And yes, it is, but it is not the kind I am used to and because of what my brain was thinking I totally missed the point. Here is what I wrote first.

I am totally torn by this. Part of me gets it, I really do.
Vivian
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-pn
Smoldering hot.

Bertie has got the slow burn down pat and poor Arthur is about to self-combust, and he's not alone. This is flirtation taken to the torture level; I think I held my breath for a good portion of the book.

Dear, precious Arthur. Bertie might be too considerate for such a shy soul, I know I wanted to bind them together until they finally resolved the tension. I had to be patient, which I despise, but eventually I was rewarded. Mercy.

This book requires hot chocolate and a good blankie
Maria
Slow paced and character driven. Most of the story takes place in the library of Bertie's home. Some of their conversations dragged a bit, or were a tad boring. Things start to heat up after 75% when Arthur finally opens himself up to Bertie. It is very sensual when Bertie and Arthur make love for the first and only time in this book. After, their sole focus is each other and it is staggering. My only niggle is that it could have come alot sooner.

A simple love story really, and memorable.
Ariadna
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
After being charmed by the screwball vibe of Some Kind of Magic, I was totes ready to dive back into the Beings in Love series.

Like many others, I was ready to enjoy the romance between a fearsome but noble dragon shifter and the human who was the dragon's literal treasure.

Unfortunately, the story was so deeply unsatisfying that I ended up doing a mental about-face after I finished it.

Bertie, the dragon, was OK. I had a difficult time feeling any kind of empathy toward Arthur. He was, simply pu
Vanessa North
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Audiobook review:

My rating is purely for the story--a sweet romance between a young man, Arthur, and his dragon-shifter boss. There was plenty of interspecies angst, and when they finally(view spoiler) got to the sexy times, there was definitely some bitey fun to be had there. I really enjoyed Cooper's worldbuilding and characters. I would recommend the book--in a readable format--to fans of bitingshifter stories and fairy tales.

That said: the narration was too
Meep
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
More sweet slow fairytale than a firey Dragon-fic. I loved this standalone 'Being' fic.

The characters are sweet and I really liked the description of the dragon Bertie in his human form with scales shining like moonlight beneath the surface, also a dragon called Bertie!

Nothing really happens in the fic so don't pick this up hoping for excitement or you'll be disappointed. Basically there's house clearing, some sickness and protectiveness then at long last some sex and snuggles. It works in the w
Lori
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet story with almost no angst. It rambled on some and was a little boring but it was written much better than the first book in the series. It was almost as if a different writer had written it. There was a very clear voice for each character and you knew who was speaking and wasn't as confusing either.

I would've liked an epilogue to find out what happened after the MCs got together like: did Arthur and his sister move in with the dragon, did Arthur go back to school, did his siste
Kaje Harper
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is very slow-burn, mixed with confusion and self-doubt, to the nth degree. And it's still a really cute, sweet story of a nerdy research assistant hired by an untidy scholarly dragon to work on the dragon's book. Arthur the human's lack of self-worth is mostly sweet, Bertie the dragon's possessiveness and yet inability to speak his mind is hot and cute, and the story worked for me. One long, drawn-out talk to each other already! story, but with the human/dragon cultural differences there wa ...more
Camille
3.4

It was like a Hugh Grant film: at times pleasing, at times funny and charming, at times the bumbling hesitance striking just the right tone, at times the bumbling hesitance dragging out much too long, at times too much going unsaid, at times too much being said but it being ramblings about unimportant things that seemingly have deeper meaning, at times somewhat romantic and sexy, always just short of fully satisfying.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Interesting, imaginative, and different, there is, nonetheless, something just off about R. Cooper's writing. I really liked the characters, and I enjoyed the uniqueness of the lore Cooper crafted, but the narrative wasn't something I could easily immerse myself in. ...more
Heidi Cullinan
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn this book is just what I needed. Will reread again very soon. <3
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

When I decided to review this book, I didn't realize that it was the sequel to R Cooper's Some Kind of Magic. I had intended to read that book at some point, but even though I got it when it was released I never read it. This book seemed more interesting to me, however, because of the dragon. I love dragon shifters and I can't stay away from any book that looks like it might have one. So I decided to read both of these books, and as it turned out, I ended up
Feliz
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Feliz by: Wave
What a beautiful fairytale...
This book is set in the same universe as Some Kind of Magic by R. Cooper However, while the outside world played a big role in Some Kind of Magic, this book mostly takes place inside Bertie's house, thus the world itself only stays in the background.

Still, both Bertie and Arthur are very much children of their world. They were both fascinating characters. (once I'd gotten over being bemused about a dragon called "Bertie")
I loved this take on the "dragon and virgin" theme. Bertie was a total
leigh
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge, owned-dsp
4.5 stars.

Whimsical shifter/human story that beautifully succeeds at characterization and romance.

Bertie the dragon is gorgeously described and his personality in human form embodies all the legends of his mythical species. He is charismatic, charming, disorganized, possessive, and hopelessly susceptible to the innocent allure of his assistant, Arthur. Arthur is human, heroic, flawed, and protective. For his dependent sister's sake, he needs to make a success of his job while struggling with his
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
That was very good. I loved watching Bertie taking care of Arthur. He did it in such a way that didn't overwhelm nor did it bruise Arthur's pride. It was beautiful to watch. The UST almost killed me. I was ready for Bertie to throw Arthur down onto the nearest flat surface for some serious ravaging. ...more
Sofia
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sofia by: Rosa, really

I like Ms Cooper's style, the fugue she creates, the bombardment of words, thoughts that she surrounds me with. I love her shorts, most of them work for me. This one was my first of her long ones. I like her characters, the story but I did get a bit lost in the fog, maybe I spent to long in it. I wonder if I would have liked it more if it had been shorter.

Phaney
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oh-yes, m-m, shiny
2015 Re-read:

This story is magical.
And I love every little bit of it.

And there is so much more to say but I am too overwhelmed to even attempt it. Besides, I seem to remember that I went into enough, blissed-out detail last time around.

All I need to do, now, is to hunt down that free, short follow-up from Bertie’s viewpoint which the author wrote and which I mysteriously failed to copy for preservation purposes. <3

2013 Review:

This is one of those books that I wish wouldn’t end. To my great pleas
Meags
3.5 Stars

This was a fun and original supernatural tale, set in an AU version of our modern world, where the presence of Beings has long since been revealed to, and (mostly) accepted by humans.

The story sees young, bright and financially troubled Arthur MacArthur, taking on a new job as the personal assistant to the intellectually brilliant and flirty dragon-shifter, Dr Philbert Jones. Bertie is a renowned historian. He’s also immensely disorganised when it comes to the order and state of his hom
Gabi

"A dragon without a treasure was weaker than one with all the gold in the earth.”

"They (dragons) often have a “type” when it comes to human lovers (Bold of purpose, fair of face, pure of heart.)"

I enjoyed this novel, but I have to get used to the writing style. There is lots of internal monologuing during dialogue, which made me forget what they were talking about, frustratingly I had to go back a few pages to find out.

Also while I find the writing totally different from Anyta Sunday's,
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
This is almost romance in its purest form. And it is a gorgeous gorgeous love story.

Obviously, it has fantasy in it, seeing as it has the word "dragon" in its title. But this book is a slow, beautiful, gradual build up to a classic Happily Ever After. With dragons and all.

All of the world, the history of dragons across cultures, it all fascinated me. And I adored Bertie, especially with how much he adored Arthur. It was all just so *happy shudder* goddamn lovely. I adored this book to bits.

“L
The Backlot Gay B...: A Boy and His Dragon by R. Cooper 5 53 Jul 06, 2014 06:15PM
Dreamspinner Press: A Boy and His Dragon by R. Cooper 1 19 Jan 04, 2013 06:06PM

• Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Treasured
  • Dragon's Hoard
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • The Ransom of a Night Hunter
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Demons Do It Better (Hidden Species #1)
  • Cutie and the Beast (Fae Out of Water, #1)
  • Breath (Scales 'N' Spells #2)
  • Poisonwood (Poisonwood & Lyric #1)
  • The Engineer (Magic & Steam, #1)
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • A Game Most Dangerous
  • The Assassin's Dragon (Fire and Valor #3)
  • Jon's Boom Shaka Laka Problem (Jon’s Mysteries, #4)
  • The Enforcer Enigma (San Andreas Shifters, #3)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
I'm a somewhat absentminded, often distracted, writer of queer romance. I'm probably most known for the Being(s) in Love series and the occasional story about witches or firefighters in love. Also known as, "Ah, yes, the one with the dragons."

Feel free to friend me on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr.

Twitter: @rispacooper
Facebook: @thealmightyris
Tumblr: sweetfirebird.tumblr.com
Instagram: @riscoops
Boo

Being(s) in Love (10 books)
  • Some Kind of Magic (Beings in Love #1)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Wooing Your Mate (Beings in Love #3)
  • Little Wolf  (Beings in Love, #4)
  • The Firebird and Other Stories (Beings in Love, #5)
  • A Dandelion for Tulip (Beings in Love, #6)
  • Treasure for Treasure (Beings in Love, #7)
  • His Mossy Boy (Beings in Love, #8)
  • Sweet Clematis (Beings in Love #9)
  • The Tales of Two Seers (Beings in Love)