Start by marking “Why Mars and Venus Collide” as Want to Read:
Why Mars and Venus Collide

Why Mars and Venus Collide

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,030 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews

Once upon a time, Martians and Venusians functioned in separate worlds. But in today's hectic and career-oriented environment, relationships have become a lot more complicated, and men and women are experiencing unprecedented levels of stress. To add to the increasing tension, most men and women are also completely unaware that they are actually hardwired to react differen

Paperback, Large Print, 372 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by HarperLuxe (first published May 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Why Mars and Venus Collide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Mars and Venus Collide

Skylar Burris
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Synopsis: Men and women are different. In the event that you have already figured this out after several years of marriage, this book may yet give you some comfort in knowing you are not alone in your frustrations. "Why Mars and Venus Collide" did have some helpful advice. However, I think those helpful nuggets were already lodged in his early book, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus." (There appears to be some gratuitous repackaging going on here.)

I confess that while I was reading this
Razan Jambi
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل فعلا،،،كثيرا ما يتحدث عنه المؤلف هي المشكلات التي نسمعها مرارا وتكرارا في علاقتنا بالجنس الاخر
اكثر ما عجبني هو فكره ان تكون مسؤول عن سعادتك بنسبه ٩٠٪ بينما يساهم شريك حياتك في سعادتك بنسبه ١٠٪
اتضح لي ان العلاقات الشخصيه لا تؤخذ كشيء مضمون اي انها متى ما صلحت في بدايتها فهذا يعني انها ستصلح مدى الحياه بالضروره بل يجب العمل عليها دائما لتنميتها وتقويتها ولتكون مصدر سعاده لنا في حياتنا لفترات طويله
Jacqueline Williams
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very validating book, and an incredibly fast read. Explains how men and women deal with stress, with real-life examples that ring so true. Talks about the BIOLOGICAL and biochemical differences between men and women, and for me, learning that some things are biological changes my perspecive a lot. Here are some excerpts I liked from the book:

"Being aware of our innate biochemical differences frees us from the unhealthy compulsion to change our partners and eventually leads us to celebrate our
Ashley Mcphee
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
While I found this book immensely helpful in understanding my partner better and learning to adjust my expectations, I also found the book to be slightly sexist.

The author also makes frequent allusions to religion/spirituality and seeking out a therapist as important tools without acknowledging that for some people these are not options or priorities.

The book makes many references to research about the brain, hormones, and evolution, which makes it seem very credible. I found the sections part
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book makes a compelling point for becoming a lesbian ... or a man. Women can do and think about more than one thing at a time and men can only do one thing at a time and need to be told what needs to be done - which would you rather have for a partner? Women should lower their expectations of the men in their lives, so as not to be disappointed by them.

There is some truth in this book, hence the 2 stars instead of 1, but I still don't like it.

Partially because I'm not a stereotypical woman,
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was the first book I've ever read by John Gray, and I only picked it because my library's e-book selection is limited and there wasn't much available to check out in the Relationship genre. This book does have some helpful communication techniques that might be worth trying if your marriage is in deep trouble, but I did take issue with some of it...

Gray strives to explain the hormonal differences between men and women and how these differences cause wildly different behaviors and attitudes.
Mohammed Esam
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
احترت اديله 4/5 ولا 5/5 .. الكتاب رائع وعملي ومفيد جداً جداً ، والكتاب أكثر إمتاعاً وأقل تكراراً ومللاً من "الرجال من المريخ والنساء من الزهرة" .. لولا الفصل الأخير - العاشر - كان استحق ال 5 بجدارة

عموماً هو من الكتب القليلة اللي ناوي أقرأه تاني وتالت إن شاء الله
Actually marking this book as "read" is a total lie. Very rarely do I not finish a book and up until now I have never thrown a book across the room in a display of displeasure and frustration. This book infuriated me. A very close friend of mine recommended the book to me and swore up and down that it truly helped her with her relationships. I could only read the first two chapters before I threw the book across the room and decided enough was enough. The author's views are extremely esoteric, s ...more
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
John Gray's books still hold lots of ideas about sex roles that I don't relate to, or am somewhat uncomfortable with, but this title seems to carry some scientific thoughts on the different ways that men and women handle stress that can lead to misunderstandings. But I'm guessing that no matter how many books I read about male-female relationships, they will continue to baffle me :-)
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy John Gray. He is my favorite author and teacher on relationships. By learning the differences between men and women , it is so much easier to keep a healthy relationship. this book is about how men and women act differently to every day stress. I have most of his books and never been dissapointed. He is great.
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best! I feel so much happier and less stressed!!! Jared has seen and benefitted from the dramatic lessons I've learned that are contained in this magic book :) I have a little bit left to go, but as soon as I'm done I think he will read it too.
Veronica Athanasiou
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Answers how to get over the difference in mentality between men and women as it is explained by their hormones. Nothing can beat explanations based on human physiology.
Amina Al motery
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amor-marriage
very helpful book to understand how both man & woman deal with stress and then collide, in addition of the tips to bring peace at home through communication & well chosen words
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zianab Almomen
Recommended to Fatimah by: Fatimah Almomen
رغم أني قَرأته بتثاقل واضح , إلا انه مفيد حقا
يجيب على الشباب قراءته قبل الزواج و بعد الزواج ..

سأعيد قرآءته يوما من الأيام
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The cover have explained its content approriately I must say. Just to make it clear, Mars in the title refers to men while Venus refers to women, therefore, the title itself is self-explanatory. Why do men and women fight? Its focus, romantic relationship between these two.

It starts by explaining about different hormones that make men and women feel good. Different hormones ---> different needs = different train of thoughts = different ways to cope with stress. I don't know if the h
أحمد حلمي
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
تحسين العلاقات من خلال فهم الاستجابات المختلفة..
قبول الأختلافات بيننا فمن شأنه ان ينير علاقتنا على الفور،فالعديد من الأزواج يشعرون بهذا الثقل في حياتهم لأنهم مقتنعون بضرورة التضحية بأنفسهم لإرضاء شركاء حياتهم..وهو موقف نحتاج إلي تغييره.
/ 265صفحة
الضغوط غير المسبوقة التى يتعرض لها الرجال والنساء تتغذي على العلاقة الرومانسية سواء كان المرء غير مرتبط او ملتزم في علاقة،ومن ثم الطبيعي ان يواجه الرجال والنساء بعض التحديات والصعوبات فى علاقاتهم.
وفهم طبيعة مستويات الضغوط المتزايدة والتكيف معها
وحلها بدلا
Thomas Hettich
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: Alvin Cheong
Shelves: 2012, 2013
I received this book as a goodbye present from the SEA Client Development team and the, then, newly established SEA GFO team at UBS Singapore. Actually I think Alvin picked out the book as he knew of my struggles since moving to Singapore and that not all reasons why I was to embark on a geographic and industry move (into non-profit) were professional. Also, he was just about to get married himself and might have consulted this book in the weeks and months before ;-)

Since 2012 I have become good
Ahmed Hussein
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب لماذا يتصادم المريخ والزهرة للكاتب المشهور جون غراى صاحب الكتاب الاشهر فى مناقشة الفروق الجوهرية بين الرجال والنساء " الرجال من المريخ والنساء من الزهرة" الصادر سنة 1992 وبيع منه اكتر من 50 مليون نسخة بتقرير لسنة 1997
الكتاب اصدار سنة 2007 وركز فيه الكاتب على نقطة الضغوط الحياتية وشرح وتفهيم الاستجابات المختلفة للرجال والنساء ازائها حتى يتفهم كل طرف الاخر ويمروا بسلام فى ضغوطات الحياة

Ahmed M. Abed
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كعادة جون جراي في كتبه يقدم لنا في هذا الكتاب فهم أعمق ومفصل بشكل أكبر للعلاقة بين المريخ والزهرة، الكتاب من وجهة نظري يحتوي على كم كبير من المعلومات والمفاهيم والتوجيهات التي تفصل وتشرح العلاقة بين الجنسين.
قراءة الكتاب لمرة واحدة لا تكفي، لأنه من المستحيل الإلمام بجميع الأفكار من مرة واحدة، خلال قراءة الكتاب ستجد أسباب العديد من الإختلافات والصدامات بين المريخ والزهرة، ستفهم طريقة تفكير الآخر وكيفية التعامل معه.

لعل هذا الكتاب وكتاب الرجال من المريح والنساء من الزهرة من الكتب التي يجب أن تقرأ مر
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but was overall pretty disappointed. In the beginning, the author introduced his main point many times without actually getting to what his main point was. When he actually got to his main point, the rest of the book seemed to be just a repetition of the same thoughts with various sentence structures. There were some really great ideas, but overall, the book was disappointing.
Tammy Frew
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
this was the first time ever when I finished one of the Mars Venus books this particular book was very beneficial was identifying how the male and female minds work and what happens when they Clash offers tools to help bring conflict resolution to a minimum allowing for better understanding of how the other person thinks
Diana Sepulveda
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Este es un libro ya viejito y muchas de las cosas en las que se basa, están siendo reevaluadas ya, pero eso no quiere decir que no se pueda sacar algo bueno de él.
Las metáforas son algo importante y la de Marte y Venus se me ha hecho bien entretenida.
Así que si quieren pensar algunas cosas sobre la relación de pareja y el manejo del estrés pueden echarle un vistazo!
Batool Boland
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب لماذا يتصادم المريخ والزهره كتاب رائع جدا يوضح نقاط الاختلاف بين الرجل والمراه وما يسببه هذا الاختلاف من تصادم وسوء فهم .. يحتوي الكتاب معلومات علميه جميل واملثه عامة عن مواقف التصادم وطريقة تحليل وتصرف كل الطرفين في التعامل مع الموقف.
Muhammad Nasr
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2017
حلقة جديدة من حلقات الاختلاف بين الرجل والمرأة، وكيف يرى كل طرف نفسه وكيف يرى الآخر في أي علاقة سواء كانت أسرية أو زوجية.
الكتاب يتناول واحد من أهم المواضيع والتي يغفلها العديد من الأزواج والمحبين، وهو كيف يمكن للحب أن يسهل كل شئ.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
such a sexist book! there is nothing worth reading it!
Dec 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It took me a long time to wade through this but it wasn’t due to the content. It was very interesting and I learned from it. The problem with non-fiction is there’s not much plot to draw you in. ;)

There’s no need to read John Gray’s first book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus before reading this one but it does explain the whole “Martian” and “Venusian” concept. There’s only a little repetition between the two. This book actually scientifically explains some of the things mentioned in his
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone in a relationship
I have already recommended this book to many of my friends who are in relationships as this is a must read as all the things talked about in this book will pertain to your situation at one point or another.

Here is a review" The unprecedented levels of stress both men and women are experiencing is taking a toll on our romantic relationships. Whether single or in committed relationships, we are often too busy or too tired to sustain feelings of attraction, motivation, and affection. Everyday stre
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Due to biological differences between men and women, they react to stress differently. If both the sexes appreciate and understand this fact, they can reduce conflicts between them and strengthen their relationship. This is the theme of this book. The author then goes on to describe why men and women fight with each other and gives some tips on how to resolve such fights. The tips given are high on formality and rather mechanical. Not sure whether these can be effectively applied in every cultur ...more
Cik Aini
Gray reinforced the differences between men & women and how they need to understand, and connect to their spouse. It's a continuation from successful bestselling book, Men are from Mars, Women are From Venus. As much as I would like to rate this a 5-star, there's no fresh ideas here except in few chapters, since the formula/ideas had been introduced in his first book. But still, it's an indeed a good book.

I learnt about oxytoxin - hormone related to love. Women produce oxytoxin as a way of
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • Kiss That Frog!: 12 Great Ways to Turn Negatives into Positives in Your Life and Work
  • Bersyukur Saat Diuji
  • Biografi Muhammad bin Abdullah: Perjalanan Hidup Seorang Nabi
  • Unbinding the Heart: A Dose of Greek Wisdom, Generosity, and Unconditional Love
  • Why Kids Lie: How Parents Can Encourage Truthfulness
  • Toxic People: 10 Ways Of Dealing With People Who Make Your Life Miserable
  • Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage: America's Love Lab Experts Share Their Strategies for Strengthening Your Relationship
  • 1511H [KOMBAT]
  • Meditations to Change Your Brain
  • Why Men Don't Have a Clue and Women Always Need More Shoes: The Ultimate Guide to the Opposite Sex
  • Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
  • Harbrace College Handbook
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • The Journey from Abandonment to Healing: Turn the End of a Relationship into the Beginning of a New Life

John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
More about John Gray...

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99