Start by marking “Spike: A Dark Place” as Want to Read:
Spike: A Dark Place

Spike: A Dark Place

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9: Spike)

Fresh from his latest attempt to get Buffy to act on her feelings for him, Spike has fled to the dark side of the moon. His trip leads him to a group of dangerous demons and a rude awakening from his reverie, which in turn leads him on an unexpected adventure to . . . Sunnydale! Collecting Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike—A Dark Place #1–#5.
Published June 5th 2013 by Dark Horse (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spike

Start your review of Spike: A Dark Place
Calista
Seeing Spike sunbathing behind protected glass on the moon is worth the price of this comic. I think alien bugs is even too far for the Buffy verse, but if there can be demons, there can be aliens. So Spike goes to the moon. We meet a few interesting characters and we end up on Easter Island.

This is more cartoon than Buffy. It’s devolving into silliness. I guess Spike is the character to find the silliness. Spike is one of the best characters in the Buffy verse. So, it’s great he gets his own
Sesana
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
A decent enough miniseries. Really, there are two purposes to this book: to make money and to settle the alien bug question. It does both, decently enough, so I guess it does what it set out to do. The actual storyline itself isn't terribly interesting. But at least Spike speaks and acts recognizably like himself, and the the art makes him look like himself, which is enough for me to give it a pass. I just realized that I have low standards for side stories in tie-in comics.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I mean, I love Spike, but this was still a so-so for me. I wasn't interested in the story and the femme fatale Succubus character was cliche and one dimensional. I did find the bugs who were serving Spike and piloting the spaceship amusing though.
All Things Urban Fantasy
REVIEW COURTESY OF ALL THINGS URBAN FANTASY

I almost didn’t bother to read A DARK PLACE because I absolutely could not stand the whole Spike and the alien bugs plot line that first popped up in Season 8. I decided to give it a shot and, ugh, Spike’s still with his alien bug pals. Blah.

Call me weird, but I don’t want hardcore sci-fi in my Buffyverse. Every single panel in this collection seems to have either an alien or a spaceship in it and I hated every second of it. Even the surprise visit from
James DeSantis
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Spike goes to space because...why not!

Spike now has a bunch of bug like creatures following him around as he goes off to Space. When he lands on Mars (or something similar) he decides to live there. However, the bugs won't let him become too depressed and tell him to get up! Then demons/aliens attack and off we are to a new adventure.

Good: The art is solid, the bug army is entertaining, and Spike is funny as usual.

Bad: The story is just...there. The villains are weak. The love interest is
Ashley
One one hand, I feel like Gischler got a lot of things right, with Spike's characterization and the dialogue between characters. I think he even manages to make Spike's space bugs amusing. But this also felt like it was trying way too hard. I mean, you do a Spike miniseries, and this is what you come up with? Kind of weaksauce. But ultimately harmless.
Alex
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, buffy
It would have been nice if the Willow/Spike spin-offs could have assembled creative teams as strong as the Buffy S9 and Angel& Faith comics have managed to do, but it was also wishful thinking to believe that would have been possible. In the end this miniseries is just one of those comics that is produced just to keep things ticking over, "oh yeah, we can have a Spike miniseries to bridge the gap between x and y because... we can and it'll make a bit of money from Buffy completists, which ...more
Jessamyn Leigh
I'm not really here for the Buffyverse going to space or the almost-romantic subplot. But I am always here for Spike adventures, so this was pretty fun.
Valerie
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating 3.5 stars

I just jumped right into the on-going Spike graphic novels series with this one. Spike has always been one of my favorite characters in the Buffyverse. I have to say, jumping in mid-stream may not have worked in my favor on this one. I was kind of confused at the whole space ship and the bug-like creatures that seemed to worship Spike. I decided to just roll with it and take it for what it was.

The story arc itself was typical Buffyverse and worked well with Spike’s particular
Elia
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
I looooooove me some Spike. I was always a Spuffy, especially after watching Angel and now reading the season 9 comics and how much Angel SUCKS in comparison. Also, Buffy's wishy-washy whiny character is starting to annoy the crap out of me, so I was happy to be able to read something new that focuses only on my favorite guy from the entire Buffyverse.

Spoilers AHEAD! Do NOT Read if you have not read Buffy Season 9!!

This volume picks up where Season 9 Volume 2 of Buffy ends - with Spike back in
Kate M. Colby
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this as part of the Angel & Faith Season 9, Volume 2 Library Edition. Really enjoyed the deep dive into Spike's character, his ongoing feelings for Buffy, and especially his relationship with the bugs.
Claire
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This story occurs after Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 issue #10 or if you're reading the collections after Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9, volume 2: On Your Own.

Read the beginning of BtVS season 9 first to get all the relevant back story.
kory.
I love Spike, and the bugs aren't as annoying as I expected, but why waste so much story on Morgan?
Diamond
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Review posted on http://diamondlovestoread.blogspot.com

I am a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. When it comes to comics and graphic novels there is nothing that has monopolized my collection more than Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike, and Angel. I have all the Omnibus, Season 8, and Season 9. I have been a little behind with season 9 of Buffy but had read enough to understand this story of Spike in the timeline.
Spike is one of my favorite characters of Buffyverse. Even on the show, Marsters’
Anna
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
So, I did not realize that this comic was set during Season 9 of Buffy or that there even was a Season 9! I haven't quite caught up on 8 yet and this threw me into the deep end of things without any real clue what was happening. All I know is that Spike is somehow Captaining a spaceship to the dark side of the moon (literally) and in charge of his own army of buggy, alien minions. The artificial sun-room on the ship was awesome and Spike trying to drown himself in alcohol was definitely in ...more
Macha
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
3 going on 3 & 1/2 stars. this is a slight entry, designed to bridge a gap, and it shows a bit. should be a fine one, there's Spike in the spaceship with the bugs which is always fun, with his cheekbones intact (nice artwork) so bonus, gone all broody about his last encounter with the Slayer which is amusing (i mean, does this inevitably happen to everyone who takes up with Buffy?). there's this succubus that comes along, see, a Spike flashback, and a trip to Easter Island. and some insight ...more
Brandi Kutz
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spike: A Dark Place follows Spike, the vampire, to the dark side of the moon. After being dumped by his love interest, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike indulges in heavy drinking to cope. However, he seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time when he is forced to guide dangerous demons to an old temple that held powerful shards, which can open world-destroying hellmouths. Much of this story is Spike’s internal battles. He deals with the demons of his past, while also trying not to die at ...more
Anna
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Spike: A Dark Place finds Buffy’s favorite “frenemy”, Spike the vampire, moping about his failed attempt at a relationship with the Slayer aboard a spaceship with some robot insects, who feel they must “take steps” to help their master out of his dark state. This all eventually leads to both Spike and his crew of bug bots heading back to Sunnydale as prisoner of some other unsightly creatures who are looking for shards of a seed that will help them open a gate to their home…as well as another ...more
Nicole Field
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Not a lot happens in this mini series within season 9. Set between Buffy trade paperbacks 4 & 5, this is Spike's personal exploration after being turned away from Buffy -- yet again. Of course there are things happening around him with his bugs, his space ship and a new succubus character, but most of that sets a frame for what is going on for him internally.

There were no extra things from the writers at the end of this, no insights on the series or mini comics right at the end, though I did
Nick
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Wolf
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Spike! What more do I need to say? If you're a Buffy fan, and if you've been keeping up with season 8 and 9 in comic form, then you'll need to check out this stand-along Spike volume, which fits into the storyline just after volume #2 in Buffy season 9. (Got that? It makes sense once you're reading them). Spike is back, kicking butt when his own isn't being kicked, fighting icky monsters, flying around with bugs, pining for his favorite Slayer -- you know, same Spike, different day. Spike: A ...more
Jim C
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This trade paperback bridges the gap when Spike left Buffy in the middle of season 9 and him traveling to help Angel. This tells the story of Spike brooding over his departure from Buffy and how he accepts it and starts on the road of becoming himself.

The artwork was fine in this story and the story ties in nicely with the overall story arc. This was missing something. I believe it was the dialogue. The overall atmosphere was too gloomy and it did not have that overall Spike feeling. Another
Paige
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to say that Spike is one of my least favorite characters so how is that his standalone books is far and beyond way better than most of the Buffy volumes? Probably because he's mostly there to be a broody fun time and the Buffy books have to delve into real subjects and sometimes they get to weird or too uncomfortable. I don't know, but I genuinely had a good time reading this volume. I loved the bug guys and how everything turned out at Easter Island. I thought it did a good job ...more
Bradley
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad sequence, per se, but it left a lot to be desired. I'm gonna miss the bugs, I think. The whole story seemed kinda rushed and pointless except for two things: getting rid of his ride and making him face how he's lying to himself.
Max Ostrovsky
Spike with an army of Alien bugs and a space ship.
Why is it that Spike always get the army? Fun read and despite being so different and unexpected to the Buffy-verse, it still FEELS like the Buffy-Verse. Weird. It was fun.
torin_kylara
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tv-movie, indie-comic
The succubus storyline kinda came out of nowhere. Would be interested to see more from her in the future...
Lani
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great Spike story; I love the repeated touches of the theme.
Kelly
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Spike and the bugs! This one is so introspective, I just love it. Team Spike forever.
Sondra
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love to read

This comic is fun and it is for everyone who is a Buffy fan. Try it out. You’ll love it.
Abigail Pankau
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Spike stand-alone. Great to see things from his point of view for a bit to get more character arc for him. Nice complementary series to go with Buffy Season 9.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Angel & Faith: Family Reunion (Season 9, Volume 3)
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Core (Season 9, Volume 5)
  • Willow: Wonderland
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Season 9, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Welcome to the Team (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Season 9, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Guarded (Season 9, Volume 3)
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: On Your Own (Season 9, Volume 2)
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Season 9, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall (Season 9, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: I Wish (Season 10, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: New Rules (Season 10, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Love Dares You (Season 10, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Spread of Their Evil (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Pieces on the Ground (Season 10, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Old Demons (Season 10, Volume 4)
Victor Gischler is an American author of humorous crime fiction.
Gischler's debut novel Gun Monkeys was nominated for the Edgar Award, and his novel Shotgun Opera was an Anthony Award finalist. His work has been translated into Italian, French, Spanish and Japanese. He earned a Ph.D. in English at the University of Southern Mississippi. His fifth novel Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse was published in

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9: Spike (6 books)
  • Spike: A Dark Place (Part 1 of 5)
  • Spike: A Dark Place (Part 2 of 5)
  • Spike: A Dark Place (Part 3 of 5)
  • Spike: A Dark Place (Part 4 of 5)
  • Spike: A Dark Place (Part 5 of 5)