Start by marking “Troublesome Creek” as Want to Read:
Troublesome Creek

Troublesome Creek

(Troublesome Creek #1)

A charming historical novel set in the late 1800s. Born and raised in the hills of Kentucky, Laura "Copper" Grace loves the wilderness of her home in Troublesome Creek. But when her stepmother threatens to send her away to boarding school to become a lady, Copper faces the possibility of losing everything that is precious to her. Copper must come to terms with her family a ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Troublesome Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troublesome Creek

Amanda Tero
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I personally liked "Skip Rock Shallows" much better than this book. I enjoy Jan Watson's writing style -- and the way she tastefully weaves in details and historical tidbits throughout the story. But I think I just didn't like the overall storyline. There were also some things that made me a little uncomfortable, such as an old woman's superstition, a few mentions of "going further than kissing," and a scene with a camp meeting in which the preacher handled snakes (this was never directly resolv ...more
Shantelle
Amazing historical, draws you right in!
Joleen
Location: Hills of Kentucky
Characters:
Copper Brown: Main character, AKA Laura Grace Brown
Will and Grace Brown: father and step-mother
Willy and Danny: younger twin brothers
John Pelfrey: Childhood frienda intent on marrying Copper
Remy: Young albino girl hiding out from her father alone, trusted no one

I hadn’t realized when I chose this book that I had ever read a Jan Watson book before.
Darby Stouffer
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've tried to like Christian fiction. I really have. I feel that I'm too cynical for it, and the fault must surely lie with me. But then I read books like this, and I realize that while it partially may be my fault, that this is truly a woeful genre. Especially when romance is added. The "sparks" that must fly in order for a woman to love a man in these stories makes me angry. That's not what love is about. Nice? Sure, but not the be all and end all.
The random Scripture quotations are seemingly
Holly
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Freebie from kindle store. I really liked this book. Lots of nice descriptions of life in the 1800s. I will probably read the next in the series.
Leah
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Got this book from a friend. This was a bit of a tough read for me. i really didnt connect with the charators in the story, so was always putting the book down to read others.
Margaret Chind
It was not until about page 320 that I began to enjoy this book. Usually, I read Christian Fiction because of its uplifting reminders that you are not alone and that in the midst of struggle God prevails. Christian Fiction for me is usually my antidepressant... but it just was not working with this book. The book starts with Copper, a girl in her late teens and then flashes back to when her parents met and her mother died. It goes on to show her grow up practically over night to realize choices ...more
Sharon Huether
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Troublesome Creek was a wild place. Mountains, deep ravines, harsh weather, all witness by Will and Julia.
Three of their babies died, then with their fourth child, they were caught in a bad storm. Will and the baby survived, Julia did not.
Will asked Julia's sister to care for the baby in Troublesome Creek. Will and Grace had a family now two twin boys are added to the family.
Years passed, then Copper the daughter met a new Doctor in town. She fell in love and they married. Grace wanted the best
Victoria Bylin
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a different kind of read for me. It's set in the hills of eastern Kentucky and has a little bit of everything -- a young adult heroine, a touch of romance, drama, humor and a writing style that's both sparse and lyrical. I liked it alot! Looking forward to the other two books in the series.
Loraine
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the storyline and characters in this book, but found it rather slow moving overall. Also thought the romance between Copper and Dr. Corbett was rather rushed.
Nancy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked everything about this book, even the cover! I was impressed that this was Jan Watson’s first novel, since she doesn’t write like a novice. Perhaps it’s her nurse’s training that helped.

This story is set around the 1800s in a coal town in the Appalachian hills of Kentucky. I got a real feel for life there through Mrs. Watson’s well turned phrases and descriptive words. This is a clean, Christian historical fiction novel, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a really good book to read.
Tashawna
Wow, this was one of the most wonderful historical books I have read! It was a little like Janet Oke, but also different... it was real. One part was so sad I cried, others were funny, still others interesting and sweet. There was such a mixture of things in this book.

Troublesome Creek tells a story about a growing up young woman, Copper Brown. It tells of her life, of her growing up, and falling in love. Her struggles, and the struggles of others living in the country hills of Kentucky. Jan
Vickie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Troublesome Creek was a wonderful read. In parts of this book I felt my heart break with the tragedies that were described, other parts I bubbled up with laughter, and then I became involved in the sweet romances.

I was so impressed with Cooper's knowledge. She knew how to take care of herself and wanted to help others. She loved God and her family. She especially loved the mountains and didn't want to leave.

There was a lot of great research in this book about Kentucky in the 1800's. Some of the
Cathy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Copper Brown is a young woman torn. She would like nothing more than to stay the free spirit roaming the woods surrounding her family farm, but she is no longer a child and expectations are changing. Her stepmother wants to send her away to become a proper lady to increase her marriage prospects, her best friend John wants to change their relationship, and her Daddy wants to allow her to make up her own mind with no pressure. This historic novel set in the late 1800s is well written and an enjoy ...more
GJ S
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good clean christian historical novel

I loved the story of Coppers life and the family and friends . I had all ready read the extended series connected to them later on. But when I found out the first series was available I had to read it even if it was going back. I hated for it to end. Wonderful godly series. I recommend this book and author.
Vicki
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming!

If you like reading books by Jannette Oke, you'll love the Troublesome Creek series! Copper is a young girl that is struggling with the task of becoming a young woman. Living on the mountain, continuing in her ancestors footsteps, experiencing life in these backwoods is a struggle but they all trust God to see them through.
Ramona
Love comes in all forms and this story is filled with those different loves. Young love, family love, romantic love, first love. There is sadness, happiness, joy, and heartbreak abundant in Watson's story of a family's journey through life. Copper Brown and her family touch your heartstrings with their hopes, dreams, and sorrows of everyday life in the 1800s, in the mountains of Kentucky.
Susie Ryman
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had My Heart

This story touched me as a real story that I heard tell in Emmalena, Ky. Troublesome Creek has been known to flood. I felt I was there on everypage. Copper is not imaginary to me I knew that little girl who didnt what to leave the mountains!
Charity Russell
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author of this series Troublesome Creek is Jan Watson. Christian Writers Guild guy Jerry B Jenkins edited this first book of her series also named Troublesome Creek. This book was a "Winner" of 2014. Interesting perspective of a pioneer woman's life & marriage
Diane Balding
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Nice about the good ole days with some Christian ideas love the she wrote it.. Can't wait to read more.
Kbarker
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was pretty good!!!!! I'm anxious to Finnish the story with the other 2 books.
Ashley Rennhack
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Great historical fiction and can actually feel like you're with the characters. Loved it!
Sherri Ferguson
Fantastic coming of age story set in the hills of Kentucky. Absolutely loved it! Highly recommend this whole series!
Keshia Burchette
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
Such a wonderful book.
Phyllis K. Lee
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read!

I got lost in these pages...couldn't put it down. I'll be looking for more from Jan Watson. Great, great read.
Dorothea Collyear
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful characters, wonderful storytelling all the way through! It has been years since I read and enjoyed this book and the family and storyline have stayed with me .
Julie Wesson
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty darned good for a first novel. Looking forward to the sequel.
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, christian
Plot Summary: What happens, When & Where, Central Characters, Major Conflicts[return]Copper loves her life by Troublesome Creek, and is scared at the thought of being sent to a boarding school. But her stepmother is worried that Copper--or Laura Grace--won't have much of a future in the rural hills of Kentucky during the 1880s. Copper also wonders about the sometimes strained relationship between her Pa and her stepmother--and about how her mother died. The story flashes back to when her Pa- ...more
Anya
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a debut novel by a gifted writer. The author found her way into publishing by winning the Christian Writers Guild First Novel Contest and was further blessed by landing Jerry B. Jenkins as editor, making her good writing even better.

The story is set in the mountains of Kentucky, just past the Civil War. The main character, a young woman who must make the difficult decision to choose between her beloved home and following the man she loves to a city life, is likeable and fresh. The story
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Love on a Dime (Ladies of Summerhill, #1)
  • A Woman Called Sage
  • Sunrise
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Fireflies in December
  • The Year She Fell
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • The Judge Who Stole Christmas
  • Sweetie
  • Just As I Am (Just as I am #1)
  • The Homecoming
  • Beyond All Price
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • The Little Known
  • The Pursuit of Pleasure (Dartmouth Brides, #1)
  • One Hit Wonder
  • The Edge of Light (At Home in Beldon Grove, #1)

Jan Watson won the 2004 Christian Writers Guild Operation First Novel contest for her first novel, Troublesome Creek. Her other awards include a nomination for the Kentucky Literary Award in 2006 and second place in the 2006 Inspirational Readers Choice Contest sponsored by the Faith, Hope, and Love Chapter of

Troublesome Creek (3 books)
  • Willow Springs (Troublesome Creek, #2)
  • Torrent Falls (Troublesome Creek, #3)
“The city most believed to be the handsomest in Kentucky never failed to impress .... The streets, lined with booths and wagons from which people displayed their wares, had a festive air.” 5 likes