Start by marking “Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business” as Want to Read:
Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business

Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  1,108 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Do you have a grip on your business, or does your business have a grip on you?
All entrepreneurs and business leaders face similar frustrations--personnel conflict, profit woes, and inadequate growth. Decisions never seem to get made, or, once made, fail to be properly implemented. But there is a solution. It's not complicated or theoretical. Based on years of real-world i
Published April 3rd 2012 by Benbella Books (first published October 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Traction, please sign up.

Wesley Seems like it should be useful. I'll be doing just that... so time will tell. The concepts are broad. Understanding them will give you a view of how…moreSeems like it should be useful. I'll be doing just that... so time will tell. The concepts are broad. Understanding them will give you a view of how to grow a business from startup to wherever you take it. To me it seems that following the EOS process from the beginning will save you from needing to break bad habits later. I've explained what I'm planning to an EOS implementer and his response was - let's dig in! (less)

Jim B
This book is very popular in business circles. I can see why. If you have ever tried to get a group of leaders organized but stumbled on the definitions of "goals," and "objectives" etc., you know that the vocabulary of planning and strategy are not universal. This book provides its own vocabulary (some of it trademarked) so everyone is clear on what each part is, how it is defined, why it is needed, etc. It also provides a tried and proven system of getting a entrepreneurial enterprise on the p ...more
M.L.
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This Review Goes to 11"

Traction gets 4 stars for being the very bestest management book I have read. Unfortunately, that's a scale that maxes out at four. Thus I've proven that business management literature is the antithesis of SpinalTap.

Here's what Traction does right: Everything. There are clear plans and tools and strategies for getting a business at least looking in the right direction. How do I know? I've been using them, and they seem to be working. At least nobody's punched me yet - whi
Chad Warner
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Brent Weaver, David Steenwyk
One of the best business books I've read! It provides a comprehensive "operating system" (EOS) for running a business. See EOS Model. I'm installing this OS in my web agency, OptimWise, immediately!

The book promises to help "leaders run better businesses, get better control, have better life balance, and gain more traction" with a functional, cohesive team. It's based on human nature; how people really operate. Wickman has been refining this system in the real world for over 20 years with over 4
Stefania
I was asked to read this book at work, and I will admit I was a bit skeptical at first. It has been surprisingly good in many ways. After taking the recommendations, I find that my meetings are more efficient, and we are more focused on objectives. So much about successful business is alignment, and this book definitely creates that.

It was good to have everything in one place, rather than having to read multiple books. A lot of it is common sense: yes, we need a vision. Yes, we need to have the
Tim
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far one of the most important books I have read as an entrepreneur and business owner. I have now read it 4 times and have built my business process based on this framework. There is so much to this book. I wish I would have had it 20 years ago when I started my first business. The first time through, you will catch the main points, but miss many details. It is all there, though. I recommend reading through quickly the first time just to get the concept. Then go back through, reading ...more
Fred Rose
Basic but good templates, easy and effective.
Samson Sunny
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book author explains few principles which is very helpful to improve the company growth. Vision is the main component. Every company should have a vision and all employees must know the companies vision. It will motivate the employees to do well in their work.

Then surround your self with great people. Companies should hire the right people and give a right seat. Managing people is the very important thing when you are running a business.

Collect data on everything. Such as how the produ
Stacy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
In my opinion, no one actually reads a business/professional development book with the plan of implementing or duplicating the business practices in the book. If you want that, hire the author's company.

With that said, I don't read these books and expect a business-changing revelation to overtake me. I do expect to find some powerful statements that resonate with me. Mix in some good common sense and a few ways to implement practical steps and I'm set. Sometimes, real-life examples (successful a
Jason Carter
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wickman offers a 7-step Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS), designed to help business owners systematically do the right things to help their business grow and thrive.

There's no rocket science, here, as most business do not require rocket science to operate smoothly. Instead, Wickman offers practical steps that, when followed, ensure that the owner(s) do the right things right.

I found a lot of helpful tips in here and am already starting to implement some of them in my own business.

Recommen
Nicole Lane
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was part of assigned reading as I joined a new organization. Wickman's points are interesting but not exactly revolutionary. In fact, most of what he says is based on common sense i.e. give your team solid goals that can be measured objectively by a number rather than subjectively. The supplemental website provides excellent tools to implement it all. I'd recommend this to anyone looking to grow their business.
John Taylor
Even though it says it is not, the author presents his management system a little too much like a silver bullet for business. He touts his own horn a bit much. However, there is a lot of great advice in the book and much of what he suggests appears as if it could really drive businesses in the right direction, if they stick to the plan.
Amanda
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in a leadership position
Recommended to Amanda by: Mandatory for work
Shelves: technical
It was a little slow going at first, but once it gained momentum I found it rather informative. I think I would have never continued it, however, if I hadn't listened to the audio version while driving. That being said, I'm glad I did. The ideas in it weren't new, but the process outlined holds promise.
Michael
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent roadmap for improving organization, accountability, and effectiveness in an organization. We will will be integrating these tools immediately in our business. One of the most useful business books I have read, and I have read many.
Daryl
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those business books I'll come back to regularly. The advice is highly actionable and objective, and the system it recommends ("Entrepreneurial Operating System aka EOS") seems like a good single system for managing a small business that I'd like to test out.
Stephen
Excellent tools capture a lot of what many people have covered in other books, as admitted by the author. Look at it like an advanced workbook for Good to Great and for that, it's superb.
Craig Cote
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting stuff, useful information, presented well and logically -- one can tell when it is being absorbed as an audiobook. :)
Jonathan Sparks
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
So far, this was the best business book I've read. It pulls from lots of other books, and is full of wisdom and tips, never boring, all applicable, I could not recommend more!
Dean P.
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our company has been working to implement EOS for several months and I’ve found that reading Traction is a very helpful component while our LT works on the overall implementation pieces.
WPO Columbus
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth M. Review.
Diane
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I was forced to read this for work. The concepts of this book are necessary, great organization of a meeting and setting goals, but the execution was rather boring (as most business books are).

Erik
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for anyone looking to gain on their practice and the competition.

Brian
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're an entrepreneur who has yet to reach peak capacity, DO NOT HESITATE! Read this and implement asap.
Luis Adrian
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and usefull.
Matt Crumpton
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you manage an organization of 5 or more employees, the Traction EOS system is a gamechanger. My company has fully implemented the system and it has produced outstanding results, not to mention peace of mind.

There are 6 components to running a business. That's what the book is focused around. It's all great stuff. But, as a practical matter the biggest/most notable changes to our business have been:

- Things get done with nothing slipping through the cracks. The weekly recurring meetings + to
Wesley
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all seems so simple and straight-forward. Now to implement... Sets a standard for how to build a business - good to be able to see that at the beginning as something to head towards rather than setting bad habits.
Frank Bravata
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great "operating system" for your business. Too many companies are haphazardly slapped together with no thought towards the finished product. This system has it all: marketing, operations, sales, and more. Of special note is the breakout of the various roles, and the system for getting the right people in the right seats. For the longest time, I was in the wrong seat at my own company! After learning and implementing Traction, the effects of our company have been mind-boggling!
Tony Cavicchi
TRACTION has many good points to make that would be helpful to entrepenuers attempting to standardize their businesses and drive more profit. In many ways, Gino Wickman writes to the same target market as Verne Harnish in Scaling Up (reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) and addresses similar issues. In many ways, TRACTION is the more bureaucratic, more paperwork half-brother of the Rockefeller Habits. While Rockefeller is a larger framework, Traction prescribes many more spec ...more
Mike
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to other good "business system" books like Scaling Up by Verne Harnish or Work the System by Sam Carpenter.
Patrick
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally I don't just read fantasy and fiction. Every once in a while I get out a leadership book and see what someone else has said on the topic. This particular book came as a recommendation from my boss, and I have to say, it was a good recommendation.

This book was one that broke down "how to get where you want to go." It started with your big ideas, your dreams, and systematically got narrower and narrower until you got your head out of the clouds and you feet on the ground (where you ha
Cinnamon
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
TRACTION: GET A GRIP ON YOUR BUSINESS by Gino Wickman was a slightly different book for me to review, as my regular readers will notice. Due to my current educational state, I figured it would be an interesting choice, however, so I embarked on a mission to learn about business ownership and management.

TRACTION spends a lot of time encouraging the reader to focus on goal setting and analysis. Are your goals appropriate for what you're doing? Is what you're doing appropriate for your goals? The
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • The Trust Edge: How Top Leaders Gain Faster Results, Deeper Relationships, and a Stronger Bottom Line
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The New How: Creating Business Solutions Through Collaborative Strategy
  • Co-Opetition
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • How to Think Like a CEO: The 22 Vital Traits You Need to Be the Person at the Top
  • The Moral Molecule: The Source of Love and Prosperity
  • True Professionalism: The Courage to Care About Your People, Your Clients, and Your Career
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • The Entrepreneur Equation: Evaluating the Realities, Risks, and Rewards of Having Your Own Business
  • Beyond Entrepreneurship: Turning Your Business into an Enduring Great Company
  • Giving 2.0: Transform Your Giving and Our World
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Customer-Funded Business: Start, Finance, or Grow Your Company with Your Customers' Cash
  • The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »