Start by marking “A Cook's Journey to Japan: Fish Tales and Rice Paddies 100 Homestyle Recipes from Japanese Kitchens” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"A Cook's Journey to Japan" is a marvelous collection of recipes based on one woman's journey through the simple, yet evocative, everyday foods found across Japan. This heartwarming--and hunger-inducing--book recounts the author's journey through Japan as she gathered recipes from everyday Japanese people--from wives, husbands, mothers and fathers to innkeepers and line co ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Tuttle Publishing (first published April 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Cook's Journey to Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cook's Journey to Japan

gina
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, nonfiction
I liked this book and wrote down a few things I'll google later to see about getting my husband to cook. He lived in Japan for a while in college and enjoys Japanese food immensely. He wasn't happy with my suggestions and actually took the book and wrote down lots of recipes for us to try. He enjoyed the writing and laughed at how perfectly she explained some of the experiences and oddities that a traveler who lives there will come upon in their stay. So if you've lived in Japan or traveled ther ...more
Pamela Okano
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, food
Want fairly simple Japanese recipes without too many exotic ingredients? This is for you. The author used to teach English in Japan, and later went back to find recipes by home cooks, mainly in the south islands and the Aomori area. I've only tried one so far--the braised spareribs--but look forward to trying more.
Cat
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Japanese food lovers
Shelves: cookbooks
This was the first Japanese cookbook I’ve ever bought and I’m definitely a beginner when it comes to the cuisine. And I LOVED it. It seriously has everything you want in a cookbook and is accessible enough for someone with novice skills to use (but with some recipes that are staples or complicated enough that those who are more advanced will like it too). The pictures are beautiful and it comes with a number of guides in the introductory section. It has tips and tricks, a detailed explanation of ...more
Sandra Lassiter
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mmmmmmm! Luscious cookbook with luscious food!! This book is a delight to the eye, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Don't just stop with reading, though. Dive in and cook up some fabulous Japanese food! My husband loved the Sesame Seared Beef! Yakitori Chicken Skewers, Chicken and Vegetable Rice Medley, Breaded Pork Cutlets, Five Color Salad, Spicy Pan-Seared Eggplant and Toasted Sesame Cookies--there's something for everyone!

If you don't have a good Asian market, you might have some trouble
Val
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Someone once told me that a cookbook is worth it if it has just one really great recipe and this one does. Page 147. Toasted Sesame Cookies. I made them for our Creative Cooking Group last night, subject, Japanese Cooking, and, even though the recipe made almost 8 dozen and there were only 25 of us, there were only about a dozen cookies left. They are that good. They are also almost transparently thin, so you don't feel that you've eaten much when you've eaten one.
David Ward
A Cook's Journey to Japan: Fish Tales and Rice Paddies/100 Recipes from Japanese Kitchens by Sarah Marx Feldner (Tuttle Publishing 2010) (641.5951) is a beautifully photographed volume of sumptuous dishes. My rating: 5/10, finished 2/22/11.
Brenda
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The recipes are good, and it is helpful that in some of the recipes it shows you pictures of how to do it. I like how she tell you all the ingredient and kitchen ware you might need for you to start your cooking! I will try some of the recipes!!
susie Marie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think anyone tested these recipes before placing them in cookbook. My food looked nothing like the picture. My buckwheat cookies looked like piles of turds and weren't crispy at all.
Cat
Cynthia
Apr 09, 2012
Gabe
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the narrative, but the recipes were a little disappointing.
Gabrielle
  • Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook
  • Everyday Harumi
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The Japanese Grill: From Classic Yakitori to Steak, Seafood, and Vegetables
  • The Spice Merchant's Daughter: Recipes and Simple Spice Blends for the American Kitchen
  • Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
  • Untangling My Chopsticks: A Culinary Sojourn in Kyoto
  • Try This: Traveling the Globe Without Leaving the Table
  • Real Cooking (tpb)
  • The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet
  • Pumpkin: The Curious History of an American Icon
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • The Dumpling: A Seasonal Guide
  • The Baby and Toddler Cookbook: Fresh, Homemade Foods for a Healthy Start
  • A Year in Japan
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day