Start by marking “Praying Circles Around Your Children” as Want to Read:
Praying Circles Around...

Mark Batterson

Praying Circles Around Your Children

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,314 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Based on his New York Times bestseller, The Circle Maker, Mark Batterson shows ordinary parents how to become extraordinary influencers in the lives of their children through prayer in Praying Circles around Your Children. You'll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent!
Published July 24th 2012 by Zondervan (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Praying Circles Around Your Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Praying Circles Around Your Children

Robert Martin
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I appreciate the concept of this book, that parents need to intentionally enter into a life of prayer for their children, to cover their lives with that prayer and "circle" them. So, to that extent, this is a good book to remind us as that.

However, the presentation of the concept, while peppered with "You need to make sure you're praying God's will, not your will" admonitions, still came across strongly as "If you pray for it, it will happen". The stories and examples told came across as a matte
Mandy J. Hoffman
THE OVERVIEW:

Praying Circles Around Your Kids is a short book that takes the principles of his previous book - The Circle Maker - and applies them to praying for your children. Batterson combines his personal thoughts with Scripture along with tips to apply what you learn as you read. The main point of this book is praying for your children, but this book could also be read by grandparents and others involved in the lives of children.

THE READABILITY:

As I already mentioned, this is a short book -
Steven R. McEvoy
It has been a long time since I have read a book so immediately applicable, a book that literally drove me to my knees. It is a book that instilled a greater desire and conviction of the need for prayer and ways to pray specifically. But this book is much more than just a guide book. It is amazing that a book of just over 100 pages can have so much power and an incredibly lasting impact. This book was so powerful I did not trust myself to write a review at first; I waited until after a second re ...more
Rhonda
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Great, and important, reminder to always 'pray circles around', or pray without ceasing, for your children. I do this daily, actually at least twice a day.

Favorite Quotes:

Just as one decision can change your destiny, so can one prayer. If you were to map out your spiritual history, you would find countless answers to prayer at key intersections along the way. Before you were even born, even named, many of your had parents and grandparents who prayed for you. I believe that every blessing, every
Jerrod Carter
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many of the most important things in life take a lifetime to master, and many of those take only a moment to explain. Even relatively unimportant things, like golf, fall into that category. (Yeah, I know a lot of you may disagree on the importance of golf).

Prayer is definitely one of those things. Mark does a great job here of giving practical ideas of how to pray for our kids--our own biological children, and the children of the community around us. If you're interested in becoming better at in
Stephanie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was with him until he said one of his most important prayers was that his son would like girls. Yet early in the book he claims we shouldn't pray for our children to be what we want them to be. I hope his son hasn't read this book. Batterson does not really seem to know what he wants to say here. I'll keep looking. If anything, it taught me some ways not to pray for my children.
Nicole
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was just the day I read it or the parenting challenges I am currently facing, but this book spoke to me. It was practical and provided answers to questions I didn't know I had. It brought clarity and gave me comfort.
Wendy Sparkes
I came across the titles of Mark Batterson’s Circle series among the one of the lovely groups I belong to on Goodreads. Several of the group were recommending it highly, saying how it had helped their prayer life. So, when Praying Circles around Your Children became free on Kindle, I decided to download it. Not because I have children of my own (I don’t) but I figured that although the emphasis would be about praying for your children, the basic principles would be there that I could adapt for m ...more
Crystal Scott
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to begin by saying that this little book will change the way you pray for your children. Mark Batterson says, “You’ll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent!” Praying Circles around your Children will help you understand how important it is to pray for children out loud. Pray where they can hear you and you will be truly amazed at how well they will remember the prayers and the Bible verses you say during your prayers.

The five prayer circles, Circling the Promises of G
Angel
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growing, christian
Originally posted in angelroman

There's something I have to confess, I don't have children, but still enjoyed the reading. You don't have to be a parent, or to be married to be interested about prayer. And this is exactly the impression I felt after few pages.

The booklet starts with an introduction about the importance of prayer, and the effects it can produce in your life and in your family. Quoting the last lines of this chapter:

Your prayers for your children are the greatest legacy you can lea
Jeff
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-book-list
As a parent, praying for your kids is one of the most, if not the most important thing you can do.

Mark's book inspired me to keep circling in these very important, formative years in the life of Jesse and Cole.

Here are some take-aways:

* Make sure your Heavenly Father hears about your kids daily.
* You'll never be a perfect parent. But you can be a praying parent.
* Your prayers must be in the will of God and for the glory of God.
* Your worst mistakes double as your greatest opportunities.
* Psalm
Emily Ventura
The book, in my opinion, is biblically sound. The author explains five topical ways we can pray for our children (he calls each of these "circles"). These circles include:
1. Praying the promises of God
2. Making a prayer list
3. Creating a Prayer Mantra (basically a chosen verse for your child)
4. Praying in circles, (kind of making your family your prayer partner)
5. Praying through the bible
This is a great list and a wonderful way to pray for your children and grandchildren.

Here's what I didn't li
Keiki Hendrix
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short read, but a good exhortation of the importance of prayer. The focus is more on the form or structure your prayers take. It's based on the LEGEND of Honi who prayed circles for rain.

After identifying the form to shape your prayers around (the legend of Honi), the author moves on to define types of circles to create in your prayer life. Using personal stories both from his own family and his friends, Mark Batterson lists the types of prayers for your children and why these are important.

Gr
Loraine
This was a very insightful read. Wish I had read it when my son was small, but found much that will be helpful in praying for my grandson. Full of good ideas and nuggets of wisdom. I have already recommended this book to several young moms I know. Every parent should read this book.
Angie  Moore
While I understand the thought behind this book I was looking more for a 'how to' so to speak... However, the author made so many references to his previous book that this really should have not been a stand alone book but added onto his first book. Apparently you need to read that first.
Amydeanne
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a lot of encouragement to get back to praying for my children and more importantly with my children. Mark has some great ideas on how to build up your prayer life- I will read again and again as a reminder of my job as a parent!
Marci Anthony
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a must read as a parent. I wish that I had read it when my kids were young but its never too late to start. My mom just read it and is praying for her grandchildren.
Nick Lofthouse
Good reminders and principles, but it reads like a self-help pamphlet.
Angela
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I have been doing this for a long time but didn't know their was a book about it. A must read for all Christian parents, Grandparents and great Grandparents.
William Scott III
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased
If you are a parent and want the will of God for your child you MUST READ THIS BOOK!!
Tiffany Allnutt
Good read would like more application

Nice read with good thoughts on power or prayer but could use more actual application or laid out steps to help
Christina
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-christina
I liked this book because it was quick, straight to the point and encouraging.
Steven R. McEvoy
Spencer Cummins
Mark Batterson, author of The Circle Maker and pastor of National Community Church in Washington D.C. has written a timely and insightful on prayer and your children called Praying Circles around Your Children. Batterson in the opening chapter spells out for parents in practical ways some basic truths: one, you will make a lot of mistakes and second, “your worst mistakes double as your greatest opportunities” (10-11). Batterson goes onto state that “every blessing, every breakthrough, every mira ...more
Sojourner
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raising children is easier said than done. And being a parent is no less easy. Mark Batterson bluntly writes, "You'll never be a perfect parent," yet he exhorts, "...but you can be a praying parent."

Mark Batterson, the lead pastor of one of America's most innovative churches authors an equally innovative little book Praying Circles Around Your Children, published by Zondervan, which is ostensibly an offshoot of his earlier New York Times bestseller The Circle Maker.

Praying Circles Around Your Ch
Stephanie
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Batterson has made a name for himself among parents for the unique way he teaches parents how to pray for their children. The idea of praying circles apparently dates back to Jesus' time, but it isn't something many Christians do today. I found comfort in the concept, and I enjoyed reading his instructions and suggestions on how to make it work. Part of me wishes I had purchased the book (this was a library book) so I could have highlighted some of my favorite passages.

The book draws on a little
Carrie
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke 2:52 is a time-lapse of Jesus' development as a child.
" May you grow in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."

Parents: You are prophets to your children.
Jewish philosophers did not believe the prophetic gift was reserved for a few select individuals. They believed that becoming prophetic was the crowning point of mental and spiritual development. It was the natural by-product of spiritual development. THE MORE ONE GROWS IN GRACE, THE MORE PROCHETIC ONE BECOMES.
Prayer is the way
Ashleyguercio
I loved some things about this book but it seemed way too abbreviated. I never read the circle maker so I wonder if that's why. Maybe this is more of a companion book?
Betsy
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book really opened my eyes to how easy it is to pray circles around my girls. It offered different ways to not only uplift them in prayer but also their friends, classmates, future partners. I didn't expect this book to be like it was. I guess I was expecting more of a how to. This gave me more of why I should pray circles around my children. I know it is important to do so, they are the future of our world, and they are entrusted to me while on this planet. This book made me see that I not ...more
Crystal
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting. It was PHENOMENAL. The wisdom of leaving a legacy through our prayers is something I've never encountered until now. I have dog-eared, underlined, and journaled from this book and I will be reading it over and over again.

I've seen other reviews say that this book basically states that if you pray for it, you'll get it but I disagree. The book emphasizes the need to align our prayers with God's will and His plan and that even if our prayers aren't answered (like
Christian Fiction...: * January - Praying Circles Around Your Children 13 101 Jan 26, 2013 08:55AM
Christian Books: Praying Circles Around Your Children 1 11 Jan 15, 2013 09:54PM
  • NIV Once-A-Day 31 Days of Wisdom
  • Honest to God: Becoming Brutally Honest with a Gracious God
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • PrayerWalk: Becoming a Woman of Prayer, Strength, and Discipline
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • No More Perfect Kids: Love the Kids You Have, Not the Ones You Want
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Children: Discover How to Pray God's Will for Their Lives
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother (Pilgrimage Growth Guide)
  • God Can't Sleep: Waiting for Daylight On Life's Dark Nights
  • Kingdom Journeys: Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline
  • Heaven for Kids
Mark Batterson serves as lead pastor of National Community Church (www.theaterchurch.com) in Washington, DC. One church with seven locations. NCC is focused on reaching emerging generations and meets in theaters throughout the DC metro area. NCC also owns and operates the largest coffeehouse on Capitol Hill. Mark holds a Doctor of Ministry degree from Regent University and is the New York Times be ...more
More about Mark Batterson...
“All of us need Aarons and Hurs in our lives. We need people who are strong when we’re weak. We need people who are full of faith when we’re running on empty. We need people who will fight for us on their knees. We all need a prayer circle!” 1 likes
“100 percent of the prayers I don’t pray won’t get answered.” 1 likes