Start by marking “Twilight Over Burma: My Life as a Shan Princess” as Want to Read:
Twilight Over Burma: My Life as a Shan Princess

Twilight Over Burma: My Life as a Shan Princess

Just married and returning to live in her new husband's native land, a young Austrian woman arrived with her Burmese husband by passenger ship in Rangoon in 1953. They were met at dockside by hundreds of well-wishers displaying colorful banners, playing music on homemade instruments, and carrying giant bouquets of flowers. She was puzzled by this unusual welcome until her ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Kolowalu Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Over Burma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight Over Burma

Start your review of Twilight Over Burma: My Life as a Shan Princess
Mona
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: burma
Twilight over Burma is more than a story of a prince marrying a foreigner although it is that, too. Sao, the ruling prince of a Shan state in Burma, meets Inge, an Austrian, while they are both studying in Colorado. It's like a fairy tale when they fall in love, marry and leave for Burma. Only when they are ready to disembark in Rangoon does he reveal his princely position. The autobiography, told in third person by Inge, richly describes the royal life and Inge's adjustment to it as she learns ...more
Lena
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy the writing, felt dry and detached for such an emotional story. The historical background is pretty interesting though, especially for someone who is interested in the region and it's background. Felt more like a text book or a briefing document though than an autobiography.
Saw
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Twilight Over Burma is the story of a great happiness destroyed by evil, the overthrow of one of Burma's most respected local leaders, and one woman's determination and bravery against a ruthless military regime.
She met him. She trusted him. They married. She followed him to his country, Burma. Everything was perfect until it happened..........
When you read this book, you will get to know the life of the people under the military regime. Our country was ruled by it for over 60 years. No word c
Leslie
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved this book as a true story of life in Burma - it helped me to understand some of the history of this country - it is long, complex and not peaceful in any way. For such a lovely country - the people, the culture, and the sights of the countryside and people their history is truly not peaceful. It is amazing what little power there is for anyone.
Paul Chan Htoo Sang
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Granted that the writing is not the best, but the content itself is interesting, and it serves a great medium in showing why the Shan and the Myanmar's military have conflicts.

A book that every Burmese should read.
Mg Nathan
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
After reading this book,i just realize why other ethnic groups in Myanmar hate Burmans,us.
Jaymee
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: burma
Surprised I sped through this book. Story is gripping and told quite beautifully and fluidly. Great introduction to the Shan state through a foreigner who embraced becoming 'one of the locals,' and eventually had to suffer through Ne Win's regime, losing her home and her husband. This loss is palpable in the book; the only thing that didn't feel true in the book's back summary is her ruling over the Shan people.
Mam
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
While it offers some insights into Myanmar history, specifically relating to the Shan State and the Hsipaw, it comes across as a weak memoir. This is largely due to the third person narrative (why!?!?) and the chapters recounting her husband's point of view when captured by the military. The strength of the book was her reflections on the local customs, her adaptation and the day to day lifestyle. It is also a sad reminder of the great potential destroyed.
Oliver Hazan
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
A strange autobiography, written in the 3rd person. This, and the ever present staff, jewels, and such, make it a rather detached experience. Interesting historical detail, though.
Hnin Set Phyu
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, burmese
I read the translated version so I don't know how it is written in original book but it felt a little too plain for such an emotional story although I get that she's not a writer. I think these kinds of stories are never taught in schools and can be only learned through books. It was indeed an interesting read.
Elaine
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Written in 1994
Movie:Title: The Last Mahadevi
Running Time: 85 Minutes
Status: Released
Country: Germany
Genre: Biopic, Documentary

Sao Kya Seng assumed the title of Saophalong (Great Lord of the Sky) in Burma in 1947. Prince of the Shan province of Hsipaw.The Shan states are bordered by China, Thailand and Laos.He then went to study in the US for four years. Married Inge in 1953

Inge Sargent, Thusandi in Burma, became a Mahadevi (Celestial Princess) in 1957.

The Shans at
Kayla D
Read Asia Challenge 03

Twilight Over Burma was a book brought back my parents from their trip to Myanmar several months ago. I was extremely excited to dive into this book because for having such an interesting and eventful life, I have never heard of Inge Sargent. Moreover, the politics of Myanmar has always intrigued me and I hoped that this book would kickstart my next foray into the country’s history.

It was a little hard to believe that this was a memoir since the book is written from a third-p/>Twilight
Annie
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book many years ago in my book club. Since the author lived in Boulder and was close to us, she came to a book club of ours. The author, an Austrian, met and married a Burmese prince when both of them were students at a college in Denver that had many international students. She didn't know that he was a prince until they arrived in Burma. (I'm not giving anything away since this was in the description of the book. Personally, I gasped when I read this part of the book. I wouldn't li ...more
Lydia Hooker
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
My Grandma grew up in Burma, and I thought it would be interesting to learn more about Burma and what it was like there when she was growing up.

The name is significant because at this time in the 1960's there where wars and arguments over religions, and it was a dark time in Burma.

I think Inge wrote this book to teach people more about Burma, and what her life was like when she was the princess of Shan.

I think it was written for someone who wanted to know more about Burma and was i
carter
genuinely interesting story of a european woman's unique experience of life in the shan states of the union of burma - she married into shan royalty- and of the burmese army takeover of the country. it certainly sparked an interest in learning more about the shan states, and about the army takeover that led to the country's current state. despite the interesting story, the format of the book is a bit jumpy, with vague delineation between the course of the story and recollections intended to fles ...more
Ashutosh
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly awesome book. Made me emotional at the end. What a brave princess!!
Issi
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good reading and information about Burma in the mid 1900s.
Mai Aung
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Writing as a third person for your own story is kinda strange but interesting presentation. I fall in love with every chaper. Good book indeed.
Susan Silver
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Non fictional account of Burma before it became Myanmar.
Lynne
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2011-2012
Interesting look at how the 1962 military takeover in Burma affected the autonomous state of Shan and its popular American educated ruler and his Austrian wife.
Marjie
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting story and insight into the politics of Burma. It was interesting that both she and her husband, the prince, had Colorado contections.
Alex
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this from a student outside Dhammayangi Temple in Myanmar along with Burmese Days. She was selling books and guided tours to finance her studies - a beautiful girl in a silk longyi with thanaka on her cheeks combed into intricate patterns. The author, Inge Sargent, spent 12 years living in Burma, married to a Shan prince until the military coup in 1962 - its one of those surely-this-can't-be-true kind of stories. At the time I was struggling to get my head around the culture, geography ...more
Sai Namkham
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some reviews make a mistake on the usage of Burmese. Sao is not Burmese prince. Sao is a Shan prince. Burmese is a member of the largest ethnic group of Burma (Myanmar). But Shan is the second ethics group in Myanmar. If saying Burmese prince, it seems he is not belong to Shan people. Your mistakes can make some one misunderstand the meaning of it. Be careful.
Miia
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
My Burmese friend borrowed me this book. It was interesting to learn more about her country and the history. However, I was surprised the book was written in a third person narrative, so it didn't feel like a memoir. At some points it was hard to concentrate, but every time I felt a bit bored, the part was follewed with a more interesting story.
Natasha B
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent and better than Orwell's fictional Burmese days although Burmese days is instructive in understanding Orwell's time in Burma and how it led to 1984.
JJ  Ellis
It's not a page turner book. I found it quite boring when she talked about herself. But the history of Burma is interesting story after second world war.
Jenn
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at Myanmar before and after military dictatorship took over.
Ploy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
Not quite my tempo but still enjoyable. Anyway, providing interesting historical stuff about Shan state.
Melinda Tan
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
What a fascinating time in history! Unfortunately, the writing was mechanical and juvenile.
Suzanne Auckerman
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent book--Myanmar was so interesting and different from anywhere I had visited. I am still trying to absorb all that I saw and learned. This book is written by a woman that married a Shan prince (she was Austrian and they met at a college in Colorado, where he was studying to be a mining engineer and she was an exchange student). They married in Colorado and she knew she would be going to Myanmar to live, but did not know he was a prince. Myanmar was cobbled together by the British in 1948 ...more

• Burmese Days