Start by marking “The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard, #3)

The Radiant Warrior (Conrad Stargard #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  820 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
New light on the past

Conrad Stargard, a 20th-century Pole marooned in 13th century Poland has just ten years to prevent the Mongol Hordes from slaughtering everyone in Poland.

So he "invented" all the modern advances, things like prefabricated housing, playboy clubs, the steam engine, universal education, the cloth factory, and belly dancing.

But wars are fought by warriors,
Mass Market Paperback, 281 pages
Published June 14th 1989 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Radiant Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Radiant Warrior

Jonathan  McGaha
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The character of Conrad Stargard is an almost archetypal Mary Sue; although the bizarre bigotry and chauvinism which he, and the author, take as a given would make many an ethical reader perhaps think otherwise. Conrad has the answer so often that it's frankly a bit boring. He designs his own clock system in perhaps a paragraph and a half. The author snobbishly plunks the event into the first sentence, almost verbatim saying, "so I designed my own." Then he gives us a quick explanation of Mary S ...more
Jim
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the third in the Conrad Stargard series, about a Polish engineer who travels back in time to medieval Poland. Like the Connecticut Yankee at King Arthur's court in Twain's story, Conrad finds himself in a situation where he can use his knowledge and skills to jump-start a medieval society into modern times. He introduces the steam engine and a cloth factory and-with the help of a Muslim alchemist--gunpowder and guns.
It seems to me he gets too much support from local lords and churchmen
Matt
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I actually find the stripclubs less believable than the genetically engineered horse that has the intelligence of a human and reproduces asexually on-demand. Even so, this was as enjoyable as the first 2 books. My favorite part was how he started building the army by putting medieval riff-raff through boot camp.
Harold Ogle
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
John
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. Not nearly as sexist as portrayed by some. Some will be offended though.

Interesting time travel bit. Includes the first 3 books.
Matthew Esham
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The third book has some of my favorite scenes and kicks off the work to get to the battle with the mongols. My one complaint is the third book starts off a little slow, but makes up for it in the last third of the book. Still, that slow start cost it a start.

Awesome parts:
-The love story that starts out with Boris Novachek losing his hands. I guess I am a romantic at heart.
-Hell...the warrior school is started.
-Piotr's fight with Baron Stefan. I love the fight and what comes after.
-Piotr's love
Dantegideon
Apr 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
With the author taking the unusual step of dispensing with a plot entirely and just droning on about factories all the time, there's nothing to distract from the increasingly rabid misogyny and bizarre obsession with very young girls. Going back in time and opening a bunch of topless bars staffed by teenage girls makes you an arsehole in my opinion, not a hero. Gave up 4/5ths of the way through. Ugh.
Nicholas
Jun 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
I loved the first book, enjoyed the second and am struggling to finish the third.

I didnt mind the Gary Stu aspect because its escapism but we've got the point where you only have to read the first and last paragraph of every chapter to follow whats because there is no struggle, no interference from the church, the public, the aristocracy, he never doesnt know what to do. There's no story anymore.

Also when he gave the new girl to the Duke, make me feel a bit icky.
Bryan457
I love books that take a character and move him out of his time and place such as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, or The Chronicles of Narnia. This is one of my favorites. I love the world building. I could do without all the sex with nubile young women, but I'm not offended by it.
Time for Conrad to get a modern army and weapons put together. The mongols will be overrunning Poland very soon.
Bill
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Third book in the Baen omnibus ebook edition Conrad Stargard: The Radiant Warrior.
Stranded in 13th century Poland, Conrad uses his 20th century engineering know-how to prepare the Poles for the Mongol invasion. Humor and danger are frequent as Conrad does his best to adapt to the times and make the culture a little more egalitarian.
Dan
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
This one had a bit less plot than the previous books -- the dude spent three hundred pages talking about all his awesome engineering projects and then the book ended. There was a side plot with his accountant which was sort of alarmingly misogynistic.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly good series. The baisc man-out-of-time story line but very involved. Excellent characters and story. Highly recommended.
John
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1fiction, box18
Great series on to the next
Andy
Tiny
Sep 18, 2012
Ken Gardner
Aug 23, 2015
  • Washington's Dirigible (Timeline Wars #2)
  • Castaways in Time (Castaways in Time, #1)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Time Spike
  • Crater Lake (Deathlands, #4)
  • Time Patrolman
  • The Burning Eye (War World #1)
  • Unto the Breach (Paladin of Shadows, #4)
  • Lord Darcy Investigates (Lord Darcy, #3)
  • Himmler's War
  • Back to the Future, Part 3
  • Rescue Mode
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Departures
  • Wildside
  • Leviathan
  • The Clone Elite (Rogue Clone, #4)

Conrad Stargard (10 books)
  • Conrad's Time Machine: A Prequel to the Adventures of Conrad Stargard (Cross-Time Engineer)
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • The High-Tech Knight (Conrad Stargard, #2)
  • The Flying Warlord (Conrad Stargard, #4)
  • Lord Conrad's Lady (Conrad Stargard, #5)
  • Conrad's Quest for Rubber (Conrad Stargard, #6)
  • Lord Conrad's Crusade (Conrad Stargard, #7)
  • The Radiant Warrior Omnibus (Conrad Stargard, #1-3)
  • Conrad's Lady Omnibus (Conrad Stargard, #4-6)