Start by marking “Games” as Want to Read:
Games

Games

Published January 9th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games

Madelyn Rose
This book was fine. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. There were things that I enjoyed, and things that I didn't like too much.

Things I liked:

1. The book had a cool cover. I know the cover doesn't and shouldn't reflect my opinion on the book (and it didn't), but it was just something I enjoyed. It really reflected the book well and really expressed the rivalry in the book.

2. The book seemed pretty relatable because of the fighting because everyone (probably) develops a rivalry or
lisa
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I generally like children's and young adult books, but I go in with the expectation that they will be a cute and moderately entertaining diversion. However, when reading these genres, I find that I am often very pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters and the ingenuous, insightful telling of what can only be considered a profound story. Such was the case with this book. Games is an interesting look into the minds, perspectives, and motives of two "bullies" who enjoy nothing more than ...more
Isel
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Ruth Ellen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
It's not BAD, it was just... not really my thing.

(I also feel it was kinda misbranded? The cover felt like it was gonna be video game-y/superhero-y, and it definitely wasn't.
Ray Robinson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book about two boys who can't get along and the struggles they have at school and at home. It is surprising what you can learn about someone while playing a game.
Alex Blose
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Boot and Mick despise each other. After getting suspended a number of times and getting in trouble at school, the new principal comes up with a new solution to try and resolve the issues between the boys. Everyday for over an hour, the two boys must go to the "game room" and play board games while they are there. Crazy idea, right? Well, Mr. Maddox, the principal, thinks it is the perfect solution and he decides to give it a go.

During their time in the "game room", the boys continue to battle th
Jonathon
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The tale of two bullies, from first met to last stand, the hatred always there. Games by Carol Gorman, is a book about two enemies, Mick Sullivan and Boot Quin. They harbor feelings of hate towards each other. The book takes place mainly at the middle school Mick and Boot attend, however the setting changes throughout the story, bringing the readers to places such as Mick or Boot’s home, recreational areas such as the library or the music shop, or even Mick’s vivid imagination.
Within the story,
Karin
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Mick Sullivan and Boot Quinn have been enemies since the day they first met. They have had countless fist fights and have already been suspended once in the first month of their eighth grade year.

Mick Sullivan is big for his age which make people think he likes to fight way more than he does. Actually, Mick likes to read more than anything else. He considers the library his second home. Mick's father is constantly trying to get him to be tougher and get him involved in sports, but Mick just doe
Kelley Franco
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading children type books as an "adult" is difficult. Not because the writing is terrible or the story and characters don't work. More so because I just can't relate any more.

I read this with a boy I tutor or I probably would have never heard of it. I enjoyed reading it with him and was excited to see it spark interest and wonder in a boy who typically doesn't enjoy reading. It made him ask questions and allowed me to present questions about right/wrong, friendships, and hard family situations
Salsabrarian
It took awhile for this story to take off for me, in part because I did not find the boys' personalities distinctive enough to remember whose voice was narrating a given chapter. Fans of books told in alternating perspectives (a la "Flipped") may enjoy this one.

Mick and Boot are sworn enemies for as long as they can remember. For
some reason they just can't stand each other. It's only September 8th
and they have had two fights at school already. Instead of suspending
them again,the new principal
Brenda Thompson
Mick Sullivan likes reading thrillers, daydreaming about Tabitha Slater, and teasing his archenemy, Boot Quinn. Boot Quinn likes playing his guitar, daydreaming about Tabitha Slater, and punching his adversary, Mick Sullivan. The two eighth graders are rivals in every way, and with two fights in the first week of school, they've set the stage for a yearlong showdown. That is, until a new principal arrives on the scene and forces Mick and Boot to spend an hour and a half each day playing games to ...more
Karen Ball
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mick Sullivan and Boot Quinn have been enemies for quite some time, and now they have a new principal who believes in solving problems differently. Thus, for two periods a day, they must come to the office, and sit in a room together and play board games until they can figure out how to get along. At first, it makes them angrier, and they challenge each other to a series of dares based on the things that are most important to each of them. They also both have a crush on Tabitha, who is secretly ...more
Vivien Sarabillo
Does putting "I like happy endings" count as a spoiler?

****

I like happy endings. Even though they seem a little to mainstream, it just feels so good to end one of your page turning adventures with a smile. Games by Carol Gorman is a page turner. 'Nuff said!

(But for the sake of adding a couple more sentences into this review..)

This book shows that...(1) Some people build a facade of power (2) You should look beyond that front (3) Because little do you know, they put up that veneer because of a v
Alison
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Boys will be boys" just about sums up this book. Boot Quinn and Mick Sullivan hate, no loathe each other. Their hatred for one another started over a class project back in elementary school. Now all the boys do is call each other names and beat each other up. The new principal, Mr. Maddox, decides to have the boys play board games to learn how to get along with each other. At first, it only makes things worse especially when the boys start competing for Tabithia Slater, the hottest girl in scho ...more
Deborah
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
After a history of fighting in and out of school, a new principal decides to place the two boys in a room by themselves hoping that they will play board games, learn something about each other, and kiss and make up. Oh, brother. But guess what!! It works. At the end of the book, Mick learns that Boot is being beaten by his father when he finds the Boot hiding in school one night. He goes for help, where??? To the abusing father who explains to Boot that his own father beat him when he was a boy, ...more
Ben M.
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Games by Carol Gorman was a great book. I enjoyed reading it and once I started I could not put it down.I liked how the author took turns showing both Mick's and Boot's point of view about the many fights they have. Near the end the book took a surprising turn that led to the end of their fights. It was about two bullies who had been fighting for many years and about a principal who thinks that making them go down to the office to play games daily will fix their problems. Boot and Mick know they ...more
Dawn
Dec 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hopefuls
Boot and Quinn are enemies that just seem to fight constantly. Finally their principal makes them meet in his office every day to play board games together in an effort to try to get them to at least find out something about each other. What I love about this story is that these boys learn to tolerate one another, but they will never really get along. It is realistic in that they don't suddenly become close friends. It is a good lesson for students to see that everyone has reasons for why they r ...more
Tina
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-summer
2 bullies, 1 very cute girl and a whole school watching - leads to some very interesting meetings with the bullies. Mick - big, but very uncoordinated, prefers reading over sports. Boot - small for his age, wants to be in a rock band. After a fight at school, the new principal insists that they play board games through the noon hour with each other - unusual punishment with interesting results. Mick and Boot don't really know why they hate each other - they just do. Very good book - gives you a ...more
Lisa Nocita
Jun 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The story of two guys who constantly find themselves in conflict with each other. The new principal decides to put them into a hour of assigned ISS each day together with the objective being that they play "games" to work on cooperation and getting to know each other. The story is told in turn by each boy. Of course, predictably, they initially hate the idea and are non-cooperative, but eventually they learn more about each other and gain insight and friendship.
Janet
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Two boys who can't stop provoking each other are forced by their new principal to play games with each other each day during an in-school suspension. The forced time together breaks down barriers between the boys and they become, if not friends, at least, no longer enemies.[return][return]Will have some appeal to boys and game players. Tension in the story is mild and could have been stronger to draw the reader in more toward the stories of the two boys and their very similar families.
Jay
Feb 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I really liked that my kids said "I'm really happy we're in a good family" while they were listening to this book. I also like the idea that people can't really be enemies once they are forced to get to know each other. There are a lot of lessons about peer pressure in this book, too. It's not really for younger kids, though.
Ben
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A cool book! About two bullies and they have been fighting against each other. The new principal has decided that they are going to play games until they can get along. The games include, Scrabble, Authors (A card Game), Connect Four, Checkers, ect. I thought that this book was for kids who like realistic fiction. I would recommend this book to everyone.
B.A. Wilson
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg, ya, contemporary
This is a good story that gives you a different perspective on two bullies. These troubled boys have lots of issues and are basically enemies. They're forced to spend day after day together, playing games in a small space as punishment. . . or maybe rehab.

I really enjoyed the story. Unfortunately, the cover is awful, and that makes it harder to convince my students to read it.
jiawei Ong
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
the principal has done it again! he brings along 2bullies, who have been fighting against each other in furious battles of taunting for thousands and thousands of years, with something everybody would wish to be school work, GAMES....
Kendall
A Truman nominee for 2009-2010

Love the idea, and the switching first-person viewpoints is engaging. The acceptance that develops between the two boys is slow and therefore quite realistic. A decent read; may be read by boys who like Tangerine and similar "bad boy" tales.
Nicole
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Easy to read. A good story about 2 boys who don't get along. They both see that their disagrements weren't worth losing things that were important to them. As a teacher, it makes you remember that students come from all kinds of families and backgrounds.
Cory
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
This was another one of those books that felt to me like it was set in the 40's or 50's, but that I think was set in the present. The insults the boys slung at each other just seemed so . . . tame and odd. And their interactions with the dream-girl were also weird.
Tweller83
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book about two students who are always fighting. They get on each other's nerves. The principal makes them come into a room off his office to play board games until they can call a "truce." They never really know it but they are a lot alike. Good book about not bullying.
Rene
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Two boys who always bully and fight with each other are made to play games together every day for a week in an attempt to get along. Every other chapter is told from a different character's point of view. Good characters--I was satisfied with the conclusion.
Kathy
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Heavy, realistic. Told in alternating chapters by the boys who are forced to play Games. Dysfunctional families.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Carol Gorman is an Iowa-born writer of over 40 published books. She spent 17 years teaching in middle-school, high-school, and college classes. Her writing time has been devoted to creating mystery and suspense novels for children.

She originally aspired to be an actress, and while studying at the University of Iowa, was cast in the lead of both West Side Story and Peter Pan. In the 1980s, Carol m