Start by marking “Historischer Atlas von Mittelerde” as Want to Read:
Historischer Atlas von Mittelerde

Historischer Atlas von Mittelerde

Wollten Sie schon immer mal das Auenland besuchen? Oder gar das unwirtliche, trostlose Mordor? Oder vielleicht Lothlorien? Dann sollten Sie vor der Reise unbedingt diesen Atlas von Mittelerde studieren. Hier finden Sie alles, was ein Reisender wissen muß, der sich für die historischen Stätten und Schauplätze Mittelerdes interessiert.
Published 2004 by Klett-Cotta (first published 1981)

Manybooks
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is a fan of Middle Earth
Indeed, Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle Earth truly is one of my favourite and most treasured reference books of all time, period! For this expansive and informative "atlas" is not only a wonderful tome simply in and of itself, it is of course and naturally first and foremost primarily an enchanting and massively enlightening general companion to and important source of and for J.R.R. Tolkien's substantial oeuvre. A detailed and fascinating array of both general and specific maps are pr ...more
Shaina
If you are gonna visualize an epic quest, then it's always a good idea to see a lay of the land. I wanted to understand where they were going exactly and see it with my eyes and see the scale of miles, and how the other lands were surfaced compared to it. I love imagining , but I love having the atlas ready to look at so I can get back to reading. It keeps the image fresh in my head.
Nice maps.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
I consider this book to be an indispensable companion, along with the maps and chronology at the beginning of David Day's Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia, to any reading of The Silmarillion. It's also a very enjoyable companion to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Fonstad's scholarship is meticulous, and the book, for those who are reading or have read any of these three main works, also makes a superb stand-alone read--something unusual for an encyclopedic reference. Highly, highly re ...more
booklady
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LotR fans
An excellent reference for any Lord of the Rings fan. You could pour over this for hours ... and hours.
Ellen Trautner
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolkien
No surprise, but I loved this book. I love Tolkien and I love maps. It doesn't get much better than this!

The book is divided into three major sections, each covering one of his 3 major works: The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings. Accompanying the maps is a summary of the texts as well. I think people who have read The Silmarillion, but maybe only once or twice, and found it hard to follow, would do well to read this atlas. The summaries are good reviews, and the maps help vis
Phillip
It is hard to believe that I haven't written a review of this wonderful book. The "Atlas of Middle-earth" is one of those resources that help to open up Tolkien's work for the reader in a way that adds to one's understanding of the original works. It is helpful to have multiple maps with explanatory material there to help the reader to visualize the geography and routes of all of the major works of J.R.R. Tolkien.

She provides floor plans for Bag End, Butterburr's Inn, the Beorn residence and on
HBalikov
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you into Tolkien? Yes, are you really into Tolkien? How many times have you watched The Lord of the Rings? Not, the Peter Jackson version, but the highly controversial Ralph Bakshi version? Do you have a copy of David Day's Tolkien Bestiary? Are you competitive with Stephen Colbert's knowledge? You might be interested in Fonstad's ambitious Atlas of Middle-Earth.

She writes: "Like Bilbo, I have always loved maps (and she has a degree in cartography)...(when) I finally read The Lord of the Rin
Plant Girl
Oct 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, own
Only for the super geeky! All the multitude of maps are helpful while following the stories (includes maps for The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion) if one is so inclined to have to always know where the action is taking place. I have enjoyed it.
Veronica
Review to come
Ettore Pasquini
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien readers holding atmosphere in high regard
Really cool book with maps of Middle-Earth across time. It also facilitates understanding the changes that happened in the various Ages.

(view spoiler)
Kristen
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Pretty much the ultimate reference book for the Middle Earth Mythos. This being said,actually just reading through it was much what I imagine reading through an actual atlas is like; i.e. rather dry. Had I actually owned this book and used it as actually intended, as a refence as I read through Tolkien's works, it probably would have gotten a higher rating from me, but, as I got it from the library and had a due date, I was unable to do this and still have time to finish it, so I was forced just ...more
Michael
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a Middle-earth nut I just had to add this to my collection. It's a must-have I think now to any Tolkien fan, owing to the beautiful collection of maps it contains. It's also pretty darn good at summarizing all the stories from The Silmarillion and the First Age. As a geologist by profession I also enjoyed the technical, although never over-technical, geographical explanations and theory. I learned some good new things about the Middle-earth world also, which I'd probably skipped over or fo ...more
Charity U
August 2011 --- Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome! I totally loved this fun book. It had detailed maps of everything, inside and out, from Isengard to the Mines of Moria to Mordor. And those are just locations! Also maps showing where "The Hobbit" is in relation to "Lord of the Rings." Maps of Mirkwood, and other large things. Maps showing where each army went/was in multiple battles. Maps by vegetation, and language, and people. And lots of words too, describing what happened at each location. ...more
Liam
Well, there's nothing BAD to say about this book, and the maps themselves look great, but there's something less wonderful about it then I might have hoped. Maybe it's the fact that most of the maps are either ones known already or pretty obvious ones, like, a map of Beorn's house. It marks down the individual chairs! It looks cool, but it's not terribly interesting. The best maps were those of Arda. They left David Day's illustration from A Tolkien Bestiary in the dust. But, for the most part, ...more
Matt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly informative.

I spent a lot of time, however, poring over a couple of maps before I realized they were screwed up.

Whoops, I just revealed how much of a dork I am. I might as well admit I visited Oxford, England, with my wife and visited the Eagle and Child pub and Tolkien's grave. I didn't cry, though.
Tia
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was nice to have while reading through The Fellowship of the Ring, following along with the maps of where they all were as they traveled. Also, the dates and timelines etc. are interesting to read. Very well done!
Timothy Boyd
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wonder what all the cool the places and things in the fantasy world of Middle Earth looked like. Excellent reference book. Very recommended
Iñaki
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is just the best work that anyone could have done to complete and illustrate (Sorry, Howe and Lee) the Lord of the Rings world
Jared Cook
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
It's not perfect, but it's probably the best attempt I've seen at trying to bring it all together. Of course, the primary appeal is the maps, but the chronology is also helpful.
Jonny Parshall
Seeing the maps firsthand and up close somewhat compromises the imaginings of Tolkien's works. It is a fun addition to my collection nonetheless.
Claire
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you decide to read the Silmarillion this book makes an excellent companion for visualizing the beginnings of Arda, the Years of the Trees, and the First Age. The geography, migrations, and battles that may be a bit confusing are detailed in this book along with topography and structure details. You can find online maps of the Third Age (the time period of the Lord of the Rings) but there are some significant geographical changes to the earth that takes place and it can be difficult to fully v ...more
Lisa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent reference book for fans of J. R. R. Tolkien who want to delve deeper into the world he created in The Silmarillion, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. In addition to mapping out the many locations found in those tales, Karen Wynn Fonstad provides a concise history, floor plans of some locations (e.g. Bag End, Doriath), timelines, battle-plans, maps out area by race, climate, language etc, and suggested pathways taken by the Fellowship of the Ring and the Company of Thorin Oak ...more
Steven
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love having this with me when I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings . Fonstad has done incredible research into the geography of Middle Earth. Then again, I am fascinated with maps of all kinds, so I suppose I might be a little biased. (Wait. Me? Biased? And stating my overly biased opinions? Never.) Just ask Julietta.
Rudyard Lynch
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A interesting side piece to the Lord of the Rings. If you love Lord of the Rings, then this book is perfect for you. It contains all the details that are never mentioned in the book that you might be wondering about. It is a fairly dull read and not very well written though. If you have never read Lord of the Rings, or watched the movie, don't read this book. It contains quite a bit of arcane knowledge from the canon before you can read it.
Hypatia
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was not an exciting read in itself, but I found it really interesting. It was a great companion to the Silmarillion, which is kind of lacking in maps. As well as maps showing geographical features and cities, this also has battle plans, route maps for major journeys, and more detailed plans of cities and houses. Very interesting.
Tyler
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Fascinating companion resource to the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, and the Silmarillion. The maps and information in this atlas add a lot of visual clarity to J.R.R. Tolkien's rich descriptions of Middle-Earth.
Jane Ellen
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Atlas of Middle-Earth is vital for anyone reading Tolkien's works, especially beyond The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings. Full of detailed maps and charted journeys, Atlas is both a practical and precious treasure.
Vicki
Good to have if you are reading something like "The Silmarillion" and have problems picturing where things are going on.
Larry
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By itself, this book is a little dry, but it would serve as a great accompaniment to any Tolkien novel.
MacNeil Fernandes
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
A great reference while reading Tolkien's works.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Polish Edition of Atlas of Middle Earth 3 13 Mar 05, 2018 08:41AM
Tolkien's T.C.B.S: Maps of Middle-Earth 3 16 May 09, 2013 09:21AM

• The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Shaping of Middle-Earth (The History of Middle-Earth, #4)
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies

Karen Wynn Fonstad, née Wynn (April 18, 1945 - March 11, 2005) was the author of several atlases of fictional worlds.

Born Karen Lea Wynn in Oklahoma City to parents James and Estis Wynn, she graduated from Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma, and then earned a B.S. degree in Physical Therapy and an M.A. in Geography, specializing in cartography, from the University of Oklahoma.

While attending t