Start by marking “River Way Home” as Want to Read:
River Way Home

River Way Home

A boy, Halkeno, waits in a small orphanage in Beira, Mozambique for someone to find him. A successful Iowa businessman realizes there’s a space in his life and goes off searching to fill it. Amazingly, the boy and the man meet and life is very happy for a time. But they never see the tragedy moving toward them and suddenly Halkeno is on his own again. This story of fathers ...more
Published December 8th 2012 by Createspace (first published December 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about River Way Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Way Home

Start your review of River Way Home
Christie Hagerman
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Told in the voice and style of an African folk legend, the words float through the air like a tale told 'round the bonfire. This story is a family history passed from father to son, recounting the more recent generations that brought them to the present. No pages are wasted on superfluous babble, but in true man-to-man form, the father gives just the right amount of detail to his child about each family member mentioned.

Like looking down from an airplane on the curves of a mighty river, the stor
Elyse  Walters
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
To be honest ---I'm being generous with 2 stars. Its not that this isn't a touching story --
but the book is so poorly written (and I can't write myself), that as a reader, I can't 'feel' much.

Its just details after details --with no writing style (no unfolding) --

I think this story may have been a better magazine article --or maybe a shorter blog.

Also--the story had too much 'GOD TALK' for my taste.

The main character slept in a room in a Lutheran's Church for a 'year' (a private prayer room) -
Jason Wellnitz
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Two recent great reviews from Amazon:

5.0 out of 5 stars
Refreshing, Moving, Memorable
December 13, 2012

I sat down to read this thinking I would just skim a little and check it out. By the 2nd chapter I was so interested in the story and before I knew it, found myself at the end, in tears, wishing it would continue!

The way the author wove faith into this work is refreshing. It is moving in a way that speaks to some of my deepest longings, questions, and doubts about God.

I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 s
Donna
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read
I received this book as a First Read and I can't honestly say that I found it particularly interesting or memorable. The story is full of random details that do nothing to enhance the story line. The writing was very poor with errors that could easily have been corrected with better proof reading. Examples include: 'To Harold, starting an orphanage from scratch in a country where you'd didn't speak the language...' and 'He swung his hand back and connected the handle of the machete with my templ ...more
Nina
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book, signed by the author, through Godreads Giveaway.

The story of Halkeno, along with his faith and perseverance, touched me. I enjoyed knowing about Harold's life and the events that lead him to get married and become Halkeno's father.
However, I found the book too short. I missed having more details about Halkeno's story (thoughts, struggles and accomplishments, for example) after he left Mozambique.

PS I would also want to highlight the author's admirable initia
Sabrina
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.

I felt the narrator was inconsistent in tone and found this to be terribly distracting. There was a lack of character development and the story suffered as a result. I had hoped to find this book deeply moving but simply couldn't.
Rosie Amber
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a deep story that pulls at your heart strings. The story of an orphan and how he meets two wonderful parents. Then they are tragically taken from him. He battles with what he has been taught about God and makes his own life. He tells us the full tale of his life as it flows down the river.
S.E. Nelson
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very touching and well narrated story of unlikely encounters, love, faith, tragedy and triumph. It is written like a conversation, which translates well to the listener, but in some cases it needs more work. I would still recommend it for the storyline alone.
Alison
Jan 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: africa, adoption
kindle 76 (short book)
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Very interesting story yet it needs a lot of improvements.
Sally
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great story of adoption and of great tragedy mixed with hope. I enjoyed this short novel and would recommend you read it.
Valerie
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy to read, great story. Well worth the read.
Oct 02, 2013
Feb 27, 2013
Nancy DeValve
Jan 17, 2016
Florencia
rated it did not like it
Jan 02, 2015
Faith Slagell
Jun 07, 2014
Alyssa
Jan 28, 2013
Jason Wellnitz is from Iowa. He was born in Waterloo and lives down the road in Cedar Rapids with his wife and three children. He’s spent time in Chicago, Seattle, Oklahoma, Brazil, and Mozambique. In his spare time he builds computers that fly airplanes.

News & Interviews