Start by marking “The Complete Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
The Complete Fairy Tales

The Complete Fairy Tales

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  9,985 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews
The Complete Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde includes the two definitive story collections The Happy Prince and Other Tales (1888) and A House of Pomegranates (1891). This volume collects exquisite and poignant tales of true beauty, selfless love, generosity, loyalty, brilliant wit, and moral aestheticism, such as "The Birthday of the Infanta," "The Selfish Giant," The Nighting ...more
Published February 13th 2007 by Norilana Books (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Fairy Tales

Ruth
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I came upon it in my grandmother's library when I was a kid. Read it furtively, convinced it was dangerous stuff. Read it compulsively, swept away.
Ana Rînceanu
The Happy Prince and Other Tales

The Happy Prince - a swallow who was left behind after his flock flew off to Egypt for the winter, meets the statue of the late "Happy Prince" (4 stars)

The Nightingale and the Rose - a nightingale overhears a student complaining that his professor's daughter will not dance with him, as he is unable to give her a red rose (4 stars)

The Selfish Giant the Selfish Giant owns a beautiful garden which has 12 peach trees and lovely fragrant flowers, in which children love
Arun Divakar
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that I have been waiting to read for a while now for two reasons. The first is the need to read up on fairy tales from across the World. This was one of those interests that was forever doomed to be in the attic of my mind. I would glance at my wish list and keep the fairy tales aside for just one more time. So finally I mustered up enough resolve and got this book to read. The second reason was that I hadn’t read anything by Oscar Wilde yet and thought of starting from here. It c ...more
Sophie VERStand
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: klassiker
Bisher habe ich mich ja erfolgreich um Oscar Wildes Werke herummanövriert, dabei fiel mein Interesse schon recht früh auf seine Geschichten. Der "Dorian Gray" ist leider nach wie vor ungelesen, kam mir aber als stilistische Adonis-Narziss-Mischung bereits in Aufsätzen vor.
Wildes "Märchen" sind öfter eher Parabeln, Fabeln und traurige Kurzgeschichten mit märchenhaften Elementen. Die Metaphern sind angepasst-überbordernd, manchmal arg kitschig, aber trotzdem treffend und passend für diese merkwürd
Angela
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The Selfish Giant" and "The Happiest Prince" are some of the best stories ever written. Poor, tortured Oscar Wilde--how did he turn out such beautiful stuff??? A beautiful soul in a tormented body perhaps. I love these stories--everyone should read them multiple times.
PurplyCookie
This collection comprises both the Happy Prince compilation and the House of Pomegranates compilation of Oscar Wilde's short stories. I suppose this wonderful collection has been buried so long because of Wilde's sexual orientation. That's so sad because it means that millions of children growing up over the past several decades have missed experiencing these tales. I'm glad to see that the collection is back in print and have finally found it in my local bookstore.

The "Complete Fairy Tales of O
David Edmonds
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I'll admit up front that I've never read anything by Oscar Wilde before now, and I think that I'm sorry that I've waited this long. I thoroughly enjoyed his fairy tales, and even found myself underlining multiple passages in the book for future reference. I felt that his insight into life and love and all the joy and troubles that come with both was quite remarkable and still very relevant for our time, even though these stories were written over 100 years ago. I'm sure that if I were more verse ...more
Jenna
I remember when I was a kid The Happy Prince was my least favourite fairy tale. It is just so bleak and depressing. This audiobook provided my first experience of Oscar Wilde's other fairy tales and yep, bleak and depressing is the theme for all of them. I don't think there's one with a happy ending. It got a bit much by the end of the book, frankly. Of course, the writing is exquisite and the pairings of some of the narrators - most especially Judy Dench, Joanna Lumley and Jeremy Irons - was di ...more
Heidi
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sensitive souls
It's sometimes hard to read--you can almost see Oscar Wilde mentally beating himself up while he's writing some of these stories, particularly when he writes about beauty. He wrote some of these while in prison, after all. But they're beautiful stories, and my favorite has always been The Happy Prince. Never fails to make me cry.
Doug
Aug 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, classics
What I learned:
I have been in a fit of deliberation as to how I would rate these tales. I am ashamed to say that I first wanted to give this five stars for the mere magnificence of the author. I say ashamed because ever since the preface of The Picture of Dorian Gray, I have shared a belief that, although an artist cannot ever create a piece of art without putting his or her self into it, each piece of art can and should only ever be criticized for the ideas it has been loaned. I have thankfully
Sher
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a precious collection of some of OW's best stories. I certainly could not call myself a fan of Wilde's political views, but the man sure could write!! I only knew two of these stories before reading the book. "The Happy Prince" is a tender story of love, devotion and loyalty. I remember reading it, or having it read to me, when I was very young. And one of my all time favorites stories, "The Selfish Giant" just doesn't get old. I get the chills every time I read it. Now I have several ot ...more
Frahorus
In questa raccolta troviamo solo quattro racconti di Oscar Wilde, mentre il resto sono delle fiabe (cosa inedita di Wilde che non conoscevo).
Lo stile di Wilde resta ai massimi livelli, e i primi due racconti (Il delitto di Lord Arthur Savile e Il fantasma di Canterville), soprattutto il secondo, mi sono piaciuti sia per l'ironia che per lo stile dell'autore. Il resto nella media. Le fiabe, si vede, hanno una forte influenza dalla lettura dell'autore de Le mille e una notte.
Holly
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: want-to-own
I love Oscar Wilde. I love the stories he tells and the way he tells them. This version of his fairy tales in particular I am completely in love with because the illustrations are so beautiful. And I am pretty much 100% comfortable saying that Wilde would love them, too.
Petra
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these tales. Each is a credit to the wonderful and dark mind of Oscar Wilde. Although each tale is "typical" in the fairy tale style, Oscar Wilde has added his particular style and flair to them. Slightly off the norm, with a twist of dark.
Chrstina Scholtz
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for fairy tales. New fairy tales, never heard before - double the pleasure.

Any author that can write "The Happy Prince" or the "The Selfish Giant" with as much feeling as any of he's famous poems demands respect.

By far my favourite was the Nightingale and the rose.
Emma
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, fiction
Love love love! Very, very depressing though. It you want a cute story, don't turn to this. The cutest sounding one in the book is "The Nightingale and the Rose", and guess what: The Nightingale ends up dieing in the end. Such good stories, but be prepared.
Vilja / Kirjaneito
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, sadut
Todella koskettavia, haikeita ja julmiakin satuja. Oscar Wilden kirjoitus on edelleenkin jumalaista (huomaatteko, kuinka adjektiivini muuttuvat aina vain ylistävämmiksi?) ja satujen lukeminen on yksinkertaisesti nautintoa. Ironiaakaan ei näistä Wilden tyyliin puutu. Suosittelen lämpimästi!
La
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Best fairy tales ever...just perfect and thoughtful and glorious and irreverent and sad and clever.
C
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My very favorite is "The Happy Prince". Such love and compassion!
Fairynee
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buku-anak
Buku ini terdiri dari sembilan cerita yang berjudul:

Pangeran yang selalu Bahagia
Burung layang-layang itu terbang kembali ke Pangeran yang selalu Bahagia itu, dan melaporkan apa yang telah dikerjakannya. “Aneh sekali,” katanya, “rasanya udara lebih hangat sekarang, meskipun dingin sekali.”
“Karena kau telah berbuat baik,” kata Pangeran. Dan burung layang-layang kecil itu termenung.(Hal.9)

Raksasa yang Egois
Raksasa itu akhirnya mengerti, tawa ceria kanak-kanaklah yang memperindah kebunnya yang luas.
Kenneth
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed these stories.
Kelly
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Oscar Wilde offended Victorian society by producing works of social mockery, aside from living a scandalous life. Although Wilde's fairy tales were intended for a young audience, they contain social overtones that most children would not understand, but that are meant to project a higher social ethic upon later generations. The criticism of the Victorian society in Wilde's fairy tales is apparent in the parallels between the situations he imagines and real-life situations, and also in the high ...more
Ana A
May 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
1. The Happy Prince ★★★★★
12/28/15: It was lovely! Heartwarming, sad, yet still had some funny moments.

2. The Nightingale and the Rose ★★★★☆
1/2/16: What the heck. I can't believe the ending! (view spoiler) Ugh, I'm so irritated. But it's still mostly beautifully written, though.

3. The Selfish Giant ★★★★★
1/13/16: I was anticipating Wilde's
Adriana
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4,5 Stars*

Recensione sul BLOG: http://tra-le-pagine-dei-libri.blogsp...

Oscar Wilde mi conquistò tempo fa con Il Ritratto di Dorian Gray e da allora la mia ossessione è solo cresciuta maggiormente.
Il libro è una raccolta di tutti i suoi brevi racconti o meglio dire fiabe.
I personaggi sono sia reali, sia fantastici: giganti, animali che parlano, principi, fantasmi.
Ogni storia ha il compito di insegnare qualcosa, infatti è proprio lo scopo dell'autore: insegnare una morale di vita.
Di questi avevo
Tina
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it was recommended by a friend with wonderful taste. I definitely loved the stories, somehow Wilde's style lends itself to this type of story where the symbolism and descriptions have to carry the meaning behind the tales. They were definitely interesting stories that sometimes made me wonder if I was taking them too seriously (I can imagine Wilde sitting back and smirking to himself as he wrote them. . . )

Anyway, one story about an obnoxious rocket bragging to all the o
Ryan
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose that Wilde's tales are "fairy" tales. Animals talk, there are mermaids and princesses, and magical things happen. In Wilde's tales, however, the animals are often sarcastically silly (in a way that doesn't easily translate to disney-fication, I hope), and they mock the behaviors of humans. The mermaids cause men to give up their souls, the princesses break the hearts of those who love them and the magical is really more miraculous. The themes are more clearly religious - or perhaps I m ...more
Elena
Dec 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
I might be very boring and predictable, but hey, it's obvious: I mainly remember "The Happy Prince" and "The Selfish Giant" among all the stories. Which is why I didn't click all the 5 stars, I guess (shame on me). I must be honest and say that even nowadays - and long gone are the childhood days - I end up crying whenever I read these two stories. Wilde was a great character as well as a writer, so modern they couldn't understand him at his times, but here he seems to be sitting back, relax, ta ...more
Agnes
“Co lidé považují za stín těla, to není stín těla, ale tělo jeho duše. Postav se zády k měsíci na mořský břeh, od obrysu chodidel odřízni svůj stín, kterýž je tělem tvé duše, a požádej svou duši, aby tě opustila, a ona tě opustí.”

“Jaképak trápení nad hříšnými skutky? Cožpak chutná jídla nejsou stvořena pro jedlíky? Je snad v lahodných nápojích jed? Přestaň se trápit a pojď se mnou do dalšího města.”
Lenny Husen
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Oscar Wilde. These stories are heartbreaking, every single one pretty much, but beyond marvelous. Eerie, haunting, and so unique. I read this in the 1990's I think, but had a record of an abridged version of the Happy Prince that I listened to over and over as a child. That is my favorite of these tales.
Any fan of OW needs to own this, and I am a big fan.
Basma Hesham
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
These are adult-ish fairytales, as Wilde stated himself: "it's partly for children, and partly for those who have kept the childlike faculties of wonder and joy."

Some stories appear as innocent as it can get, while in fact they have the darkest backgrounds. I certainly loved the sophistication of that.
Around the Year i...: The Complete Fairy Tales, by Oscar Wilde 1 18 Dec 28, 2015 08:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine kindle editions? 2 13 Oct 26, 2015 10:09PM
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Russian Fairy Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • The Yellow Fairy Book
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella & Other Classic Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
  • The Blue Fairy Book
  • Folktales from India
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Fairy Tales Of Wilhelm Hauff
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“Love is not fashionable anymore; the poets have killed it.” 51 likes