Start by marking “Terra Incognita (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #2)” as Want to Read:
Terra Incognita (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #2)

Terra Incognita

(Medicus Investigation #2)

Army doctor Gaius Petreius Ruso strikes out for the uncivilized borders of Roman Britain in this highly anticipated sequel to Ruth Downie’s New York Times bestselling debut.

It is spring in the year 118, and Gaius Petreius Ruso has been stationed in the Roman-occupied province of Britannia for nearly a year. After his long and reluctant investigation of the murders of a
Published March 4th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Terra Incognita, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terra Incognita

Emelia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book and a quick read.
It is the story of a Roman medicus and his "servant" Tilla. Ruso, the Roman doctor, finds himself in the middle of a murder when he is taking his servant back to her Brigante village and hopefully to see her father again. On the way they stop at an Inn and Tilla goes outside during a storm to check on a woman whose baby she has just delivered. Then all hell breaks loose as Tilla comes face to face with, who she believes, is the Great Horned God Cernunnos !

Ru
Terence
Jul 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/historical fiction fans
Terra Incognita is the second installment in Downie’s series about the hapless legionary physician Gaius Petreius Ruso and his slave, the British Tilla (aka Darlughdacha). This time he’s traveling north to Hadrian’s Wall with a cohort of the XX Legion; as it happens, he’s also heading into Tilla’s homeland, whose natives are being incited to revolt by the Stag Man. An accident strands Ruso at the border fort of Coria for several days, and he’s asked to write a pro forma postmortem for the garris ...more
Bettie☯
MANY MILES SOUTH of Coria, Ruso gathered both reins in his left hand, reached down into the saddlebag, and took out the pie he had saved from last night.

fraudio> rosado mp3>
series
hist fic> ancient hist> roman> britain
medical

Narrated by Simon Vance

From wiki: Coria was a fort and town, located 2.5 miles (4.0 km) south of Hadrian's Wall, in the Roman province of Britannia. Its full Latin name is uncertain. Today it is known as Corchester or Corbridge Roman Site, adjoining Corbridge
Assaph Mehr
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ruso continues his contract as a medic with the 20th legion, this time up on the northern border. Between wild barbarians, jumpy centurions, and his shady housekeeper, he gets dragged again into solving murders.

What to Expect

The novel is set Britannia at the start of Hadrian's reign. Ruso is always reluctant to look at those murder (he's a doctor, dammit, not an investigator!) but since no one else would he feels obliged. Things naturally become much more complicated than anyone expects, and Rus
Blaine DeSantis
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Second book in this series and this time we follow Medicus Ruso to the hinterlands of Britain, as he asked to transfer from the setting in the first book to this remote area. Why? To get away from some of the issues he was involved in at Deva and also to please his housekeeper Tilla who is from this area.
It does not take Ruso long to get embroiled in a murder of a Roman Legionnaire and other issues. Ruso is the proverbial reluctant hero, as he always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong t
Chris
What I really like about this series is the wonderful sense of humor and characterization that Downie layers these books with. Honestly, the mystery is rather simple, but it is like one of those Masterpiece Theatre things. Nice and funny. Comforting and totally enjoyable. One of those books were it seems the author liked writing and is happy people are reading it.
Kathy Davie
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Second in the ancient Roman mystery series, Gaius Petreius Ruso, Terra Incognita has Medicus Ruso and Tilla marching North with the Twentieth Legion due to unrest on the border. Ruso has volunteered for this mission primarily to give Tilla the chance to reconnect with family---a very disheartening reunion involving betrayal within betrayal and revolutionary plotting.

Ruso finds himself under siege on several fronts: a soldier has been ritually murdered; Tilla is not allowed into the fort proper a
Margaret Metz
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm awaiting the fourth novel, which I won in a contest, and so I thought I would read the first one and see about "catching up" on the series before I read the one I'd won. I'm so glad I did. These are really well written historical novels that manage to capture the essence of the time period without sacrificing the character of any of the people involved.

These are secular novels, but they are fairly clean. I have to say fairly because that time period included things that many people would fin
Ruth
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-historical
c2008. Why these books have not yet been adapted for a TV series, I do not know. The story is certainly character driven as the "crime" is not unsolvable for the reader but chugs on to a satisfying conclusion. But the background and the characters are most definitely the stars. As ever, when a book starts to make me shout at the characters, then I know it is doing its job. I wanted to shake Russo when he was so offhand and suspicious of Tilla's gift. And I was still thinking about it sometime af ...more
Valorie
May 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ancient-rome, mystery
Title: Terra Incognita
Author(s): Ruth Downie
Genre: Fiction - Historical, Fiction - Mystery
Finished: May 10, 2009
Rating: 5 Stars

In Terra Incognita, Medicus Ruso and his housekeeper Tilla travel from Deva with the Twentieth Legion to join the Tenth Batavians in Coria, which is located just at the British boardlands and has little else for Ruso but good wine and trouble. Once there, Ruso finds himself involved in another murder investigation. This one involves a dead trumpeter by the name of Felix
Ben Kane
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having greatly enjoyed the first book in this series, I felt compelled to move on to the second. *mild spoilers ahead* The story takes up the story of Ruso, a somewhat hapless surgeon with the Twentieth Legion in Deva (modern-day Chester). Sent north with a patrol, he finds himself in an outpost manned by auxiliaries and beset by rumours of tribal uprisings. The area happens to be the homeground of Tilla, his slave and now lover. As Ruso tries to come to grips with the injured soldiers and mad d ...more
D.G.
**3.5 stars**

I don't know why I keep liking the books so much. Yes, there is humor but it's subtle and understated. The mysteries are decent but not crazy and unbelievable. It's just a combination of a solid plot, some humor and the main character, who is so noble but trying to hide it. He makes it seem as if doing the right thing is a chore but always comes true at the end.

The romance aspect is a bit of a mystery because the reader has almost no clue as the feelings of Tilla, Ruso's lover. Is s
April
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this story for the actual mystery, the history and the characters but the real gem in this and the first book is the interaction between Tilla and Ruso. They aren't truly a couple but just like paired people everywhere, they have NO IDEA what the other one is thinking at any given time and end up completely misunderstanding each other on a regular basis.

The author uses this as sort of a levity inducing prop that keeps the story from being too dark and grim. And the story is a bi
Jamie Collins
I enjoyed this second book from Ruth Downie, a historical mystery set in Roman Britain at the beginning of Hadrian's reign. It picks up immediately after the events in the first book, where army physician Guius Petreius Ruso acquired an unwanted reputation for investigating suspicious deaths.

Ruso has obligingly moved to a more northerly posting, where the natives are restless, so that his own personal Briton can visit what's left of her homeland. He finds there an infirmary not up to his standar
Sjo
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
This is a disapointing follow up to Ruth Downie's debut Medicus where she managed to create a fascinating Roman era Britain, complete with a character Gaius Ruso, who is either a nosy Roman military doctor, or Quincy in a toga. Unfortunatley, in the second installment, she pursues a side story involving Ruso's barbarian love interest Tilla, and we delve into too many barbarian / tribal type cliches when Ruso heads into hostile territory to find her. Yes, they wear fur, dance at the moon, are hon ...more
Helen Hollick
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ruso and Tilla are absolute delights. Ruth Downie has created a wonderfully witty, engrossing series that will have her readers turning the pages to discover not only who the murderer is, but also laughing at the delicious humour. But don’t be deceived by the wit, Ms Downie knows her stuff as far as the detail and the facts behind the fiction go.

This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Yune
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ruso volunteers to serve a temporary assignment up north, where his slave Tilla's home lies, to duck out of the public eye for a while. I was neutral about this idea at first, and soon grew disappointed. Downie doesn't have the deft touch with cultural misunderstandings that, say, Gillian Bradshaw has (see: The Island of Ghosts for a story about Rome-occupied Britain, from the perspective of a conquered Sarmatian). The British here seem to speak in a stilted manner, are presented as superstitiou ...more
Pamela
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruso, a Roman army doctor or medicus, is posted to the North of Britain. On his arrival, he finds that a soldier has been killed, and the current doctor is determined to confess to the murder. Inside the fort, Ruso is tasked with sorting out the infirmary, while outside the local natives are thought to be plotting a rebellion. Against his better judgement, Ruso is dragged in to investigating the murder.

Enjoyable story - the plot is quite straightforward and the initial mystery often gets lost in
J.R.
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaius Petreius Ruso, a divorced army doctor attempting to sort out family debts and his personal life, volunteers for temporary duty on a northern outpost in Roman Britain. In addition to a change of scenery, Ruso sought to bring his housekeeper/slave Tilla back to her home village.

En route to the posting, an act of sabotage seriously injures a soldier. Thessalus, the resident medic, is under guard as a madman and claims to have murdered another soldier. Ruso is asked to temporarily fill in unti
Serene
Apr 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the last one I am going to read. While I like elements of the series, the character Tilla really annoys me. She is really unbelievable. While I'm sure slaves grew to have trusted places in their master's households, I just don't find her relationship with the medical officer in the army that believeable. I also still feel the series feels too modern for me. The main character's values seem like those of a modern guy.

I also liked the character of Thessalus. He was an interesting characte
Rebecca Huston
A very enjoyable book in the series. This time Ruso and Tilla head north to the outposts along Hadrian's Wall (at least, where it will be). A missing head, a runaway wagon, unhappy natives, beer and brewing and the mysterious Gathering all play a part in this one. Those who like a good stir of humour in their stories should enjoy this one. Four stars overall and recommended.

To read the longer review, please go here:
Dawn
I like the idea of this series more than I'm liking the books themselves. Ruso's persistent ineptness when it comes to women is tiresome and Tilla's stubbornness, deceit and willful ignorance can be monotonous.
I love the setting, especially in this book, at Hadrian's Wall. The descriptiveness that the author brings to her writing in regards to the people and places is wonderful and in my opinion, is the stories saving grace.
This was a good mystery set in Roman Britian with characters that coul
Leah
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
I love the setting for these books - Roman Britain, so interesting! - and the characters are interesting, the pace light and breezy, but I have to say I'm not real moved by the actual writing. This was worth reading, but I didn't ever feel super compelled to pick it up - kinda had to slog through it. Still, though, it gives you a god feeling for what things were (maybe) like, and I love that!
Dolphe
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed "Medicus" the first in the series of these novels, I was wary of continuing to read the whole series. "Terra Incognita" changed my mind. The second novel fleshes out the characters far more (which is to be expected I presume). As a big fan of Steven Saylor's work, I looked to Ruth Downie as a possible complement and I would say I have found it.
Ken Cartisano
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. To those unfamiliar with the writer or the series, I suggest you start with the first book in the series, The Medicus. I started them out of order, and it ruins a few of the surprises from the earlier books, even still, each book stands alone as an excellent story.
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm really enjoying this series. Another review described the protagonist as "hapless," and that about covers it. He's a good doctor, but he just stumbles around in a fog otherwise. Very entertaining.
Dfunky1
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The characters are three-dimensional and the story intriguing. This text is delightful within its genre of historical mysteries.
Baelor
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Downie's second book about Gaius Petreius Ruso did not disappoint. In fact, it improved upon the first in many ways. While Downie's prose remains largely unchanged (and solid), her plotting and characterization have improved.

Perhaps the biggest accomplishment of the novel is Downie's ability to use the central mystery as a way to explore cultures and motivations. The premise is that Felix the trumpeter has been murdered in an alley of Coria, a small town built around a Roman fort at the edge of
Lawrence
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
What caught my interest was the description of this as a murder investigation in second century A.D. At the edge of the Roman Empire. The main characters are Gaius Petreius Ruso, doctor with the 20th Roman Legion, and his slave housekeeper, Tilla. Ruso arrives in the Roman outpost of Coria, at the farthest edge of Rome's reach in Britain, the afternoon after the murder of a soldier stationed there.
Ruso is told by the local prefect the murder has been solved, and soldiers have only to capture th
Andrew Doohan
A great yarn and wonderful mystery are encapsulated in the story of the medicus Gaius Petreius Ruso on the very boundaries of the Roman Empire in northern Brittania. With murder and mayhem, intrigue and personal danger to be faced, Ruso fumbles his way towards unravelling what he confronts, all the while managing to keep his head at just the right level about the parapet.

In this second volume of the series, we see the continued development of the characters we met in the first, characters who th
  • Alexandria (Marcus Didius Falco, #19)
  • The House of the Vestals (Roma Sub Rosa, #6)
  • Nobody Loves a Centurion (SPQR, #6)
  • Ovid (Marcus Corvinus, #1)
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
  • The Germanicus Mosaic (Libertus Mystery of Roman Britain, #1)
Ruth is the author of eight mysteries* featuring Roman Army medic Gaius Petreius Ruso and his British partner Tilla. The latest is MEMENTO MORI. She lives in Devon, England, and is married with two grown-up sons. A combination of nosiness and a childish fascination with mud means she is never happier than when wielding an archaeological trowel.

She is sometimes called R.S. Downie, but she isn't th

Medicus Investigation (8 books)
  • Medicus (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #1)
  • Persona Non Grata (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #3)
  • Caveat Emptor (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #4)
  • Semper Fidelis (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #5)
  • Tabula Rasa (Gaius Petreius Ruso, #6)
  • Vita Brevis (Medicus Investigation #7)
  • Memento Mori (Medicus Investigation #8)
“One of the many difficult things about women was that they tended to pick the most unsuitable times to tell you something they considered to be important, and then became irrationally upset when you failed to remember it.” 15 likes
“I seem to remember sitting on a golden bench, and she started chattering about the sunset, or something. She seemed quite happy so I let her get on with it. Then she got hold of my hand and asked me what I was thinking about. So I said, "The treatment of anal fistulae".” 8 likes