Start by marking “Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew” as Want to Read:
Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew

Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  1,868 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Winner of an iParenting Media Award and Honorable Mention in the 2005 ForeWord Book of the Year Awards! Every parent, teacher, social worker, therapist, and physician should have this succinct and informative book in their back pocket. Framed with both humor and compassion, the book defines the top ten characteristics that illuminate the minds and hearts of children with a ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Future Horizons

Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
This is the best book on autism I have read, and I have read a lot. It helped me to understand more of what my own child was thinking, his limitations and his abilities. I would recommend this book to anyone who is curious, knows someone with autism or has a child with autism or just cares. It changed my life and I have given it to so many other people. It isn't full of theories and conspiracies and technical terms, it is full of understanding and compassion.
Gavin Bollard
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This is quite an unusual book. It's not a practical guide to handling day to day issues with Autism, nor is it a dry clinical description of Autism.  It's essentially a book promoting a new paradigm, (a whole new outlook) on Autism. It provides you with an understanding of some key positive concepts and then goes on to show how they can be put into practical use on a daily basis.

I feel that this book could be better described with the considerably less catchy title of;  Ten concepts which your f
Alfred Haplo
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
To some very special, spunky kids - Z1, I and C. A letter to you.

Thank you for letting me into your world. At first, I wasn’t quite sure if you were so deep into your thoughts, that I did not exist. Or that you knew I was around but preferred silence. Since your mum or dad needs to run errands sometimes, so it’s me you have to play with. Or, rather, I have to figure out how to play with you.

Forgive me for being such a klutz when we play. Often, I feel like a bull in the china shop when I am ar
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book really is amazingly good. It is easy to read and also informative. If you are not familiar with autism, you will learn about a lot of the basic information and if you know someone with autism it may truly help you to understand them just a little bit better. I took a number of notes as I was reading and as soon as I finished the book I thought to myself how it would be a good book to re-read again in the future.

I enjoyed the perspective this book was written from. The author is the par
Ari Reavis
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great source of knowledge and understanding. It was mostly about acceptance, unconditional love, and instilling a can-do attitude in both yourself and your child with autism. Definitely made me more aware of certain aspects of autism and ways I can help my child reach their potential.
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is written by a mom who has a child with ADHD and a child with autism. She was determined to figure out how to help her son achieve his full potential and become successful. She talks about the ups and downs, but they have already had many triumphal moments. She figured out what things her son could not cope with and attempted to eliminate prolonged exposure to these things. She talked about his need for a schedule and his need to know what was going to happen next. Structure seemed to ...more
Melissa Wilson
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
1) Do not let Autism limit what I can try.
2) Remember my sensory issues. My bad behavior might be because I am feeling sensitive to something.
3) Distinguish between won't and can't. I will not respond to commands issued from the other room because I can't.
4) I am very literal and will not understand idioms, puns, inferences, etc.
5) Be patient with my limited vocabulary and echolalia.
6) I am very visually oriented. Pictures help me understand a LOT!
7) Focus on what I can do, rather than what I ca
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books for parents with an autistic child. This book not only helped me understand my son better but left me feeling hopeful for the future.
Dennis Wood
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My sister-in-law recommends some good reading and I have to say, THIS book provides terrific insights as to how we all can communicate better with the children in our lives. While the book is primarily intended to help families and teachers better understand how children somewhere on the Autism Spectrum or Aspergers need us to communicate, I find myself rethinking my approach on communication with everyone. A simple phrase like: "It's raining cats and dogs" can leave a LOT to the imagination. Wh ...more
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a grandma and my grandson was just diagnosed. What an eye opener this book was. Well written and easy to understand and from the perspective of those living with ASD.
Carrie Mallon
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
'The greatest tragedy that can befall a child with autism is to be surrounded by adults who think it's a tragedy.'

Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry library copy: I dogeared a lot of pages! This was very easy to read and so practical. Notbohm's early essay is in the 100 Day Handbook from Autism Speaks and she wrote an entire book.

My favorite takeaway is how important it is--for our own mindsets, for how we speak to our children, for how we portray them to the wider world--to start with their strengths and to find the positives in their child's challenges. For example, tonight: my son with autism was passionately researching Gordon Ram
Michele Lee
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every parent or person dealing with an autistic person
Recommended to Michele by: my husband
Shelves: ece-disabilities
This book reads easy and fast and it should be handed out to every parent whose child is diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum. It can change the perceptions of anyone--family, friend, educator or counselor--who is face with the baffling behavior of an autistic child. I cannot impress just how much this slim volume can help.
The core beliefs in 10 Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew are:
-All behaviors happen for a reason.
-All behavior is communication.
The focus is on presenting (not
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: autism, 2010
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow there were so many things that I learned from this book, and quite a few that pertain to all children and parents when it comes to living a good life and helping our kids be all they can be. I did have a hard time not feeling guilty at how positive the author says she was from the start of her son's diagnosis. I am trying, and hopefully I will get to where she is at some point. I think one of the things I liked the most is when she talks about not dwelling on what you don't have.

She states "
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This was given to me this Christmas from my sister-in-law whose son (my nephew) is on the autism spectrum. For anyone unfamiliar with the diagnosis, it's a great primer. The author offers, obviously, ten things that will help with interacting and understanding kids with autism. I learned some helpful tidbits that have certainly increased my understanding in regards to my nephew, but also in regards to my high school students who may be on the spectrum.

Very easy to read - she does a pretty good
Mar 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
For a parent of a child with asperger's I think this was a great read. It was very much from the childs point of view even though it is written from a mother. I think all teachers should read this book! Wether or not they are primarily with kids with an autism spectrum disorder or not. I'm glad this book was recommended to me and I'm glad I read it! Everything I read makes me think twice about what I say and how I act with my son since it is internalized differently with him! And I wholey agree ...more
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd read this earlier, but I'm glad I found it still relatively early in our journey. I'd recommend anyone who even knows one person with autism read this and I'd even venture to bet that any parent who reads this will want to buy every copy they can get their hands on to share with family, friends and educators.
Kris Springer
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice for parents and people who work with children with autism. In fact, I found this a book useful for parenting any child, really--accepting them for who they are, working with the child you have, and loving them for their gifts. Very uplifting and practical too, from the mother of a child (who's now an adult) with autism.
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a parent every single parent should read while taking notes whether their child is on the spectrum or not. No two children, including so-called normal ones, are alike, and there are ideas and viewpoints each one of us needs to consider. Because that is how we will help each child succeed to their fullest potential.
Aderian Blocker
I loved this book! The author had the same view point on everything as me, for the most part. This book helped me as a starting off point in my research on different treatments and most importantly it helped me to remember to try to see things through my son's eyes. Great book!!!!!!
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
EVERYBODY should read this book!!!!!
Nancy Byrne
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Insightful, helpful, great for parents of newly diagnosed.
Rhonda McKnight
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great learnings in this book.
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Informative and enjoyable!
Lois Thomas
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of info in it for people that are dealing with a new diagnosis on the Autism spectrum.
Everyone should read this book, whether you're exposed to those living with autism or not.
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This should be required reading for everyone. It's a quick read at 108 pages and gives really good insight into what different types of kids are dealing with. With ASD being so common these days, even if you don't have anyone in your family or close circle of friends living with this, you will soon and it's better to have the knowledge before you meet them so you can respond with not just compassion, but a deeper understanding. This is a great introduction that makes me want to learn more. She w ...more
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a concise, readable, and very practical book for anyone wanting to get a better grasp of what the world around us looks like to the child with autism. It is optimistic but deals with reality ... and it has tips and approaches that make sense.
I'm so glad I came across it in my desire to understand my two grandchildren with high functioning, autism.
Amy Dukeshire
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want everyone to read this book. It is a quick read but will help you to understand the child with autism, how to communicate well and be supportive. It is worth reading.
2017 Reading Chal...: Ten Things Every Child With Autism Wishes You Knew 1 9 Jun 16, 2016 11:25AM
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Unstrange Minds: Remapping the World of Autism
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration
  • How Can I Talk If My Lips Don't Move: Inside My Autistic Mind
  • Not Even Wrong: Adventures in Autism
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's
  • Mozart and the Whale: An Asperger's Love Story
  • All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Integration Issues
  • Send in the Idiots: Stories from the Other Side of Autism
An internationally renowned author, Ellen Notbohm’s work has informed and delighted millions in more than twenty languages. In addition to her award-winning books on autism, her articles and columns on such diverse subjects as history, genealogy, baseball, writing and community affairs have appeared in major publications and captured audiences on every continent. Ellen is an avid genealogist, knit ...more
More about Ellen Notbohm...

Nonfiction Deals

• K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
    $12.99 $1.99
    $10.49 $1.99
“The word “autistic” is accurate. But so are other words that we no longer use to describe people: spinster (unmarried woman), hobo (migrant worker), cripple (person with a physical handicap), and so on. The fact that a person is unmarried or has sustained a mobility-reducing injury or birth defect certainly figures into their life experiences, but it does not define their character—unless they or we let it.” 3 likes