Start by marking “The Official Filthy Rich Handbook” as Want to Read:
The Official Filthy Rich Handbook

The Official Filthy Rich Handbook

How the Other .0001% Live

It's looking like another banner year for America's moneyed over-class, the lucky .0001 percent sitting on $30 million-plus in liquid assets.

But sadly, most of the newcomers joining their ranks are simply not prepared to make the decisions that come with having it all. Unsure about everything—butler or majordomo? St. Tropez or St. Thomas?—they wi
Published June 19th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Official Filthy Rich Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Official Filthy Rich Handbook

Madeline
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's interesting - the more time I spend at college, the more I become convinced that the best career move I could ever make would be to marry a Russian billionaire and live out the rest of my days as a well-educated trophy wife. One of my friends, knowing this about me, gave me this book for my birthday with the advice to study it religiously.
Amusing and eye-opening, this little book induces eye-rolls and disgusted head-shaking more often than genuine laughs (the section on childrearing was pa
Sandra
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Laugh-out-loud easy/casual read. The author actually pretends that the reader is a newly minted multi-millionaire/billionaire. Without guidance, newbie definitely will not be able to break into the social circle of the mega rich; just by having money does not gain you entrance to the club don’t you know? Thus begins the lessons – where to live, what to wear, what to buy, where to be seen, where to summer & winter; etc. When newbie has finished all the lessons, surely he/she will be able to f ...more
Jessica
Jul 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Jessica by: Boston Globe Article
A dissapointment. I was excited to get my hands on this book after I read a Boston Globe article that featured the author. It's just the kind of book you flip through at the bookstore and toss back on the shelf.
Kate
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun read! A good resource, too, for what really is the uber rich lifestyle. Lots to learn, but also lots of laughs!
Caroline
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun parody of Aaron Spelling, Saudi princes, and other people I will never know. And it taught me how and when to refurbish my yacht.
Matt
Nov 08, 2009 rated it liked it
A funny, tongue-in-cheek look at the lives of the upper crust.
Laura Altom
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, so funny--and informational. I was appalled to learn I've been mispronouncing Cannes for years!! LOL!!
Aileen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty enjoyable book. I had a few laugh at loud moments.
Barbikat60
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is informative and hilarious. It took a long time for me to read it because I LEFT IT AT SOMEBODY'S HOME AND THEY WENT AWAY ON HOLIDAY! I finally got it back and I happily finished it. I got it from the library. I need my own copy for future reference.!!! I'm totallly pleased with the knowledge I acquired from this book. When fortune smiles upon me, I shall be ready.
Roslyn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got what I wanted out of the this book: some good shopping and traveling ideas. But way fewer than I had hoped for.

Also, the way this book was written was just dumb. But I knew that going in. It's trite-superficial-attempting-to-be-funny-but-failing magazine fare. People, the extremely wealthy included, are only superficial until you get to know them. At least that has been my experience.
Kim
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. A cousin of the Official Preppy Handbook from the 1980s. It makes you shake your head in wonder at the excess surrounding the "filthy rich", and for those of us whose jobs require crossing paths with the lifestyle disected in this book, it makes you nod your head in agreement with the pciture that is painted. The section on children and education was a particular favorite.
Rebecca
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this was very funny and entertaining, but a bit inaccurate on some of the pricing estimations of luxury goods. The author is certainly someone who knows the in's and out's of upper class society!
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Funny and sarcastic! A good read if you want something to laugh at.
Faye
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A favorite of my friend, Erica... very tongue in cheek...
Jahncie Cook
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: preppy, lives, of, the, rich
Wonderfully catty.
Abraham Ray
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
pritty dumb in my opinion.
Jeremy Raper
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Kind of entertaining in a douchey, WASPy way. would recommend for occasional diversion, not something to really read through.
Johanna
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very amusing and quick read. If you're a vanity fair reader and like to read about how the richest of the rich live, this one is for you. Warning: it's a handbook not a book.
Micaela
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Inspired by The Official Preppy Handbook of yore; very humorous.
Wendy Bogarde
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
This is hysterical! I read it in two days. Definitely fun reading!
Poppy
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: plutocrats, social climbers, snobs
Shelves: drivel, humor
Obviously based on The Official Preppy Handbook and thus a bit derivative, this is still pretty funny, and as far as I can tell (not being filthy rich myself) accurate.
SpR
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Bad Dog: 278 Outspoken, Indecent, and Overdressed Dogs
  • The Art of Growing Old: Aging with Grace
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • Fortune's Favors (Nyx Fortuna, #3)
  • The Venetian Empire: A Sea Voyage
  • A History of London
  • The One to One Future
  • Worth It ... Not Worth It?: Simple & Profitable Answers to Life's Tough Financial Questions
  • Negotiating Rationally