Start by marking “Flush” as Want to Read:
Flush

Flush

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  23,426 Ratings  ·  2,236 Reviews
Bestselling novelist Carl Hiaasen is back with another hysterical mystery adventure for young readers, set in the Florida Keys.

You know it's going to be a rough summer when you spend Father's Day visiting your dad in the local lockup.

Noah's dad is sure that the owner of the Coral Queen casino boat is flushing raw sewage into the harbor–which has made taking a dip at the
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published September 13th 2005 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flush, please sign up.
Juke It depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and…moreIt depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and it keeps you from getting too bored along the way as you read. I'm a little picky on the writing style of books, but, excluding the writing style, in my opinion, it's definitely well-written.

If you like books about justice (excluding books involving long periods of court), along with activism, but not obnoxious (no offense meant there) activism where people protest about every single thing, then you'll like this book.

I don't consider myself a big activist when it comes to the environment or animals, but I DO think there's SOME situations where action needs to be taken. I don't mean protesting, because, based on statistics, protesting VERY rarely works and actually usually ends up causing more harm than good. I'm meaning signing a petition or making donations.

Anyways, I actually ended up enjoying this book. It's not one of my favorites or anything, but it's still a good book.(less)
Juke It's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice,…moreIt's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice, along with family ties and friends/enemies made along the way.(less)

Lars Guthrie
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might come to ‘Flush’ with two preconceptions.

Carl Hiaasen writes adult thrillers with a satirical tenor, often featuring characters from the trailer trash end of the social spectrum. So it’s likely that his children’s books will retain a bit of that edge.

Those adult thrillers, and Hiaasen’s books for younger readers, focus on environmentalism, so it’s likely that ‘Flush’ centers on that kind of issue.

Your preconceptions would be proven true.

The tone of ‘Flush’ is sardonic. It features a ba
Lauren
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Flush is a very good book it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The boy in this book has a Dad that has been in jail many times when he was trying to protect wildlife. Wach him take a step while his dad is in jail and to prove that his dad is right.
Carmen Tryka
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carol Baldwin
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLUSH: An Example of What Every Book Should Include

I can't help myself. Whenever I read a book I'm always analyzing how the author pulls it off. How does he or she weave together the different elements needed to produce an engaging book for young readers?

My recent read, FLUSH by Carl Hiaasen, is a great example of this type of book. It has:

A great beginning that hooks the reader

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my s
John
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a piece of light fluff to read after the last novel I tackled, which erred somewhat on the worthwhile'n'earnest side. In Flush I found exactly what I sought . . . with the added bonus of a worthwhile'n'earnest subtext to assuage my conscience.

On the Florida Keys, teenager Noah Underwood's dad has the bad/good habit of going ballistic when crass, greedy people destroy the environment. His latest escapade, scuttling a casino ship whose owner has, to save money, been pumping the craft's ra
Andrea
After reading Hoot, I couldn't resist reading all of Carl Hiassen's young adult fiction for myself. I blew through this book in two nights. Absolutely fantastic! Another tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. I want to read this to my son before he loses that "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling that only the young and unscarred possess.

The book starts with Noah visiting his father in jail. He's there because he sank a casino boat after finding out that,
Caitlin L
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished, "Flush" by: Carl Hiaasen. It starts out kind of slow, but the more you read, the more you want to know! "Flush" is about a curious, determined boy, Noah Underwood, his tough, persistent sister Abbey, and their peculiar father who will stand up for anything that he thinks is right. Noah's dad gets put in jail for sinking skinflint Dusty Muleman's casino boat, The Coral Queen. Noah's dad didn't do this for no good reason at all, the truthful reason is that he thinks Dusty is f ...more
Angela
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-in-2018
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It was a quick and easy read, and made me laugh out loud!
Alex
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If this is his first into the kids genre then I understand it's flaws, I do not forgive them but I understand. If this is not his first kids book then he totally messed up on this one. His crassness is unnecessary, and his approach to things like murder and alcoholism was ham handed. His other two that I've read were better and if you are a kid and you have a super love for Hiaasen then I guess go ahead and read this, but don't make this your first.

A boy and his sister are trying to prove that
Mike French
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carl Hiaasen once again has written a tremendous book for the entire family!Grandparents,Parents,kids and grandkids will enjoy this book. Very enjoyable and entertaining for all!
Valerie
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian
I thought this book had one of the most brilliant opening lines of any YA book. I read it aloud to #1 son, and he snatched the book from my hands and proceeded through Hoot as well.
Reed
This book really gives insight to readers on what is wrong with the real world. The characters show emotion and really tie everything together with each character having a certain role. There are character you will love and characters you will loathe. You love to hate Dusty and his son. You feel bad for the father and realize that he is perfectly sane.
Chloe O'neal
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noah's dad tries to get back at Dusty, for putting the holding tank in the ocean, by sinking his casino ship, Coral Queen. He has to go to jail on fathers’ day. Noah and Abbey try to prove that there dad is right by making up this crazy plan that includes sneaking into the Coral Queen. Read the book to find out what happens next.
The main characters in the book are Dad and Noah. Dad, Paine, he has some anger issues. When he gets something on his mind he will do whatever it takes to get them to
Lexi
Bebe Haase
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, didnt-like
2/5 stars

I did not like this book because it was to predictable and easy. I did not enjoy it.

xoxo,
Bebe

I am going to give Hoot a try. I am probably not going to like it though.

Chance Lee
I listened to this on a particularly slow day substituting at the library. The reader has a nice voice, although he has a tendency to rush a bit. Maybe it comes with the genre, trying to sound excited?
I don't know.

I didn't finish it, but the plot was entertaining. This book tows the line between J and YA fiction tropes. The main character's dad isn't completely absent but, as a hot-headed environmental activist, often gets his family into trouble, leaving the kids to clean it up. However, unlike
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Hoot by Hiaasen and absolutely loved it, so I was excited to continue on with Hiaasen's middle grade series and read this book. I didn't like Flush quite as much as Hoot, there just wasn't as much mystery. That being said it was still a very good and entertaining book; it touches heavily on environmentalism, corrupt business practice, and family issues.

Noah Underwood's father has sunk a gambling ship and been thrown in jail. Noah's dad is positive that the gambling ship is emptying sewage
Jenni Joru
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Floridassa vain alkuperäisasukkaat saavat pyörittää uhkapelitoimintaa. Lieromainen liikemies Dusty Muleman on houkutellut Miccosukee-intiaanit mukaan kasinobisnekseen: he ovat ostaneet satama-altaan ja julistaneet sen reservaatiksi. Satama-altaassa taas kelluu kasinolaiva Korallikuningatar - aina siihen asti, kun kalastusopas Payne Underwood saa tarpeekseen jätevedet mereen kippaavasta purkista ja vetää niin sanotusti tulpan irti.

Paynen lapset: 12-vuotias Noah ja 10-vuotias Abbey ovat varttunee
Nathan Sapal
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I was fairly entertained by it and everything that happened in it.

The story started with boy named Noah Underwood who lives a easy life in the Florida Keys with his family. Then suddenly his dad goes to jail, while visiting him in jail he finds out that his dad went to jail for sinking a gambling boat called "The Coral Queen". His dad did this because he find out that the boat was dumping their sewage into the marine, and so his dad told him and shoe was all for taking down "
Noah
Flush was a book about a boy around the age of 14 who's name is Noah. Noah's dad is in jail because his dad sunk a ship. This ship was no ordinary ship, this ship was dumping all of its waste and fecal matter into the ocean at night when nobody was around to notice, accept Noah's dad. He sunk the ship to stop the waste from building up in the sea. Throughout the book Noah and his family stand up against injustice and do what they can to make a change.
I can connect this book to HOOT by the same
Lisa
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flush came to my attention because a professor at the community college where I work was looking for a novel that dealt with the environment, but that would not be too difficult for some of his low-level readers. Although I had not read it at the time, we decided that the reviews made Flush sound like the right book for the job. The novel follows two teens, Noah and Abby, who are trying to expose a casino boat owner who they believe is dumping the casino's septic waste into the local beach to sa ...more
Stephany
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Noah Underwood's father is sent to prison for sinking a casino boat that he believes to be dumping waste tanks into the ocean, Noah decides to help his father prove his suspicions. Noah and his siter, Abbey, get into all kinds of trouble as they attempt to prove that their father is sane and telling the truth, while keeping the owner of the boat from polluting the ocean around their home in the Florida Keys.

I really enjoyed this book because it was filled with action and suspense. Noah, Abb
Monique
i choose this book because it seemed like a good book. its fiction but probly could happen. it takes place in keys california i think. the main character is named noah. noahs dad goes to jail because he tryed to sink a boat that was dumping sewadge in the ocean which your not supose to do. noahs dad (paine) goes to jail for it because he doesnt have proof that dusty is dumping sewadge in the ocean. the problem is that dusty is doing this and he is friends with the coast gard so he doesnt get cau ...more
Dean
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Flush is like Greenpeace meets CSI. Basically, a boat is dumping its waste into the ocean and Noah, the main character, tries to figure out who is doing it. It’s a book with a political agenda and an environmental agenda, something that typically does not work, but it works well here. One other thing I can relate to is that Noah, the kid, is the one who is rational and calm, the dad is the unstable one. Something I can relate to, being the dad myself. Also, whenever I try to finish number one, I ...more
Eileen
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of Hiaasen's YA novels that I've read (after Scat & Hoot) -- I just love them. They're not as wild and funny as his adult fiction, but I enjoy them all the same, and it's nice that they only take a couple of hours to read. Can't wait until I can share them with my kids.

As with all of Hiaasen's YA novels, this one deals with villainous Floridians who are destroying the environment, the plucky kids who won't let them get away with it, and the quirky grown-ups who help them.

Ms. Martí
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very engaging book for middle school kids. My students found the topic of pollution to be not only interesting, but relevant to their everyday lives. Also, the main character (Noah) is beautifully developed, at a realistic pace, that makes it easy for children to identify and track. Kids find Noah to be very relatable and authentic in his thoughts, concerns, and emotions. It shares a lovely message with readers to stand up for what (and whom) they believe in.
Rebecca McNutt
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was crude, crass and nasty; it's a book about sewage being dumped on a beach, aimed at young adults, so of course it's got immature toilet humor and it makes this book seem trashy. The characters were lazy, entitled and generically boring and much of the book just drags on, making it more of a chore to read than anything else.
Ray
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was looking for another Hiaasen to read and picked this up secondhand without realising that it was aimed at children. Hey ho.

A competent tale of environmental skullduggery, with the baddies taken down at the end. Some humour, linear plot.
Victoria
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Flush" is a young adult novel by Carl Hiaasen. I really enjoyed this book and I gave it 5 stars for many reasons. One is that Hiaasen does a fantastic job of hooking the reader in the beginning and creating many memorable characteristics for each character. The more I read, the more I wanted to know! He also proportionally mixes humor and tension and manages to not go off track or wander off. The main character is Noah Underwood, whose father, Paine, is being sued by the owner of The Coral Quee ...more
PierceBachman
Flush, by Carl Hiaasen is about Noah, the main character, trying to prove that the Coral Queen casino boat is dumping sewage waste into the ocean. In the beginning, Noah's father went to the Coral Queen to try to collect evidence that they were dumping sewage into the ocean but accidentally sunk the Coral Queen in the process. Noah's father was arrested for sinking the boat, even though it was an accident, and although he can be bailed out he stays there to prove his point. In the middle of the ...more
flush 1 6 Apr 16, 2015 09:18AM
  • Chicken Boy
  • Miracle on 49th Street
  • Operation Redwood
  • I Am Not Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #4)
  • Saraswati's Way
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • Project Mulberry
  • Fish
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • Science Fair
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • Things Hoped For (Things, #2)
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List
    $8.99 $1.99
“That's what people do when they find a special place that wild and full of life, they trample it to death.” 17 likes
“and in the meantime don't jump to conclusions.” 12 likes