Start by marking “The Black Donnellys: The Outrageous Tale of Canada's Deadliest Feud” as Want to Read:
The Black Donnellys: The Outrageous Tale of Canada's Deadliest Feud

The Black Donnellys: The Outrageous Tale of Canada's Deadliest Feud

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"Johannah trained her sons to fight dirty. A knee to the groin, a thumb to an eye, all was fair as long as a Donnelly prevailed." "Hit first, talk later," she told her boys. This book will be especially fascinating for all readers interested in: crime biography. The gruesome saga of the Black Donnellys has been heavily mythologized. A thick layer of rumour, legend, and hea ...more
Published December 14th 2011 by Amazing Stories (first published May 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Donnellys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Donnellys

Stephanie Brush
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Very very interesting story
Can't believe this happened here In Canada
Not far from me, back in the old days
Love reading old true crime stories like this
Definitely will be reading more stories about the black Donnellys!
Amie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, frontier justice....

I was aware of the story of the Donnellys and while this book did not offer any new information for me, it was still a good read.
Lauren
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Donnellys was written by Nate Hendley. It was published on May 4, 2004 by Amazing Stories. I really enjoyed this book because it was about a family who move to Canada for a better life and didn't have the life they expected they would have in Canada. I think Nate Hendley really focused on getting the right information about the Black Donnellys, making it a more interesting book to read.
Nate Hendley did a really good job researching the true history of the Black Donnellys. When Nate
LibraryCin
The Donnelly family moved from Ireland to Ontario in the 1840s. One of the first things James and Johannah did was claim some land that belonged to someone else and built their new home. Over time they'd have 7 sons and one daughter. James and Johannah, as well as the majority of their sons, were quick to fistfight, and even seemed to enjoy it. After years of small crimes, arson, mutilated/poisoned animals, and even murder and after many of the Donnelly family had done time in prison, the local ...more
Fiona
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
growing up in london, ontario, we all heard the stories of the Donnolly clan from lucan, just minutes north of us. anyone you meet with the last name, even if it was a different spelling, were always quick to say, 'no relation to the black donnollys' when asked.

this book really gives you an amazing look into james and johanna donnolly's struggle to leave ireland and start a new life in canada during the mid 1800's. i can't imagine moving across the atlantic to a country you know little about wit
Sher Boudreau
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up in small town Ontario, this story was one we read in elementary school. Re-reading it now was even more creepy than I remembered.

The legend of this rural Ontario family is somewhat unknown in other areas of Canada and certainly worth reading up on.

An entire village took matters into their own hands to deal with the sly, crooked and often misunderstood Donnelly Clan.

Bigotry,greed, murder, sex, violence. This book has it all and then some.

Definitely a nightmare creator!

Highly recom
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my better half, thinking he'd enjoy it while on holidays this summer. I happened to grab it when walking on the tread mill and was instantly hooked. Stories like this are something movies are made of and usually happen in the wild west of the USA. An Irish family in the 1800's in southern Ontario, the Black Donnellys was thoroughly enjoyable. Very quick, interesting read.
Reyna ♥
This was really... objective. The writing style was a bit strange, as it was really unemotional, and there was more described dialogue than actual written dialogue. The Donnellys were total jerks, but the townspeople were also jerks towards the end, so it was a sort of weird party of total jerk characters.
Shannon
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I'm always amazed at how thirty or so years of activity and upheaval can be summed up in 129 pages. Still, a good read and I'm still appalled that this happened in my neck of the woods. People amaze me.
Regina
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This was a super quick read and I loved the details the author was able to find about this family.
Valerie
Awesome book!! Couldnt put it down.
Christopher Gray
Great telling of a local story. There is much folklore in our own backyard, and this author enjoys informing us of the more interesting chapters in our history. A very good read.
Kaylene
Aug 20, 2011
Carolyn Ardron
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Nate Hendley is a Toronto-based freelance writer, author and editor.

He has written a series of books, primarily in the true-crime genre, with both Canadian and American publishers.

His latest book for a Canadian publisher, Steven Truscott: Decades of Injustice, examines the wrongful conviction of an Ontario teenager.

His latest book for an American publisher, The Big Con, focuses on infamous US swi
More about Nate Hendley...