Start by marking “The Maid's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Maid's Daughter

Janice Maynard

The Maid's Daughter (Men Of Wolff Mountain #4)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  1,306 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews

He thought he was finished rescuing damsels in distress. After all, hadn't playing hero gotten millionaire Devlyn Wolff into enough trouble? Still, when a car accident lands Gillian Carlyle at his feet, he can't walk away...even when he learns of her connection to his past.
Giving Gillian a job with his new business venture is not Devlyn's way of assuaging age-old guilt. N
Published September 1st 2012 by Harlequin Desire (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Maid's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maid's Daughter

Penny Watson
Up until the end, I think this was maybe 3 stars? And then....the ending. It almost seemed like the author got tired of writing this book, and just said "THE HELL WITH IT" and finished with the most abrupt, ridiculous wrap-up I've ever seen. The hero went from suffering from severe mental issues concerning childhood abuse/refusing to consider children in his future to "LET'S MAKE A BABY, HONEY!" in one paragraph.

Speechless.

Sort of funny.

And it was free. So there's that at least.

I think I'm gonn
LaFleurBleue
That was not a very good book. The whole story takes place in less than 1 week, which does not leave room for character development, emotions growing or realism. The characters are a bit schematic and often behave irrationally or unrealistically. And there was too much sex, and furthermore unprotected sex, considering the length of the story. I did not buy their HEA.
Susan
Good book. Gillian is back on Wolff Mountain and staying with her mother while she looks for a new job. When her car goes off the road in the rain, she is rescued by Devlyn, who doesn't recognize her at first. When he does, the feelings of guilt over the way he treated her one time when they were children come rushing back. He also discovers he is very attracted to her. As a way to help her out while keeping her close, he hires her as a consultant for the school his family is building in the nea ...more
Debbie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on Kindle even though it was posted as a paperback. I couldn't find a Kindle version to post. I really enjoy this series. I really enjoyed this story. I was very surprised toward the end. I never expected that..........Not giving anything away, read it for yourself.
Tia
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Wolff books, a lot. This one was no exception. I fell in love with the heroine right away and drooled over the hero. There was a lot of points I didn't agree on and some I didn't like but overall the novel is well written and does keep you intrigued. 4 stars!
Brad
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin-desire
"The Maid's Daughter" Janice Maynard, I really enjoyed this novel; speaking from a reader who read the book in a morning/afternoon time frame. This is was my first The Men of Wolff Mountain book in the miniseries . I'm looking forward to reading the past books for this series!!
Read Adult Romance (readadultromance.com)
Read the rest of the review at readadultromance.com

"Never try to hide from a Wolff,” he said, teasing her. “I’ll always find you.”

Sometimes You Don’t Want a Second Chance.

I really have to stop reading books that have a super rich male protagonist. (Is there even situations where it’s the other way around?) Also it’s easy to “make your first million” when you already have money — unless you’re telling us that he is supposed to be spoiled and snobby (you probably weren’t).

The novel kicks off with
Tonileg
Rich reclusive dude gets a second chance at being friends and more with a childhood acquaintance when they get in an accident on the family's mountain.
Super wealthy Devlyn Wolff hurt the young Gillian Carlyle when they were children because she tried to be a friend after Devlyn's mother's funeral, but he harshly rejected her and then they avoided each other for the next twenty years.
So the car accident brings them together and then Devlyn offers Gillian a job to keep her in his life. So a bit o
Brandy
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking through the ratings I see that either people enjoyed it a lot or not at all. I however, love Devlyn as a character just for the mere fact that he is tormented. Yes to many that may sound strange but I like how the author seemed to be able to grasp the emotion behind his character and describe what he was feeling and why and how through time that feeling did or did not progress. I will admit that I found his 'finding' the one to get him to realize it was not his fault and healing him busi ...more
L.  (My Woes, My Woes, They Continue To Grows)
After Devlyn rescues Gillian from a car accident, they both have a case of the hot pants for each other. Yeah, cuz car accidents will do that to you. However, they must resist their strong attraction to each other. Devlyn because he's a Harlequin man - he's got issues. Gillian because she's a Harlequin heroine - she doesn't think she's pretty enough for him. Thankfully all of their problems are easily overcome with a couple of bouts of adequate sex.
Amy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some serious problems with the story --chauvinist older men, people who just met being in lust then love, badly handled ending plot. A fast read, though.
Mia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin, romance
Awalnya menarik
Semakin dibaca kok ya malah mengecewakan.seperti ditulis terlalu terburu2,dengan perubahan sikap karakternya yg mendadak bgt dan berakhir dengan solusi yg terlalu dipaksakan
☂ ℬrandi
❤❤

My enjoyment in the Men Of Wolff Mountain series started on a high. Gareth is one of those heroes you (well me anyway) dream about long after a book is over. Next was baby brother Kieran's turn and though it wasn't better than the first book it held its own. Then there was middle brother Jacob's book and frankly I thought his story was going to blow my mind. At best it was irksome. Now it's time for the 3 Wolff cousins, Devlyn, Annalise and Larkin. Devlyn's story starts us off and unfortunatel
Lisa Clemens
Reviewed at The Smexin' Shelf:
The Maid's Daughter by Janice Maynard is somewhat a Cinderella story, somewhat a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. Sort of the heroine taming the tormented, savage male...though by her admission, the heroine's a far cry from being a raving beauty.

It's the third of the Men of Wolff Mountain romance series but the story can stand on its own. I picked it up on Kindle and the fact that it was free didn't hurt a bit. I couldn't exactly say the same for the reading
Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic
First of all, I have to say that this story isn't believable at all. So you meet a childhood friend (you're not even friends, actually) after a long time and decided to get intimate for a while but you fell in love with each other. All in a matter of about 4 days? Really, the timespan of this story is 4 days, from the time they met again until the time that they decided to have a family. How crazy is that?
And they have this rejection issue from childhood which I think isn't really that traumatic
Paula Legate
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-suspence
I really enjoyed this book. This was a very emotional story. The Hero, and Heroine were wonderful people. Devylyn Wolff has a heart of gold. He is also handsome, and rich, and runs his families company. He broke Gillian’s heart many years ago. He feels bad about what he did, and he takes the time to apologize. I was sold on this book when he apologized… This was a beautiful, and heartwarming journey packed with strong emotions. I don’t want to give too much away, and spoil the book for you, so I ...more
Amanda
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I think I downloaded this for free....but I'm not sure. It was lurking on my Kindle, and I needed something to read. Anyway, this is an ok book. I like how the the class issues were handled--they weren't dismissed, but yet were left for the characters to navigate. Which they did. Once the characters got over that, the story kind of stalled for me. There was too much navel gazing. When the Deep, Dark Secret was revealed at the end of the book, I had already guessed it and thought it should have c ...more
Elizabeth
I don’t remember how I ended up with this book. I hopeI didn’t pay for it because I DNF’ed pretty quickly. Billionaire stories, as well as HQ Desires can be pretty hit and miss for me. As the title suggest, the maid’s daughter returns – literally running into the young billionaire on the road. He barely remembers her, though he’d been quite callow to her when they were young.

There wasn’t a lot to engage me as it started, and then it started getting creepy/rapey. He starts feeling her up while s
Jane
Devlyn Wolff meets The Maid's Daughter, Gillian Carlyle after she drove her car into a tree and needed help. He knew her as a child when her mother brought her to work at Wolff Castle with her and again as a teenager but did not recognize her when he first saw her as an adult. Once he realized the who she was and the important role she played in his childhood, he could not resist her.

Gillian is an elementary teacher that had her position cut due to budget issues and is coming home to visit her m
TreLyn Cecile
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gillian Carlyle's mother is an employee for the Wolff's. After an accident, Devlyn Wolff takes her home to look after her for the night but he is drawn to her, when he finally realizes who she is. Can he keep his distance or will his past destroy her feelings?

I really enjoyed this book. The familiarity is there so they do know each other. It may seem they move fast but the history is there. Devlyn finally let's his guard down enough to trust her and to open up about his past. That was the most t
Melissa Marlow
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devlyn Wolff, has a bad habit of rescuing damsels in distress. A successful millionaire doesn’t need any trouble that may happen if he rescues another one, but when Gillian Carlyle runs into a tree in front of him he cannot walk away from what he is good at… Saving the girl.

The only problems is that she is a girl from his past that he had wronged a long time ago. It’s not really guilt that makes him offer her a job, but what does he offer her?

That, you will have to read to find out. This was a v
Da'ad
Ok at best. The hero was likable, but the heroine was a cheap slut (yeah, yeah, it was just with him. Blah. She didn't make it work) and she pissed me off at the end with her stupid little "blackmail" attempt. It wasn't really blackmail, dumbass, as you couldn't make him do anything. And it takes 2 to tango so don't act like that little oversight was all his fault when you were so blasé about it after. graaah! Can you tell I hated her brainless guts yet?
Gina
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What started out as maybe a 3 star book took a drastic turn off a cliff in the last few chapters. Playboy bazillionaire Devlyn almost car wrecks into Gillian, the daughter of the family maid, and that leads to him hiring her to run a new school project and lots of sex. Four days after they crash (and he doesn't even remember her) they start talking about babies. This was a free kindle download and it was worth what I paid.
Harlow
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not determined to finish reading this book and I struggled to keep turning pages. There was something about the characters that wasn't appealing to me. I felt as though things moved on too quickly and the ending itself was just underwhelming. I felt that this book was so unrealistic even for a fictional story because it wasn't very well developed. I feel as though their sex lives were more developed than their characters.
Cynthia
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, harlequin
I enjoyed this book, I did feel it moved to fast. His sister went from mean to sweet really fast with not much explaining it. The end moved along to fast. This book left a lot of explaining in a lot of areas. It was a nice book that I did enjoy. I just wish it would have slowed down without jumping to them starting a family so soon. I would have enjoyed seeing how well he would have made a father in the end.
Bonnie
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maid's Daughter was a very good book. One of The Men Of Wolff Mountain Series. Devlyn was beaten by his mom when he was little. He doesn't trust he can be any different then his mother. Gillian comes into the pictures. Devlyn hires her as a teacher to a new school the Wolff foundation is going to finance. She falls in love with Devlyn. She helps him realize he is a good person and can love children. A must read.
Gaylin Walli
Office romance, second chances, and a few other good tropes thrown into the works. In the right hands they could have been deftly woven into a tight story ideally suited for this line. Sadly this one fell short for me. I struggled with believability of situations because it felt like they almost all appeared rushed. Unfortunate. Best scene? The first dinner the hero takes the heroine to. The banter between the heroine and the hero's potential investor was charming and chuckle-worthy.
Stacy Brown
Devlyn Wolfe, Billionaire, playboy with commitment issues. I wish the author would have explored the issues of abuse earlier in the book in place of the last chapter...suddenly everything was summed up and woola his phobias are cleared and cured by some miracle. Would have loved my character growth. Overall I did enjoy, but it took me longer to read than most since I lost interest.
Andita
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Be careful...

or you might get snared by the long teeth of a Wolff. The men are hot and a little needy or at least this one was. I didn't have the strength to out this down despite my hunger. I'm looking forward to more by Janice Maynard, she left me with thoughts of sexy wolves on the prowl.
Leslie
Even though you know where it's going to end, I was 3/4 of the way thru before I felt like how much nor could happen. And I looked at the page number. Only to see that there was still 50+ pages left! It was a book I couldn't put down! Even though I started half through the series, guess all I have to decide is if i want to keep going or start from the beginning...decisions decisions!
  • Hajar's Hidden Legacy
  • On the Verge of I Do (Dynasties: The Kincaids #4)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • In Bed with the Opposition (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #6)
  • A Very Private Merger (Dynasties: The Kincaids. #6)
  • The Sheikh's Claim (Desert Nights #2)
  • In His Brother's Place
  • One Dance with the Sheikh (Dynasties: The Kincaids #5)
  • Strictly Temporary
  • The Lawman Claims His Bride (Charity House, #4)
  • An Innocent in Paradise
  • A Win-Win Proposition
  • Behind Boardroom Doors (Dynasties: The Kincaids #3)
  • Whatever the Price (Hollywood #2)
  • For the Sake of Their Son (The Alpha Brotherhood, #5)
  • Undone (Pregnancy & Passion, #4)
  • The Husband School (Willing to Wed #1)
Janice Maynard came to the writing life early! When her third grade short story, “The Princess and the Robbers”, won a red ribbon in a school arts fair, Janice was hooked. She followed up that early success with a more commercial piece in the sixth grade… “Why My Mom Loves To Drink Coke”. No advance for that one, but she won a six-pack of Coke… remember those great little bottles?

In junior high Ja
More about Janice Maynard...

Men Of Wolff Mountain (7 books)
  • Into His Private Domain (Men Of Wolff Mountain #1)
  • A Touch of Persuasion (Men Of Wolff Mountain #2)
  • Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3)
  • All Grown Up (Men Of Wolff Mountain #5)
  • Taming the Lone Wolff (Men Of Wolff Mountain #6)
  • A Wolff at Heart (Men Of Wolff Mountain #7)