Start by marking “The Other Soldier” as Want to Read:
The Other Soldier

The Other Soldier (Castle Creek #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews

Corporal Reid Macfarland has one mission: to make amends for the mistake he lives with every day. That friendly-fire incident in Afghanistan that killed a fellow soldier haunts him. Maybe if he can help the widow, he'll find some peace.
Amends are easier said than done. Just one meeting with the independent and engaging Parker Dean makes it clear that forgiveness is a litt
Published July 1st 2012 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Soldier

Lyuda
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Lovely story where progression from grief to forgiveness to love is told with a surprising degree of realism and sensitivity.

Corporal Reid Macfarland is hunted by a fatal mistake he made a year ago- he accidently killed a fellow solder in a friendly-fire incident in Afghanistan. Now, on a thirty-day leave, he travels to see the solder's widow to ask for forgiveness and to offer any help to appease his conscience.
The widow, Parker Dean, is trying to keep afloat a greenhouse business she started,
Robin Covington
I will gladly admit that I cried when I read this book. And, I laughed. And, I sighed.

Emotionally rich, intense and realistic conflict, and characters who leap off the page are what makes this book one you cannot put down. I loved it and highly recommend this anyone who wants to beleive that love might not be easy but it is worth it.
Susan
Good book. Reid has come to Castle Creek to see Parker in person and apologize for his part in her husband's death. He wants to see if there is anything she needs or if he can help in any way. Parker is devastated by his confession and wants nothing to do with him. But she needs help and is forced to accept his for the next few weeks that he is on leave. She does her best to accept his help yet hang on to her anger. She also tries to keep Reid and her daughter apart, but Nat is insistent on bein ...more
Betty
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Parker Dean was married with one child, when she became a widow. Her husband was in the Army and killed in Afghanistan by friendly fire. Its been over a year and she is trying to make a go of the business that she and her husband had dreamed of. Its challenging and she works hard and with long hours. The bills pile up. Some are delinquent. She isn't sure that she'll be able to make the business successful.
Corporal Reid Macfarland has come to see Parker. He was the man responsible for her husb
Skye Taylor
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thankfully, many in our country today have begun to accept and respond to the devastation that war can wreak upon a warrior’s soul. Things our courageous young soldiers bring home with them and live with long after the battlefield has been left behind. We’ve also owned up to the senseless heartbreak of friendly fire. But how many of us have stopped to contemplate the shattering guilt and overwhelming sense of failure the “Other Soldier” lives with from the moment he or she realizes that their mi ...more
Becky
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! Kathy Altman did an amazing job writing about young widowhood--especially military widowhood--and Parker's journey "back" was a believable and well-written one. I appreciated that both Parker and Reid had to work on healing and forgiveness, and that there weren't any quick and easy fixes involved. Even though the main conflict of the book is heavy with emotion and quite serious, the author's writing manages to pull it all off in a way that handles the subject well but ...more
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
The Other Soldier is a poignant and enduring romance about love and forgiveness.

Corporal Reid MacFarland was responsible for the friendly fire incident that killed Parken Dean’s husband leaving her a Widow. When Reid visits Parker looking for absolution for his sins she makes it clear that money won’t buy him forgiveness or bring back her dead husband. Reid decides to stick around and help this fiercely independent single mother run her farm.

Parker and Reid’s romance is slow to develop; even tho
Susan
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin, 2013
This is a tough storyline to write about and I'm not sure that the author successfully tackled it in this tale. I found Parker to be a maddening character to like or relate to. She was so stubborn and independent, it came off at times as single-minded and stupid. (This is an action in any story I can't stand.) I can't believe she would think of getting a business off the ground by refusing any help, doing it for the memory of her deceased husband. Many times Reid would remark that he didn't thin ...more
Evie Owens
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Altman's debut book caught hold of me and never let go. The problem at the core of The Other Soldier is such a conflict-lock of a situation I couldn't see how it was going to end up at happy ever after. And Altman's warm, lovely voice makes her characters so believable that I was worried for all of them. Although this is an emotional book (as all my favorite Superromances are) there are touches of humor that made laugh out loud -and- twisted that emotional knife in deeper. Parker and Reid ...more
Toni Kenyon
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment I read the first 1000 words and found out Corporal Reid Macfarland had been responsible for the death of Parker Dean's husband I thought, "How's she going to manage this?" And manage it, Ms Altman did, with a deft hand and a wonderful, touching love story to boot.
Favorite line: But there was more curiosity than fear in her eyes and he couldn't hold back a grin. "Anxiety's part of survival," he said. "Keeps you alert."
This is a fantastic debut and I'm so looking forward to Ms Altm
Peggy Parsons
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
How do you forgive someone for unintentionally killing your husband? How does he forgive himself for causing your loss? These are the the questions that drive this story. With colorful side characters, an adorable nine year old daughter, and lots of witty lines the book is humorous and laugh-out-loud funny at times as Parker and Reid realize that forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.
Read and enjoy
Ana Barrons
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wonderful surprise. I shy away from tearjerkers, and it was obvious that this was going to make me cry, but I jumped in anyway. What really got me with this book was how real the characters were, and how the author made me literally "feel their pain." I can't recommend it highly enough. This author has a rare talent.
Jessie Potts
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Not normally my cup of tea, it was a good read nonetheless.

More about human connections and relationships than actual steam, if you're a fan of military romances, slightly bittersweet (at least to start with) and emotional reads than check out The Other Solider.
Tasha
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forgiving is not something that is always easy especially when an accident is to blame for the death of a loved one but can she forgive him for the accident that took her husband and begin to love again.... Just maybe she can and will
Jamie Michele
Altman's debut is a moving, page-turning romance that had me in tears before the end of chapter one.

If you love a good cry but want a happy ending, you couldn't go wrong with The Other Soldier.

I'm eagerly looking forward to Altman's follow-up.
Avery Flynn
Jul 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loved it!
Willa
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Great read. Altman takes a no-win situation and makes it believable. Altman's writing is engaging and polished. Enhanced by well-drawn secondary characters, this book easily deserves 5 stars.
Mary Sullivan
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story! Great characters and a wonderful story well-written. Superromance doesn't get much better this ;-)
Toni Anderson
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this...Again :)
Jackie
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually a Harlequin category romance reader, because characters in categories tend to be empty placeholders, a way for the reader to imagine herself into a story. Such characters have backstories, but no real individual personalities, beyond fairly generic heroic traits (independence, honor, etc.). Altman's first romance, a Harlequin Super Romance "Uniform" title, illustrates this character of category romance quite well.

THE OTHER SOLDIER opens with a compelling backstory, one with inher
Gail
I liked this. I'm pretty sure I read it before, but it wasn't ranked or marked as read here at GoodReads, so I read it again. The heroine's soldier husband was killed by friendly fire over a year ago. Since then, she's been trying to live their dream of running a greenhouse business on land they bought near Lake Erie in Pennsylvania. The hero is the soldier who was directing the drone that killed her husband, and he's come to try to make some kind of amends. With that kind of built in conflict, ...more
Krystean
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library, harlequin
Amazing story. Main characters and secondary characters were so real they jumped off the page. Very unique story line. All range of emotions conveyed. I will look for more books from this author because I very much enjoyed this one.
Lisa
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, quick, endearing.
Sheila Read
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my aunt would of loved this book.
Sheri
Feb 16, 2015
Michele Lacroix
Jul 09, 2012
Caitlyn
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Family Plan
  • A Taste of Texas (Oak Stand, #4)
  • The Long Shot (The Fallon Brothers, #1)
  • Unexpected Family
  • That New York Minute
  • The Sweetest Hours
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • The Marine Next Door (The Precinct: Task Force #1; The Precinct #17)
  • That Weekend...
  • No Going Back
  • Lead Me Home (Sons of Chance, #8)
  • Soldier's Last Stand (H.O.T. Watch #6)
  • Playing with Fire
  • About the Baby
  • Honorable Intentions (The Landis Brothers #5; Wingmen Warriors #15; Landis/Renshaw)
  • The Navy SEAL's Bride
  • Gilded Secrets (The Highest Bidder #1)
Kathy Altman writes contemporary romance, romantic suspense and the occasional ode to chocolate. She's published with Harlequin Superromance, and is a regular contributor to USA Today's "Happy Ever After" blog.

When Kathy’s not writing, reading or putting in her forty hours a week as a computer programmer for the Air Force, she enjoys baking, watching the Ciarán Hinds version of Persuasion and maki
More about Kathy Altman...

Castle Creek (4 books)
  • Staying at Joe's (Castle Creek, #2)
  • A Family After All (Castle Creek, #3)
  • Tempting the Sheriff