Start by marking “Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)

Dead and Berried (A Gray Whale Inn Mystery #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,703 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
Developers have returned to Cranberry Island and are planning to wipe out a natural cranberry bog. Natalie Barnes isn't sweet on the idea of commercial interests souring their cozy oasis, but the single innkeeper has other problems on her plate. Worst of all, there's a killer on the loose.
Published April 26th 2007 by Midnight Ink (first published February 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dead and Berried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead and Berried

Tari
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally couldn’t put it down

Nathalie Barnes has her hands full. Developers threatening her beloved island, her ex-fiancé is trying to get her to move back to Texas with him, an annoying guest supposedly wanting to open her own B&B while picking Nat’s brain for ideas, not to mention a couple of murders.

I hadn’t read the first book but the author did a great job of catching her readers up. I have the first book but this one is being discussed in a book club tonight so I had to read it fir
Rebecca
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Note to self: be more careful about cheap Amazon offerings. I thought okay, cozy little mystery for a light afternoon read. Sure. But the mistakes were irritating - until I decided to embrace them and just have fun wondering how many people read this book before it was published and never noticed. At first it was just little things: How could the chocolate be bubbling over if she turned off the burner?; She spent time talking about her sweater and his sweater and the pattern of his sweater, etc, ...more
Terri
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well, I did what I never thought I would actually do. Stranded without reading matter on a sleepless night, I read an entire novel using the Kindle app on my iPhone. Other than the fact that I had to change pages very frequently, the experience was pleasant.

This novel is the second in the Gray Whale Inn series. I read the first one a few months ago, and I found that I like the second one even better. The setting is lovely; the proprietor-of-a-bed-and-breakfast-protagonist leaves lots of room for
Jan 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Tracie
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Jessica
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, mystery
Cozy, fluffy murder mystery. Quick read. I agree with others who have said reading this right after the first Gray Whale Inn mystery was kind of a letdown. It isn't as good as the first book - probably because it was way too similar. The addition of the ex-fiancee was the only really interesting part to me. Otherwise it felt like the same plot recycled. I'm still going to read the other books in the series, though.
Jill
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Karen MacInerney is such a talented author! The characters and setting are lovely. The mystery aspect always leaves you guessing. I find myself getting lost in the pages of the book! I cannot put the books on this series down. Looking forward to the next one!
Piepie
I love all things Maine, and Karen MacInerney definitely delivers in her Gray Whale Inn mystery series that takes place on Cranberry Island. I've read 2 or 3 of these stories, and now I'm going through and picking up the ones I missed. It was wonderful to hang out with Natalie again, to look over her shoulder as she cooks for her guests, and to see what's going on with the other islanders. The pages kept me turning as I wanted to find out the mystery behind the two murders and the mystery of the ...more
Rbucci
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another fun read.
Nancy
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book falls into the category of comforting read. I first found Karen MacInerney through her book Murder on the Rocks, the first book in the Gray Whale Inn Mysteries; but I have found myself coming back for more because of the enjoyable feel it left me with. There is just something about island living and the formed friendships and irritating acts of others that bring me back to see what they are up to next.

Just when life is starting to get back to normal on Cranberry Island, developers have
Katherine Coble
This was a daily deal. It cost me $1.99 and two hours.

I think I have a new rule, that being:
Any fiction book that has recipes in the back automatically loses a star.

At the beginning of the book the protagonist is making a coffee cake. (Recipe in the back, natch.) Her cat comes into the room. She puts dry cat food (alas, no recipe!) in the bowl. Then she puts butter in the bowl.

It's not immediately clear that she went back to the coffee cake process; it sounds like she gave a stick of butter t
Kayeb
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
These are simple fun books.........for 100 people who live on the island, the mureder rate is sure pretty darn high....but it includes recipes, which i generally forget to copy...even tho they look good most times. There is the formula.......she finds the bodies, is a suspect and gets into situations I would never do myself......part of the fun I think, since it is so darn implausible.

[close:] In this delicious follow-up to Murder on the Rocks, developers have returned to Cranberry Island. This
Rona
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, other-voices
This is the second in the series. I thought the first one was so-so, but gave it a second try. That's it.
The scenery is nice. The Inn is lovely, but who'd stay in a place where the inn-keeper is in the habit of looking for clues in the guest's rooms!
The viewpoint character has no sense, puts herself in danger over and over. There are people who will help her, but noooooooo; she has to run off in the dark all alone. One would think that nearly getting killed six months ago might have taught her
Betsy
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2012-aug
If you enjoyed the first book in the series, Murder on the Rocks, you will not be disappointed in the 2nd installment. Dead and Berried continues in the same fashion that makes this series so delightful. Lovable characters, even the kitties, make the reader want to visit this quaint town and stay at the bed-and-breakfast. You can almost taste the delicious food. I cannot wait to try some of the recipes. The plot is not complicated, but there is still some suspense which some cozy mysteries do no ...more
Grey853
Mar 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
I was disappointed in this one after reading MURDER ON THE ROCKS. Natalie acted like an idiot when her fiance showed up, trying to win her back. Instead of chucking him out on his ass, she just flipflopped back and forth about whether to marry the lying sod or stick with John. Being stupid isn't something I admire in a protagonist.

The mystery itself wasn't bad, but after having such a good time with the first book in the series, this one let me down.
Cindy
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Too many murders is a small island community. Main character is a fully grown adult yet makes decisions like a teenager. I like "cozy" mysteries for a reading break now and then, but these are just too far-fetched to enjoy.
Debbie
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really a enjoying this series and the setting of a Maine island. I think I want to go there and enjoy the food at the Gray Whale Inn.
Melanie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The cooking in this book sounds just absolutely yummy. While not the absolute best mystery this series is a fun light read while at the beach!

Really have to try those Cherry brownies!!
Britney
This series is good. I enjoyed this one better than the first. Love the characters. The island sounds so refreshing. I hope the rest in the series continues to be as good as 1 & 2.
Jodi K
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
These are light, easy read mysteries that I have really enjoyed.
Kate
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love these books! Can't wait to read the next one!
Lady
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On The Outs And Haunted?

This series must be read in order. The first book is Murder On The Rocks. This is the second book. I can't wait to read Murder Most Maine!

Running The Gray Whale Inn is a dream come true for Nathalie (when she isn't worrying about the mortgage... Or being accused of murder that is) and life on Cranberry Island is all she ever hoped for! She has her neighbor John, the woodcarving island deputy (her sweetie) and Charlene, who runs the local grocery (her bestie)... And most p
Celinaresendez
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Petula Darling
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
The first book in the series had a lot of issues, but I thought it showed potential. I'm now thinking I was probably wrong. The protagonist remained just as idiotic as she was in the first book, but now she's also a terrible person.
There were many elements from the first book that were used once again for this one - is every book going to feature endangered species and lucrative development deals?
Whitney
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The author has a good sense of humor and the romantic bits 'n pieces don't overwhelm the main plot (fortunately!). I will continue to follow this series as I really enjoy the setting and the main characters. In this book, as in the previous one, the threat of development in a sensitive area is an underlying plotline. I can appreciate it in the debut, and I'll let it slide in the follow up, but I do hope that it isn't a constant in the series.
Cheryl
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book sounded more interesting than it turned out to be. Natalie is trying to run an inn with a lady watching her every move, saying she is learning about how to run an inn. plus her forme fiancé shows up, causing trouble between Natalie and her boyfriend. A dead body shows up and Natalie’s best friend is suspected. Natalie has to try and figure out the murder, save her best friend and save her inn.
Britt, Book Habitue
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
After a promising start in book 1, the series derails a bit here. LOTS of issues that editing should have caught (seriously LOTS) and oh my gosh possibly the worst love triangle I've seen. Gag. Also the paranormal bit was just weird. I'll probably pick up book 3 in the hopes that this was a fluke, but it'll have to be quite a bit better for me to continue past that.
Sandra Hernandez
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series

I enjoy this series every time I read it I want to stay at a bed and breakfast. !I was Sad that Charlene and Natalie are fighting in this book but glad they made up. I don't like the Reverend and was disappointed he was not more evil. The ending did surprise me I was not expecting the murderer to be who it was overall a happy ending and it made me hungry
Julie Cribb
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Cozy Mystery!

Once again, Karen MacInerney had me glued to this next cozy mystery! I thoroughly enjoyed this story, fingers crossed that Natalie would be okay! Now, on to the next mystery!
Sabine
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: usa-maine, 2016
Just like previous mysteries I read by Karen MacInerney I thoroughly enjoyed it. There might have been the odd flaws as mentioned in other reviews but it didn't bother me. I'm a sucker for the island and its residents and can't wait to see what Natalie is getting herself into next.
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (Talk Radio Mystery, #3)
  • By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)
  • Antiques Flee Market (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #3)
  • Short Squeeze (Jackie Swaitkowski, #1)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Killer Keepsakes (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #4)
  • Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Pie A la Murder (A Della Cooks Mystery #4)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • A Killer Column (Mystery by the Numbers, #2)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Fruit of All Evil (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #2)
I'm the author of the Agatha-nominated Gray Whale Inn mystery series, Tales of an Urban Werewolf. the Margie Peterson mysteries and the Dewberry Farm mysteries (plus a new fantasy in the works). My reading is like my writing: eclectic!

I grew up in the Northeast, but I currently live in Austin with my husband, two kids, and a houserabbit named Bunny. Feel free to visit me online at www.karenmacine
More about Karen MacInerney

A Gray Whale Inn Mystery (10 books)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Most Maine (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #3)
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Brush with Death (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #5)
  • Death Runs Adrift (Gray Whale Inn Mystery #6)
  • Pumpkin Pied: A Gray Whale Inn Short Story
  • Whale of a Crime (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #7)
  • The Gray Whale Inn Kitchen: A Collection of Recipes from the Bestselling Gray Whale Inn Mysteries (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries)
  • Claws for Alarm (Gray Whale Inn Mysteries, #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)