Start by marking “The Science of Love” as Want to Read:
The Science of Love

Robin I.M. Dunbar

The Science of Love

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Falling in love is one of the strangest things we can do - and one of the things that makes us uniquely human. But what happens to our brains when our eyes meet across a crowded room? Why do we kiss each other, forget our friends, seek a 'good sense of humour' in Lonely Hearts adverts and try (and fail) to be monogamous? How are our romantic relationships different from ou ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Love

Stacy
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I made it to page 114 in this book, where the author states as fact that some Victorian women had their ribs surgically removed to enhance their "wasp waist" look. This rumor has been repeatedly disproved, and anyone with a passing knowledge of medical history would be aware of the dangers of surgery in this era, prior to antibiotics and with limited painkillers.

That the author presents such a thoroughly discredited notion as fact leads me to suspect the validity of the rest of his writing. Comb
Book
The Science of Love by Robin Dunbar

"The Science of Love" is the fascinating science behind the human universal of falling in love. Anthropologist and evolutionary psychologist, Professor Dunbar takes the reader on a journey of an often-ignored part of science that deals with what causes us to feel love. Drawing on extensive research and interesting theories, the book provides an insightful biological story. This excellent 325-page book is composed of the following ten chapters: 1. Now We Are One
Nicole Garcia
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in Psychology
I enjoyed the beginning and the end of this book- I almost found those portions to be page turners, but after previously reading other Robin Dunbar works, I began to find the book repatitive and interchangeable. There is far too much reliance on self-assessments and seem to be rooted in gender roles and biases, that we unfortunately still see today.

I don't feel as though I had gained very much insight but perhaps more so layered on different opinions than the ones I previously held.
Kerszi
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dosyć krótka książka czemu się ludzie zakochują, czemu zdradzają i różne zachowania. Jak wynika wszystko zależy od genów i chęci rozmnażania. Która strategia się bardziej przyjmie na danym terenie ta zostanie stosowana. Autor na warsztat wziął też inne gatunki oprócz ludzi. Głównie ssaki. Dużo jest biologi, ewolucji, i własnych przemyśleń. Z ciekawostek które zapamiętałem to jest np taka, że kobiety są bardziej religijne od mężczyzn. Oczywiście tego jest dużo więcej.
Louise
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm . . . well, I liked this book, but wasn't bowled over by it. Possibly because, having read all of Dunbar's previous books, there was a certain amount of repetition and very little to surprise. That said, there was enough new information to hold my interest . . . and here it comes . . . BUT as for the conclusion, well I could have told him that if he'd only asked!
Tiffany
2.5. The beginning and end were good, but Dunbar seems to rely too much on surveys and self-assessments for his arguments, which seemed too rooted in gender biases. Gained some good insights, but I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone.
Ninakix
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2013
some chapters are super aggravating or boring, but there are a few in here that are just fascinating. Low on the scare tactics, mostly a look at statistics, brain functioning and animal behavior to examine the evolutionary basis of love.
Kevin
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy "pop sci" read.
Huge bibliography, so definitely based on real science, but still easy to digest.
Flits around a bit, and doesn't really have a solid single story - just explains lots of different parts of the puzzle.
I enjoyed it though.
Myriam
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verstaanbare uitleg voor leken in de wetenschap. Goede vergelijkingen met andere diersoorten. Auteur haalt verscheidene onderzoeken aan, maar weinig concrete uitspraken. Vooral interessant vond ik de verschillen tussen de familie, vriendschappelijke en romantische relatie. Leest vlot.
Sunaina
Eh. Some interesting stuff.
Mostly Lit
Ah, it started off so well. I'm not sure what happened but I lost interest at about page 100. "Empirical" evidence and love do not go well together.
Lutfiye Eyuboglu
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir yerlerde de böyle bir hoca var işte öğrencileriyle eğlenceli deneyler yapan..
Andrewma
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the overwhelming sense that our relationships are driven by biological determinants somewhat depressing. And not only that, that our respective cultural beliefs and conventions give meaning and reinforce certain biological underpinnings. I.e. Tall Rich Men are the Ant's Pants.

The nature of scientific analysis of these relationships cannot delve into the magic and sorcery of the chemistry between unique individuals. The book doesn't serve to ignore the nature of individual responses, but
Rafal Jasinski
Lektura niniejszej książki nie sprawi, że przestaniecie się zakochiwać - ani tym bardziej nie gwarantuje tego, że nie będzie Was korciło, by zdradzać - jakkolwiek pozwoli Wam zrozumieć mnogość procesów biologicznych i wykształconych na drodze ewolucji mechanizmów składających się na to, co nazywamy "miłością".

W oparciu o najnowsze interdyscyplinarne badania i odkrycia, w sposób niezwykle przystępny, Robin Dunbar wyjaśnia - między innymi - dlaczego podobają nam się takie a nie inne osoby, jak na
Sisyphus
This book is what happens when Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus goes to college.
Sean Goh
Maximum number of active participants in a conversation is 4.
Also, a romantic partner generally leads to the outward migration of two intimate friends to the next outer layer.
Fei
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like the part on chapter 8, sleeping with the devil. Points out that relationship with God exists all in the mind and that we can 'mold' God to the ideal person whoever we are.
Jacopo Prisco
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Beyond Human Nature: How Culture and Experience Shape the Human Mind
  • Inside Jokes: Using Humor to Reverse-Engineer the Mind
  • Dawn of the Deed: The Prehistoric Origins of Sex
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • Not On The Label
  • Together: The Rituals, Pleasures and Politics of Cooperation
  • The Gap: The Science of What Separates Us from Other Animals
  • The Winner Effect: The Neuroscience of Success and Failure
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers
  • The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain
  • The Control Book
  • The Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution
  • The Impossibility of Sex: Stories of the Intimate Relationship between Therapist and Patient
  • The Loving Dominant
  • The Sexual Life of Savages
  • The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body
  • The Shrink and the Sage: A Guide to Modern Dilemmas
Robin Ian MacDonald Dunbar, British anthropologist and evolutionary psychologist. He is a specialist in primate behaviour. Currently Professor of Evolutionary Psychology and head of the Social and Evolutionary Neuroscience Research Group at the Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford.
More about Robin I.M. Dunbar...