Start by marking “Humphrey the Lost Whale” as Want to Read:
Humphrey the Lost Whale

Humphrey the Lost Whale

The true story of Wrong Way Humphrey
Published December 1st 1992 by Heian (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Humphrey the Lost Whale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humphrey the Lost Whale

Start your review of Humphrey the Lost Whale
midnightfaerie
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
We got this for our 3 yr old's birthday party this summer and what an awesome book! All my kids love it, my preschoolers and my 5 yr old alike! A story about a lost whale named Humphrey who got stuck in the San Francisco Bay back in 1985, an event I hadn't heard anything about. (I had been ten yrs old at the time) It talks about his migration patterns, how they recognized him year after year, and how the people banded together to get him out of his predicament. At the very end, it has even more ...more
Lisa Vegan
Useful book for our local children at the time because they knew about the true news story about Humphrey the Whale, a creature that inspired my and others' great concern.
J.N.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for Dewey's 24 Hour Reverse Readathon.

The true story of Humphrey the Humpback Whale, who got lost near San Francisco in 1985. Told with beautiful illustrations in picture book format. Moved me to tears at some points. Great true story for sea creature lovers and children.

4 stars.
Cathy
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd to 3rd graders
The original book based on the true story of Humphrey, the Humpback whale who swam into the San Francisco Bay.

The third graders really got into this book - they liked the map at the back showing Humphreys route and how trapped he was in the shallow creek.
Volkert
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Picture book recounting the misguided Humpback whale that swam into San Francisco Bay and up the Sacramento River in 1985.
Honore
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This true story brings the drama and triumphant successes. A very sweet book!
Daniel Cortez
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“Humphrey the Lost Whale” by Wendy Tokunda is a heart-warming story about a humpback whale who became lost and stuck in the Sacramento River and how a group of scientists worked together to help Humphrey find his way. Humphrey went from the ocean into the San Francisco Bay, and then continued up the Sacramento River. After passing through a very tight space under a bridge, he became stuck upstream. Luckily, people were there to help him. They banged pipes underwater to scare him into turning ...more
Whitney
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I have a bit of a soft spot for this book, as my parents bought me a copy of the original printing after the Reading Rainbow episode aired. Pretty sure I read it until the binding fell apart. Nostalgia is a powerful force.

Review written for and published by Portland Book Review on April 29th:

Humphrey the Lost Whale is a classic children’s book, that is both educational and fun – it also featured in an original episode of Reading Rainbow. A reprinting of the original 1992 publication and based on
Robert
This book was a "book du jour" when I first began teaching. I don't hear about it any longer.

It tells the true story of a humpback whale that swam under the Golden Gate Bridge and then up the Sacramento River. The river is fresh water. Humphrey got himself stuck in shallow water past a small and narrow bridge. It took a lot of help to get Humphrey turned around and back underneath the tiny bridge before he swam back out to sea.

A cute little real-life story with a happy ending.
Lindsey Feldpausch
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I love the true stories! This offers many different points to teach, a few of which are; the difference between fresh water and salt water, migration, humans interacting with animals and keeping hope despite challenging circumstances. We enjoyed looking up news clips on youtube of when these events took place in California's bay area! Which is another teaching point; what defines a bay, river and ocean!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A real account of a Whale who got lost in Sacramento River and the community came together to help him find his way back to the sea.

My son and I watched this book on a Reading Rainbow DVD, however, we still got to see the beautiful illustrations of the book and it was evident the text had a natural flow for reading aloud.
Rachel
A cute true story about a humpback whale named Humphrey who travels from San Francisco Bay deep into the freshwater rivers north of the city and gets trapped there; he is rescued and helped along by people who have gathered at the river's sides, and pushed back towards the ocean.
Katey
This book was interesting. When reading it I could see so many project ideas coming into play. It is a great awareness book to help prepare for the worst case scenario. I had never heard of this story so it was fascinating to learn about a whale in San Francisco.
Angela Barakat
I read this with both my children.
Alicia
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, science
I especially like that this is a true story about a whale and about people coming together to help this animal.
Raji
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story!! We picked up this book in a lovely, small independent bookstore in Sausalito, right where this story took place.
Kim Hampton
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember hearing the story about Humphrey on the news when I was younger, and I absolutely loved this book! My daughter did too, she wanted to hear it again!
Sharon
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dan, tom, books-i-own
Another new one selected by Tommy. The boys had a lot of questions about Humphrey's adventures.
Amy
Reading Rainbow: Humphrey the Lost Whale
Stephanie
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Humphrey is a great children's book. Informative and easy to understand and could spark dialogue about sea life, travel, jobs, friendship, and community. One I'll definitely enjoy reading to my kids.
Teri
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oceans
Pretty great true story. My girls really enjoyed it.
Nov 04, 2013
Lucas
rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2018
Deanne
rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2016