Start by marking “A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales” as Want to Read:
A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales

A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  124 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Onboard a vessel that would make Jacques Cousteau green with envy, the Cat and Co. take to the high seas in search of whales, dolphins, and porpoises—those aquatic mammals known as cetaceans. While learning how cetaceans stay warm without hair, have teeth or baleen, swim in troops, spyhop, spin, breach, and see via ecolocation, kids are introduced to almost 20 different sp ...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Whale of a Tale!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Whale of a Tale!

Josh
A Dr. Suess book (written by another author true) about whales, dophins, and porpoises is absolutely brilliant. And it rhymes!!! I found this book while strolling through a gift shop at Sea World. When I saw it, I knew I had to immediately have it, since this group of animals are my favorites. This short book does a great job of providing a ton of information about these animals. The illustrations are typical Dr. Suess - goofy, funny, and filled with eye-catching colors. Also throughout the book ...more
Amy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly well done book that teaches kids about the stuff that makes cetaceans nifty animals. All kinds of dolphin, porpoise, and whale species were featured, and the rhyming text was only awkward in places. All in all, though, quite well done! And by the end of the story my nephew was able to distinguish dolphins from "porkuses." We'll work on that word.
Allie Reitzell
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has difficult words, but would interest a student who likes ocean life. There a tons of facts in this book.
Alex
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book because I like whales. I also enjoyed this book because this book was about whales.
Laura McLoughlin
Lots of useful information about porpoises, dolphins, and whales. Kids will enjoy it and I even learned a few new things.
Alex
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-children
It's not Dr. Seuss, and the meter is frequently abused, but there are some fun facts and drawings in this work of nonfiction for preschoolers. Favorite fact, which may just scar my son when the other kids in the schoolyard don't believe him: a killer whale is not really a whale, but rather a toothed dolphin.
Philippa N
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I find Dr Suess to be a little like Marmite. Sometimes I even like it! Children seem to love the silliness. This (non) Dr Suess series can be tedious to but there's no denying the fact that I, as the adult, learn lots too. Hence my four star instead of three.
Jelisa
I think this story would be great to read when discussing animals and their habitats. This story takes place at sea and I think that many students love dolphins so learning about the human-like mammals would be interesting and engaging for the children.
Aleya Peters
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful rhyming book that has a vast amount of facts about whales, porpoises, and dolphins. The book follows the Dr. Seuss style of writing quite well and is a lovely addition to the collection.
Keleigh
I like this one because it compares animals and the way they do things. This is informational but inviting for children because of the illustrations being cartoon like.
Maria
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
rhymed and taught about the animals. It was great!
Audrey
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not much better than an educational Seuss style book.
Tricia
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a rare and fun find---Dr. Seuss non-fiction! As title indicates this book is about porpoises, dolphins and whales and includes fun illustrations with facts in an easy reader format.
Mandy
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Come hear a "whale of a tale" about the difference between dolphins, porpoises, and whales told in a rhyme.
Lindsey Lubker
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Whale of a Tale is an informational book about whales porpoises and dolphins. It discusses these sea creatures habits, sizes, food they eat, and more.
Myron
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for little kids interested in whales. My daughter loves it.
Shifa Shahid
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Madkropotkin
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
My son's reading material for tonight. I think it might have been a little difficult for him, but he gave it a very good shot.
suzy
Jul 27, 2016
Ashleigh York
Feb 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...

The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • My, Oh My--A Butterfly!: All About Butterflies
  • Clam I am
  • Fine Feathered Friends: All About Birds
  • A Great Day for Pup!
  • Hurray for Today!: All About Holidays (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • I Can Name 50 Trees Today!: All About Trees
  • If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests
  • Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)
  • Is a Camel a Mammal?
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?