Start by marking “Final Seconds” as Want to Read:

"ONE OF THE MASTERS." –Ridley Pearson

"IN RARE FORM." –The New York Times Book Review

"AMONG THE BEST." –San Diego Union

THE HUNT BEGINS. . .AGAIN

Will Harper was an NYPD hero. Then fate, a fiery blast, and departmental politics burned down his career. Now Will is again in the line of fire as a disgraced FBI profiler pulls him
Published August 7th 2012 by Pinnacle (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Final Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Seconds

Gordon Vivace
I have to say, as popular as John Lutz is, I found this book not be full of "suspense", "twists" and "turns" like a number of professional reviews said, and it most certainly didn't make me "shiver". The plot was pretty clear early on and didn't vary much. Some of the story line was somewhat unbelievable, like a respected national media crush (the protagonist) getting thrown out FBI HQ on the day they were giving him an award for disagreeing with an agent (into the alley, no less, when he had be ...more
Jane Brant
Not bad....learned some things about explosives. The rest of it is fairly typical with your aging ex-cop, wounded like so many seeking the Holy Grail of lifetime achievement and recognition and respect...yup, the best part of the story. But aren't we a little tired of aging white guys with young successful wives, beautiful and ambitious, trying to forever prove themselves over and over again?
Susan
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Final Seconds is the first book that I have read by Lutz, and I found it to be a great read. Going into the book, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but Lutz delivers an action packed, thrilling, suspenseful read that keeps the reader on their toes. The book begins with Harper getting injured on the job and having to retire from the bomb squad. Things change however when his former partner is the victim of bombing. Harper and an old friend from the FBI are the only two people that see a patte ...more
Marti
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book but it seemed to lack the excitement of the content--a serial bomber with an agenda. He, of course, was a flawed personality, with a great amount of expertise in fashioning bombs. There are two men determined terformanceo find and stop him--Addleman, a former FBI employee, and Harper, a former bomb expert, retired after he lost part of his right hand in a bomb mishap. They encounter resistence to their advice and help. Can they stop him before his last spectacular pe ...more
RS Fuster
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to read a good thriller were the characters are believable then you need to read this book.

I don't know who I found more interesting the protagonist or the antagonist I have never felt this way about the villain before.
Jenn
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lutz lovers, SS sistahs
This was very different than the "Night" series, but just as enjoyable. It took me longer to read as I have been working like crazy, not because I found the book hard to read. I like the blend of John Lutz and David August. I found the Bomb Squad to be really likeable, and the mix of the ex-FBI guy and the ex-Bomb Squad guy to be perfect. I heard there was a second book and if that is true I'll have to try and hunt this down.

This book was re-released and was originally written in the 80s. It has
Carl
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. A down and out FBI agent and a maimed ex-NYPD bomb specialist team up together to unravel the mystery of what appears to be a serial bomber's plot. The book was well written, although there are numerous typographical errors in the Kindle edition during the transition from paper to electronic reader. This novel was co-authored by David August and John Lutz and is quite different from the previous Lutz novels that I'm familiar with. Recommended reading.
Shauna
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ran out of books on my most recent vacation, and found this one on the bookshelf of free books at the hotel. It isn't a typical book that I would read, but I'm glad I picked it up. I found the story really good, the characters very interesting, and the plot was intriguing.

At one point I wondered how the author was going to keep the story moving for another 100 pages or so, I was not disappointed with how it worked out, or how it ended. I sort of saw the end coming, but regardless, it was a go
Sherrill Watson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise was a little shaky -- ex-bomb squad Harper whose had most of one hand blown off by a bomb, Addleman, who's weird and out of a job (how does he survive again?), and a very smart bomber who eludes them - and everyone - throughout the book. Only Harper's wife seems normal - refreshing!

NOBODY will listen to Harper or Addleman, despite hard evidence. The "Celebrities" are nobody I every heard of. BUT. The book moves along very cleverly, things just squeak by the people in charge despite t
Frank
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced thriller about a former NY bomb squad cop, Harper, and a former FBI profiler, Alderman, going after the "Celebrity Bomber" who has been killing celebrities by a series of more and more sophisticated bombs over the last several years. When Harper and Alderman approach the FBI about the bomber, they are disbelieved until the next victim is killed. Then it is Harper and Alderman working pretty much on their own to try to save the final target. I would give this one a high recommendation ...more
Nenette
It's the usual bomb scare story, but this time, the people who uncovered the terrorist/bomber are people who were both ex's - ex-FBI and ex-bomb expert. How they got through, or rather behind the authorities in solving the case takes a big part of the story. I like the factoring in of the ex-bomb expert's wife - it makes him seem more real, more human. I'll definitely check out John Lutz's other books, but just like this one, I'll read the reviews first.
Jay Pal
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a former NYPD hero who became disgraced after a job gone wrong. Now he’s been pulled back into the game (vomit) by a serial killer that the FBI is denying exists. dun dun duuuuunnnnn. Anyway, this book was eh. Hope that was helpful!

FINAL REVIEW

If you like long books about bombs and retired cops, then this is for you. If you dont like long books about bombs and retired cops, then it isnt. There you go!
Kristi
Sep 24, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio
I liked this book alot, but I was listening to the Audio version...It was fabulous! The only thing that was bad was every now and again you would hear all sound stop and then it would start again and the vioce would change...same guy, just louder, or more garbled...that type of thing. It really took away from the experience. The book itself was awesome!
Melinda
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few years back.

The book was different than some of the chick lit mysteries I was used to reading and so by comparison I think I really got into it more. The book is written by a man and from a male perspective - neither of which I typically read - so that was also a nice change of pace.
Gerald Curtis
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Lutz book and I loved it. Great detective stuff, very clever villain, great bureaucracy bumbling to get in the way of resolution.

In my opinion, Lutz is hands down the equal of baldacci and I am glad to have discovered him.
Ekaizar
This was a fine detective novel, but nothing spectacular. The clues were a little too obvious, and yet the final part of the mystery a little too far-fetched. The character development was OK, but a bit too stereotypical and flat.
Marca
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will Harper, a member of the NYPD bomb squad who is injured when a bomb goes off, is pulled into an investigation that involves bombings targeted at celebrities. Likable, sensible characters. Good plot that keeps the reader on edge. Things go boom! What more could you want?
Ginny Crippen
Great book for men and women----a page turner for sure---the paperback has small print and some typos but the educated person can figure it out---has motivated me to see the movie The Hurt Locker.....
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Ken
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN
Tali Hunt
A good listen (on CD), entertaining action story.
Susan
Shelves: kindle-to-read, 2-85
David August- same person as John Lutz
Charles Thibos
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Kay
Apr 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Another new author and of course, I see I read the second in the series. It took me a little longer than usual to 'get into' the book but once I did I didn't want to put it down!
Janet
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Good
Allen
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is second in a series featuring former NYD explosives expert. in this one, lutz shares author credit with david august. promising beginning to maybe a new series.

Bev
Leonard Sperduto
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Vicious Circle
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • The Hunted
  • Burnt Sienna
  • The Experiment
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Hour of Judgment (Jurisdiction, #4)
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Spindoc (Venture Silk, #1)
  • Rainbow's End
  • The Assassin (Casca, #13)
  • Chasing Smoke
  • Paladin's Woman (The Protectors, #2)
  • Soul Survivor (Body of Evidence, #3)
  • Terminal Event:  A Novel
  • Accelerated
  • The Pledge
  • Stay...

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...