Start by marking “Plastic Hearts (Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Plastic Hearts (Hearts, #1)

Plastic Hearts (Hearts #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  4,830 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
My life has always been safe. I like it that way. I grew up in a fake society where plastic hearts rule. If our hearts are made of plastic, they can never be broken. My parents have expectations and I do everything I can to meet them, even if it means giving up on my own dreams.

Now, all I want is to be free to make my own choices.

Dane Wright is everything I have been warn
Published February 27th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Plastic Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plastic Hearts

Kristin (KC)
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
4 Stars!

Plastic Hearts are made so they cannot be broken. Cracked maybe, but never broken.

I honestly had so much fun reading this book! It was a largely character-driven story and the author did an incredible job bringing these fictional beings to life. The flirtatious dialogue and adorable banter made me giddy and allowed me to sink completely into the story until I was entirely swallowed up by it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Alexandra Riley and Dane Wright stem from opposite ends of the social and economic spectrum
Lisa Jayne
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
3 PLASTIC STARS.

description>

A debut novel that sadly didn't make me sit up and take notice, I wanted to love this book, but unfortunately it fell a little flat for me ...

What's it all about ...
Alexandra is caught in a life of fakery, surrounded by her country club class parents, friends, boyfriend and lifestyle, Alex finds herself questioning all that she has ever known and heads to college towards the unknown. Moving away to college has given Alexandra a taste of freedom that makes her former life seem
Taryn

"I love you, but I can't. You have to let me go," he said, his voice strained.

KJFHSLKFHSDLKF SDJFHLKSJFHLK !!!!!! Yeah!! NO CLIFFHANGER!!!

That's what I felt like after I finished Plastic Hearts. I couldn't even form proper sentences! I was truly blown away by this book, like knocked over kind of blown away! I couldn't think of anything else for a few days except how much I enjoyed it- and that I wanted more.

Plastic Hearts is the first in a series with an excellent start I must say. I was hooked
Jennifer Kyle
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4 1/2 Glass Stars!

Lisa De Jong's debut novel was well done and made for a good read!

Plastic Hearts is the coming of age story of Alexandra Riley. She is a college freshman who has followed her plastic parents’ plans since birth. She is studying medicine at NYU while she dreams of a career in art. Alex has never defied her parent’s expectations. She is a rule follower and a people pleaser. Alex is dating her longtime friend Ryan but there aren’t any sparks. While dancing at a night club she meet
Christy
4.5 Stars

photo 8872b4f1-4a50-46f8-b9a3-55d1e3890a84_zpsc126d888.jpg
Alexandrea Riley’s life was completely planned out for her. She was going to be a doctor. She was going to marry someone who was in her parent’s social circle. If she didn’t live up to these expectations, there would be consequences. She was going thorough the motions, but not really living. She wasn’t happy. She wanted more. Alex is dating Ryan, one of her best friends, but she didn’t feel anything but f
Amy (Foxy)
FREE -> http://amzn.to/1r3lN5P
7/22/2014
************************************

Plastic hearts are made so they cannot be broken. Cracked maybe, but never broken. They made decision based on outward appearances and ignored all emotion. That was applied to all aspects of life, even relationships.

Dane Wright is all kinds of 'right' for me!

He makes me feel-

SERIES:
Plastic Hearts (Hearts, #1) by Lisa De Jong Glass Hearts (Hearts, #2) by Lisa De Jong
No cliffhangers. Continuing story.
Smitten's Book Blog

An absolutely beautiful book. I was really feeling the need for a bit of back-to-school/college, teen/young adult romance and Plastic Hearts totally filled that spot.

This was such an easy read for me. It flowed, it was engaging, I liked the characters, it was well paced and I didn't want to put it down.

Quick Outline:
Alexandra Riley's parents have her life mapped out for her. She is expected to become a doctor,
Liz
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 Incredible Breakable Hearts

Debut Novel… Did I have that right? Because this was a phenomenal story that tugged at my heart from the first chapter until the last. I was so involved with the characters, that I forgot they were fictional. My emotions took hold of me without any effort. Ms. DeJong, in my opinion has this natural gift at writing which was flawless!

Life is surely a puzzle for Alexandra Riley. But the catch is, she has no idea where the pieces should fit. Her family pulled all the
Bayli
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After i read this book i had to sit and think about what I wanted to say in my review.

Almost immediately I thought of one of my favorite quotes.

[image error]

Perfect. That quote is what this story is all about.

Alex Riley has had the perfect life. Parents that give her every materialistic object anyone could ever want. They bought and gave her a car, they gave her multiple credit cards, paid for her schooling, send her a rather large allowance every month. She grew up in a huge home with multiple
Lise *friends don't flag*
description

“To all those who’ve ever had a dream and reached for it…”

This is a very sweet story about a young women struggling with what she has always done and been and what she really wants to do and become.
Dane Wright, the ultimate NA genre tatted bad boy sexy hero, wants to help her on her road to discovery. In fact - “We can’t be friends, I meant that,” he stepped closer to me, never breaking eye contact. “I want you to be my girl”

And boy does he ever. Dane does everything possible to convince Ale
Lisa De Jong
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
I freaking loved this book! As soon as I saw the cover I knew I wanted to read it!!
The plot of Plastic Hearts had so much in it! It is about finding love, standing up for yourself and following your heart! The plot made me laugh, cry and smile! It was so cute and I fell in love with it!
The characters were written amazingly and I really enjoyed all of them! Alex was the main character and Plastic Hearts was written from her point of view!
I loved that Alex was completely down to earth and I espec
Lisa
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
On sale for 99 cents through Monday...
Vibha★
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it

4 give-me-some-more-Dane-Wright-stars!!

Plastic Hearts is the story of Alex Riley.She is a girl who has always lived life according to her parents well mapped out plans.She has always done what they said,is a people pleaser and does what others want her to do.Alex is studying medicine at NYU but longs for a career in art.She dates the guys who have a respectable status in her mother's social circle and as per her mom's wishes.She is a Riley by blood but she is nothing like them.She hates the plas
Brooke
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars for this incredible story about life and what it means to follow your heart.

Plastic Hearts was a true joy to read.

Alex is a young college freshman who has spent her entire life doing exactly what is expected of her. Her parents are pretentious snobs and only care about how their daughter makes them look. Alex feelings don't matter and it broke my heart to see the internal struggles Alex had to deal with on a daily basis. I instantly saw some of myself in Alex. I understood the need to
Lisa
Okay I need to take some deep calming breaths before I dive into the emotions that are rolling around in my brain right now. I go into every book with the anticipation that I am going to love it…I’m an optimist! Most of the time it works out (yay me!) – then I run into books like Plastic Hearts that BLOW. ME. AWAY. with the awesomeness that I read and was completely emotionally unprepared for.

I had been keeping up with the teasers on Lisa’s FB author page…I was sold on reading Plastic Hearts fr
Steph
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
This book was exactly what I needed. I knew I would only be able to read a chapter or two a day because I was moving house. So I needed a book that I could read in little pieces and it not be a problem. This book was perfect!
There's such a warm and beautiful love story within these pages. It's sweet and light and fun. Reminding us all of a time when a certain guy was our entire world. A world where your parent's word is final and you wouldn't dare question their wishes, no matter how much they
Kellie Maddox-Ward

It went a little something like this:

Good girl meets bad guy.
Insta Lust
Good girl Alexandria/Alex from rich family but doesn’t fit in
Bad Boy Dane covered in tattoos and from the bad side of the tracks
Alex wants Dane
Dane wants Alex
They hook up
Explosive sex
Dane is 100% utterly amazing, book boyfriend material and in deep with Alex
Alex is a silly bitch who you want to hate for breaking Danes heart
Dane breaks your heart cos you love him too much and it hurts to feel him hurt.
Alex gets her s
Macha
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-the-ebook
Live YOUR life ... Go for YOUR dreams... Do what makes YOU happy. :D

Loved this book!!! Starting the second one right away! :)

Fiction And Fashion Book Blog
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brittany’s Review: 4 Stars!

www.fictionandfashion.com

Dane's Bookboyfriend page:

Let me start by saying that I LOVED the idea of this story. Rich girl, a family with high expectations, falling for someone her parents would never approve of? Awesome. I definitely jumped at the opportunity when Lisa asked us to review for her. I might have stolen this one for myself {grin}.

“Happiness is more important than money.”

I don’t even know where to start. I’ll first s
Sona
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book let me think in the thing we do to stay in safety side and far away from the unknown and the thought of that made me angry

But back to the book all i felt was angry and disappointed and frustrated by ALEX

And more i read about her talking or thinking on and on about her controlling parents and her life i felt sick and angry with her and i just wont to kick her , smack her hard and smash her head in the wall

THERE WAS ONE WORD TO DESCRIBE ALXE IN MY HEAD ( SHE THE BIGGEST COWARD IN TH
Angela Mclaurin
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first novel for Lisa De Jong and she has stolen my heart! I instantly fell in love with Dane and boy oh boy, he is super swoon worthy. Alex can't help but fall in love with him as well. She's constantly battling with her path in life. Does she choose the path her parents have set for her, or does she follow her heart into places she never even imagined?

This story flowed effortlessly and I could not put it down. It was one of those books you read just dying to find out what happe
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
This one was just okay for me. It really didn't bring anything new or different to the table.

The story never really grabbed me and I had a hard time sticking with it and finishing it--I think I ended up reading three different books in between the start and finish of this one.

I found the dialogue to rather cheesy and the story to be filled with one cliche after another. It was also very predictible. I knew how it was all going to go down from the very beginning.

Alex has always let her parents
Anne OK
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Fantastic debut by Lisa De Jong. Can't wait for her release of "Glass Hearts," the second installment in June. Although readers will find a number of similarities to other stories on the market, the characters and wonderful writing style here gives "Plastic Hearts" a cut above some of the others I've read recently.
Jamie
4 1/2 stars!!! Posted at www.Addicted2Heroine.com

Plastic Hearts was not what I was expecting when I began reading this book. It is a heart wrenching story of self discovery and self acceptance that went much deeper than I anticipated. This story was awesome - from the characters to the topics covered to the relationships examined.

Every now and then, someone would tell me they wished they had my life. I may have a nice house, expensive clothes and a generous monthly allowance, but my life was not
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

I went back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars, but ultimately Alex pissed me off too much, especially towards the last 30%.

Alex is rich and her parents are all about appearances. Dane is from the wrong side of the tracks. He has tattoos, is an art major and works as a bartender. Alex and Dane have a class together and despite Alex’s parent’s wishes, she forms a relationship with Dane.

To sum up Plastic He
Tonya
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Plastic hearts is a story of love, loss, need, want, and hurt.

So many times I was so frustrated with Alex, she made me.......

I wanted to reach through tis iPad and choke her or at least smack some sense into her. I know she wanted to please others but that will never happen. You will never please everyone. Her parents were pathetic and they truly had plastic hearts. I am not even sure why those two had children. I guess to make them look good, who knows but all they did was make me feel, rage a
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
this book came to me VERY highly recommended from a friend. when i first started reading it, i was kind of thinking, "ok, same ol', same ol'. sheltered girl meets the BMOC who she really shouldn't be involved with," but this story evolved into so much more than that.
alex is one of those spoiled, little rich girls that i want to smack. repeatedly. thank goodness for her roommate and confidante, jade.
dane is one of those guys who is cocky on the outside because he needs to protect what's on the
Samantha Jones
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There isn't many books that have made me emotional whilst i've read them.. Maybe one or two.. But this book.. Wow! The fact that Alex truly hasn't been loved by her parents made it hard for her to believe and fall in love. I thought they were bitter and it frustrated me.. But i think it was more reading about a man being pained by love that got me.. Dane would be the perfect boyfriend! 5 stars definitely i cannot wait for glass hearts to come out! This book is going to be on my mind for a while!
Book Junkies: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 2 15 May 16, 2013 07:33PM
The YA Dystopian ...: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 1 7 May 15, 2013 05:28PM
*~Can't Stop Read...: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 1 4 May 14, 2013 02:47AM
Steampunk, New We...: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 1 7 May 14, 2013 02:44AM
Romance, Historic...: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 1 5 May 14, 2013 02:31AM
Book Haven: Plastic Hearts Giveaway 1 3 May 14, 2013 02:19AM
  • Breaking the Wrong (Sloan Brothers, #2)
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
  • Waiting for You (Waiting for You, #1)
  • Champagne Toast (Love of My Life, #2)
  • Reckless Abandon (November Blue, #2)
  • Destined to Change (Destined, #1)
  • Broken
  • Give Me Something (Give Me Something, #1)
  • Love and Truth
  • Happenstance (A Second Chance, #1)
  • Depths (Silver Strand, #2)
  • The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)
  • Wreck Me (Wrecked, #1)
  • Metamorphosis (Book Boyfriend, #1)
  • Beautiful Goodbye (Beautiful, #1)
  • Emancipating Andie
  • Running on Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)
  • Documentary (Documentary, #1)

Hearts (2 books)
  • Glass Hearts (Hearts, #2)
“Life inspires me. Life is unfair, unkind and unforeseeable. It knocks you down when you least expect it.” 39 likes
“We all make mistakes and do things we wish we could take back, but it is what we do after that truly matters…and I like your after.” 38 likes