Start by marking “Last Train to Deadsville (Criminal Macabre: A Cal McDonald Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Last Train to Deadsville (Criminal Macabre: A Cal McDonald Mystery #2)

Last Train to Deadsville (Criminal Macabre: A Cal McDonald Mystery #2)

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Supernatural private eye Cal McDonald thinks he's seen it all, at least until a couple of rampaging rednecks bust through his door hootin' about demonic possessions. Thus begins Cal's most spine-chilling (and side-splitting) case yet. Southern California backwater brimming with monsters and mullets.
Published May 10th 2005 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Last Train to Deadsville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Train to Deadsville

Christopher
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Last review, I questioned if cleaner art in the same type would hurt the tone. I didn't get that answer here, but did get the answer to "would a different style hurt the tone?" which is, 'oh lord, yes.' Deadsville is a complete visual shift, and one I don't like for the character. It's much more 'monster of the week' and less noir. I'm not even tagging this one noir on GR.

But the art isn't the downfall of this collection. The writing just isn't nearly as good. Cal is more asshole than smart-ass.
Mike Jozic
Normally I love me a Cal McDonald mystery, and the artwork of Kelley Jones is often a selling point for any comic series. "Last Train to Deadsville", though, just misfires on so many levels that I find it difficult to even give it the three star rating I have.

Cal is beligerent and unpleasant in a way that is less than endearing, the story Niles is telling here is trite and clichéd with little nuance, and the whole thing seems really, really rushed. Maybe it's the way Jones interprets the script
Mathew Carruthers
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the second volume in the series and I have not read the first - maybe I'd like it more if I'd read the first volume. As it is, though, this isn't bad - I enjoyed it. It's pretty easy to follow, but I do want to know more about the main character and his sidekick. Paranormal mystery - I'm sure it will draw comparisons to Hellblazer and unfortunately, it would be way out of its league, as that bar is set pretty high.
Jeremy
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
The library is filled with books with pun titles that mix things like food and murder, so you get Whipped Scream and Other Frights, or Muffin de Siecle. Actually, both of those are better than any of the real ones.

The pun in this title has nothing to do with the story. Kelley Jones draws creepy stuff really well, and I will always love/hate people (real and imaginary) who drink a lot and get into fights. This was a nice diversion from an otherwise stressful day.
eHawk
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was hesitant to get into this book because templesmith's art drew me to book one, and I wasn't sure if I wanted a different artistic interpretation. This was great imagery and a lighter story than criminal macabre but a lot of fun.
Grayson
Oct 08, 2012
Endless Warner
Nov 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
STEVE NILES is one of the writers responsible for bringing horror comics back to prominence, and was recently named by Fangoria magazine as one of it's "13 rising talents who promise to keep us terrified for the next 25 years."

Niles is currently working for the four top American comic publishers - Marvel, DC, Image and Dark Horse. He got his start in the industry when he formed his own publishing
More about Steve Niles

Criminal Macabre: A Cal McDonald Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Criminal Macabre (Criminal Macabre: A Cal McDonald Mystery #1)
  • Criminal Macabre: Supernatural Freak Machine
  • Criminal Macabre: Two Red Eyes
  • Criminal Macabre: My Demon Baby: A Cal McDonald Mystery
  • Criminal Macabre: Cell Block 666
  • Drawing On Your Nightmares
  • Criminal macabre: Feat of clay
  • Criminal Macabre: The Iron Spirit
  • Criminal Macabre: No Peace for Dead Men
  • Criminal Macabre: Die, die my darling!