Start by marking “The Highwayman's Footsteps” as Want to Read:
The Highwayman's Footsteps

The Highwayman's Footsteps

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"The novel gallops along at a cracking pace, packed full of plot twisters." — THE HERALD (UK)

"I felt cold metal on the side of my skull before I heard the voice. I knew at once what it was. A pistol. Resting on the bone just behind my ear. The favorite place for murderers, robbers, highwaymen — because, by angling the pistol slightly inward, they could be sure to blow a ma
Published October 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published November 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman's Footsteps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highwayman's Footsteps

Maryana
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-fiction
Inspired by the famous poem by Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman’s Footsteps trace the adventures of William, a young runaway and his friend Bess, a highwayman’s daughter. 18th century England is a context of national turmoil. Against this backdrop, the pair must determine the boundaries between right and wrong as they try to make a difference.

Morgan is certainly true to her inspiration and uses rich and vivid poetic language in order to bring the time and place of her tale to epic life. Words are c
Jalyn Ely
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I don’t normally read historical fiction, but two things convinced me to pick up this book. One was the promise of highwaymen, which sounded at least interesting. The other was the three-dollar price tag. I figured for three bucks, it couldn’t be that bad.

It wasn’t exactly like I expected, but it wasn’t bad. And it’s almost funny that Henry played such a big part in the story (despite the fact that he wasn’t in much of it) and wasn’t even mentioned in the synopsis.

Will was the main character and
Harley
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you like Adventure and History this is your book.
This book is called The Highwayman’s Footsteps. Author of this book is Nicola Morgan. She wrote other books like Chicken Friend, Flesh Market, and The Passion Flower Massacre.
The story starts in the old days when the Revolution war was starting. A young boy that has every thing he could ever dream of runs away from home. He leaves because his dad was a very mean man. Who leads the war for the British.
When he runs away he goes into an ally and a young girl points a gun at him. She is really
Kaitlyn
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Okay, I liked the main character of this book. He wasn't perfect, but he was well-intentioned and I felt fairly believeable. Yes, he was rather typical. However, he seemed like the kind of guy I wouldn't mind knowing, and while he didn't make for an absolutely fabulous main, he wasn't bad. Bess I didn't like NEARLY as much, probably because of my problem with strong, beautiful, independant heroines without faults. Yeah... she bugged me. But it was okay... except for a few things.
First of all...
Pip
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books
A pretty average book. Not great but not bad. The start of the book was good, straight into the action with the main character being held at gun point and telling himself 'I am not a true gentelman! I should have duelled my father and brother for that insult!' but after what I thought was a strong opening it quickly deteriorated. Will, you're a good character but please stop asking questions! They made up the majority of the book so after the 5th chapter the book really became a chore for me. I ...more
Harrison Kessel
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spoilers in the Second Paragraph so don't read it if you are interested in this book.

I thought this book was good, although sometimes repetitive in nature. The narrator tells the story in english similar to that of the time period, which makes the story seem kind of slow but at the same time is done skill fully and makes the book seem much more realistic. The narrator also thinks the thoughts and has feelings similar to that time period which has the same effect as the historic english. However,
David
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
The Highwayman's footsteps really delves into a real historical viewpoint of the classes in 18th century England (Pre-American Revolution)... A young nobleman, experiencing cruelty from his brother and injustice (caused by the brother's lies) at the hands of his father, runs away from home. He finds himself at the mercy of a highwayman (sort of) and quickly a bond is formed between the two.

This one is written for the young adult market, but I found it very, very, well written, though at times,
Edy Gies
Do you like rhetorical questions? Do you as a reader ask questions which you don't intend to get answers to? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to read a book that was one quarter questions? Well, here it is. The Highwayman's Footsteps is your book if you like all that. Okay, I get it or at least I think I get it. At the beginning of the story there are mostly questions because the antagonist is confused and lack confidence. As he gains confidence his questions lessen and he speaks mor ...more
Heather
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it

I enjoyed following the story of Will and Bess, two young people thrown together under unusual circumstances. Will is the second son of a rich but cruel nobleman, and strong-headed Bess is the daughter of the highwayman featured in the famous poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. I've always loved this poem so I found the story intriguing and the author did a great job weaving the poem throughout the story. Of the two protagonists, I found Will more interesting as he struggled with the
Sammi
Jun 19, 2009 rated it liked it
This book has a lot of morality questions in it. It talks about social status, and it's implications, as well as why we do the things we do. On top of that, it had many insinuations that women are less worthy than men, which is natural considering the time period it is set in. Some of the views were interesting, but many of them, also were irritating. Will spends so much time pondering right, wrong, and how he's about to die, we sometimes forget that there is an actual story behind it all. On to ...more
Kathy
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I liked how both Will and Bess's attitudes and opinions changed and especially how Will learned that all people are the same regardless of social stature or race.

I liked Bess's strength and very much like that even though she was the strong one, the "girl power" message wasn't preachy or over done.

I was very impressed by how the author interwove the glorious poem the Highwayman in to the story and still stayed true to it.

I do have to say I was slightly perturbed by the en
Natalie
May 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
Will has run away from his family and a life he doesn't want. On his way, he meets a young woman named Bess, who tries to kill him. Instead of leaving her to die, Will decides to nurse her back to health and stay with her, if she allows it.

But Bess has some plans of her own. Forced to see the poverty in the everyday man's way of life, Will decides to help her confront the one man he's always feared - his father.

An action-packed story with a wavering voice. The author tries to write in the way of
Liz
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: partial-reads

I wanted to love this book, honestly I did. I loved the idea of and was excited to read a novel based around one of my favorite poems, "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. But it just didn't live up to my hopes. The language felt clunky and didn't read smoothly and the main character's constant questioning and inner turmoil grated my nerves. The retelling of the events of the famous poem felt too much like a copy-and-paste project with some added details and paraphrasing. Overall, I was bored.
Jenny
May 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Will is a highborn second son fleeing his father and brother. Now he's being robbed at pistol point, only to find its a wounded girl, Bess. The two build trust in each other as they flee redcoats. Their pasts come out, and it may be the only thing that will save them is the ghost of a highwayman, Bess's father.
Claire
Dec 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 and up
Set in the mists of Scotland's history, The Highwayman's Footsteps leads us on a chase for justice through the farm holds, woods, moors and towns. The unlikely duo of the soft-hearted son of a lord and a hiwayman's gritty daughter strive together to combat the iron hand of the gentry that is squeezing the life from the Scots.
Emily Richey
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-faves
Really neat twist on The Highwayman, a poem I have always loved. The author really keeps you guessing on everything that's going to happen next, a really rare quality to find in most books nowadays. Really an inspiration and hope for all writers!!
Katie Jane
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This historical fiction novel tells the story of the daughter of the Highwayman and the landlord's daughter from the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. I came across it while I was browsing the library shelves, and I'm glad I did. Action-packed to say the least.
Molly
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first read The Highwayman in seventh grade, it transfixed me, so, naturally, when I found this book, I could't wait to see what it was all about. IT'S WONDERFUL! Read it. I promise you won't regret it.
PickyReader
I'm not sure why, but I just can't read this book. The pace is very dull, and so is the narrator. I'm sure his point of view kept up with the times he was supposed to be in, but his voice is very dull. I don't like him.

I got to page 146 before I realized I had enough.

The end.
Erin
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is not exactly a romance, but I found it romantic. The way the story was told certainly made my heart flutter.
Lily
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book reconnected me to my absolute love for Alfred Noyes' poem The Highwayman, and for that I thank it. So many fangirl moments reading this book.
Jeanette
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the story, but it had a little too much self reflection for me. I found myself skipping over sections.
Jaden (Potterhead Daydreams)
I frst fought this book was 3 0ut 5 and went to a 2 it just really not my type of story.
Hailey
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Hailey by: My friend Kennedy
Shelves: favorites
I loved the way the author writes. She based this story on a poem. You have to read it. I haven't read a book like this one for a while.
Gordon
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, but sadly the ending was a slight letdown. A real shame as this book had amazing potential.
Rachel
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Very slow moving. The main characters thoughts come out in lots of questions which makes it harder to read. The questions get a little boring after awhile.
Megan Farabaugh
  • At the Sign of the Star
  • The Paradise Trap
  • Song of the Slums
  • Strange Objects
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Glasswrights' Progress (Glasswright, #2)
  • Lord Gray's List (The London List, #1)
  • Bargain Bride