Start by marking “Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #40)” as Want to Read:
Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #40)

Third Girl

(Hercule Poirot #40)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  25,691 ratings  ·  1,250 reviews
Three young women share a London flat. The first is a coolly efficient secretary. The second is an artist. The third interrupts Hercule Poirot’s breakfast confessing that she is a murderer—and then promptly disappears.

Slowly, Poirot learns of the rumors surrounding the mysterious third girl, her family, and her disappearance. Yet hard evidence is needed before the great de
Published 2002 by HarperCollins (first published November 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Third Girl, please sign up.
Tina I loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger…moreI loved it. Set in the 60's was a change for Christie. Some reviews I read didn't like the angle of writing but I think the disapproval of the younger style of dress was correct as it was from an older point of view. It left me wanting to pick up more of her books.(less)

·  25,691 ratings  ·  1,250 reviews

Start your review of Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #40)
carol.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, should-buy
Imagine, if you will, being a famous female mystery author. You’ve been publishing for over forty-five years, and you’ve become more than a bit tired of your fans’ favorite detective, the egg-headed Hercule Poirot. What’s a person to do? Try a mystery where there’s no murder, only a confused, drugged twenty-something who is sure she’s committed one. Poirot, of course, has his suspicions early on:

“She is not one who can cope with difficulties. She is not one of those who can see before hand the d
Ahmad Sharabiani
Third Girl (Hercule Poirot #38), Agatha Christie

Third Girl is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie and first published in the UK by the Collins Crime Club in November 1966.

It features her Belgian detective Hercule Poirot and the recurring character Ariadne Oliver.

The novel is notable for being the first in many years in which Poirot is present from beginning to end.

It is uncommon in that the investigation includes discovering the first crime, which happens comparatively late in the
Adrian
Its strange, i don't remember ever reading this book before,and yet it's turned out to be one of my favourites. More thoughts tomorrow.

As other people have mentioned this (wonderful) book features both Hercule Poirot and Ariadne Oliver from the very beginning, and that alone is worth half a star each. Add to that an interesting and convoluted story, some other great characters and wonderful settings of dingy London and aristocratic suburbs, and well you're already up to 4 stars.
Make the mystery
Gene
A young woman came to Poirot early in the morning. She said she thought she had killed somebody, but did not give any details as upon seeing Poirot she decided he is too old and left. At that time Poirot was bored. He was also intrigued by the visit and hurt by her thinking he was old. He decided to find her again. The rest of the book was spent on half the population of London and nearby countryside making fuss around this girl, exactly in the way a young hen does about its very first laid egg. ...more
mark monday
Dec 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are an apartment in London. It is the Swingin’ 60s, man, and everything is new and shiny and groovy and covered with flowers. Psychiatry: what a mind trip, it’s crazy! Drugs: they’re everywhere – and sometimes not so groovy! You have room for three girls, you spacious bohemian pad you... but three girls in swingin’ London can sometimes equal trouble: Murder Trouble! Whatever is a hepcat apartment to do? Time to bring in an old-school private detective and his square
daph pink ♡
3✨

JULY 2020- book 11

(I don't review her books, never could because honestly I will be bias because I love her. )

For all who don't know , I am in love with Agatha Christie ever since I started reading her books( 5 years ago) and I planned to read a book of her each month so that I don't run out of her books !
Archit
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want a murder.

- Hercule Poirot

Agatha Christie held me captive.

I should not have postponed reading this classic this long. DANG! Better late than never.

A young woman approaches you and confesses that "She might have committed a murder." and leaves the house without throwing any lights on the matter. What do you make up of this incident? Do you think she's a troubled mad girl, that she's facing some family issues and forget about everything altogether?

A normal person would shake it all off.

Bu
Dave Schaafsma
"I want a murder!"--Poirot (not that the Belgian wants to see anyone dead, really. A murder has been claimed, and none has been proven)

A “third girl” is a reference to the intricacies of flat rental, I learn. A woman rents a flat and then invites a friend in to join her. Then they advertise for a “third girl” to share with them, who apparently is not usually a friend. Not surprisingly, this third girl idea makes its way into the plot in more than one way.

Norma, our third girl, comes to Poirot to
Fiona MacDonald
Ashamed to say this was not Agatha Christie on top form. I really wasn't a fan of this, and although the story was explained at the end I still didn't feel it made any sense! Poirot is going a bit downhill I feel by now, and like in the book beforehand that I read, Christie seems fed up of him as a character. It really shows. Interesting story, but too drawn out and just not enjoyable! ...more
Tim
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well… It’s not as bad as The Big Four at least! Yeah, that’s about the most in terms of praise I can personally give this one. Now don’t get me wrong, Christie wrote so many books that I am in no way upset when I read a “bad” one, but it is a little disappointing that I say this is my second to least favorite in the series.

There are so many issues with this one. For a good portion of the novel there isn’t an actual case to be solved, just Poirot going “Hmm… it feels like there should be a case
Piyangie
When a young client refuses to consult Poirot in a case concerning her because he is "too old", Poirot's pride is wounded and his ability is challenged. So without either the consent or knowledge of the young girl, he voluntarily involves himself. In involving himself, he not only saves the young girl from impending danger but proves that he, Hercule Poirot, is undefeatable.

The murder-mystery is not one of Agatha Christie's best, but it was still made interesting by Poirot's manner, conduct, me
Sam
Aug 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Agatha Christie fans
Shelves: fiction
Well, as my first Agatha Christie book in about 20 years, i'm told this was a bad choice. Christie wrote it later in her life, and in a bid to maintain some relevance with the younger people, wrote in a lot of jargon about drugs and young people and their strange ways. The jargon and stereotypes didn't bother me so much - they were quaint and at times humorous, but forgivable in most circumstances. What was bothersome about the book was that it had some difficulty in getting started, and when it ...more
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very entertaining and fast read.
I read it and simultaneously listened to the audiobook narrated by Hugh Fraser, who, once again, did a terrific job.
There is an adaptation for the TV, with David Suchet playing the beloved detective.
This was a re-read, but first time in English.
I liked it more this time, plus the additional pleasure of the audiobook.
I had previously rated it 3 stars. Perhaps something was lost in translation or I was too young when I read it for the first time.
Veronique
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

“Eh bien, then, you are crazy, or appear crazy or you think you are crazy, and possibly you may be crazy.”

This one was so much fun! Not only did it feature Ariadne Oliver, a firm favourite, but this novel had plenty of humour and a great ‘mystery’ to unravel. One for once that I was able to solve ;O) Loved it.
Janelle
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, library
I really enjoyed this later Christie novel, the 38th! Poirot book published in 1966. Particularly the early sections had me smiling as Christie herself seemed to be poking fun at her character Poirot and also herself (I assume the character, Ariadne Oliver, a crime writer is a bit of a parody of herself). There’s also lots of comments by the older characters looking at the younger generations and being judgemental, the generation gap seems to be huge in the late 60s!
The story opens with a young
Clare Snow
While looking for the third girl, Poirot & Mrs Oliver took up a third too many pages.
Kavita
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uk, mystery
It's not that Agatha Christie has never written a bad book in her career. Though I love most of her books, I do not like some of her more political novels. So while I am not shocked that I disliked this book, never has Christie written something so meandering and pointless.

Till the last chapter, the book seems to have no plot at all. There is no murder committed, there is nothing happening. There are not even any interesting interactions between the various characters like in The Hollow before
Branwen Sedai *of the Brown Ajah*
"Where there is murder, anything can happen."

Can you believe I have gone my whole life without reading an Agatha Christie novel?!?

I know, right?! Me either! ;)

So I picked this one up, along with a few others, at my local used bookstore on a whim and decided to give her a shot. I am really glad that I did, because this book was very enjoyable!

Hercule Poirot is a Belgium detective who is approached by a young girl who thinks she has committed a murder. Shortly after she disappears and Poirot must
W
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christie
A young girl comes to Hercule Poirot,telling him she may have committed a murder.After that,however,she tells Poirot that he is " too old" and goes away.Agatha Christie might as well have been talking about herself being too old when she wrote this.

The book is boring.I remember struggling through this one and don't recall anything particulaly enjoyable about it.
So,yes Christie did write some bad books too.
Nancy Oakes
Hercule Poirot is now in his 35th adventure; after this one, he has only three more contemporary appearances -- in Hallow'een Party, Elephants Can Remember, and Curtain.

Third Girl is set smack in the mid-sixties. It's a time when men are wearing such clothes as "elaborate velvet waistcoat[s:], skin-tight pants," and wearing their hair long in "rich curls of chestnut," while women were wearing

"the clothes of their generation: black high leather boots, white open-work stockings of doubtful cleanl
samantha  Bookworm-on-rainydays
Great fun read. Hercules Poirot is a great character. This is an intriguing plot.
fleurette
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is certainly not Agatha Christie's best book. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a bad story. Just not as entertaining as some of her other novels.

First of all, probably because I was able to guess some solutions myself. Although they are unbelievable, they are not that difficult to guess. Especially when you know Christie's other books and tropes she likes. This is not a big problem but it takes some joy from the final reveal.

Secondly, the whole story somehow didn't pull me in like some oth
QHuong(BookSpy)

I was so surprised after finishing this book. The whole book was dedicated to a crime that seemed didn't exists at all. There was no death, no killer, just a bunch of potential suspects that added to nothing. It seemed like Poirot was holding straws - he kept looking for clues, clues of something that didn't happen. Yes, we would think he grew old now, he was not as shrewd and quick as before. However, those final chapters - they were mind blowing. Now I understood. Murders. Motives. Al
Helen
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm loving reading Agatha Christie! Not dated, quirky characters and very interesting plots! ...more
Bruce Beckham
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Not the strongest Poirot ever written, and perhaps that was because by 1966 both he and his creator were a little past their prime.

Indeed the novel opens with a ‘modern’ young woman (the ‘Third Girl’ of the title) first requesting but then rejecting the legendary detective’s services for being, in her words, “too old”.

That she has confessed to a murder, however, has the timeworn moustaches twitching with youthful verve!

The generation gap is a constant theme – not only playing out in fiction, bu
Lata
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ariadne Oliver is back! Wonderful! And between interrogating and following people, she actually ends up saying and finding some really important things to Poirot. Things that enable Poirot to think his way through what is a nicely complicated case: a young woman tells Poirot, and others, that she thinks she's committed a murder. Her words and behaviour are sufficiently intriguing that Poirot stirs himself from his office and reading, puts on his "foreigner" act and lays on the charm, while worki ...more
Kyleigh
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.6/5 ⭐️

STORY 4.5/5 -it was slow to start but once things really got rolling it was EXTREMELY well crafted. I didn’t love the very ending though and by that I mean the last line or two of the book fell flat for me.

CHARACTERS 4.5/5 - I love Poirot and Ms. Oliver and some of the supporting characters were good too but I found myself getting confused as to who was who.

WRITING 5/5 - like I said this was extremely well crafted. I couldn’t believe how smart the mystery was step by step.

ENJOYMENT 4.5/5
Thomas Strömquist
DNF @ 24 %

"Are you - is that M. Poirot?"
"I, myself."
"It's Mrs. Oliver - your voice sounds different. I didn't recognise it at first."

I don't blame Ariadne Oliver, there's not much I recognise at all about the Belgian detective in this late and unengaging book. Perhaps my AC excursion is over now?"
John
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agatha-christie
I enjoyed reading Third Girl. Me of Christie’s later novels. A young girl goes to Poirot tells him she has murdered someone then says he’s to old for the case and runs away. Poirot through his friend Ariadne Oliver identifies the girl as Norma Restarick who comes from a wealthy family. Her father who she has not seen since she was five ran off to Africa with his mistress Louise. He has returned with his wife Mary who Norma hates.

Overlaid is the 1960s drug scene. Norma believes she is doing and
Vikas Singh
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-book
There is only one draw back with this novel- There are just too many coincidences. And these coincidences help Poirot solve the case. For the first time we see Poirot genuinely aggrieved when a young girl tells him that he is Old! It takes all the patience and diplomacy of Mrs. Oliver to soothe his nerves. Otherwise a nice intriguing plot with usual twisted ending. Interesting read.
Reading the Detec...: Poirot Buddy Read 37: Third Girl 15 19 Nov 18, 2020 12:02AM
Agatha Christie L...: August 2016 - Third Girl 27 64 Sep 06, 2016 08:32PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Third Girl by Agatha Christie 7 45 Apr 01, 2015 12:23AM

• Black Coffee
  • Spider's Web
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • The Power of Vedic Maths
  • Agatha Christie's Poirot: The Greatest Detective in the World
  • Jataka Tales
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery
See top shelves…

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)