Start by marking “MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers” as Want to Read:
MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  3,077 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Since the publication of the first edition in 1977, more than three million copies of the highly regarded MLA Handbook have been sold. The Handbook includes a discussion of student research and writing, sections on using computer technology in preparing research papers, standards for the mechanics of writing, complete instructions of using MLA documentation style, extensiv ...more
Paperback, Third Edition
Published 1988 by Modern Language Association of America (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

James
According to the blurb on the back cover, NEWSWEEK has said the MLA Handbook is "The style bible for most college students," and I'm confident this is very much the truth. Nevertheless, this (indispensable) guidebook fails quite miserably in qualifying as a joy to read, and, thus, I am led to ponder that Satan himself may be using "Joseph Gibaldi" as a pen-name. If the Bible was the greatest story ever told, then the MLA Handbook is, perhaps, the greatest necessary evil ever written.

So, I'll ave
Lit Bug
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
A great, terrifying scrutiny of every single thing you need to know about writing a proper, acceptable thesis. Super-annoying, super-useful. Confusing with its wealth of detail but really simple if you know where you’re headed. I got a really blasting headache making sense of it.

Citing a thesis is definitely harder than writing a thesis. Now, please spare the poor person who spent years on researching and writing. Wasn’t that enough for you folks up there??? Leave us alone!!!
K.
Jan 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-work
Chris
May 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Useful, yes. Also, it makes good kindling when you're ready to go on the lam after murdering people due to the absurdity of the MLA format.
Adam Wilsman
4. The Format of the Research Paper
5. Documentation: Preparing the List of Works Cited
6. Documentation: Citing Sources in the Text
7. Abbreviations

"If you borrow more than once from the same source within a single paragraph and no borrowing from another source intervenes, you may give a single parenthetical reference after the last borrowing."

"The second parenthetical citation omits the author's nam
Sean McBride
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studying
So I'm not real sure how to edit this, but it was a challenge. In an effort to improve my knowledge and grammatical and editorial skills I decided, like A.J. Jacobs did with the encyclopedia to read this thing straight through. I did glean a bevy of knowledge on how to cite appropriately and I now k ow that the abbreviation for ezra is...ezra, but overall I'd say to leave this book fir what it's meant for...referencing for when you're unsure of something instead of reading it all the way through ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people required to use it when writing a research paper
Shelves: writing, reference
At some point in my life, most probably when I was in college, but maybe in high school too, I used this book as a guide to writing a research paper. I didn't read the book cover to cover. That would be silly.

I'll probably have to use it again if I ever write another research paper. The chance of that happening is slim.
Drew Lackovic
Jan 29, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never found a MLA formatting book that I've been happy with. This one lives up to the low standard I've grown to expect for MLA books. It seems every time I need to do a strange quotation, these books never really have an answer in an easily findable/existing manner.
Stacy Davis-White
If I never have to see this book again..it will be too soon!!!!!!
Rambling Reader
it's okay. purdue owl writing center has a more useful resource webpage on citations.
Steven
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book use to be my go to source for research papers. In recent times, my professors assign special standards for research papers.
Carly
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
Absolutely riveting.
sabisteb
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sachbuch
MLA, man mag es oder hasst es. Ich bin eigentlich andere Zitiersysteme gewöhnt, die deutlich logischer strukturiert sind. Im MLA System fehlt mir eine durchgehende Logik. Wie auch immer, es ist nicht an mir zu entscheiden, wie MLA auszusehen hat und dass es eigentlich komplett schwachsinnig ist, bei Webseiten keine Links anzugeben und bei Büchern keine ISBN, das müssten die Geisteswissenschaftler unter sich ausmachen.

Letzendlich hat dieses Buch einen eher begrenzten Nutzen, es gibt bessere Webse
Amanda Daugherty
Gibaldi, J., & Modern Language Association of America. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America.

Citation created by: Amanda Daugherty

Type of reference: Handbook

Call number: 808.027

Description: This is the handbook that contains all the rules and examples to use when citing information using the MLA format.

Content/Scope: This is the 7th edition of the MLA handbook. It contains the rules on how to properly write citations for informa
Nicole Pramik
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Naturally, this has been the go-to citation format guide for years, as I had this text assigned to me when I was a college student and I've assigned it as an English professor to my classes. Thus, it has a monopoly of sorts on the market, you might say, as any other texts I've perused lack the level of detail that this father-of-all-citation guides possesses.

As a brief aside, yes, citation format can be a pain and it can seem nitpicky, but it is beneficial for keeping track of sources in an orga
Jill Messer
Name: Jill Messer
Title: Gibaldi, Joseph. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers, 7th edition. New York, NY: Modern Language Association of America.
Type of Reference: Handbook
Call Number: R 808.02 G35m
Brief Description: This book is a step-by-step guide for any one who is writing a research paper. It provides an authoritative source of up to date information about the writing process and style.
Citation of a Review: Booklist review. (1995). Retrieved from http://booklistonline.com/MLA
Tom
Gibaldi, J. (2003). MLA handbook for writers of research papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: LB2369 .G53 2003

Description: This handbook is an easy-to-use reference that can be used to guide students through the task of doing the groundwork, writing and documenting effective research papers.

Content/Scope: Writing style, abbreviations, proper citations, and formatting are covered, along with new material on citing electronic informat
Tiffany Morgan
Gibaldi, J. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers (7th ed.). New York, NY: Modern Language Association Press.

Citation: Tiffany Morgan

Type of Reference: Handbook

Call Number: Ref 808

Content/Scope: This reference handbook contains useful information for anyone writing a research paper in MLA format. It includes step by step instructions.

Accuracy/Authority/Bias: It is published by the Modern Language Association of America and has been adopted by many universities to guide their st
What this book lacks in entertainment purposes it more then makes up for it in the educational aspects. There is not one element of MLA style that they have not covered in this book. If you are trying to cite something you can look it up in this book and they will have dozens of different examples for every possibility. I used this book a lot for my Comm III class and it helped me understand why I needed to do certain things while writing a paper. Also, if you are a organizational freak like me, ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
When I was in college this was the standard for research papers. And I'd agree it's much easier to use and more lucid than the Blue Book I'd later have to use for legal citations. It's true though that this edition, published in 1995 is probably dated. And given I've finished my higher education, I can't see a reason to keep it any longer on my shelves--but it sure gave good service during my college years--and if you're in or about to enter college--I'd certainly recommend getting whatever is t ...more
Caroline
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adults
This was my core book from my subject bibliographies class in school. It was incredibly useful and my copy has all my notes, highlights, and underlines of the key points of referencing print materials and web documents.

Purely reference. Lol, marking this as "read" amuses me, since I didn't read it cover to cover, though, my copy is well-used.

Too bad a the new edition is out so the shiny sixth is a bit out of date.
Jewels
I had originally purchased this book because it was required for my British Literature class. I find this odd, since he never assigned a paper. However, it did come in handy for the paper I had to write in my political science class, so there ya go. As far as instruction manuals go, this one was pretty in depth, yet easy to understand. If you are just starting out writing papers or if you need to put some polish on your work, this is a good volume to check out.
angrykitty
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
ho ho!! what fun!!! if you've ever had to take an english class....i'm sure you hate/love this book too!!! i don't even know how this book gets sold anymore. citation changes so often, and there really does seem to be a real shift towards ama, or apa, or whatever the hell the citation that starts with an a is....
M Mendi
Mind boggling read. All in all it has to be read to fit in, communicate, and be part of an association with such rules. At times i wished it would be in the shape of info graphs. Explaining through nice attention grasping, not dull illustrative examples. If this..If that..If...If...If...In cases of...
Stephanie Falck
The Purdue OWL is probably the best source in the world for anything writing, however this manual comes in at a close second to the OWL because of its ease of instruction. the instructions are clear and concise, and you don't have to hunt all over the book for the info you need.
Mara Eastern
A good guide for beginners, but it does not cover the needs of anyone actually serious with style. Contains some questionable advice, including the one on capitalising coordinating conjunctions in titles of works while setting subordinating conjunctions in lower-case. Seriously.
Rachael
Feb 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ELA teachers and ELA teachers ONLY
Recommended to Rachael by: MY ELA TEACHER IS FORCE-FEEDING IT TO US!!
UGH BLAH EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY did you have to make your contents SOOOOO SPECIFIC!!! I am having so much trouble writing my bibliography! Is the APA method any easier? I will see. But who cares, teachers decide anyways! ok I will stop complaining
Kristal
Good resource, but honestly I use citation builders on the internet as they are quicker and easier. I will be selling/donating this book as soon as I am done college.

Who actually enjoys reading this stuff?
Matt
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I'm reviewing this. But it's a bit rubbish. I keep getting sources which it doesn't specifically cover. Also, would be nice if they could explain exactly how to use MS Word to coordinate its facilities with the whole gamut of resources available.
Carl C
Sep 10, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: college students, teachers, professors
This book is a necessary reference for students who are required to write research papers in university, college, and school settings.

What's great is after purchasing the book, you can also access a site with the online version of the book that includes more examples/features.
Questionnaire 1 4 Oct 22, 2015 07:18AM
  • A Pocket Style Manual
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • 501 German Verbs
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association